The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Kidney Stones anyone....?

250BOB

[

Thought I would share my most recent experience with you......hope it doesnt bring tears to your eyes too much......I can hear you all going "Oooooooooooohhhh" :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

Bad news Bob guess where they stent comes out from!!! :O good luck with your recovery

Brenn

The bad news is once you've had them they are highly likely to re-occur every 5-10 years ... thats what i was told the second time. :( When I had the stones the first time that was when i found out i also had an abnormal tolerance to morphine ... apparently i wouldn't make a good drug addict ...

I also have it on reliable authority that kidney stones are the nearest us blokes come to the pain of child birth! :blink:

Noooooooo,!!!! My consultant told me its much worse than child birth. My wife was with me at the time he told me that...what a fantastic consultant he was....totally on the side of us blokes.

During all this, I had to have a CT scan, with the associated injection of IODINE, used as the contrast agent, I reacted to that quite badly, tight chest, rash...had to stop scan right away....1 in 10000 have a reaction.

I had to wear a red band the whole time I was in hospital to indicate I had a drug allergy. Each time a nurse or doctor asked what it was I was allergic to, I told them IRONING, well thats what I said when my wife was with me. :lol:

Bob

I had one & never want another one - the pain in the kidney almost had me passing out in the doctors rooms -especially after he pressed down on the side & the finger.

Into hospital for 2 days, morphine plus many drips intravenously & plenty of fluid to drink to attempt to wash it out or dissolve it - fortunately, it did dissolve.

So perhaps based on what has bbeen posted earlier, I had an easier time .

When i had a scan some years ago, they injected the dye after warning me there may be a slight reaction, usually in the form of a rash. I did have the reaction but, typically for me, not in the normal way of a few red spots scattered around my body. Oh no, not me! I had the entire rash concentrated into one huge red blob on my left cheek (my face, not the other one!). :lol:

When i had a scan some years ago, they injected the dye after warning me there may be a slight reaction, usually in the form of a rash. I did have the reaction but, typically for me, not in the normal way of a few red spots scattered around my body. Oh no, not me! I had the entire rash concentrated into one huge red blob on my left cheek (my face, not the other one!). :lol:

Thats precisely like my rash....one big red blob on my forehead......how strange.?

Same advice given me. I passed a small one naturally in my youth, and was advised to better manage my liquid intake. Six pints or more of fluids a day (that's over and above any alcohol consumed BTW) has done the trick so far, four decades and counting from the original event. It may be an inconvenience to need a convenience a little more frequently than most, but anything to avoid that discomfort again.

I passed a stone about 15 years ago. Woke up with a dull pain in my lower regions. Within an hour I was in agony and it was getting worse. My wife called a doctor out and they called for an ambulance. On arrival in hospital the sister told me very smuggly that it was the only pain a man could have that was like childbirth and no painkillers until I'd been x-rayed, it may be another hour. By then, I honestly wanted to die. Eventually I had my x-rays and was given painkillers. I was meant to stay in for obs' for 2-3 days but I discharged myself after 36 hrs as I was painfree and felt a bit of a fraud using a bed when others may need it. However, the following morning.........................

Damn thing finally came out about 3 weeks later. Felt like I was peeing a razorblade. I had pains in the kidney region for another 2 or 3 years and passed another 2 stones in that period. Since then no problems, but I now make sure I have plenty of liquid.

• RMweb Premium

Me as well about seventeen years ago. Started as a pain in my lower left side in the wee hours and progressed to a white hot knife slicing down my side - doubtless as the stone "eased" it's way from the kidney to the bladder. I got carted off to the local hospital where the doctor on duty (female, mother of six) and sister (female, mother of two) both happily gave me the birthing pain anology. I also got told off for not taking something for pain relief: "typical male!".

The pains re-occurred in amongst the doctors visits, X-ray etc and I eventually passed something smaller than a match head. No re-occurrences thank God.

• RMweb Gold

oooh, i'm wincing just reading this thread, hope all is going alright bob?

i've passed a couple of kidney stones and boy were thay painful, the first time was when i worked for DRS and i was on a lodge turn in carlisle, sat in the hotel having my tea before i booked on (to work the southbound stobart train) when suddenly it felt like someone had kicked me between the legs, a stabbing pain then went right up into my bladder and took my breath away. a workmate said the colour just drained from me, retired to my room for a lie down but went the loo first for a wee and passed blood, it also felt like someone had stuck a hot pin up my bits and bobs!! i phoned drs control and asked for a taxi to take me to the hospital rather than kingmoor and sure enough after an examination it was confirmed i'd passed a stone

ended up going back to the hotel after hospital for a nights rest before heading back home on the cushions (in more ways than one) the next day, every set of points the train went over was absolute agony!!

Two weeks on from my operation, and today I returned to hospital to have the stent removed, very quick 2minute procedure, relatively painless too.

BUT.....the consultant then showed me the Stent......Oh Yes, it was 12 inches long. My wife says I'm a bloody liar.

I was honestly expecting something about an inch or two, but 12 inches....wow.....think of the bragging rights I now get. My wife has put cotton wool in her ears for some reason.

Feeling loads better by the way.

Bob.

Good to see you at the show over the weekend and pleased that today's procedure went well - who would have believed it - 12 inches :lol:

Mike and the gang from Mickleover

I don't understand it Mike....my wife keeps calling me a liar.!!!!!

Archived