Heljan 7mm Deltic

brian daniels

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of postings recently.. I've been having major problems with my ISP.. :angry:

I have all the Deltic bits drawn and ready to go.. question is, what do you want other than steps and headcodes etc?.. I could produce everything as per the 4mm version, but is there a demand?.. just let me know what else you want and I'll see what I can do.. ;)

Cheers!

Brian

(Extreme Etchings/Shawplan)

>>>>Sorry for the lack of postings recently.. I've been having major problems with my ISP.. :angry:

I have all the Deltic bits drawn and ready to go.. question is, what do you want other than steps and headcodes etc?.. I could produce everything as per the 4mm version, but is there a demand?.. just let me know what else you want and I'll see what I can do.. ;) Brian H<<<<<<<

Nice one Brian Incidently I only emailed you last evening enquiring about the headcode box covers so your above post was very timely. Although a box onto which the ETH socket is fitted could be made from a scrap bit of brass sheet it could be a suggested additional part .Also how difficult would it be to produce Timken Axlebox covers or are these already available elsewhere

How about the windcsreen surrounds as additional etched parts

I will leave to other experts to suggest further item

Finally an open question to fellow forum members does anybody produce a first class quality ETH socket box

Regards

Bob

Edited by Mod5
To place quote properly

There have been a number of postings on this thread from recent owners of the model that are more than happy with the product. There are of course those of us that have looked a little closer (albeit only at photos) and made a few comments on areas of possible improvement, and then there are those that have first hand experience of the model, such as Mr Daniels. I suspect there are many items that could be useful on this model, for those striving for perfection... but possibly an expert eye might be needed before Mr Hanson devotes too much of his precious time and money to producing all the details parts... although having them in 4mm will obviously help.

I'm sure the "dialogue" is already in process... but I'm sure there's no rush to convert and improve them straight away (?) although I expect that some may want that straight away... let the parts listing and discussion continue... I'll reserve judgement until seeing one up close. Enjoy.

Mine, D9020 Nimbus, has just arrived. Looks very nice and is a good runner. Etched name plates look very nice.

Put a Loksound XL in it and although a little bit of rewiring needs doing its easy. I've not installed the speaker properly yet as I need to source one to fit the fuel tank. The knock out disk in the metal chassis that was in the 37 is not there so I cannot fit the speaker I had intended to use. So I have just thrown in a base reflex one for now until I can get a better one.

But well happy irrespective of the niggles people have pointed out. Have already e mailed Tower saying thnaks for the great service and another order will be coming there way for more.

• Like 1

Brian,

Yes I would like to buy some etches of the the plated over headcode box fo the 7mm Deltic - all I can say is please make sure you get the 2 raised circles the correct distance apart for the Deltic (as that makes it). I would similarly also like to fit some to a Heljan class 47 to create a plated over version of that too so double the sales! Can't wait.

• RMweb Gold

I would similarly also like to fit some to a Heljan class 47 to create a plated over version of that too so double the sales! Can't wait.

Currently available. We'll be at Model Rail live and Scaleforum next, bring your wallet :mosking:

They are sized to fit the wildly inaccurate Heljan headcode box.

Who/which company? are you Enterprisingwestern as I would be interested in having a look into purchasing - is there a website where I can view? I have seen some in the past (not sure who made them) but the marker lights seemed too close together if I recall? Please advise.

Excuse me for asking, but being new to O Gauge I have purchased a Heljan Deltic and I am at a loss as to how to fit the plethora of detailing parts to the loco. I have looked at the picture in the accompanying leaflet, but it makes little sense to the contents of the packet. Do some the parts need gluing together before fitting to the loco? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in anticipitation

• RMweb Gold

Who/which company? are you Enterprisingwestern as I would be interested in having a look into purchasing - is there a website where I can view? I have seen some in the past (not sure who made them) but the marker lights seemed too close together if I recall? Please advise.

Apologies, I asume if I know you do too!!

Extreme Etchings/Shawplan is the company.

Regrettably they aren't currently on the website due to pressure of work etc, but are available at any exhibitions attended.

Managed to see the model first hand yesterday and all I can say is over to you Pete Waterman (JLTRT). What a missed opportunity Heljan just haven't put the time into their research, it's as easy to get it right as it is to get it wrong. From a distance it looks quite ok but then your eyes are drawn to things, roof grilles - too deep, fuel tanks too low off the body, roof shape wrong, cab windows too small. On the blue model the colours are fantastic but the green one just doesn't carry it off. You could get into bogie detail too. LH Loveless will bring out a production model next year but expect £2000, it will be bang on but at a price and I was hoping Heljan would do the deal on this one and they haven't. The price is great but JLTRT will be similar only you have to build it but I'm sure they will spend the time on the research.

