Another steelworks (but with a difference).

br2975

Nice photos of the layout there.

I've said it before, but Paul has managed to do an awful lot of modelling,

in a short space of time! Love all those intricate details!

It may be on a "lazy susan" bearing,

but it's been built by a "prolific paul!" :rolleyes:

Marc

P.S. What paint / mix did Paul use for the blue corrugated / box-section buildings?

Wouldn't it be cool if .....

the whole layout were on a rotating base so that it slowly turned as people looked on B)

Read on 'MacDuff' at ..... and learn why (at least for tyhe time being) why the layout doesn't revolve.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/20695-cardiff-show-2010-line-up/page__pid__245389__st__28#entry245389

....................and learn why (at least for the time being) why the layout doesn't revolve.

Brian R

OBO

Paul R

Great work guys.

Bearing in mind that the radius must be down to 18" in places, the pictures with the stock on the layout would suggest a much more generous radius. Even the immense length of the MBA doesn't show up the curvature.

Andy

Bearing in mind that the radius must be down to 18" in places, the pictures with the stock on the layout would suggest a much more generous radius. Even the immense length of the MBA doesn't show up the curvature.

Andy,

The radii in places are even tighter than 18" - the outer circle is laid in '3rd radius' Peco Setrack, whilst the inner circle is laid using "1st radius" Setrack.

The one point is a curved 'Setrack' example, whilst a standard Peco small diamond is used.

The sections of track joining these Setrack circles is again Peco flexible, and these are where the severe radii exist.

'Setrack' was used in order to negate the possibility of kinks at the joints that are likely when using flexible track in such circumstances.

For those who don't know the location(s) that inspired the model, these pictures of

(i) 08466 'Brillo' shunting MBAs (using a BRA as adaptor)across the Tremorfa weighbridge, and

(ii) 08951 shunting JNA's into the 'new' scrap bay go a little way to summing it up, ................ a shunter lurking behind the pallisade fencing and bushes, with pipelines and buildings behind.

Brian R

OBO

Paul R (aka Naturol)

post-1599-082668100 1288333213_thumb.jpg

post-1599-075798200 1288333781_thumb.jpg

More cracking, atmospheric shots Brian!

I think the layout has captured the feel of the place,

despite being based on such a tight curve.

P.S. Any chance of a sketch of the track-plan?

It's hard to see how Paul managed to fit pointwork + crossings in there!

Marc

P.S. Any chance of a sketch of the track-plan?

It's hard to see how Paul managed to fit pointwork + crossings in there!

Marc,

I know he has a scale plan drawn up on his CAD system, he took it to the Cardiff Show, but Paul's suffering computer problems at the moment, hence I've been posting updates on his behalf.

I'll try and sort out a layout plan with him.

Despite the severity of the curves, the use of Kadee No.19 couplings alleviates most problems - albeit the overhang inside the sharp curves where the inside circuit enters the mill buildings has caused clearance problems with bogie stock such as a Bachmann BRA and a Dapol VTG 'Ferrywaggon' - (my) stock which Paul didn't have to hand when building the layout. I took a Heljan 'cargowaggon' flat to the show, but it was a tad too long !!!!!!

When Paul wasn't around, I tried two Cl.08s running independently, but they always seemed to 'meet' at the diamond crossing (perhaps there's a scientific explanation ?).

Perhaps shorter two-axle stock is the answer i.e. ASW 'SB' billet carriers (in hand), some shorty bogie billet wagons e.g. former Bobol 'C', and Turbots and some 'Blackadder' POA and 'Redadder -BF' scrap wagons (also in hand - both kitbuilt and scratch).

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

'Setrack' was used in order to negate the possibility of kinks at the joints that are likely when using flexible track in such circumstances.

Looking at the second photo I think the kinks would be quite prototypical, perhaps not desired on the model though. :D

• 3 weeks later...

from the work bench.......................

the wagon fleet has been rebuilt and now follows prototypical practice with various rakes of billet, and coil wagons weathered, detailed and painted as per the originals, additional staff now populate the layout and things are on the up.

other developments

Ranelagh Bridge has been re susitated, old buildings have been removed and new foam board structures clad in plasticard have been installed, detailing on the layout has been increased and a new over bridge has been built, the feature six storey back drop has been completely re vamped and new scaffold has been built now in 20g wire (not the mark 1 pasta variety). The whole layout now has some character, the back scene is a bit of an issue at present, painted, printed, or photographic?

Ranelagh bridge is scheduled to be completed by Christmas.

photos of both layouts will be uploaded later this week.

finally,

plans for the next layout are complete and a Christmas wish list is being prepared, Harlech rail, wagon builders ltd, will be out (hopefully) in the new year,

thanks for the encouraging comments to date,

Paul.R

Ranelagh Bridge has been re susitated, old buildings have been removed and new foam board structures clad in plasticard have been installed, detailing on the layout has been increased and a new over bridge has been built, the feature six storey back drop has been completely re vamped and new scaffold has been built now in 20g wire (not the mark 1 pasta variety). The whole layout now has some character, the back scene is a bit of an issue at present, painted, printed, or photographic?

