A different view of Miami from a loco drivers perspective

shortliner

Hello Jack,

As usual, you come up with really great videos, thanks! That was quite a treat - at first i thought it was going to be a full prototype video!

The use of flares is interesting, are they used merely as a warning (in which case, do they work?) or are they enforcable by law?

Cheers,

John E.

Hello Jack,

As usual, you come up with really great videos, thanks! That was quite a treat - at first i thought it was going to be a full prototype video!

The use of flares is interesting, are they used merely as a warning (in which case, do they work?) or are they enforcable by law?

Cheers,

John E.

Dear John,

The use of flares ("Fusee" in RR parlance) is covered in the FRA and NORAC rules, which cover most US RR operations.

However, overlaid on these rules are the individual RR's own rules, county and state laws, and a swag of other factors.

In short, AFAIK

- flares are valid warning devices according to FRA/NORAC/AAR, and are the reccomended substitute for flags during night and low-visibility situations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oymvh-ibDYc

(protecting a grade crossing, where the train has been stopped on the detection circuit, and the gates may "time out".

It may be the camera, but notice how the 2 fusees on either side of the crossing are about the same brightness as the high-intensity crossing lights)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neeUKqjB7IY

(Fusees used as safety devices on a RR VS RR junction/diamond. Read the Description for the whole story, Interesting!)

Intriguing, plenty of light = no need for fusees

(Brooklyn, NYC, subway car move in the streets)

- flares are not to be placed, lit, or used where risk of fire is present

(there are reccomended ways of throwing/mounting them on the ballast so that the molten sulphur doesn't ignite wooden sleepers)

- in some states and counties, RRs are encouraged _not_to_ put flares on grade crossings or road surfaces, for fear of damage to the road itself.

That said, it appears the average county sheriff does it on a regular basis as required, and there's no inherrent chemical/heat differences between Marine Flares, Sheriff Warning Flares, and RR Flares AFAIK...

(RR flares are made with specific burn times, which relate to specific RR rules...

EG On some Old RRs , Train A threw a 10min fusee out of the caboose onto the tracks as they travelled along.

If following Train B met a fusee which was still burning, they knew they were within 10 minutes of catching up with Train A ahead of them...)

- while the individual RRs will most likely recognize a flare on/near their RR as a warning device,

there's no guarantee that a unwary/uncaring motorist won't simply "drive on thru" the burn-one's-eyeballs bright red flaming thing in the middle of the street...

(If you've ever searched YouTube for "train crossing close call", you'll see some wonderful examples of no-idea-how-big-fast-dangerous-a-train-is),

Hope this Helps...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dave - you may have noticed that there is another German guy on there, posting as "Faraway" (Reinhard, I think) who has recently moved the setting of his layout from northern USA to southern USA - not quite to the standard of Lance and Kurt - but trying hard!

His current layout is here http://www.the-gauge...=faraway#p52583

Kurts (cnw1961) is called Plymouth Street. http://www.the-gauge...php?f=46&t=3320

These German Guys are doing some good USA modelling, I must say

It costs you to join, but TrainOrders.Com is probably the best - their modelling section has some superb stuff, Including today a series of photos of a Southern Pacific SDP-45 loco modelled, detailed and painted by Betsy Allen, to museum quality standards - she is possibly the premier diesel loco builder going. Unfortunately their terms and conditions prevent cross-posting to other forums like this one, so I can't show it to you - possibly a good thing as the sales of drool buckets would go through the roof.

I've been thinking that Lance's HO scale East Rail layout needs an N scale tribute. Just been pondering the idea, that's all.wink.gif

I agree with Jack about Trainorders.com. Probably the best site of its genre in the U.S. The modeling side can be a little weak occasionally, but the other forums more than compensate. Well moderated and informative. It's worth parting with some shekels.

I joined yesterday. $34.00

You were right about Elizabeth (Betsy) Allen, Jack. I would hate it if she charged an hourly rate though!

Some guys on here would find her work useful.

What's the deal on their webcams, though? I was hoping to just have one running in the background but it's more like snapshots of various times of the day.

Best, Pete.

What's the deal on their webcams, though? I was hoping to just have one running in the background but it's more like snapshots of various times of the day.

Instead of running all day showing nothing happenning they are triggered by the trains (or occasionally a passing small animal!)

• 1 month later...

Dear John,

The use of flares ("Fusee" in RR parlance) is covered in the FRA and NORAC rules, which cover most US RR operations.

However, overlaid on these rules are the individual RR's own rules, county and state laws, and a swag of other factors.

SNIP

Hope this Helps...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Dear RMWebbers,

Just saw this Youtube, FFwd to 2min 20sec to see the remains of a fusee burning out on the concrete gradecrossing/tarmac...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all

Some cracking modelling on some of those links. I have been trawling the interweb for modelling / prototype pages about the New Mexico lines and it's amazing the standard of modelling you come across whilst doing so.

Never knew about the 10min gap fusee thing. Wonder if a highway version would work for all those tailgaters on the M1? :D

Thanks

Prof.

Awesome video.

I want to make a trip to El Segundo, and Torrance in LA. Been talking to a Military buddy down there that also is a Rail Fan.

Agree. Covers what I most like about USA Ops.

Thanks, Proff.!

Best, Pete.

Dear RMWebbers,

Just saw this Youtube, FFwd to 2min 20sec to see the remains of a fusee burning out on the concrete gradecrossing/tarmac...

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

Added to my favourites - superb video but raises so many questions.

First, the fusee hardly slows things down - not quite the operational pause Lance suggested?

Second, does anyone make MTA blue line cars in HO - they'd make a great moving backdrop for an LA based layout.

Archived