Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just a couple of photos from Saturdays visit to Steveston BC.  Street car in local museum, were it was suggested that I could volunteer when (if) I retire to BC! 

And the local fresh fish market, were we partook f some of the best F&C that I've had any where! 

Try to enjoy some of today's tasks

Trev.

post-4282-0-58223200-1368427311.jpg

post-4282-0-74381500-1368427331.jpg

• Like 9

Morning All

It's a lovely day in North Northumberland, sun is shining!

It's back to work this morning after an excellent week off cruising the Med. I'm putting off opening email for as long as possible.......off to walk the dog now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning, a brisk blustery morning, still rather too chilly for the time of year.  However, it isn't raining (yet) and the office is both quiet and warm at the moment.  The quiet bit will expire shortly no doubt, when a weekend's worth of young offenders to deal with will emerge!

Cofee time I think, that'll help.

• RMweb Premium

The rather tiresome new icony/likey/ugh 'list' things don't display properly on my work computer, they're all overwritten on top of each other, so I don't know if I have a list of likes or a list 'do go away Neil' 's!!!!

Edit - I now can't edit without going to 'full editor' either.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Walking the dogs last night it felt just like winter. The days feel a little better but once the sun goes the temperature starts dropping. Oh for proper May weather.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Back to work so normality returns - it's a dull and miserable morning, so a perfect "back to work" day.

It tickles me the way people get over excited about new functionality, the like button is still there for those who simply want to carry on using that. Personally I'd only have a small number, like/dislike/agree/disagree sort of things. What really annoys me (and here I echo Ian's jovial request for a "to5ser" button) are those who spend most of their lives on other forums criticising everything over here but then pop back to put their boot in when the opportunity arises, poor Andy must tear his hair out. (Oops).

Peter (Trisonic) - the reason for a "blame beast" button is because, apparently, I'm to blame for everything (according to some luminaries)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Sun and showers, take the brolly sort of day and probably cold out there too.

Well, have a good day.  Stuff to do.

Polly.

I was using a tablet yesterday. with my stubby finger tips it was bloody hard hitting the right icon.  I suspect the wrong one, or rather not the one I meant, was published several times...

It's probably best to ignore this new function when using a tablet.

Yeah, I know this is nearly "indecipherable"...

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Good job you didn't choose the other French name for dandelions, though with the white vinegar at least you would have a disinfectant!

Had no idea how many names there are for this delightful specimen plant. "Pis en lit" was a favourite in my youf when staying in France. 

My son has just discovered the ancient tradition of telling the time by blowing on the seed head. I tend to get him to share his time telling ability with the neighbours, rather than with me.  :jester: Andy

• Like 3

Anyway....morning all from a rather overcast Hampshire with interludes of bright sunshine.

Just been asked to get a birthday present list together. The GWR pannier loco has been requested and I've added a water tower and a cattle wagon to the list, The new(ish) paperback by Steven Saylor is also on the list. Hold on, did I nearly just miss an opportunity to reprise one of the

?  

Some design work scheduled for today. Or an opportunity to drill holes in the dining room table, as swmbo may view my day's output later.  

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning All,

Sunshine & breezy this morning, 12oC & possibly showers to come.

Apparently my whinges about my bad back have fallen on a certain person's deaf ears because I'm told we need to go to the garden centre & buy shrubs & stuff! This implies that a certain amount of bending,digging & kneeling is required. 

Hope she's feeling energetic! 

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...  now defrosted after umpiring yesterday (luckily it turned into a short game!)

Very Black clouds here but things to do , places to go , people to see....

I was using a tablet yesterday. with my stubby finger tips it was bloody hard hitting the right icon.  I suspect the wrong one, or rather not the one I meant, was published several times...

Strange, over the years the military spent a lot of money on working out why you can't use touch screens if you have either - big fingers or wear gloves - seems this has flown past the rest of the electronics design and  manufacturing world..... 

have a great day

Barry O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

A certain person is probably of the opinion that keeping your bad back static is a bad thing, and that very gentle exercise and movement in all possible planes is better for your well being.

Personally I'd agree and that activity in the garden centre should be restricted to leaning against the trolley and groaning: followed by a rest and refuel in the cafe (Mike the Stationmaster will confirm how good this therapy is).

Once you get home and into the garden, adopt a prostrate form of praying position, in a warm part of the garden and tend a very small section of flowerbed with a trowel.

Should the weather be somewhat inclement, you could sit drinking tea, telling the certain person how you could have re-modelled the whole of the garden had it not been for the rain!

I've just finished the first bout of cleaning, and am currently in standby mode awaiting my next domestic tasking

I don't take any nonsense from the Obergrumpenfuhrer, I do exactly what I'm told.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

Strange, over the years the military spent a lot of money on working out why you can't use touch screens if you have either - big fingers or wear gloves - seems this has flown past the rest of the electronics design and  manufacturing world..... 

have a great day

Barry O

About 25 years ago - when I were a lad - we did some trials to see how well we could cope wearing air force PPE in hot climates. The resident psychologists had us doing tracking and vigilance computer-based tasks (using the Beeb micro if memory serves). When we repeated the trials with real pilots and threw in a mix of flying and the aforementioned computer-based tasks we got something of an insight....as soon as the psychologists backs were turned one pilot simply put his feet on the desk and controlled the joystick with his booted feet. I don't know if he subsequently had his plane (aircraft, aeroplane...) adjusted to allow him to control that with his feet, however. 

