Interfrigo/Ferry Vans

Guest 40-something

Guest 30-something

Hi Folks

Does anyone know if a prototype existed of the Airfix/Dapol Interfrigo Refridgerator van and if so, when where these vans in service?

Also the same question this time regarding the Hornby Ferry van.

Thinking of adding a few extra vans to my fleet and these would add some variety!

There were thousands of them built by and for several different countries in the later 1950s. I have a drawing for the Italian version and it matches the Dapol one exactly. I believe it was a standard design approved by the UIC (like the RCH in this country). Bear in mind that the kit is HO scale and will look undersize with 4mm stock.

The Hornby one (of the BR ferry van?) is a bit late for me but I gather it's a reasonable model. There's a set pof photos on Paul Bartlett's website and there has been discussion of it on here, or perhaps the old forum.

For extra variety you could scratchbuild one or two; I've done so, as has Jon Hall, if you look for our WB threads. There are photos all over the web and a book of BR diagrams available to download from here. Transfers in 4mm are available from Precision Labels.

• Like 1

from a photocopy of the SNCF society journal #108 (Dec 02), Andy Hart did a brief run down on the type.

The Airfix seems to be a UIC-ORE type 1 (funny that -that's what the Airfix decal sheet says! ) - strictly continental loading guage, there is a drawing 6600mm w/b, 11740 over buffers, 3920 from rail head to top of roof.

Numbers 525000-019 (built Brugeoise & Nivelles 1956) had internal meat rails, and 525100-499 (built Cadoux 1957/8 ) didn't. Andy Hart suggests that there were multiple country registrations.

l'Obsidienne do etched N/S railings/ladders, and Andy Hart does 3 types of transfers - two STEF types, and a late design of INTER FRIGO with the stylised snowflake - I have his contact details and a more up to date list of his transfers if anyone wants it.

Jon

• Like 1

although the interfrigo van is H0 it doesn't look that out of place next to 00 stock, as the prototype was built to a slightly larger loading gauge, I have built a couple of them and can confirm that the kit goes together nicely, the transfers supplied with the kit did wrinkle somewhat when applied, but maybe that was just because my kits were old ones that had been in storage for a few years.

As for the Hornby ferryvan, this is of a very numerous prototype that was in use for decades, from the 60s onwards I believe, there may even be a few still in departmental service today. There are a few easy ways to improve this model......the large circular moulding in the middle of the roof is unprototypical (some sort of moulding feed?), removing it makes a big difference to the appearance of the vehicle. The opening doors have resulted in overscale door runners, so if you dont need them to open a bit of work with plasticard and strip can make the model much finer, and the chassis has the usual Hornby swinging axles that were used on the older long wheelbase models, if you don't need it to go round first radius curves then it is worth glueing up the pivots and removing the springy plastic tails and their retaining loops, this will not only improve the appearance of the model but also make it a much more stable runner. Theres loads more that can be done but those are the main bits that spring to mind.

hope this helps

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by this thread I've bought a pair of Dapol Interfrigo vans.

Does anyone know what the main body colour should be (the instructions say refer to the box illustration, which is a black and white drawing on the re-release).

And does anyone have any good photos?

Thanks.

The book 'International Train-Ferry Wagons in Colour' by David Ratcliffe (Ian Allen) contains a couple of decent photos of BR ferry vans (same as the Hornby model) and photos of Interfrigo vans, a different variety from the Airfix/Dapol model unfortunately.

the last 3 ferrry vans on the network are sat in eastfield yard at peterborough. one in each livery, railfreight, dutch and a bauxite one. but be quick for a look the grim reaper is coming soon. if you would like photos of any detail on them let me know and ill see what i can do for you.

• Like 1

the last 3 ferrry vans on the network are sat in eastfield yard at peterborough. one in each livery, railfreight, dutch and a bauxite one. but be quick for a look the grim reaper is coming soon. if you would like photos of any detail on them let me know and ill see what i can do for you.

Plenty preserved though.

