Class 40/44/45/46 on secondary/tertiary services?

puffernutter

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ivo Peters was on hand to record it's presence at Whatley Mike, he kept his ear tuned to the railway grapevine long after his beloved S&D was closed and lifted. From about 1968-76 he photographed quite a few rare workings on the Western, including the first Peak (165 I think, off the top of my head) to work into the new layout at Merehead for clearance tests.

Nidge ;)

Nidge, I think it was bit early in the morning for Ivo and I was definitely the only person who took any photos of it coming out of the final bit of tunnel (as there was only safe room for one person to stand in a position where it was possible to get a pic of it :rolleyes: )). However he might, I think, have turned up on the overbridge near the quarry entrance before we packed up for the day (and don't ask anything about a certain Class 47 which appeared one one of his book covers displaying 1V0. at a time when it was near impossible to find a loco with working indicator blinds ;)).

Class 40s regular performers on freight on the trans pennine routes in the 1980s

40077 Skipton 1980

post-1161-095985800 1283898446_thumb.jpg

40192 York 1981

post-1161-022868700 1283898460_thumb.jpg

40084 Diggle 1981

post-1161-018347600 1283898476_thumb.jpg

40001 Guide Bridge 1983

post-1161-053666600 1283898528_thumb.jpg

45/0 were used on freight in the North West and the South West (and probably in between)

45050 Man Vic 1983

post-1161-059234600 1283899140_thumb.jpg

45037 Man Vic 1986

post-1161-059614300 1283899142_thumb.jpg

45002 Teignmouth 1984

post-1161-052414100 1283899021_thumb.jpg

45069 Teignmouth 1985

post-1161-034768400 1283899019_thumb.jpg

45/1 were rare on freights in the North West

45140 Man Vic 1984

post-1161-095483600 1283899164_thumb.jpg

46's were also rare on freight in the North West

46032 Guide Bridge 1982

post-1161-025286300 1283899181_thumb.jpg

Nidge, I think it was bit early in the morning for Ivo and I was definitely the only person who took any photos of it coming out of the final bit of tunnel (as there was only safe room for one person to stand in a position where it was possible to get a pic of it :rolleyes: )). However he might, I think, have turned up on the overbridge near the quarry entrance before we packed up for the day (and don't ask anything about a certain Class 47 which appeared one one of his book covers displaying 1V0. at a time when it was near impossible to find a loco with working indicator blinds ;)).

Cheers Mike, funnily enough I've got the very book you refer to on the desk beside the pc! Bit of an old favourite, always worth a dip into for some sunny Western Region inspiration B)

Peaks again then..... in the early 80s the Bescot-Northampton tripper was rostered for a pair of 20s but occasionally threw up a 45 or a 46, the load often varied in length but I saw a 45 on the return working oneafternoon at Rugby in Decemebr '82, hauling a coal hopper (one of the old HEA's I think it was) and a pair of Speedlink vans.

Nidge

• RMweb Gold

I'd be very interested to see those ER diagrams from the sixties. Although the fill-in turns such as this one, no doubt courtesy of Edinburgh Control, may well be absent:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=29735

I shall try my best but I have been looking for them for quite a bit (I'm sporadically untidy and occasionally a serial hoarder) ... I was wanting to see if there was any information on Sheffield to London KX workings a while back - I seem to remember a 40 (sorry EE Type 4) working North to Sheffield and then tottering south on the GC to earn its keep while waiting for a departure south on the ECML later in the day - I was wondering if this was true and if it was how far it got?

• RMweb Gold

There are a few photos on reasonably mundane workings in my RM Web gallery: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=5613&do=view_album&album=99&sort_key=idate&order_key=DESC&prune_key=*&st=0

There are also some in my fotopic galleries - see the links in my signature.

David

... I was wanting to see if there was any information on Sheffield to London KX workings a while back - I seem to remember a 40 (sorry EE Type 4) working North to Sheffield and then tottering south on the GC to earn its keep while waiting for a departure south on the ECML later in the day - I was wondering if this was true and if it was how far it got?

Cant quote sources to verify that G, but I'm sure it's right - the Sheffield Pullmans seemed to provide outings for most new ER diesels and I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic of one of the Pilot Scheme 40s on the GC between Sheffield and Nottingham. In fact ISTR it was recently, but dont ask me whereblush_mini.gif

Cant quote sources to verify that G, but I'm sure it's right - the Sheffield Pullmans seemed to provide outings for most new ER diesels and I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic of one of the Pilot Scheme 40s on the GC between Sheffield and Nottingham. In fact ISTR it was recently, but dont ask me whereblush_mini.gif

I've seen pictures as well, I seem to recall it being mentioned as a Sunday Sheffield Vic-Nottingham Vic, the locos being one of the first ten, so possibly off the Harwich boat train on Saturday? They were based in East Anglia then weren't they? On holiday at the moment so unable to dive through my books to verify.

Also my last haulage by a peak was 45141 standing in for a failed sprinter on a Nottingham-Leeds service, no real idea of the date, but possibly Easter 88-89? May have been on my way to York. It seemed rather sluggish, in total contrast to the previous occasion I had it on a Nottingham-St Pancras, I think the last diagram to go over to HSTs, when I timed it very close to 100mph!

