O gauge class 76

........New supervisor looking over the cabs before they're attached to the frames, that's the kit box lid she's sitting in. The newest addition to the flock, two men turned up on the doorstep on Bank Holiday saturday asking if we'd lost a kitten .....

A kitten kit? Or is it ready-to-run? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Ready to run, up trees, hasn't done the curtains yet, has tried the line post and several door frames though :D

Anyway, a bit more progress, but not much, got to go to bed, need to be up just after 02.00 for an 03.50 start :(

The stages to a cab seat, from the left.

The pedestal support folded.

A flat etch which folds up into the complete seat.

A folded and soldered seat.

The complete seat ready to fit to the cab floor.

post-110-007478200 1291836753_thumb.jpg

I've also added the quadrants for the motor controls to the cab desks, very fiddly, I think they'll need a bit of cleaning up as well, huge blobs of solder!

post-110-079402200 1291836779_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quote:

Ready to run, up trees, hasn't done the curtains yet, has tried the line post and several door frames though :D

Anyway, a bit more progress, but not much, got to go to bed, need to be up just after 02.00 for an 03.50 start :(

The stages to a cab seat, from the left.

The pedestal support folded.

A flat etch which folds up into the complete seat.

A folded and soldered seat.

The complete seat ready to fit to the cab floor.

post-110-007478200 1291836753_thumb.jpg

I've also added the quadrants for the motor controls to the cab desks, very fiddly, I think they'll need a bit of cleaning up as well, huge blobs of solder!

post-110-079402200 1291836779_thumb.jpg

Hi

Have you considered solder paint/cream for adding this sort of detail?

You can place a very small amount in the area you want to solder and there is very little cleaning up afterwards.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Great Central's Class 76 will be appearing at the forthcoming NOTTINGHAM East Midlands EXHIBITION in March. Included in the line-up of exhibits depicting the Woodheads route will be the following layouts:

WOODHEAD THEMED GROUPING

Mini-MSW 2mmFS BR 1970s Alan Whitehouse

Deepcar OO BR 1970s Nottingham MRS

Netherwood Sidings O BR 1970s Graham Clark

Gamesley Staff Halt N BR 1970s Gary Atkinson

For information about the show on RM Web, CLICK HERE.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, with GC's approval, heres some pictures of my class 76, built to the same design etc, as GC's , mine will be done as 76033 complete with "eyebrows" nearly all my external work is done, and as can be seen the cabs are primed and ready to go! The big next step for me is the internal work, servo, dcc chips, lights, for this im getting a bit of expert help, from the author and kit producer mr clark! as this is where i will be totally out of my depth lol!

post-7260-0-48291700-1296513695_thumb.jpg

Posed with pans up.

post-7260-0-30445300-1296513738_thumb.jpg

Primed cab interiors.

For a beginner to O gauge modelling its been a very interesting project!

regards davep101

• 4 weeks later...

Is it nearly three months since my last update, work really, really has been getting in the way!!

As a colleague described it, it feels like permanent jet lag, been up since 03.30 this morning as it is! But day off tomorrow, so a small update on the very slow progress of this build. I had intended it to be ready to add to the fleet on Netherwood Sidings at the Nottingham show, but since that is less than three weeks away and I have a good few other things to do for the show, it might make an appearance as a 'work in progress'

The cab handrails are now all fitted and the lamp iron that I lost on the floor a couple of weeks ago hasn't reappeared so a replacement has been fabricated, doesn't look too bad. Sandpipes are now in place, still need to fathom out which bit is which of some of the brake gear.

The buffers posed a slight problem, it would seem that the 76s have an almost unique type of buffer. All the ones that I could find on the 'net had collars on the stocks wheras the 76 ones appear plain. The closest match I could find was an LMS loco buffer by Meteor Models in Northampton, very reasonably priced and excellent next day service (shame it's taken me several weeks to get them fitted!)

The pictures not great, but I think it conveys the progress.

post-110-0-89219500-1298928352_thumb.jpg

One of the major jobs remaining is building up the pantographs, which using Graham's jig doesn't take that long but as the club is now gearing up for the show I doubt it will get done until afterwards.