There is a nice photo on my hard drive (that I haven't been able to trace back to where online I acquired it from) showing a BR ferryvan when nearly new, judging by the filename its at Bad Schandau, in East Germany, probably about to head into Czechoslovakia. A couple of wagons further down the train is a modest 4 wheel open with four Trabants loaded two abreast!

J

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

from a photocopy of the SNCF society journal #108 (Dec 02), Andy Hart did a brief run down on the type.

The Airfix seems to be a UIC-ORE type 1 (funny that -that's what the Airfix decal sheet says! ) - strictly continental loading guage, there is a drawing 6600mm w/b, 11740 over buffers, 3920 from rail head to top of roof.

Numbers 525000-019 (built Brugeoise & Nivelles 1956) had internal meat rails, and 525100-499 (built Cadoux 1957/8 ) didn't. Andy Hart suggests that there were multiple country registrations.

l'Obsidienne do etched N/S railings/ladders, and Andy Hart does 3 types of transfers - two STEF types, and a late design of INTER FRIGO with the stylised snowflake - I have his contact details and a more up to date list of his transfers if anyone wants it.

Jon

I can't find any reference to the etched railings/ladders on their site - are they still available? (That could be due to my 'limited' French and the translater). And if so can you get them over here?

The L'Obdidienne stuff looks quite good from the little that I've seen of it - I fist became aware of them when I bought a Copy of LocoRevue 'Superdetaillez votre material roulant HO' 1/2005, which had lists of detail parts for rolling stock - the wagon details page, was exactly that, 1 page that had a list of every detail part available from all manufacturers!! That had an article on detailing the Jouef Grainflow with a L'Obdidienne etch. I notice there is a more recent version http://www.lrpresse.fr/lr/product_info.php?cPath=61_62_77&products_id=3656

The part number for the Dapol Interfrigo detailing kit is 8008 (the grainflow is 8034)

The Address on the AMF website seems to be correct for L'Obsidienne, 4 Allée des Maronniers, 92290 CHATENAY MALABRY, Tél:0146610978 . Are there any French speaking RMwebbers that could give them a call and find out about shipping to the UK as well as prices and payment?

I'd quite like a set of these, perhaps we could create a combined RMweb order to the UK and then post them onward?

Jon

• Like 1

The L'Obdidienne stuff looks quite good from the little that I've seen of it - I fist became aware of them when I bought a Copy of LocoRevue 'Superdetaillez votre material roulant HO' 1/2005, which had lists of detail parts for rolling stock - the wagon details page, was exactly that, 1 page that had a list of every detail part available from all manufacturers!! That had an article on detailing the Jouef Grainflow with a L'Obdidienne etch. I notice there is a more recent version http://www.lrpresse.fr/lr/product_info.php?cPath=61_62_77&products_id=3656

The part number for the Dapol Interfrigo detailing kit is 8008 (the grainflow is 8034)

The Address on the AMF website seems to be correct for L'Obsidienne, 4 Allée des Maronniers, 92290 CHATENAY MALABRY, Tél:0146610978 . Are there any French speaking RMwebbers that could give them a call and find out about shipping to the UK as well as prices and payment?

I'd quite like a set of these, perhaps we could create a combined RMweb order to the UK and then post them onward?

Jon

Jon,

I could have a go if you like- shame they haven't got E-mail/web site, isn't it?

• Like 1

Jon,

I could have a go if you like- shame they haven't got E-mail/web site, isn't it?

Yes please Brian, I've just made my first post on the LR forum and been gently teased about having translated scale model into Balance model!

I'd want a couple of sets of Dapol van detailing bits as well.

Thher used to be someone selling their kits on ebay.fr, but I couldn't find any when I just looked. I used to keep a copy of the photo's and was building myself an ilustrated catalog that way - perhaps you could enquire if they do such a thing?

Thanks,

Jon

• Like 1

The book 'International Train-Ferry Wagons in Colour' by David Ratcliffe (Ian Allen) contains a couple of decent photos of BR ferry vans (same as the Hornby model) and photos of Interfrigo vans, a different variety from the Airfix/Dapol model unfortunately.

