Another steelworks (but with a difference).

br2975

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago there was a small 7mm narrow gauge layout (can't recall the name for the moment), that was set up to rotate, with the train running in such a way that the train was 'stationary' in front iof the viewer and the scenery went past!

Belfield Hall - 09 - originally built by Stephen Brown.

1781474632_b2af6d5698_z.jpg

The steelworks layout looks great. The 2'6' gauge Hudswell-Badger diesels formerly used at Shotton hot strip mill are among my favourites, so both of the above are giving me ideas!

well, i am pleased to inform all those members who have made such positive and encouraging comments that the layout is now complete.

it has received two intensive days of weathering and detailing and is ready for display.

stock will comprise of cut down TTAs as billet carriers, a rake of OBAs carrying coil and VDAs with typical Megabox and nissan hut coupling converters as an additional scenic break to the front. Tests are ongoing with the lazy susan and electrical source from rechargeable Dewalt battery power but the layout will initially be stationary. i intend to post some photos tomoro and look forward to feedback .

In light of the previous post, and confirmation that my brother Paul R ("naturol") is now happily 'back on line' - control of this thread the updates relating to his layout now return to him.......

So it's good night from me, and hello from him!

Brian R

attached are three photos of the layout taken from a much higher angle than the normal view point but to show the overall scheme of things.

as brian has previously said photography is not a Rolley strongpoint and the attached are from my phone with an alarming flash.

the building is far more drab in normal light and more in keeping with the original.

the original plan was build the whole thing from already in my possession kits and second hand stuff and general household items

as is my normal frugal build method. i have spent in total £175.00 to build the layout on mainly walthers, cornerstone, knightwing and plasticard items.

should it be deemed worthy, then i would love to display it.

please feel free to pass comment.

Paul R.

post-9901-090582000 1286735720_thumb.jpg

post-9901-044267200 1286735751_thumb.jpg

post-9901-059289200 1286735771_thumb.jpg

I love this - great modelling - good fun and well executed :) I hope you manage to get some weathering on the stock to tie it all together nicely as well!

I've always fancied doing something a bit like this with a colliery to washery a bit like out of Model Railroader - but at my rate it'd be a 5 year project not a 5 week project!

I love this - great modelling - good fun and well executed :) I hope you manage to get some weathering on the stock to tie it all together nicely as well!

I've always fancied doing something a bit like this with a colliery to washery a bit like out of Model Railroader - but at my rate it'd be a 5 year project not a 5 week project!

I think James has hit the nail on the head there.....

It really is a fab little model, executed to a high standard,

but the most important thing of all,

is that it's also FUN!

The more I look at this, the more I wish I'd done something very similar...

Marc :D

P.S. A pint to the builder - if we ever get "round" to another pub-nite :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

Certainly would be good at a show in it's own little island so you can get all round it if the revolving idea doesn't progress. Very nicely done but I suppose you'd need a trailer or a big roof box to transport it! ;)

Certainly would be good at a show in it's own little island so you can get all round it if the revolving idea doesn't progress. Very nicely done but I suppose you'd need a trailer or a big roof box to transport it! ;)

P.S. Brian,

What is the diameter and height of the board?

(Also, how heavy is it? Measureable in "firkins" :rolleyes: )

Marc

What is the diameter and height of the board?

(Also, how heavy is it? Measureable in "firkins" :rolleyes: )

Give or take 48" diameter.

Given that the 'baseboard' is predominantly 50mm 'celotex' insulation, not that heavy.

It will need two to carry, due to it's size more than weight.

The mill building is one structure (foamcore/foamborad carcass) and lifts off.

In fact, the layour can be rolled along like a 'cheese' !

Paul maybe able to answer better, but the layout hasn't left the room it was built in - yet; and it's on the first floor !!

Brian

Give or take 48" diameter....

In fact, the layour can be rolled along like a 'cheese' !

Paul maybe able to answer better, but the layout hasn't left the room it was built in - yet; and it's on the first floor !!

Brian

I "Camembert" believe it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (appologies)

but I can't wait to see it arrive at an exhibition, travelling in this novel way!

Hope it's not too wide to get through a doorway :lol:

Cheers

Marc :D

For those who are interested in seeing Paul's layout ( now known as 'Castle Works' ) in the flesh - it should be an exhibit at the Cardiff Model Railway Show 2010, at the UWIC Western Avenue Campus, Cardiff Saturday 23rd / Sunday 24th. October.

Brian R

post-1599-096086300 1287613081_thumb.jpg

post-1599-053055000 1287613132_thumb.jpg

Paul and Brian are both members of Bay MRG in Cardiff as is yours truly. Here's some pictures of the layout at the Cardiff Show today. The first shot shows Paul (Naturol) and Brian (Br2975)

post-7048-063770100 1287943916_thumb.jpg

post-7048-051065600 1287943917_thumb.jpg

post-7048-034105700 1287943918_thumb.jpg

In the next pic the train is moving - this was a slow exposure on a tripod

post-7048-062191200 1287943910_thumb.jpg

post-7048-060270500 1287943911_thumb.jpg

post-7048-045227700 1287943912_thumb.jpg

post-7048-024584200 1287943913_thumb.jpg

post-7048-012458500 1287943914_thumb.jpg

post-7048-075617800 1287943915_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

post-7048-091404600 1287943914_thumb.jpg

On behalf of Paul (who is being treated for 'dial-up' problems) I'd like to thank Dave (Danemouth) for the photos, and also the numerous 'RMweb' -WAGGERS who stopped by over the two days, including amongst others Leon, Pacer Lover, Rouse2037, Retroman, Wayne37901, Merv, RandyWales, Valley Modeller and those I have forgotten.

In addition, it was good to chat with a number of former ASW and Current Celsa employees who stopped by; especially Mike Bird (Cardiff 4mm) and Phil from the Newport steamers.

Without appearing glib, we formed the opinion that Paul's circular opus was pretty well received (or were people being kind).

On behalf of Paul, thanks again.

And for those WAGGERS interested, there's a meet this Thursday, 8.00pm 'The Plough' Whitchurch, Cardiff, all are welcome.

Brian (and Paul) R

Archived