Hi GC & Dave.

Great workmanship in those 76's - Well done - Look forward to next update - Would like to know if there is any 7mm scale Catenary avaliable ? or is it a case of scratch building it all.

Cheers.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

All of our catenary is scratch built, in OO for Deepcar and Carstairs which are club layouts and Graham's layout Netherwood sidings in O

Deepcar and Netherwood, along with MiniMSW (2mm finescale) and Gamesley Staff Halt (N) will make up a Woodhead themed group at Nottingham show in a couple of weeks time, information here:

http://www.nottingham-modelrailway.org.uk/exhiblayouts.htm

Hi GC.

Thanks for the Info - I thought that it must be Scratch Built - Shame that there is not Catenary avaliable off the shelf, would be more overhead electric layouts maybe ?.

Look forward to seeing those layouts at exibition sometime.

Cheers.

Bob.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Must be a Tommy-cat. (See what I did there?)

Any progress on this?

Hi Simon, not on this one I'm afraid, it's stalled awaiting the pantographs which need a jig to build. Not to mention earning  a living which also gets in the way. Out of bed at 03.30 this moring, just got home and had my tea(?).

Some completed ones can be seen here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78401-netherwood-sidings/

Mine will get done sometime but priority at the moment is clearing the garage to make a retirement space for Deepcar.

• RMweb Premium

Did I see an advert recently from Judith Edge saying they did 7mm pantographs for the 76?

You did, we now have this pantograph in production in 7mm scale (and also the two Southern ones for the class 71 and the Bulleid Co-Co). Price is £15 each + £1.50 postage.

Michael and Judith Edge

Good to hear Deepcar is to be preserved, its been so much enjoyed at many shows.

Dava

Thanks for the kind words, never thought of it as 'preserving' the layout!

I want/need a layout to run things on as well as keep doing bits and pieces to. It's the nearest I'll get to my ideal layout, which would be GC in the Nottingham area to be honest, but having spent around half my life involved with Deepcar I'd rather have that than try to build anything now. There's likely to be members running sessions once in a while and although retired it doesn't mean that it won't be available for exhibition if it gets invited. 

Deepcar and Netherwood sidings will be at the great Central event at Quorn next month.

http://gcrailway.co.uk/modelevent/

You did, we now have this pantograph in production in 7mm scale (and also the two Southern ones for the class 71 and the Bulleid Co-Co). Price is £15 each + £1.50 postage.

Michael and Judith Edge

You see Michael, all that money you spend on advertising does work! It did sink into the darker recesses of my brain.

Michael and Judith Edge

All we need is the loco kits now - would like a couple of 76s - Any chance of these being produced ?.

Cheers, Bob.

Pete Waterman took the MSL kit over but no sign of that re-appearing anytime soon.

I understand that the MSL offering wasn't particularly good, Not seen a 7mm one personally but the originator of ours had, and decided that a far better and much cheaper result could be obtained by designing his own :sungum:

I have seen the 4mm MSL one and decided I was quite happy with the DC resin version :jester:

• RMweb Premium

The EM1 will appear in 4mm scale eventually, I'll need quite a few for my next layout, but it will be after that for 7mm.

Hi

Thats something to look forward to as I have always liked the idea of building a pair in 7mm, all mine are 2mm ones.

Cheers

Paul

The EM1 will appear in 4mm scale eventually, I'll need quite a few for my next layout, but it will be after that for 7mm.

But not before the Ruston DE165 0-6-0, I hope? :sungum:

Hi Michael

Any idea what short of time scale you are looking at for the 7mm EM1.

Cheers, Bob.

On the MSL kits I have one which I have 75% built. I am in two minds weather to put it on ebay or to finnish it. Its not a great kit. The pantographs are pretty poor and very two dimensional. Knowing Michael has some for sale might give me the impetus to actually finnish it! I am not very happy with how I poorly assembled the bogies I need to strip them and start again. The body was a bit of a challenge as it didn't fit very well the cabs where a struggle in particular.

Archived