Great Tunsley Dale Revisited

trains12

This is a superb layout.

One question about stock:

I noticed that some of your orange RMC hoppers have "RMC Aggregates" in italicised lettering on the side. I have not seen this variant on the livery before. Do you know which period it covered?

cheers

Ben A.

And the answer is that I believe when Bachmann approached RMC, BLI and Tilcon to arrange to reproduce their liveries on the new JGA model, RMC told Bachmann that they were intending to apply a new livery to their wagons and that it would have the RMC Aggregates branding on as per the model. What actually happened was that the livery was never applied in real life and using the text from my wagons site (blatant plug as it saves me typing it all out again LOL!) viz-

Now those of us who have brought the Bachmann 4mm scale models of the 3rd Batch of RMC hoppers No.s 19220-246 will realise that the first release (Cat. No. 37326) had a 'ficticious' livery which RMC asked for. The second release (Cat. No. 37326A wagon RMC 19228) had just the plain livery with the RMC diamond. You may have realised from the photo above that some of this batch also have the 'roadstone' lettering. After surveying the fleet during numerous visits to Peak Forest, I can confirm that wagons 19220 - 19225 and 19239 have the 'roadstone' marking applied. To view the fruits of my research then click here

RMC Liveries. The third release (Cat. No. 37326B) has also been released now numbered RMC 19238 again in plain livery.

Hope this answers the query. So really to be correct none of the RMC wagons should have that on but Peter decided to leave them as is. I just need to weather them up for him sometime (ducks sorry!). I have done one of my own with some homemade roadstone lettering and it looks pretty ok. I wish the N Gauge Society kit could be scaled up to make a 4mm version of the original rounded hoppers!

Thanks for all the photos Jamie! You took loads more than I thought!

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

And the answer is that I believe when Bachmann approached RMC, BLI and Tilcon to arrange to reproduce their liveries on the new JGA model, RMC told Bachmann that they were intending to apply a new livery to their wagons and that it would have the RMC Aggregates branding on as per the model. What actually happened was that the livery was never applied in real life and using the text from my wagons site (blatant plug as it saves me typing it all out again LOL!) viz-

Now those of us who have brought the Bachmann 4mm scale models of the 3rd Batch of RMC hoppers No.s 19220-246 will realise that the first release (Cat. No. 37326) had a 'ficticious' livery which RMC asked for. The second release (Cat. No. 37326A wagon RMC 19228) had just the plain livery with the RMC diamond. You may have realised from the photo above that some of this batch also have the 'roadstone' lettering. After surveying the fleet during numerous visits to Peak Forest, I can confirm that wagons 19220 - 19225 and 19239 have the 'roadstone' marking applied. To view the fruits of my research then click here

RMC Liveries. The third release (Cat. No. 37326B) has also been released now numbered RMC 19238 again in plain livery.

Hope this answers the query. So really to be correct none of the RMC wagons should have that on but Peter decided to leave them as is. I just need to weather them up for him sometime (ducks sorry!). I have done one of my own with some homemade roadstone lettering and it looks pretty ok. I wish the N Gauge Society kit could be scaled up to make a 4mm version of the original rounded hoppers!

Thanks for all the photos Jamie! You took loads more than I thought!

Cheers Paul

Cheers Paul

Hope that answers Bens question.

Still cant get over these shots of Jamie's. I did not think that the layout looked so good as to what it is in these photographs. I have still to finnish the weathering on the main buildings and also I can see where I need to add a little more detail to them. Will try and get some more of this done in the next few weeks before the Talysarn show. T that show i think we will run the layout in modern image. Will see if any of the local Rmweb members have any preference to which era they would like to see it running in.:unsure: I note that Andy Cooper was looking at it . I do hope that we get a invite from him to the new Manchester show next year. Miss going down to the club rooms at Dean Hall dropping in books etc since I moved to wales.

Peter

Years and years ago, I read a review of a model building kit in one of the American magazines which commented on how many layouts have one- or two- car sidings, then said "what's great about Walthers is that they make models of industries that look large enough that they would actually need rail service" (or words to that effect).

The same thing is absolutely true of this layout: huge industries that demand proper trains. More than anything, that's what I like about it. Lots of those photos are cool, but the one looking up at the cast-in "Dale Limestone Company" lettering is a touch of photoshopped sky (in the top corner) away from being impossible to identify as a model, if you ask me.

Jim

Years and years ago, I read a review of a model building kit in one of the American magazines which commented on how many layouts have one- or two- car sidings, then said "what's great about Walthers is that they make models of industries that look large enough that they would actually need rail service" (or words to that effect).

The same thing is absolutely true of this layout: huge industries that demand proper trains. More than anything, that's what I like about it. Lots of those photos are cool, but the one looking up at the cast-in "Dale Limestone Company" lettering is a touch of photoshopped sky (in the top corner) away from being impossible to identify as a model, if you ask me.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've tried to do a quick version of what you say, Hope you like it. I'll try and do the same thing on some of the other ones later on.

Warm Regards 7APT7

post-5212-12574760671912_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

I've tried to do a quick version of what you say, Hope you like it. I'll try and do the same thing on some of the other ones later on.

Warm Regards 7APT7

Nice bit of sky :) Good choice to go for the high, whispy clouds: they give it a bit more depth, IMHO. Smashing photo (as are many of the others, but this was my favourite).

