Interfrigo/Ferry Vans

Guest 40-something

• 2 months later...

My only purchases at the east London Finescale show today were no less than four built Airfix interfrigo wagons at 50p each, these are being dismantled (not entirely sympathetically) to recover the roof for further cut&shuts, but before I destroy them all, one was photographed to give an indication of how short it is vs a scale length conversion.

post-336-0-22945900-1351968158.jpg

Jon

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

A shame jonhall didn't continue until the finished wagon could be seen.

My initial comment is that the Airfix as show is a different diagram number to that he's building.

The Airfix/Dapol kit is an early diagram and the best reference I've found is of DB.524103 on

a Dutch archive website. The Airfix kit correctly has a straight roof edge above the doors &

no external angle bracing, being DB.524113 just 10 chassis later than the on-line picture taken

in 1957.

It's such a shame that they were done to HO scale & although in prototype shorter than jonhall's

version should be longer than the model. I'm just finishing mine as per kit which in HO is very good.

The picture just google DB.524103 De Koelwagen. Oh and I'm certain the roof was aluminium

(paint?).

Dad-1

There were a couple of problems with the interfrigo, the first is that this was intended to be a master for resin casting - the modifications I had to do to fit a recessed door rather spoilt the idea of using it that way, so it then just became a 'prototype'.

The second problem was the need to etch some steps for the end, and I've never been able to draw them in a fashion that will be both easy to assemble and look acceptable on the model - I must have a look at the ACME HO wagon for some inspiration.

As others have pointed out, the airfix/Dapol kit is an HO model of a non-ferry wagon, built in large numbers and registered all over Europe.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

There were a couple of problems with the interfrigo, the first is that this was intended to be a master for resin casting - the modifications I had to do to fit a recessed door rather spoilt the idea of using it that way, so it then just became a 'prototype'.

The second problem was the need to etch some steps for the end, and I've never been able to draw them in a fashion that will be both easy to assemble and look acceptable on the model - I must have a look at the ACME HO wagon for some inspiration.

As others have pointed out, the airfix/Dapol kit is an HO model of a non-ferry wagon, built in large numbers and registered all over Europe.

Jon

Are the steps on the end of your wagon the same as the steps for the type modelled by Airfix? A French outfit (Obsidienne) did a brass etch for those.

Yes, except the body side is deeper so the steps won't reach, and obsidienne was difficult to reach at the best of times, and I noticed in the LR press forum earlier in the year that the proprietor had passed away, so I felt it wasn't a very promising lead.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Yes, except the body side is deeper so the steps won't reach, and obsidienne was difficult to reach at the best of times, and I noticed in the LR press forum earlier in the year that the proprietor had passed away, so I felt it wasn't a very promising lead.

Jon

Bob Wyatt at Scalelink used to have some dealings with him and might be able to help. But if the steps won't reach, that does not help.

Hi Jon,

Thank you for letting us know what became of the project. One thing for certain there is no rule of modelling that says everything will work

out as intended. No long-term modeller will have missed the experience of something flying across the room & into the bin !!

If the Airfix had been a true 'Ferry' wagon I would have been tempted to enlarge one based on the kit, but I don't do Continental modelling

so don't feel inclined to waste the time, yet there is that niggle at the back of my mind ........

Dad-1

• 4 years later...

Ive said to myself that while I am building a model of Walton Liverpool ill try and build or acquire any interesting wagons that ive got evidence of that ran through there to Huskisson.  This shot of Huskisson has bugged me for a while as there are 2 vans on the left.

Has there been any developments in the last few years of a 00 scale model? 
E5A4F287-FF86-4DE9-A12E-AFF2ADA61C8B.jpeg.ed95936ef322bc1b4f61b7b0da29b16a.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2010 at 23:07, jonhall said:

Plenty preserved though.

There is a nice photo on my hard drive (that I haven't been able to trace back to where online I acquired it from) showing a BR ferryvan when nearly new, judging by the filename its at Bad Schandau, in East Germany, probably about to head into Czechoslovakia. A couple of wagons further down the train is a modest 4 wheel open with four Trabants loaded two abreast!