It's not like there isn't plenty of source material to work from either. Thing is people were pointing out some of the errors right from the first shots of the bodyshell being released, and Heljan, as per previous, disregarded the views of people who know what shape a Deltic is and made it to that tooling anyway.

One of the problems that I see with Heljan is that when a first off loco comes out, is that it's from the actual moulds that the production run will come from, so to change the moulds at that time would cost a small fortune.

If Heljan were to use rapid prototyping to prove the CAD/CAM drawings before making the moulds (the bit that costs several £1000s). It would cost a lot less to get the product to look right.

As a question, why did Heljan ask for comments about the loco and then not work on the replies? See above.

OzzyO.

As a question, why did Heljan ask for comments about the loco and then not work on the replies? See above.

OzzyO.

Because that's what they do. The cab "peak" on the D1000 and now the boiler exhaust on DP2 were all spotted immediatley on the first pics, and we all know how that worked out (off topic but I am willing to bet the DP2 issue stays the same on the production model, not that it's quite as serious as an obvious body shape faux pas). By the time they show any mouldings to the press or public they have already cut metal on tooling and hence have no real desire to scrap the tool and start again.

I suppose you have to ask what Heljans motives are and what market they are aiming at. Heljan seem to go for low production runs, that's what it seems like with, Class 17, 15, 86, maybe the 47 is an exception but you tend to get the impression that they're almost limited runs. It might suit Heljan to do this but for modellers who want changes like the way Bachmann have developed the Class 37 you won't get this with Heljan. I suppose the flip side is we're getting real oddities like Falcon, Lion and Kestrel. Like I said I hope JLTRT do the class a final justice and produce a winner, spend a week a month doing the research, there are still some drawings in the NRM and the real thing coud be scanned, it's not an easy shape but it's not impossible to replicate.

I thought Pete Waterman had indicated that when the Heljan model was announced there would no forthcoming Deltic model in the JLTRT range. The fact of the matter is that despite the issues raised here and elsewhere the Heljan example will sell in numbers and in doing so would undermine future sales of any Waterman produced example. Bearing in mind the cost of making one available in kit form would there be sufficient sales to recover the research/ production costs and make a profit. Im sure Mr Waterman a very shrewd businessman has done the figures.

Given what it takes to improve the Bachmann model... quite a bit, but well within the capability of most modellers, surely the Heljan offering could be turned into something extremely nice with a little effort (being sure that Brian H is watching); then there's the LHL offering in the pipeline too. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Edited by Jon020

Excuse me for asking, but being new to O Gauge I have purchased a Heljan Deltic and I am at a loss as to how to fit the plethora of detailing parts to the loco. I have looked at the picture in the accompanying leaflet, but it makes little sense to the contents of the packet. Do some the parts need gluing together before fitting to the loco? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in anticipitation

If you are still at a loss where the bits go I hope this helps.

You will have to remove the body to fit the moulding of the 2 white pipes as the hole for them is tucked up under the valance. This moulding goes on the end with the little access panal moulded on the side of the nose. To remove the body carefully remove the handbrake chain mouldings from the body. There are 4 screws underneath to undo near the inboard wheels next to the tank. If you want to remove fully there is a plug to remove on the fan control board. You might find that the plastic uprights are loose. I secured them with a bit of superglue. To fit the air pipes etc it is best to scrape the excess paint off the end and then push them into the holes on the bufferbeam. They are a force fit so do not need glueing in place. The bogie cab steps need glueing in place on the side of the bogies as well.

Brian

post-6766-0-02597600-1316432835.jpg

post-6766-0-46547600-1316432841.jpg

post-6766-0-73468500-1316432845.jpg

post-6766-0-73793200-1316432851.jpg

post-6766-0-44732200-1316432857.jpg

• Like 1

Just uploaded my Deltic going round the garden, singing for all she's worth Zonta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_rPFIUz4aE

It's fitted with a South West Digital sound chip and 2 bass reflex speakers in the tank. Not too sure about the class 47 compressor sound at the end though?

Must try it with some blue and greys next.

Edited by brian daniels
  • Like 1

surely the Heljan offering could be turned into something extremely nice with a little effort

You speak like it's not a million miles away from prototype fidelity, rather than being a rough approximation of an EE Type 5.

While I'm ranting - the headcode panel is too small as well....

You speak like it's not a million miles away from prototype fidelity, rather than being a rough approximation of an EE Type 5.

While I'm ranting - the headcode panel is too small as well....

To be honest, I suspect that all of these can be "fixed" if you're willing to cut plastic... but yes it's a shame that its not more accurate that it is... but that's that.