Earl of Devon Phase IIa; Interiors: The Snug

iL Dottore

After the drama of melting facades (see previous post), I turned to something ostensibly more soothing - painting figures and building pub interiors for the EoD. First up was "The Snug" for the PoC model. I followed my usual practice of designing it first on the PC, printing it out, creating the box from the printout plan and then "dressing the set".

Here is the interior with a small bottle of glue in the background for size reference:

post-123-006204000 1284474611_thumb.jpg

The figures have turned out adequately, albeit undersized (they are HO figures and their feet don't touch the ground [the benches are exactly 4mm scale, built according to dimensions found on a pub furniture website]) and they were the very devil to paint properly. I tried to avoid the "Mr Blobby" look, but despite using 4.5X magnification and 6O brushes, I still find the fgures lacking...

post-123-019465200 1284474647_thumb.jpg

post-123-032006000 1284474722_thumb.jpg

post-123-058396500 1284474776_thumb.jpg

I must confess, I am really unhappy with the current state of play regarding HO/OO figures - especially 4mm figures. The HO figures from Preiser were nicely moulded and sculpted, but did have a bit of flash (only noticed when I started painting :() but seem to be made out of a slightly soft plastic that resisted acrylic paint (I ended up using enamels for the most part). In comparison the 4mm figures I had in my "box o' bits" (from various sources) were for the most part very crude. The best 4mm figures I had in my box were some white metal loco crew - one of whom is now making a few extra bob as a barman...

I think that it's a bit frustrating that even with today's manufacturing technology which allows for readable manufacturer's plates in 4mm, OO figures still have a Mr Blobby aspect to them.

Anyway, rant over.

Back to the model. I built a cameo of the three people involved in this exercise (and who is who???). One drinker, it would seem, has his doubts about the Landlord's best...

post-123-052163100 1284474811_thumb.jpg

And finally "The Snug" from normal viewing distances

post-123-072981000 1284474864_thumb.jpg

Seen through the Pub windows this should be acceptable

As always comments and feedback are requested

F

• RMweb Gold

Seen through the Pub windows this should be acceptable

As always comments and feedback are requested

Just brilliant! Sadly much of your work will only be apparent if the roof and walls are removed, but the clienti should be well impressed - even if they have alternative views on the beer! "Landlord! This beer's cloudy!" "Well, whadyer expect for £2.75 - thunder and lightning?"

If acrylics won't stick to your figures, why not prime them with enamels and then proceed?

I have tried undercoating figures but have not been too satisfied with the results (even a thin coat can clog up fine detail). For the figures I painted enamel was indeed better than acrylic, but only just. The base plastic (somewhat soapy in texture) is the culprit. The white metal figure, once cleaned and polished with a fine bristle brush, was very easy to paint well

F

• 1 month later...

Lovely interior work there, most impressive, I think the beer glasses are spot-on.

I've tried some figures but keep going back to the old Dapol ones. The plastic is lovely and soapy and easy to carve, and if washed with Mangers sugar soap takes acrylics without problem. I first give them a fine coat of black which I then wipe off to leave deep shadows which show through subsequent layers [not my idea, I think I saw it on a war-gaming site]

See below

post-106-033469800 1287153614_thumb.jpg

Then I needed a smart lady for a funeral scene so carved her from the Dapol little girl with the wide skirt. I use Pound shop matt acrylic, and finish off with a dilute coat of 'Pebeo' matt acrylic varnish of the sort artists use to seal their paintings.I got her hair texture by pressing her head firmly against 80 grit sand paper.

Doug

post-106-002813900 1287153660_thumb.jpg

post-106-033256300 1287153684_thumb.jpg

post-106-039489100 1287153715_thumb.jpg

Very nice work Chubber. How long do you leave them to dry between coats (and what size brushes do you use?)

I've never tried the Dapol figures - thanks for the tip. They look as fine featured as the Faller/Preiser figures, but in scale. I'll pick some up and have a go

F

p.s. is "sugar soap" known by any other name?

Very nice work Chubber. How long do you leave them to dry between coats (and what size brushes do you use?)

I've never tried the Dapol figures - thanks for the tip. They look as fine featured as the Faller/Preiser figures, but in scale. I'll pick some up and have a go

F

p.s. is "sugar soap" known by any other name?

Thanks for your kind remarks, see here for sugar soap info http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Sugar_soap sometimes known as decorators detergent.

I don't really leave any time between coats, I generally work on two or three at a time so by the time I've undercoated the third one the first one is dry and so on, the very cheap paint from the Poundshop [a discount store] dries very quickly, altough the Pebeo varnish takes about an hour to go off.

Here are the things I use....

post-106-063434400 1287178738_thumb.jpg

I mix a little grey paint simply with black and white, and having chosen and mixed a colour for,say, a jacket I add just a little grey mix to it to make it a more 'scale' brightness, except for brass buttons which are neat yellow/orange mix.

other examples, Fred the porter [minus his sack-truck]....again, his hair has been textured by pressing his head against 80 grit sandpaper, his hat having been cut off.

post-106-001425200 1287178823_thumb.jpg

and Ernie the Thornycroft lorry driver holding his oily rag, but his fag has dropped out of his mouth, wonder where it's gone?

post-106-037922000 1287178904_thumb.jpg

I like doing people as a way to relax when I haven't any spare cash for bigger projects!

Looking forward to seeing the pub finished,

Best wishes

Doug

Archived