That is because the Dapol Interfrigo Van is not a train-ferry type, being built to the larger continental loading gauge which precludes its use in Britain. It also does not have vaccuum brakes or even a vaccuum conduit pipe which would be require for working in British express trains of the period,

I do not have a copy of David Ratclife's book but the Interfrigo vehicles shown on Paul Bartlet's site (referenced elsewhere in this thread) are a different type which was specially designed for ferry working. If you look at the first photo on his site it shows one working in a British train and coupled to another ferry van from an unknown administration.

Note.

1. The vaccuum pipes are connected.

2. The vaccuum standpipe of the Interfrigo vehicle is painted white which means it is a through conduit only.

3. The vehicle has the yellow painted lugs for attaching the holding down chains while aboard a ferry.

4, The vehicle bears the anchor symbol which indicates it is suitable for ferry traffic.

The vehicles which are the prototype of the Dapol one were a standard basic design used by a number of different railways and fitted out internally for some different traffics.

Several model manufacturers have offered these in HO in a variety of styles and liveries.

The majority of Interfrigo vans were registered by the FS (Italy) and attached to Chiasso which is on the Swiss/Italian border and has a large Interfrigo depot, used, I believe for customs inspection.

Interfrigo's administrative headquarters are located further north in Basel, Switzerland.

Hope this helps,

Alex

• Like 1

That is because the Dapol Interfrigo Van is not a train-ferry type, being built to the larger continental loading gauge which precludes its use in Britain. It also does not have vaccuum brakes or even a vaccuum conduit pipe which would be require for working in British express trains of the period,

I do not have a copy of David Ratclife's book but the Interfrigo vehicles shown on Paul Bartlet's site (referenced elsewhere in this thread) are a different type which was specially designed for ferry working. If you look at the first photo on his site it shows one working in a British train and coupled to another ferry van from an unknown administration.

Note.

1. The vaccuum pipes are connected.

2. The vaccuum standpipe of the Interfrigo vehicle is painted white which means it is a through conduit only.

3. The vehicle has the yellow painted lugs for attaching the holding down chains while aboard a ferry.

4, The vehicle bears the anchor symbol which indicates it is suitable for ferry traffic.

The vehicles which are the prototype of the Dapol one were a standard basic design used by a number of different railways and fitted out internally for some different traffics.

Several model manufacturers have offered these in HO in a variety of styles and liveries.

The majority of Interfrigo vans were registered by the FS (Italy) and attached to Chiasso which is on the Swiss/Italian border and has a large Interfrigo depot, used, I believe for customs inspection.

Interfrigo's administrative headquarters are located further north in Basel, Switzerland.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Whilst I would agree that the Dapol wagon represents a wagon built to Berne gauge, rather than to the more restrictive UK one, there were wagons to a similar design introduced for 'Ferry' traffic in the late 1950s- these lasted into the 1970s, when the type shown on Paul Bartlett's site were introduced. Apart from the body shape - 'square' end on the earlier ones and sloping roof ends on the later ones- the doors were larger on the later vehicles, to facilitate loading pallets, whilst the refrigeration system was changed from one based on melting ice in roof compartments to an electric one using axle-driven generators. The majority of wagons were Italian-registered, but I believe there were also some Spanish-registered ones, operated by Transfesa and painted silver.

Page 85 of 'Working Wagons, Volume 1' by David Larkin has a photo of a Belgian-registered example ( though intended for through working to Iberia)- the facing page shows an even earlier style, with an apex-roof and ice hatches in the sides, registered by FS (Italy)in 1949.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I am having a go at modelling a standard BR ferry van using the old Hornby model as a basis. I have heard it rumoured that the body moulding on this model is 1mm too narrow. However, I've found a scale drawing of the van in Don Rowland's "British Railways Wagons - the First Half Million" (Leopard - ISBN 0 7529 0378 0).

From the dimensions provided in that, I've calculated that the external body width (excluding the doors), should be 30mm (in 4mm scale). The width of the body moulding agrees precisely with that dimension and therefore appears to be spot-on. Can anyone shed any light on the true situation?

Thanks

Karl:(