Hornby vs Bachmann 08

Kallaroonian

IPA does work really well on the pickups, I use it on mine (3 x MK1 versions), I've also tweeked the pick ups to give more outward pressure on the backs of the treads. Make sure the backs of the wheel tyres are clean too where the pick ups touch. Any stubborn muck on the pick ups I use a tooth pick to scrape it off.

I think the back to back being tight is exactly the right answer to the problem. If you can beg steal or borrow a GW models wheel puller, you may be able to adjust them without touching the quartering.

brgds ;)

Thanks Paul,

I may try adding some extra pickups to the older Bachmann 08...

As for the newer version - Don't think I've ever seen a "Wheel Puller" though!

Best

Marc

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly my earliest versions have no DCC socket.

Without dismantling every example I have (no mean feat) I wouldn't know which do and which don't, because none of the boxes give any clue.

The DCC socket fitted version is the updated model. You can tell from the modified pickup arrangement.

The original non-socket fitted Bachmann models (replaced some 4 or 5 years ago) had the plunger pickups, that some have rightly complained about in this thread.

If unsure about the socket, just turn it upside down and check which sort of pickups it's got.

I can't say for sure about every one they've released, but I think the revised models have "DCC Ready" written on the box.

The original non-socket fitted Bachmann models (replaced some 4 or 5 years ago) had the plunger pickups, that some have rightly complained about in this thread.

Are you sure?

I have one from the original batch which had wiper pick ups - I say 'had' as I replaced them at the same time I rewheeled it - see below.

Have a Bachmann version and if you want details that look chunky go for it.

Some people I know like the shape of the Bachmann model, and with a bit of care ('modelling') with new handrails

DSCF2314.jpg

DSCF2313.JPG

Still needs attention round the steps front and back, but the details don't look to 'chunky' to me. And it runs very nicely too :)

With some of the Hornby pipework I think it is too prominent and maybe better absent. That under the running boards should mostly sit behind the valance. Normally you don't see it and painted in bright colours makes it stand out too much I think.

Hornby one wins everytime, superior in every respect. wink.gif

Except when running over imperfect track (i.e. mine) in my and at least a few other people's experiences. Then the Bachmann's sprung centre axle (compared with Hornby's rigid one) comes into its own I find.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Except when running over imperfect track (i.e. mine) in my and at least a few other people's experiences. Then the Bachmann's sprung centre axle (compared with Hornby's rigid one) comes into its own I find.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

The Hornby one has proper bearings in hornblocks that are easy enough to spring. I've done it on mine and with properly jointed Brassmasters rods its now running really well though it'll get a proper test once we've finished rewiring the circuit at the club.

I have recently got the Bachmann weathered 08173 and looks good and runs well.However with this days tech i was put back a bit as was expecting working head and tail lights to be fitted.Anyone attempted or fitted these details most welcome.

richard.

Hi Richard,

I've got a Hornby one, with express models lights fitted.

There aint a lot of room in there!

It requires a circuit board to be fitted, above the motor.

In fact, the body doesn't sit quite as well once the board is in place.

I think it's now very difficult to get hold of the express models kit?

I know what you mean - we see lighting in so many of our off-the-shelf models,

we've come to expect it as standard.

Good luck with fitting lighting - let us know how you get on

Marc

Archived