J

Would love to see this, I've never seen a photo of a BR ferry van of any sort on a mainland European railway. I have actually seen one for real though, a brief glimpse of one somewhere along the Rhine in 1981.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Ive said to myself that while I am building a model of Walton Liverpool ill try and build or acquire any interesting wagons that ive got evidence of that ran through there to Huskisson.  This shot of Huskisson has bugged me for a while as there are 2 vans on the left.

Has there been any developments in the last few years of a 00 scale model? 
E5A4F287-FF86-4DE9-A12E-AFF2ADA61C8B.jpeg.ed95936ef322bc1b4f61b7b0da29b16a.jpeg

No news on Interfrigo wagons, I'm afraid. However, your photo has an interesting wagon in the foreground; a Shock open with the sort of vertical battens that would be used to secure partitions. Whilst I've seen those on the larger Shochood B, I've never previously seen them on one of the smaller wagons.

• Like 2

I once saw a photo by Ron Platt of a BR standard box van in a yard somewhere in Germany. That was back in the late 1960s when he showed the slide at an MRC members slide show evening. I don't quite know how the continental railways dealt with unbraked trains in those days which this would have been as they didn't use the vacuum brake!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

However, your photo has an interesting wagon in the foreground; a Shock open with the sort of vertical battens that would be used to secure partitions. Whilst I've seen those on the larger Shochood B, I've never previously seen them on one of the smaller wagons.

This photograph https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brshockopenwood/e12559a2e  shows a PARTITION FITTED shock open. It has the noticeable nuts in a line on the side similar to the Shochood B. Unfortunately it is not written for any particular circuit.

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

FWIW,  I unloaded an Interfrigo van in Saltley Goods Yard one snowy morning during the Winter of Discontent. It would be in the February and we were collecting Italian peaches.

I remember being astounded with the similarity to the Airfix kit I had made some ten years before, the only difference I noted at the time, something to do with the door ( the locking mechanism?)

I shouldn’t be too quick to imagine this was built to the continental loading gauge as it didn’t seem much taller than a standard 12 ton van. The doorway was just above my head and I’d have been about 5’11” in my boots.

Unfortunately there were no BR vehicles nearby to judge for height, in fact it was the only vehicle in the large yard, easily outnumbered by the five shunters and the clerk in the office!

Just eight years previously I’d taken a picture of a clerestoried departmental 6W passenger brake van in Inverness yard. All part of the passing scene!

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 11:19, roythebus said:

I once saw a photo by Ron Platt of a BR standard box van in a yard somewhere in Germany. That was back in the late 1960s when he showed the slide at an MRC members slide show evening. I don't quite know how the continental railways dealt with unbraked trains in those days which this would have been as they didn't use the vacuum brake!

Standard BR van or an SR eliptical roof type? There is (I believe) an SR uneven plank van preserved at Strasshof in Austria that is ex-WD workshop train - that has certainly appeared in published photos.

* much of the stuff at Strasshof is, I understand, 'as withdrawn scrapline' so I imagine a foreign van is also.

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Like 1

I'm certain the van Ron showed was a BR ventilated van like the Airfix meat van but not a meat van, not a Southern eliptical roof van.

• Like 1

I recently acquire an SNCB Belgian railways rule book, that has special instructions for running Brotish wigons that were in common use in Belgium in the 1950, it even lists the wagon numbers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, roythebus said:

I recently acquire an SNCB Belgian railways rule book, that has special instructions for running Brotish wigons that were in common use in Belgium in the 1950, it even lists the wagon numbers!

A touch of the Crabtrees there :jester:. A lot of those wagons would have been built for the ROD and some even had brakemens hutches. They would also have had other continental features such as side chains and of course air brakes or at least through pipes.

1 hour ago, roythebus said:

I'm certain the van Ron showed was a BR ventilated van like the Airfix meat van but not a meat van, not a Southern eliptical roof van.

I'm sure you are right - I haven't seen the photo after all - just mentioning the one 12t I do know about (and obviously there were also some quite well known SR Ferry vans of the same basic arrangement but with differing brake gear and fittings/markings).

57 minutes ago, roythebus said:

Ohh - that's interesting! If a copy were to be possible please it would be very welcome?

Thanks,

Jon

• Like 1