DJH Q7 Build

Excellent thanks for your useful comments. I have put together a few white metal kits to date and have been reasonably satisfied with the results although some of the castings leave a lot to be desired. The nu cast J27 took a lot of sorting out to get it to resemble the real thing. I think in this case I will probably hold out for the brass kit of arthurs and develop another skill, pending on cash flow I might attmpt Dave Bradwells K1. By the way other than through the forum how does one order a kit from Arthur K or indeed see what he does??

I have to say i have really been taken in with this site and how it really inspires you to a better modelling standard. Hopefully i might be able to put together something of a thread at some point and aspire to your standard.

Chris W

Hi Chris, I totally agree with you regarding how this site and others encourage to try to better your efforts.

Sorry but the only way I know to contact Arthur is through the PM system on here. You will find picture of most of his kits featuring on his work bench as he test builds them. He usually mentions at varying points what he has available.

Horse. Did you mange to get your J27 from DB before he became elusive and is it a reasonable loco to build?....

I got mine from eBay. It had a couple of missing etches, but Dave let me have complete spares for very little, so it still worked out cheaper than buying new. As long as you follow the instructions you won't go wrong.

He even throws in a representation of inside motion, which looks like it could be made to work - you need a crank axle of the appropriate "throw" (difficult if you don't have a lathe) and a method of securing the inside big-ends.

DB is only "elusive" because he sometimes goes on canal boat holidays, as far as I know laugh.gif - as long as you write to him at South Muirnich Cottage, or e-mail, he will respond to you....

I am now back on with this project and looking at the back head. I will cut of the cast detail from the DJH offering and see what I can do with bit of copper wire, brass etc. Having looked again at the water gauges I may have another go as I am not quite as happy with them as I first thought. I will add some photos as I get parts together that I am happy with.

I have spent a couple of pleasant evenings making up the detail for the back head.

I just need to assemble it all now.

post-6713-12653160915898_thumb.jpg

After consulting the photo's that I took at North Road Museum I have also chopped down the seats from the seat shape supplied by DJH - shown earlier in the thread to two plain boxes.

I spent most of today painting and assembling the back head at one stage having to remake one of the water gauges after breaking of the handrail knob. :blink:

I had to have a couple of goes at getting the cab floor with the seat boxes to fit properly after cutting them down (it kept buckling the floor slightly despite several attempt to file it into submission). In the end I put the floor in the cab and soldered one seat to the floor while it was in the cab holding it with one hand. Not quite to Tony Wright's asbestos finger calibre but warm enough for me. B)

post-6713-12654779382295_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1265477936802_thumb.jpg

I still need to clean up the cab floor before final fitting

After posting yesterday??™s progress with the back head Bill Bedford posted a picture of the Q7 Cab during NER days NER T3 (about 2/3rds of the way down the page) which shows a lot less pipe-work in the cab than there is on the preserved one (I was loosely modelling based on photo??™s I had taken to give a representation).

After a bit of deliberation I decided rather than take apart the one I made earlier I would consign it to the future projects box and start again in brass.

This is progress so far, I have also managed to make the other water gauge it just needs fitting tomorrow. One advantage with making it from Brass the way that I have is that I can solder it to the floor and have it as a complete removable unit.

post-6713-12655819369023_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12655819391031_thumb.jpg

close up photo's are so cruel - it looks better in the flesh

• RMweb Premium

After a bit of deliberation I decided rather than take apart the one I made earlier I would consign it to the future projects box and start again in brass.

This is progress so far, I have also managed to make the other water gauge it just needs fitting tomorrow. One advantage with making it from Brass the way that I have is that I can solder it to the floor and have it as a complete removable unit.

post-6713-12655819369023_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12655819391031_thumb.jpg

close up photo's are so cruel - it looks better in the flesh

Bloomin' heck Rob. What a back-head. It looks amazing! :blink: I wish I had your patience. Ill have to take a bit more care with my efforts in the future; afraid my O1 won't have this detail (or my Q6 and many others!!!!!!!)

If you CBA could you bring that to Donny? I'd love to see it.

36E.

• RMweb Gold

Bloomin' heck Rob. What a back-head. It looks amazing! :blink: I wish I had your patience. Ill have to take a bit more care with my efforts in the future; afraid my O1 won't have this detail (or my Q6 and many others!!!!!!!)

If you CBA could you bring that to Donny? I'd love to see it.

36E.

If yo do, bring it to stand 96 'Fellburn', we would love to see it. :D

If yo do, bring it to stand 96 'Fellburn', we would love to see it. :D

Paul\36E by good fortune I have arranged to meet some fellow members by Fellburn so I shall bring it with me - I will try to bring it in a more finished state (despite saying I would have the other water gauge fitted I haven't got there yet (tonight all things being equal)

I made a bit more progress with the mark II version of the back head an it is now almost complete. I went along to the Doncaster show today and met a few fellow members. It's really good to put faces to names or pseudonyms, it was my first time at Doncaster and I was impressed. Living in Wakefield it is very close and I will be going again.

post-6713-12661029761554_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661029782188_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661029806709_thumb.jpg

While there amongst other things I picked up the Yeadon volume covering the Q5/6/7 and it has lots of detailed photos (they had quite a few reduced to half price that had no dust jackets -sadly the Q7 one wasn't one of these but I did get 25% off and managed to get the A1/3 volume for half price in prep for the A3 build when I get there). I also got some lost wax brake standards for the tender from the DMR stand.