WARNING 'OT'

For those who missed it, here is a link to the thread (on the previous RMweb Forum)that originally illustrated Paul's 'Ranelagh Bridge' stabling point, whilst it was 'in storage' and before the facelift commenced.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=326305

Brian R

When Paul wasn't around, I tried two Cl.08s running independently, but they always seemed to 'meet' at the diamond crossing (perhaps there's a scientific explanation ?).

Brian R

Brian, have you never heard of "Sods Law"

or is it "Murphy's Law"?

Marc

P.S. Why did you wait until Paul wasn't around?

Are there now scratches to the paintwork on his 08's?

Paul.R

Paul,

What have you done with the "pasta" scaffolding on the houses behind the depot?

Hope you have not eaten it! :lol:

Marc

What have you done with the "pasta" scaffolding on the houses behind the depot?

Hope you have not eaten it! :lol:

Marc

Both Paul and I are suffering PC problems at the moment, so any posts will be limited.

Paul has made new scaffolding, using fine wire (c/o Hobbycraft) comprising standard 8'0" lifts, with scale scaffold boards, and toe boards from scribed styrene. He unveiled it at the club this week. Unfortunately, at the moment there are no pics.

It's a lot finer than the spaghetti version !

but

it doesn't taste as good !

Brian

Hi Brian & Paul

Loving the Real photo shots, the place must be huge...

The Layout side look absolutely, the paint work looks great to, keep the photos coming...

Jamie

Believe me, CELSA's one of the smaller plants. Llanwern used to be three miles from end to end, and even the bit that's left is over a mile long. The height of the structures has always impressed me, having climbed on to the roof of a BSC plant of similar dimensions to CELSA- not somewhere you'd want to fall off. Both Brian and Paul have captured the massiveness of this type of structure perfectly; I look forward to seeing them on show somewhere one day.

Believe me, CELSA's one of the smaller plants.

Brian is right, as plants go, Celsa (UK) Tremorfa & Castle Works are quite small, producing around up to 1,000,000 tonnes per annum of reinforcing rod, coil and also strips, angles and sections.

Celsa (UK) are less reliant on rail than the previous owners, Allied Steel & Wire, hence there is but one Cl.08 dedicated to Celsa internal movemments, and another which altho' referred to as the 'Tidal Pilot' actually spends most of its time shunting scrap wagons in and out of the Tremorfa plant.

In addition, part of the plant ; the original melt shop is now idle; there was talk of the EAF being sold abroad but who knows ?

We'll never return to the days when the internal system moved 50,000,000 tonnes per week (1990) or you'd find six Cl.08s on view (2001), in fact, apart from Toton, I don't suppose there's anywhere in the UK now where you'll find six working shunters together !

Brian R

• 1 year later...

Heads up !

"Castle Works" will be appearing in the next edition of Model Rail (No.169)- published on April, 19th.

I've had a sneak preview of Chris Nevard's photos and they are outstanding.

Brian R (br2975)

OBO

Paul R (naturol)

Superb, I can't wait to see the article on this fantastic concept, and something i have been concidering for a while as a small project for the kids to see trains go by at home ( I don't think they appriciate daddy's end to end projects ). The building is a stunning centre piece great work and a deserves all the attention it gets well done.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up ->

Apart from featuring in Model Rail 169, May 2012, along with a number of other layouts "Castle Works" will also be appearing at the "Pontypridd Model Railway Club" show this coming Saturday, 21st. April.

The show will be held at Crown Hill Community Centre, Llantwit Fardre between 10:00am and 3:00pm - (due to a prior engagement at the Cardiff City Stadium, I will be unable to make it .... don't all sigh at once).

The layout is also pencilled in for the annual Lord & Butler 'open house' over the Father's Day weekend. As this is an event to raise funds for local charities, please come along.

Brian R

obo

Paul R

Just a heads up ->

Apart from featuring in Model Rail 169, May 2012, along with a number of other layouts "Castle Works" will also be appearing at the "Pontypridd Model Railway Club" show this coming Saturday, 21st. April.

The show will be held at Crown Hill Community Centre, Llantwit Fardre between 10:00am and 3:00pm - (due to a prior engagement at the Cardiff City Stadium, I will be unable to make it .... don't all sigh at once).

The layout is also pencilled in for the annual Lord & Butler 'open house' over the Father's Day weekend. As this is an event to raise funds for local charities, please come along.

Brian R

obo

Paul R

post-1599-0-23816000-1334834631_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived