Another steelworks (but with a difference).

br2975

The current trend toward the modelling of steelworks and their associated railway systems continues, unabated.

My brother enjoys building layouts 'to prove a point' and his previous challenge was to build ranelagh Bridge stabling point on a 6'6" x 2'6" flush door for under 100 pounds - fine, until he installed a Heljan turntable.

Well Paul has been beavering away (sic) and his latest creation is shown below.

The layout is some 48" in diameter, and is built upon a circular piece of 50mm thick 'Celotex' cavity wall insulation block.

The 'Celotex' was then faced with 4mm ply, and edged with similar material. Unfortunately it is difficult to secure the ends of the ply to the 'Celotex' and this was overcome by running a strip of uPVC window trim around the top edge of the layout, just below the scenic ground level.

The trackplan is a flat 'looped eight' with one loop inside the other, and crossing using a diamond. All trackwork is Peco, using 'Setrack' in places and flexible elsewhere. There is one switch/point which is again a Peco 'Setrack' curved right hand.

The layout is wired as one section.

This is unashamedly a 'watching the train go by' layout, and as such, almost half of the 'looped eight' trackwork is located inside the large steelworks building. The train disappears through one entrance, to re-appear shortly after from the other doorway and then run around the rear of the building - you'll get the idea from the photos.

As a result, the whole train is rarely in full view, wherever the observer stands.

The (rather large) steelworks building is constructed from a foamboard carcass, clad with a variety of styrene sheets from different sources.

Here are a few shots to give an idea of the progress so far - there's much detailing still being undertaken.

The layout's creator is included in order to give an impression of the actual size of both the layout, and the one piece steelworks building

(I must apologise for the quality of the photos, poor lighting, not the best camera and even worse photographer !).

Brian R

on behalf of

Paul R.

post-1599-004949700 1286262094_thumb.jpg

post-1599-044538400 1286262237_thumb.jpg

post-1599-055548800 1286262278_thumb.jpg

post-1599-041895500 1286262360_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That looks like a very effect layout for such a simple track design. I like the way that the building is used to give so many different viewpoints.

A few more shots, for those who have found this interesting.

BTW - there are no prizes for those who shout out "I know where he got the idea from !"

Brian R

on behalf of

Paul R.

I won't say then. I do think it looks less cluttered with a smaller English loco like the 08 than a US Switcher :) Good stuff!!

ColinW

What scale/gauge please? (Apologies if I've missed it).

The layout is built to 4mm scale, using 'OO' gauge Peco trackwork - which had to be Code 100, as that was to tie in with the available 'Setrack' right hand point that was lurking in my scrapbox. So some cheapo 'Setrack' curves were also used in places, to avoid possible 'dog legs' in the flexible track joints, due to the extreme curvature - something we wouldn't normally use !

The Cl.08 is Bachmann product, in faded blue.

At the moment the layout is mounted on a couple of 'Screwfix' trestles and is at a height suitable for working; when displayed, the layout will be set much higher - with viewers looking "into" rather than "onto" the layout.

This, combined with a goodly dose of undergrwoth inside the pallisade and chain link fencing will serve to disguise the severe curvature of a large proportion of the trackwork, but will still allow the trains to be seen.

Brian R

on behalf of

Paul R.

post-1599-043023200 1286292920_thumb.jpg

post-1599-093272500 1286293072_thumb.jpg

post-1599-083452800 1286293099_thumb.jpg

Guest 40-something

Fantastic!

I think this is a great idea and possibly a way forward from end to end layouts

Looking forward to more updates!

Thanks for the interest folks, here are two more shots for you .

As the detailing continues, and once stock is added and trains (or rather THE train) run, then I'll add a few more photos with any updates.

Brian R.

on behalf of

Paul R.

post-1599-027083200 1286347175_thumb.jpg

post-1599-037106500 1286347251_thumb.jpg

I rather like that - nice concept.

It's rather clean though - from experience steel works are filthy places! They're horrible places really, but fascinating all at the same time so it's nice to see them modelled :)

Yes Brian,

I know where the idea came from - cos you showed it to me! :lol:

It seems like only a few weeks ago that we were talking about this idea in the pub :O

Please pass on my congratulations to Paul -

I think he's done a great job in such a short space of time!

As an earlier poster said - it's a little clean at the moment,

but having seen yours + Pauls previous handiwork,

I'm sure it will be suitably "dirtied" at a later date.

Nice looking buildings and plenty of other detail in such a small space :D

Nothing wrong with the "looking at trains going by" type of modelling either!

Nice work :D

Marc

Hi,

A very interesting concept and a very good representation of a steelworks!

Only one proble, which side do you view it from? :blink: :D

You must be able to get a lot of realistic flange squeal from this layout!

Simon

Hiya,

I too am loving this project.......it just fascinates me as to what all the miles of pipes are for in places like Sheerness steelworks and print complexes such as Aylesford, Kent.......who designs all that stuff ? :blink:

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to set the layout on a rotating stage type gadget so that it constantly rotates/revolves(?) in front of the viewer ? I reckon this would be really different, possibly amusing, but would also enable you to show off the whole layout....erm....at the same time ?

Anyways, Best Wishes with your layout,

Kindest Regards,

Dave

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to set the layout on a rotating stage type gadget so that it constantly rotates/revolves(?) in front of the viewer ?

Dave,

That's exactly what my brother has been working on.

Initially he planned to mount the layout on a 'lazy susan' and turn it with a rechargeable electric drill dunning/driving a rubber wheel which made contact with the underside of the board.

Currently he's investigating power to the layout as it revoloves, using a jack plug, as only two wires are needed with all tracks being live at any time.

Watch this space.

Brian R

on behalf of

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago there was a small 7mm narrow gauge layout (can't recall the name for the moment), that was set up to rotate, with the train running in such a way that the train was 'stationary' in front iof the viewer and the scenery went past!

Archived