Hornby vs Bachmann 08

Kallaroonian

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, really but I have both and the detail is much finer on the Hornby model than the Bachmann and there's more of it. The Bachmann pickups are also well known for needing a bit of extra assistance after the wheels have got a bit grimy. But both of them are an improvement over my old Triang 08, so I'm not hyper critical..

I couldn't comment on the accuracy but I do think the movement of the connecting rods on the Hornby unit at slow speeds is a wonder to behold!

This comes up frequently, and for obvious reasons (though these threads are the very devil to find since so many threads talk about Hornby and Bachmann): This thread, for example.

'Better' is difficult because it's inherently subjective. Do you mean mechanically? If so there isn't much to choose between them. Both run fairly well at 08ish sorts of speeds. The Bachmann has a sprung centre axle but poor pick-up design. The Hornby is rigid and has better pick-up design though some early versions of it were prone to squeal from the motor/transmission.

The Hornby has more fine detail and, if you value that, could make it 'better' I suppose. If you're running on loose track on the carpet then the Bachmann one will tolerate that more readily since there are fewer parts to fall off...

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I have a couple of each... they are both good but perhaps Hornby has the edge - overall it has a greater degree of fidelity but its these areas that give the Hornby Gronk the nod:

DCC socket

It's easier to get into

Pick-ups are more reliable

and last but not least... the radiator has a much finer appearance ...

Both are however stella advances over what we had before :)

My advise (providing your not using DCC) is to pick the loco on livery ;)

I have a lot of Bachmann 08s and one Hornby 09. The Hornby model has finer detail (though there isn't a huge difference) and has more reliable pickups and runs slightly slower. But you pay extra for this privelege as the Hornby model is more expensive. Both will sit side by side and hold their own without the Bachmann one looking massively different.

The Bachmann models have the advantage that there are a heck of a lot more on offer than Hornby variations. At the moment if you want anything other than BR green or EWS, Hornby do not seem to be providing. Every month there seems to be another Bachmann limited edition turning up somewhere offering liveries that I didn't evben know that the 08 carried (BR black with wasp stripes awaited with interest from Model Rail, to name but one).

My Hornby 09 is an early release, and suffered the noisy gear chain. However a squirt of WD40 down through the gears fixed the problem and it has never run sweeter. Early Bachmann models could also suffer the same mind - my engineers' grey one squeals like a stuck pig and will await treatment when I find where I've packed it away. The Bachmann pickups require frequent cleaning and are a pain in this respect. Thankfully I find the Bachmann 08 the easier of the two to dismantle and get inside.

I've seen my fair show of Hornby and Bachmann 08's and I personally prefer the Hornby one, It's got more of a crisp finish and more detail. The Bachmann one also doesn’t have as stronger hand rails as the Hornby one, so are easily bent out of shape (and not so easy to bend back!) I can only echo the above responses but I think the Hornby 08 crawls far better at lower speeds than the Bachmann one, which also tends to sound as though its grinding. The cab detailing inside the Hornby model is far more superior to the Bachmann one, and now they've brought out a sound version I may be even more tempted to buy a second.

My only fault would be they don't do a all green or black one, but compared to the price you'd pay to build a kit and then try and finish to the standards or RTR I think its a no brainier.....

I have had one of the "squealers" as it where, but this is simply solved by filing a little bit of plastic off the top of the worm gear guard, but as said only a fault on the earlier models, so you’re very unfortunate if you pick one with a squeal up.

All in all, this is only my opinion and as you can probably tell I favour the Hornby one, but everyone has their own preferences and opinions.

On appeal, M'Lud, it should be mentioned that Bachmann long since provided a DCC socket...

But only a 3 pole motor against 5 pole in the Hornby and the Hornby has finer better looking handrails, con rods, detail in cab, opening doors etc

New sound version not run in took 7 mins to cover 6ft 6inch this morning and that included crossing dead frog points. Have a Bachmann version and if you want details that look chunky go for it. detail on the Hornby version is a lot finer.

• 2 weeks later...

Soz but mine are rather long in the tooth... mind I would have to check the box because it's so darn tricky to get inside one to look :rolleyes:

Certainly my earliest versions have no DCC socket. Without dismantling every example I have (no mean feat) I wouldn't know which do and which don't, because none of the boxes give any clue.

I must admit that the Bachmann versions have proven over the years easier to gain access to the inards - probably a good thing given how often I seem to need to get access to the pickups to clean them. What I have found is that the more you dismantle this class, the easier it gets as you get more familiar with where the screws and clips are hidden and how much pressure needs to be applied to spring bits apart without damaging them. I haven't bought a new 08/09 since 09012 from Hornby and 08243 from Bachmann were the latest offerings.