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The nephews were very pleased with the gloves that Aditi bought them for Christmas. The gloves have something in the finger/thumb ends that works with touch-screens. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Well we did get to the garden centre yesterday but the local one has gone downhill in the grub stakes with the nice lady who had a tenancy booted out and the centre now running their own show but managed by the female (I think) person who operated the cafe at the other local garden place before it shut down.  As this person's ideas of hygiene and ours don't exactly coincide the place has lost our catering custom.  But we (sorry herself) still buy garden type things and yesterday I added a new strimmer 'for small jobs' as it's much lighter than the Stihl machine and it has wheels; fortunately it rained not long after we got home.

But today is sunny and the wind is blowing so maybe strimming will be on the list, and rotovating is getting perilously closer, along with 'jungle clearance' at the bottom end of the garden.

Oh and pis en lit - well it allegedly does that if eaten as a salad item, processed into a drink it definitely doesn't and when it's about 10 years or more old it is as good as a decent malt whisky, with about the same potency ;)

Have a good day folks

• RMweb Gold

and yesterday I added a new strimmer 'for small jobs' as it's much lighter than the Stihl machine and it has wheels; fortunately it rained not long after we got home.

I've been waiting for an ER to express an opinion about strimmers! We don't have a big garden but it does have what seems like a lot of bits that require a strimmer.. I have had various Flymo and Bosch models over the years and they all work for a while and then develop the same fault. The auto line advance of whatever sort (bump or stop/start) ceases to function and the line breaks and has to be rethreaded through the hole. I  find this really irritating. So has anyone found a strimmer that either has a line advance that works reliably or has something that does the same task. I'd prefer a mains electric device but I am prepared to accept other solutions, as long as they don't involve shears, astro turf, or employing a gardener.

Yeah, I know this is nearly "indecipherable"...

Best, Pete.

Pete,

I have the same problem with my Kindle Fire so I now use these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GREAT-DEALS-different-colors-Touchscreen/dp/B00924UQ86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368440206&sr=8-1&keywords=stylus+pens+for+touch+screens

Regards,

Dave

May I take the blame for this awful weather?

On the two nice days last week I set the patio furniture up and bought a selection of plant pots for the patio,

After last Tuesday I haven't needed to water them!

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I've been waiting for an ER to express an opinion about strimmers! We don't have a big garden but it does have what seems like a lot of bits that require a strimmer.. I have had various Flymo and Bosch models over the years and they all work for a while and then develop the same fault. The auto line advance of whatever sort (bump or stop/start) ceases to function and the line breaks and has to be rethreaded through the hole. I  find this really irritating. So has anyone found a strimmer that either has a line advance that works reliably or has something that does the same task. I'd prefer a mains electric device but I am prepared to accept other solutions, as long as they don't involve shears, astro turf, or employing a gardener.

What does seem to avoid the problem are the ones that use those little plastic blades instead of the line feed method.  But beware the problem I encountered a couple of years back when part of the disc which holds the blades was damaged and I found it impossible to get either a spare part or indeed spare blades - net result the disc is unbalanced and while it still works after a fashion is clearly knocking itself apart in the process.

Alas the only ones I could find with blades yesterday in the local garden centre were of the cordless variety and were pretty heavy plus one hour's charge for 'about 10 minutes cutting sir' struck me as a bad bargain.  But the older one I had was good while it lasted although not up to heavier work which the Stihl takes in its stride (with me often having to advance the line manually, grr)

• RMweb Gold
I've been waiting for an ER to express an opinion about strimmers! We don't have a big garden but it does have what seems like a lot of bits that require a strimmer.. I have had various Flymo and Bosch models over the years and they all work for a while and then develop the same fault. The auto line advance of whatever sort (bump or stop/start) ceases to function and the line breaks and has to be rethreaded through the hole. I find this really irritating. So has anyone found a strimmer that either has a line advance that works reliably or has something that does the same task. I'd prefer a mains electric device but I am prepared to accept other solutions, as long as they don't involve shears, astro turf, or employing a gardener.[/quot

In short no, I've found the same problem though I moved to a lighter line which seems to have solved the problem for the moment.

Whilst on garden tools I used to have a no nonsense flymo vacumn which sucked things up brilliantly, the plastic handle became brittle and after several repairs I decided to buy a new one. Not a patch on the old one and why do I want a mulching facility (groan) just want to suck debris up and deposit in the bin.

It seems to me that manufacturers are always tinkering with new designs which are not as good as the original ones!

Windy and sunny with showers forecast, have a good day all.

Edited by Shedman5
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have, it seems been left a minor gardening task. Aditi did all the hard work yesterday widening the borders around the "lawn". However the transition curves between flowerbeds have become straight lines so I am designated to "sort it out". I think I may just think about it today.

• Like 1

Me too, Dave. The touch part is still too wide, I find.

One half the width would be ideal.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I have, it seems been left a minor gardening task. Aditi did all the hard work yesterday widening the borders around the "lawn". However the transition curves between flowerbeds have become straight lines so I am designated to "sort it out". I think I may just think about it today.

It is always important to plan such things very carefully and considerately before starting work - a variation on the old adage of 'measure twice and cut once'.  I recommend carrying on with planning until a rainy day.

• Like 2