The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Yes, and that plank that had to be crossed on the path down the cliff side.......

And talking of sex of coal, I can remember (just) when the whole load was just dumped in the back street and had to be loaded into the coal house through the wooden hatch. By the time I moved to secondary school we were posh, we had coke.

when I was up a few weeks ago I went over to Philadelphia.My big sister and I went to see my Nana's old house We had a drive up the back street and 90% still had the old coal hatches.I did wonder if the outside netties where still there,.Bloomin cold in the winter and that Izal paper!! 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, like 45156 I to visited Higginsons in Grange Over Sands today and indeed bought a pie amongst other things, high tide at 12.25 and the sea nearly made it over the marshes to the sea wall which 40 years ago it did every day!

Nice to have a warm sunny day and due for a repeat tomorrow and back to rain here on Monday, enjoy it whilst it lasts!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Trev's problem reminded me of providing telephone service to contractors at a power station. We needed an earth and the only one available was inside a cabinet with ssome high voltages fairly close. The foreman asked could the power be cut, when the power station is next switched off in six months was the reply. I just used thick rubber gloves and wrapped the spanner in thick polythene which did the job.

Don

• Like 1

We've just been through about 3 days of heavy showers and high wind. Good news for us but potentially bad news for most of you lot is that the system has now moved out into the Atlantic and strengthened.....

This is the same system that bought the Tornado to Moore.

Catching up with gardening Sunday then Monday is Memorial Day - the unofficial start to Summer, let's hope so.....

Dave, any decent WW2 games (strategy preferred) for Macs, do you know?????

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's a nice sunny morning here in Buckinghamshire.

Much as it was last night when we were having a few beers in Aylesbury.

Luckily not too many pints so we should be OK for driving this morning.... On the layout that is.

Ian

Good morning one and all!

A second day of sunshine and on a w/e too! Yesterday we went by bus (yes, we have OAP passes) to Brixham where they have a BrixFest, which was pleasant enough, especially the cider stall! Lunch was enjoyed in an excellent hostelry, The Crown and Anchor,, dating from 1623, in the company of a lovely old Lab.

post-10142-0-92044200-1369548088_thumb.jpgpost-10142-0-53735800-1369548289_thumb.jpg

Make the most of the sun and thanks for the warning, Pete, of potentially stormy times ahead!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Raining endlessly thus far and I don't think this is going to change much, going by the forecast which has now been amended by a high winds warning. The rabbits don't appear to be bothered much, though, as they're doing their usual morning rounds around the living room!

Thanks for the heads-up re that storm front, Pete!

Ashers: Did that lab want to remain anonymous?

Reminds me of those police programmes when they obscure the faces (don't know why - let's see the scrotes).

Another lovely day here - the 4th this year. We're being spoiled.

12 degrees tomorrow and showers we're told.

50 Guardsmen now have bearskins (don't get excited, girls).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Looks sunny here. I haven't been out yet.

I may have an opportunity to photograph a Labrador puppy tomorrow. We are going to see Aditi's cousin in Uxbridge and they acquired a Lab yesterday. 

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a beautiful sunny Leeds. 

Cricket was a long drawn out 100 overs - but at least I was warm!!

Day off cricket today - but I could sneak into Headingley for the odd hour or two.....

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 1

Good Morning all,  

Even got a bit of modelling done last night..!!!!!

Off to work for a short time soon.  While my crew are messing with the High voltage stuff I've got a couple of sensors to fit in the main gas line.......

Whatever your up to today, enjoy some of it if you can, 

Trev.

Ashers: Did that lab want to remain anonymous?

Reminds me of those police programmes when they obscure the faces (don't know why - let's see the scrotes).

).

I took the pics on my iPhone so not the best and the dog moved in the second one. In fact, after uploading it, I realised I'd chosen the wrong one but hadn't time (or inclination!) to correct it as I needed to call my daughter in Australia. Suitable time slots are limited with the nine hour time difference at this time of year. Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, quick look in as we still have guests.

Super SUNNY day yesterday, hard to believe.  Classic racing absorbed, some BBQ and wine also in the normal manner.

TT practice saw the sidecar crew from RMWeb, got a nice wave from 'Inky Annie' who we sponsored in a very modest manner.

That's all folks!

Morning all, it is a little overcast here but not raining so I shall get the lawns cut today. We had a few days in North Wales in our motorhome last week and had to curtail the trip when my wife was taken ill in the early hours of Wednesday morning. We packed up and drove home, though every town we passed though I was looking for hospital A & E signs with no luck. Fortunately Kath felt better as we drove, possibly sitting upright did the trick. She is now on antibiotics and is much better.

What bothered me was the lack of A & E hospital provision in north and mid Wales. In an emergency I could have dialled 999 and asked for directions, but I like to think that such emergency facilities will be well signposted. Perhaps the thinking is that the ambulance drivers know where they are so that's all right.

We were talking about this to our daughter and she showed us her fancy phone with a voice activated query system on it. ( I don't know how else to describe it). She demonstrated by asking for a local hospital with A&E department.

Phone, " I cannot find Andy Department".

Daughter, " You are stupid".

Phone, "Sorry but I'm doing my best".

They say laughter is the best medicine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.... Suitable time slots are limited with the nine hour time difference at this time of year.

Matthew has been moving around a country with quite a few time zones this year. I got so used to subtracting various hours before contacting him I even found myself doing it when we were all in Alberta at Easter. I wasn't sure if Nova Scotia (he is now in Halifax) had an unusual time zone like Newfoundland but fortunately I don't have to do mental arithmetic involving half hours. When Aditi's brother worked at a hospital in New Zealand, whenever Aditi telephoned she said "good morning", amusing the receptionist as it was evening there.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Dave, any decent WW2 games (strategy preferred) for Macs, do you know?????

Best, Pete.

Hi Pete,

I play MOHAA (Medal of Honour, Allied Assault), on Windows, not really strategy although we used to play team games when I was running a clan, so we would be on headsets talking to each other to achieve the objective but this normally deteriorated into leg pulling and general chat etc fairly quickly. It's an old game now, liked for it's simplicity but is still popular

Morning all.

Sunny but not overly hot at the moment, a simple day of shopping and some decorating - hopefully with a ballast working mixed in - for us.

Have a good day all.

Thanks, Dave (and Tony via PM).

Neil, "Velocity" will showing complete action from IoM TT everyday - just not as it happens (so I don't have to get up early - we'll probably have better coverage than the UK!

Give us a wave!

Barry, It looks like a Root year......... Joe Root only looks about 14 - his Father is only 46 (or so) and still turning out!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Barry, It looks like a Root year......... Joe Root only looks about 14 - his Father is only 46 (or so) and still turning out!

Best, Pete.

Yep and his Dad plays serious cricket - his brother Billy was on  as a sub at Lords where he is with the "Groundstaff" - ie MCC Emerging cricketers and he can play a bit too.

While they got 94 overs in yesterday we managed 100 in 6 hours 10 minutes of play  - time they got a shake on in these Test matches - and they don't have to go looking for the odd lost ball!

Cricket tea yesterday - shredded(hot) steak sandwiches, chips, salad, beef and onion sandwiches, ham sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, onion bhajis, pakoras and cake...

Plus a mug of tea...  very nice and thank you Idle CC "T" ladies...