Another point to bear in mind is the relative popularity of some of the liveries, and its effect on s/h values when they're not in production. The R2933 of the OP is a model I've just decided to purchase, mainly because it will need very little work to reproduce the loco I want but also because Ebay prices for the equivalent Bachy BR green one are regularly over 40 quid, even for a non-DCC ready one

Hornby definitely produced a Cotswold Rail liveried 08 in the new improved 08. I haven't seen them around for a while, and think they were early releases after Hornby produced the new model.

They certainly did. The first new style 08's were delivered with catalogue numbers R2589-2595 providing 6 different liveries across 7 models at product launch and including 2 Cotswold versions (R2593 - 08847 and R2594 - 08871).

See these links for further info...

http://www.Hornby.com/locomotives-89/r2593/product.html

http://www.Hornby.com/locomotives-89/r2594/product.html

These are most assuredly the new style super detail variants. Anything prior to R2589 is the old type. See the following link for a write up from the time...

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Rolling%20Stock/model-railway-Hornby-locomotive-review-class-08.htm

*gribble*

They certainly did. The first new style 08's were delivered with catalogue numbers R2589-2595 providing 6 different liveries across 7 models at product launch and including 2 Cotswold versions (R2593 - 08847 and R2594 - 08871).

See these links for further info...

http://www.Hornby.co...93/product.html

http://www.Hornby.co...94/product.html

These are most assuredly the new style super detail variants. Anything prior to R2589 is the old type. See the following link for a write up from the time...

http://www.newrailwa...ew-class-08.htm

*gribble*

gallery_7957_851_188413.jpg

I started off with Bachmann which I detailed, however the New Hornby ones surpass the Bachmann ones for me:D

gallery_7957_851_188413.jpg

I started off with Bachmann which I detailed, however the New Hornby ones surpass the Bachmann ones for me:D

Nice pair. I should now issue a hasty update having checked the handy reference tome otherwise known as Ramsays 6th edition. The first of the "new batch", no not grmelins, but the super detailed 08's were in fact R2417 (3256 BR Green), R2418 (08402 BR blue) and R2419 (09012 Dick Hardy EWS Grey). Anything since then has been super detailed. Apologies for the error.

*gribble*

It appears that Hornby 08 shunters in BR Blue are as scarce as hens teeth at moment. I was watching one on Ebay last week and it went for £112 !!!!!!!!!!!! and that was without sound fitted..

I have a couple of Hornby 08's in BR green and very nice they are too, but please Hornby can you release one in BR Blue for a change..

Dave

As an aside for those looking for more modern liveries, ModelZone still have their Mainline blue liveried Hornby 09 in stock for £49.99. Ideal for anyone who loves respraying, or just models that era. They've had them in stock for ages, so I expect they will have the older style chassis for people thinking of sound converting.

Even when the BR blue ones were out, they sold out quickly. I ended up with 09012 in Engineer's grey because all the BR blue versions were gone by the time I got to Arcadia in Shaw. I must have had money burning a hole in my pocket, as I was actually after the weathered blue 08.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got Baccy 08623 and Hornby 08419. The Hornby version is the better runner by far. Detailing on 08419 makes the Bachmann version appear very basic.

I would agrre with the above comment except the Hornby 08 is let down by the grills in front of the fuel tank, they are not fine enough and they should run diagonally not horizontally and vertically, also Hornby's old problem of lack of livery and modification varients. I stand to be corrected but I don't believe a blue 08 with all four markers lights fitted had been produced.

Mick

I'll agree that the Hornby one looks better.

The detail is much finer.

However, I've had running probs with several Hornby 08's....

The pickups can be problematic, once you've removed the keeper plate.

I have 2 Bachmann 08s. The older model wasn't DCC ready,

but thanks to someone on this forum, fitting is relatively easy,

once you remove the circuit board.

That model ran like a dream, straight away.

However, it hasn't run quite so well since the pickups got dirty.

I cleaned them, but it still hasn't run quite as well.....

Someone reccomended Isoprpyl alcohol, so I'll be trying that out soon.

As a point of interest,

I bought the newer version of the Bacchy blue 08 (weathered)

then re-numbered + added my own weathering...

It runs really well on straight track,

but bizzarrley, it jumps when going through Peco points!!!!

It's as if the back-to-back is slightly too tight!

Oddly, the older version crawls through the same points,

without the slightest hint of jumping!!

Can someone please enlighten me?

Cheers

Marc

Archived