A Class 40 was recorded - once - on the Ripple Lane (Thames Haven)- Staines West tanks (central heating fuel). It should have come off at Acton Yard and been replaced by a Class 22 or 35 but it didn't and it worked right through down the branch to Staines West. On other occasions a Warship and a Western also worked through.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I actually travelled over a goodly part of the GC behind an EE Type 4 but it was substituted at Leicester for a Woodford Black 5 (which had in turn replaced a failed 'Scot' at Woodford) on the midnight Marylebone - Manchester sleeper/day coach train. Truly one of my more disappointing railway experiences as the b!*$*!d diesel worked right through to Manchester Piccadilly meaning my only trip ever over Woodhead was behind a diesel :angry:

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering if it might of been the down Master Cutler... but I thought it too fantastic to speculate ... but like I said earlier in the piece - Type 4's were intended as mixed traffic locos.

• RMweb Gold

When the first five EE Type 4's were introduced on the Great Northern in 1958 one of the services to be taken over was the new Master Cutler pullman from Kings Cross to Sheffield. During the weekdays the one off the last pullman to Sheffield would take a freight to and from Annesley every night before the morning Cutler. On Saturday (when the Cutler did not run) it did the following

4:20 Sheffield - Doncaster

6:00 Doncaster - Hull

9:24 Hull - Sheffield

12:02 Sheffield - Leicester (I think this is the York Bournemouth)

14:23 Leicester - Sheffield (I think this is the 12:15 Marylebone - Manchester)

18:10 Sheffield - York

On Sunday it stayed on the ECML.

I don't know how long this diagram stayed in place - not long I would guess.

Later on EE Type 4's were common on the GC at night (hence never photographed) - these being Midland Region units of course.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

When the first five EE Type 4's were introduced on the Great Northern in 1958 one of the services to be taken over was the new Master Cutler pullman from Kings Cross to Sheffield. During the weekdays the one off the last pullman to Sheffield would take a freight to and from Annesley every night before the morning Cutler. On Saturday (when the Cutler did not run) it did the following

4:20 Sheffield - Doncaster

6:00 Doncaster - Hull

9:24 Hull - Sheffield

12:02 Sheffield - Leicester (I think this is the York Bournemouth)

14:23 Leicester - Sheffield (I think this is the 12:15 Marylebone - Manchester)

18:10 Sheffield - York

On Sunday it stayed on the ECML.

I don't know how long this diagram stayed in place - not long I would guess.

Later on EE Type 4's were common on the GC at night (hence never photographed) - these being Midland Region units of course.

Rob

12:02 Sheffield to Leicester and 14:23 return... very interesting. Many thanks for sharing :)

• RMweb Premium

don't know if they count a secondary, in that they'd be primary internal workings, but 40s were used extensively on the glasgow QS/edinburgh - abredeen services throughout the 70s. (ISTR the edin-abdn ones often had an RMB behind the loco)

ferryhill depot was certainly no stranger to the 40s.

example photos at http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Aberdeen%20Railway

headcodes 1Txx abdn-gla, 1Oxx gla-abdn, 1Axx edin-abdn, 1Gxx abdn-edin.

during the deltic heydays, there would be ECML workings i.e. 1Exx and 1Sxx, presumably abdn-KX services where the deltic would takeover/drop off at waverley?

in a few of the phots, there are cl.47s on these services too

totally separate from this, i recall a freight working in the NW of england somewhere, early 80s, chemical tanks possibly, which was diagrammed for a 40+25. maybe someone knows the one i mean, remember reading about it in 'modern railways pictorial', i get the impression it was a well-known working?

totally separate from this, i recall a freight working in the NW of england somewhere, early 80s, chemical tanks possibly, which was diagrammed for a 40+25. maybe someone knows the one i mean, remember reading about it in 'modern railways pictorial', i get the impression it was a well-known working?

Ditton - Broughton Lane (Sheffield) BOC cryogenic tanks: http://richard181.fotopic.net/p60538868.html (not my pic)

• 1 month later...

Can anyone assist with this question from another forum?

I want to find out what locomotive was pulling the London to Bradford parcel train on the 23rd November 1967 which passed through Leicester at about 23:50 ish? The headcode consisted of four panels which displayed 1N09

I assume this would be a 'Peak' working from St. Pancras?

Another turn which occasionally featured class 45's coming into Essex was the Mossend - Parkeston freight. I remember seeing class 40's creeping round the curve onto the Harwich branch occasionally too. I friend who worked in an office overlooking Colchester yard reported seeing the occasional Peak on shed or in the yard.

40057 working the 8F21 Oakamoor-St Helens (Ravenhead Sidings) at Leek Brook Junction on 20/05/83. The 40's were not common at Leek Brook and I can only ever recall seeing and photographing 4 of them in my trips to the area. Two on the sand working and two on the Cauldon workings. I had an advantage if they went to Cauldon Low as my late father worked for Davies and Metcalfe at Leek Brook, and I would often get telephone calls at school asking if I could go to my nan's as she was ill. This was code for get yourself to Leek Brook something different has gone up to the quarry ie not 25 or 47. He was wrong one day though, as it was the first pair of 20's to visit the route good job nan was taken ill that day

post-8268-024334800 1287824086_thumb.jpg

When they were almost new a few class 40s appeared on the Little North Western line where I used to see them between Wennington and Lancaster. I believe class 45s also appeared. Has anyone got any record of which locos they were, probably Leeds based.

Edward

Archived