New Hornby 28xx / 38xx

Garry D100

I haven't had a layout for some time, only a diorama, and a short test track, and a rolling road. It ran very smoothly and slowly to turn the wheels to set the rods up down or in-between.  All 4 previous 28/38XXs I had ran well on my layout, which was dismantled after the Feb 2011 earthquake in Christchurch.

Rob (NZ)

Another view of Hornby's weathered BR 28XX No.2845, perhaps passing a not-so-often-used junction for a Welsh or other Great Western branch line?

post-7929-0-82395700-1358027593.jpg

Rob

edit   I retouched top of boiler a few hours after loading this here..

copied and pasted after the original photo was taken, with suitable re-sizing and so on.

Often I use Google images to find such as pipes and lamps to suit.  Laziness combined with limited modelling skills. Many details are just painted with a virtual brush.

Rob

Readers might be interested in my methods for creating the pictures in this and other threads.

Below is the setup: Canon SX130is point-and-shoot camera set to:

f8,  aperture priority set on wheel on top of camera, 10sec shutter delay set on 'function set' control at back, centre-weighted average focus and shutter (which, with diffuse daylight from window at left usually gives a 0.5-1.0secs shutter-speed) set in 'function set' at back.

lamp used to vary shadowing and highlighting, several shots taken with camera swivelled a bit for different focus

about ten pics taken,

downloaded to laptop and PSP6 used for photo editing of the best one or ones, with all kinds of painted and pasted extras, mostly from previous photos, thus the similarities in my pictures!

post-7929-0-60799700-1357962811.jpg

becomes, after some work....

post-7929-0-01172000-1357962995.jpg

which becomes, after more work, or pleasure...

post-7929-0-59997900-1358027294.jpg

Best,

Rob

edit; mug of tea optional

• RMweb Premium

Readers might be interested in my methods for creating the pictures in this and other threads.

Below is the setup: Canon SX130is point-and-shoot camera set to:

f8,  aperture priority set on wheel on top of camera, 10sec shutter delay set on 'function set' control at back, centre-weighted average focus and shutter (which, with diffuse daylight from window at left usually gives a 0.5-1.0secs shutter-speed) set in 'function set' at back.

lamp used to vary shadowing and highlighting, several shots taken with camera swivelled a bit for different focus

about ten pics taken,

downloaded to laptop and PSP6 used for photo editing of the best one or ones, with all kinds of painted and pasted extras, mostly from previous photos, thus the similarities in my pictures!

becomes, after some work....

which becomes, after more work, or pleasure...

Best,

Rob

edit; mug of tea optional

I like playing with Photoshop, but hat is taking it to a new level - thanks for sharing your technique - wow!

Actually, earlier on I mentioned that I thought the 28XX class and the Star class represented the finest engineering from the age of steam,   but must add that the Stanier Duchess fails to usurp these two only because it was basically just a Star with a bigger firebox, the successor to 'The Great Bear', if you will...

... the Stanier Duchess fails to usurp these two only because it was basically just a Star with a bigger firebox, the successor to 'The Great Bear', if you will...

Yes, young Mister Stanier (in his later years Sir, KT?, FRS) learned how to do these things properly under the very best tutelage.

• RMweb Gold

Just had an update from Hattons saying the G W R liveried version will be available in December.

Hello

We thought you may like to know that an item you have asked us to notify when it arrives into stock, has had some information about its release date added or updated.

Hornby R3210 Class 2800 2-8-0 2811 in GWR livery. £116.00

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us on or after Tuesday 10th December 2013

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

We hope that this email has been useful.

Regards

Retail Team
Hattons Model Railways

Hi I bought my 28xx from Hattons a couple of years ago but I have recently acquired the 38xx variant.  I am most impressed with their haulage capacity - the motors don't seem to need very much power at all.  There is a video

which also includes some shots of a Dublo 8F from the 1960s.  If I was to award 'points' I would be putting the 28xx/38xx ahead of the Bachmann O2/ROD variants.

Regards

Ray

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

it became weakened and finally snapped into two parts.

Have sent away for a new loco to tender draw bar assembly ( part no: X6170 ) - hopefully available from stock at :- Abbiegails ( Hornby Spares )

Peterborough.

This has happened to mine so can you recommend this service ?

Archived