Slaters wheels

ffayolle

Hi all of you,

I'm a new member but sorry I speak some English. I live in France and I built some layouts on different scales (go to my website if you want more information about them).

Currently, I'm building an O scale locomotive (Southern Railway G6 Connoisseur Models).

inprogress-02.jpg

And I have one trouble with the slaters wheels.

They rust.

Please help me!!!

Best regards, Fabrice Fayolle

Hi Fabrice

The tyres on Slaters wheels are steel and so will rust!

They will corrode remarkably quickly if they are exposed to fumes from the acid flux used when soldering up a chassis or body from brass or nickel silver.

The best advice I can give you is to use blackening solution as soon as they are out of the packaging, burnish and then very lightly oil.

You may get other suggestions or better advice if you post on the Gauge O Guild Forum.

Regards

The advice to blacken the wheels (using 'Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue' from Birchwood Casey for example) is good. I would not use WD40 because with time it goes 'sticky' and you will then collect dirt on the wheels - worse than rust. WD40 is not recommended near locomotive mechanisms.

The advice to blacken the wheels (using 'Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue' from Birchwood Casey for example) is good. I would not use WD40 because with time it goes 'sticky' and you will then collect dirt on the wheels - worse than rust. WD40 is not recommended near locomotive mechanisms.

Ok so a 'thicky' question - I take it that the use of the blue on the wheels does not interfere with the electrical pick up then?

Hi Chris,

No it does not effect the electical pick up at all, but it certainly gives the wheels and the treads a prototype look about them.

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn; I've seen it referred to before with regard to rolling stock wheels but didn't know about its suitability for loco wheels.

G6 chassis is looking good so far Fabrice; is it your first time building in etched brass and if so how easy are you finding the Connoisseur kit?

Also I see that you've chosen to use the Slaters plunger pick ups too, is the chassis rigid or compensated?

So many questions :rolleyes:

These wheels have been blued using 'Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue' from Birchwood Casey It was the first thing I did then put them away in a zip loc with a couple of drop of motor oil, until I was ready for them.

As a matter of interest I have fitted Slater's Plunger pickups they were the last thing I fitted after painting the chassis, I used the axles and 4 engineers V blocks to get the chassis square.

I bought the model as an unfinished project from an RM Webber earlier this year.

post-6665-038496000 1284548493_thumb.jpg

post-6665-099356200 1284548497_thumb.jpg

post-6665-044426900 1284548517_thumb.jpg

Pete

G6 chassis is looking good so far Fabrice; is it your first time building in etched brass and if so how easy are you finding the Connoisseur kit?

Also I see that you've chosen to use the Slaters plunger pick ups too, is the chassis rigid or compensated?

So many questions :rolleyes:

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, this is my first time building in etcher brass but not my first step (my last exhibition layout (Koonunga Junction) will be at ExpoNG). I think that this Connoisseur kit is "easy" but I'm not finished yet!!!

Yes, I use Slaters plunger pickups. The chassis is rigid.

Fabrice

Jim's kits (Connoisseur) are well know for being of good quality and most of his kits, be it loco's or rolling stock are well suited for beginers. Plus he's a very approachable guy who's always got time for his customers, usual disclaimer, just a happy customer.

Martyn.

These wheels have been blued using 'Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue' from Birchwood Casey It was the first thing I did then put them away in a zip loc with a couple of drop of motor oil, until I was ready for them.

As a matter of interest I have fitted Slater's Plunger pickups they were the last thing I fitted after painting the chassis, I used the axles and 4 engineers V blocks to get the chassis square.

I bought the model as an unfinished project from an RM Webber earlier this year.

Pete

That is a fine looking loco Pete; how much 'finishing' did you have to do and did you build the cab interior yourself as I seem to remember it saying on the Connoisseur site that no cab interior is included with this kit?

More questions eh :rolleyes:

Chris

The model came 40% built so I completely took it all apart removed the excess solder then cleaned up all the brass and Nickel Silver and started from scratch.

It came with motor, g/box, wheels, full cab, buckets, spades even a driver and fireman so it was just a case of building it up.

post-6665-032271900 1284653498_thumb.jpg

post-6665-084146500 1284653512_thumb.jpg

post-6665-078187700 1284653530_thumb.jpg

post-6665-024950700 1284653495_thumb.jpg

post-6665-026656500 1284653534_thumb.jpg

Since taking these I have wired and fitted a TCS M1 DCC Decoder and it runs very well it should be better once it has been run in.

Pete

Just out of interest - I see people mention that the gun blue does not effect the pickup?

I was under the impression that you had to clear up/not blacken the rear face (which the pickups contact) and the face which interfaces with the rail as i have done here (if you can tell):

IMG_5296.jpg

Is this not the case? Could i have blackened all steel faces on the tyre and still had an electrical contact?

Just out of interest - I see people mention that the gun blue does not effect the pickup?

I was under the impression that you had to clear up/not blacken the rear face (which the pickups contact) and the face which interfaces with the rail as i have done here (if you can tell):

IMG_5296.jpg

Is this not the case? Could i have blackened all steel faces on the tyre and still had an electrical contact?

Yep.

OzzyO.

Well I have not done that and the J71 and the NR150 I built for John Humphries runs fine the only thing I did do in both cases was to polish the the rims with wire wool in-between each application of the Gun Blue using a mini drill, Brian Daniels explained to me how he blues hit wheels in the same way.

Pete

• 1 year later...

My last order from Slaters arrived two weeks ago, admittedly it has been raining outside, but two weeks for the wheels to go rusty is pushing it a bit !! I have other steel items around which have never gone rusty at all after years of being in the same room !! All that and not a drop of acid flux in sight ?

Mine go black within minutes of taking them from the packet.

... but then I do brush them all over with Carrs Metal Black ... I would prefer it if Slaters would do that for me and save me the trouble of hiding those shiny bits that simply do not look real.

Archived