Jim

• Like 1

Jamie I told you we would not get away with it taking photos of the real thing and saying it was a model.:icon_lol::::icon_lol:

peter

Hi Peter, But I did say if I had a higher offer in money terms I would do what ever...Doh...! But it is right, we should have gave this a shot first, and take photos and modify them, you would have saved the last 2+ Years and billion hours hard graft just to come 3rd at the show. At the next show we will blue screen the show so we can paint in whatever layout we want just for a laugh....!

I'll be posting more pictures shortly. Thanks Peter

Regards Jamie AKA 7APT7

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info on the hopper liveries. Very interesting! I had heard previously that Bachmann had done a "livery that never was" on the JGAs but didn't know which - now I do!

Another poster hit the nail right on the head with this layout: it really has a sense of purpose - ie with all that industry, trains have a real reason to be there!

BTW Paul I know Darren Sherwood scratchbuilt in 4mm one of the Standard Wagon JGAs (as depicted in the N Gauge Society kit) a few years ago.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Jim

Hi Jim

OK so I have worked on another Photoshop Sky Scene can you tell...JIM or Peter/Paul? And for Peter, Do you think People will notice it's not the real sky or should I say Building...Doh! I'll wait for the ???REPLY??? off other ???RMWeb??? members to comment before I modify any more....!

Thanks Jim for giving me the Idea and a second shot at doing another photo...!

Enjoy the BEFORE & AFTER shot...!

Warm Regards to all....JAMIE ...aka 7APT7

post-5212-12575559828589_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12575560922931_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Jamie

Keep on going with them all. they will look great and we can use them in a slide show i am thing of puting together on the building of the layout for the show in Dec.

Have been sorting some of the stock out ready for weathering and think I will hold a Sunday working party down at the unit so those that have offered to help can come down and see what we have?:rolleyes:The next major event is the removing of part of the inside wall at The Railway Study Centre so that we can fit Great Tunsley Dale into the room. At presentthe room is 27ft 6in long and the layout is 28ft long this was due to the fact that at an early stage in making the layout we decided to increase the length by 4ft to allow a better run in to the yard. The walls are two breeze block thick with the outer layer of stone so the idea is to take out one course of them and fit a RSJ in to take the above weight. this should give us nearly 1ft extra length. The other option is to take out the end wall and rebuild it completely. Good job I am used to inspecting structures etc. Mind you I have plans for a futher extenstion to the layout to make it nearly 40ft long.:rolleyes:

Anyway for the time being part of the layout is up and on display in my shop if any one wants to see it.

Peter

Just a few more pictures for all to see of the Hazel Grove Show and the Great Tunsley Dale Layout...

Peter... Do you think I have done a good job of deleting the BLUE SKY out and put the Hall in the Back Ground in stead...Just so Views don??™t see that there are real and not YOUR Layout...Doh...Just Kidding, I??™ll have a go at doing a Sky version of one of these later...Enjoy...!!!

Warm Regards 7APT7 aka Jamie

post-5212-12578059063221_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12578059424198_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12578060567786_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12578061118735_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12578061825197_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The trackwork is sublime. (no pun intended)

Yes, it looks very good. The scale and proportion of sleepers drew my eye in particular. Closeup shots appear to show flex track for plain line, and something like score lines on the timbers for pointwork which suggest PCB construction, but the point blades don't really fit this hypothesis - and I also think I spot an above baseboard peco point motor hidden in a shed at one point, which would indicate a mechanism with an over centre spring?

What's the secret here?

• Like 1

Yes, it looks very good. The scale and proportion of sleepers drew my eye in particular. Closeup shots appear to show flex track for plain line, and something like score lines on the timbers for pointwork which suggest PCB construction, but the point blades don't really fit this hypothesis - and I also think I spot an above baseboard peco point motor hidden in a shed at one point, which would indicate a mechanism with an over centre spring?

What's the secret here?

Hi Bloodnok

Yes the main track work is SMP flexi with all the point work hand made by the usual method of copper clad construction, hence the score marks. Dont uderstand your comments over the point blades? They are made just normally by filing down the rail both in the main rail and the blades. Point operation is via Seep motors PM4 with the added use of a small micro switch fitted to them for the operation of the electrical switching. The one you can see is a Hornby motor on a Peco switch with spring fitted. The reason was that I fitted the point in the wrong place right over a spar hence it has to be surface mounted. It has still to be covered and finished off on the detailing as have many other areas.

A great Layout great detail and great building construction, but OMG I have just realized its DC operated what a complicated system to run such a large layout with.

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes it can get very complicated but I just do not have the money at present to convert all my stock to DCC. I have four other exhibition layouts all of which are DC and the stock is used on them as well so I would have to convert about 250 plus engines and DMU's. I also have the large permanent layout Buxworth and Kyle which more stock runs on as well as the exhibition stock. ( It is in fact being stripped down for a new layout to incorporate GTD if we ever get the New building built for it all. (65ft x 25ft)). Paul at present has converted his layout to DCC and is at me in a subtle way as is Jamie to change to it. Most say it does have some advantages. If I win the 45 million on the lotto I will do it but till then I will have to put up with the nearly 1,000 yards of cable dozens of switchs and circuits and a B.... big head ache when things go wrong.

Thanks for the comments though.

Peter