While at Doncaster yesterday, someone asked me where I had got the etched hand wheels for the back-head and afterwards I realised that I hadn't answered as I had been distracted (at a model railway exhibition never :blink: ) Anyway they are from the Mainly Trains Loco detailing kit 1 MT227

The back-head is now finished and attached to the floor ready for painting.

post-6713-12661845661312_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661845816739_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661845863876_thumb.jpg

post-6713-1266184567871_thumb.jpg

I started work on some of the body detailing and managed to get the pipework for the mechanical lubricators done and the lubricator reservoir and pipe work on the cab front completed. I also discovered that I had taken a good close up shot of the steam reverser as it is now on the preserved Q7 so that along with the photos in the Yeadon volume showing me how it was originally should allow me to model it.

post-6713-12661845693597_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661845757397_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661845785103_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12661845833815_thumb.jpg

The last couple of days have been spent making and adding more body detail. After much study of photo’s I managed to get a representation of the steam reverser. Also while studying photos of these engines in the twenties and thirties some of them (but not all seemingly have a set of four pipes that come out of the cab and terminate at a valve arrangement on the left hand side of the smoke box. This Valve arrangement and the valve for the steam reverser were made from some micro bore tube that is 0.8mm O/D and 0.3mm I/D. The Reverser having 5 separate parts not including the “pipes†– I wasn’t impressed when up on completion it pinged out of the tweezers into space, but I fought the carpet monster and for once one the day.

I also managed to get the anti vacuum valve and the smoke box door dart fitted along with the cab handrails. This makes detailing above the footplate almost complete. I need to source some replacement whistles. I believe I have seen a suitable Markits one at my local model shop. I have the day of tomorrow so weather permitting (we had four inches of snow this morning) I will pick one up.

I will add the photos once the site allows

Pictures to go with the text above.

post-6713-126695707156_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695707464_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695708053_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695707823_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695707648_thumb.jpg

It has been pointed out that the valves sit at a jaunty angle and I have since corrected it :blink:

I have also stuck etched hand wheels on the lubricators over the cast ones and was surprised at how effective they look (IMHO of course).

Pictures to go with the text above.

post-6713-126695707156_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695707464_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695708053_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695707823_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126695707648_thumb.jpg

It has been pointed out that the valves sit at a jaunty angle and I have since corrected it :blink:

I have also stuck etched hand wheels on the lubricators over the cast ones and was surprised at how effective they look (IMHO of course).

The last few days have been spent adding further detail to the body. A lot of the pictures in my Yeadon’s show the Q7 as having two whistles. I got one from the local model shop, a Markits product, the tall one I made from a piece of micro-bore tube I mounted them on a piece of bar to create the mounting.

post-6713-126756680137_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126756681189_thumb.jpg

Next I created and fitted the mechanism that I believe operated the sanding equipment and the lamp iron on top of the smoke-box. I have also made some lamp irons for the front but I haven’t fitted them yet.

post-6713-126756680423_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126756680806_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126756680981_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126756680622_thumb.jpg

Over the weekend I built the tender. Unfortunately the camera battery gave out just as I was starting to take build pictures of the tender giving me just a couple of the bunker.

post-6713-126756700276_thumb.jpg

The Water filler Cap and the brake standard castings I replaced with ones from DMR obtained at Doncaster. I realised that I had them too close together on the first photo so I moved the filler cap back and covered the resulting hole with a piece of brass plate with some rivet impressions on it. I intend to order a GW models rivet press next week so these should be the last rivets that are not exactly in a straight line.

The rear coal rail I made up from brass bar to replace the broken white metal casting that came with the kit.

So here it is virtually complete. I still have to work out how to fit brake gear to it.

post-6713-126756701027_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12675670124_thumb.jpg

post-6713-126756701476_thumb.jpg

post-6713-12675670172_thumb.jpg

I have now finished all the above the footplate detailing having fitted the lamp irons tonight after taking the buffer beam off and putting it back on the right way up :blink:

I also managed to get the cylinders, crossheads etc fitted fitted and working on Saturday. I just need lamp irons and a grab rail on the back of the tender and the brakes fitting before it's finished.

Hopefully pictures tomorrow - I haven't the energy tonight.

Thanks for the kind words Boogaloo.

I have to admit that sometimes when feedback is a bit quiet as to wondering whether anyone is looking - I don't really register view counts but perhaps I should. I apologise for the lack of update pictures but I forgot it was the wife's birthday when promising them for today.

I have just popped on while Family are delivering birthday greetings.

Archived