Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Mornin all

Stewart, you're not telling me that there are some people who haven't heard of Oor Wullie or Maw, Paw and the rest of the family? Shame on them.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Mediocre night's sleep means I'll require some more coffee. Aside from doing some laundry and possibly sorting out some stuff, I have nothing planned so far. Still partially cloudy, so storms may yet be a possibility.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Made the journey to Suffolk despite being very tired and was actually fully asleep when the alarm went off, first time for a while - a very warm day today, 20C and rising at the moment.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Although temperatures have dropped outside, the house refuses to cool down due to lack of air movement, which is seriously boring. Overcast and not too warm outside, still bloomin' stuffy within.

My cleaner will start next Tuesday afternoon. We had met before - but she's lost 25 lbs since then, so a much trimmer person. Seems a bit concerned that the house isn't really filthy, and not sure what she'll be achieving. I see an advantage in simply not being responsible for absolutely everything here! She took a large daffy of washing away to be ironed, so that's a great start.

Hope your day goes ok.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

What you haven't made clear is how long it was between sightings of your cleaner.

Did she lose 25 lbs in 3 days or 3 years?

If it were the former I'd suspect  a form of gastro-enteritis.

As for her concern over lack of filth, there are many of your ER friends who will gladly travel over and help dirty the place up for you if it would make the lady happier.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning, wet misty and wrm here, not pleasant at all in the offioce.

Team Meeting day - deep joy.  Squabbles between social worlers and police officers all morning..... :butcher: 

Edited by New Haven Neil

"Filth is Us"?

Ian, are fans unavailable in France? One of the best kind of fans available in the US is a rather large one that fits into window openings and just blasts the inside air outside...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning and apologies for being late! Had some discussion with builders re door types, skirting boards (NOT MDF!), door handles, tiles etc.

Sparkies were here till 6:30 last night and have fitted the distribution board and lighting circuits. Power circuits today including the one to go into the garage (another potential layout playing room....

Warm and sunny with white fluffy clouds at the moment.

Have a great day today!

Beast - drink lots of water - used to help me with jetlag...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh.......you do know how to make a girl swoon.....that first glorious shot of Art Deco.... . :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

then all those trains.... :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

I'm gonna run out of smileys.....

Thanks for posting.....you can catch up on sleep, now....we know you've been sorting them non-stop since landing.... :mosking: :mosking:

Smiley quota used up....

Have a grand day, all.

Polly

• Like 1

Dave, thanks!

I'm wondering whether instead of sorting them and putting them all in one post to have: Mainline Trains (Locos). Track (incl. Signal, Infrastructure). Freight Cars (incl.Containers).

Something like that? It's up to you, though.

Also I wonder whether you could put some kind of "teaser" so that the die hard UK guys can be persuaded to take a look too?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

What you haven't made clear is how long it was between sightings of your cleaner.

Did she lose 25 lbs in 3 days or 3 years?

If it were the former I'd suspect  a form of gastro-enteritis.

As for her concern over lack of filth, there are many of your ER friends who will gladly travel over and help dirty the place up for you if it would make the lady happier.

I previously saw the lady at her rather ramshackle house (in 17 acres!) in January, when I was a lunch-guest. Her cobwebs were impressively larger than mine (ooh!) and I think that is her problem. She turns out to have done 4 years training as an architect, so is a fairly bright person, too, with an artistic bent, although she then didn't complete the course to qualify. I wonder about any model-making skills..... She has 3 kids under 10 with her partner, BTW, so is not a future prospect for this widower!

As for an RMweb site-visit - I need to have a model railway for people to play with before that can happen. I have a lot of track down, working point motors and simply oodles of trains - but the last few years have been unproductive, and I'm still struggling to get the act together, TBH.

Pete - yes, I have a column fan upstairs I should be using, and will dig it out. The aircon thingie really didn't do much - it blew out slightly chilled air, and spat out lots of water, but wasn't a patch on the sort in even a cheap car. I suspect it has a problem, although it's not been used much since new in 2006. Pity.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

good advice about the fans Pete - several days into the heatwave we suddenly remembered our two sitting up in the attic, they weren't sitting up there for very long after that . and that's in our well insulated modern house.  Anyway it's distinctly cooler here today but despite teh showers yesterday we are definitely going to have to pump water out of the bulk tank as the garden is distinctly shrivelling.

Not much else to report - a letter going to Nightmares Dreams today and their reaction will be awaited with considerable interest, and possibly some further amusement and amazement judging by their behaviour to date.

Have a good day one & all

I just went for a stroll around the garden as day is breaking (sun up is still some way off). Quite cool and dry, 70f (21C) which in UK speak is actually quite warm! Humidity is gone and very comfortable.

We had our 20th Anniversary last week (Wife and Daughter are off to Italy next week for 17 days). I was reading through some old diaries and noted that when I realized this thing with the woman that was to become my Wife was serious I made note of her dress sizes and what used to be called her "vital statistics" (so I could gift her some clothes).

She was 34B - 24 - 34 at age 29. Today she is 34B - 25 - 34! Still beautiful.

I wished that I could say something similar for me.......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I previously saw the lady at her rather ramshackle house (in 17 acres!) in January, when I was a lunch-guest. Her cobwebs were impressively larger than mine (ooh!) and I think that is her problem. She turns out to have done 4 years training as an architect, so is a fairly bright person, too, with an artistic bent, although she then didn't complete the course to qualify. I wonder about any model-making skills..... She has 3 kids under 10 with her partner, BTW, so is not a future prospect for this widower!

As for an RMweb site-visit - I need to have a model railway for people to play with before that can happen. I have a lot of track down, working point motors and simply oodles of trains - but the last few years have been unproductive, and I'm still struggling to get the act together, TBH.

Pete - yes, I have a column fan upstairs I should be using, and will dig it out. The aircon thingie really didn't do much - it blew out slightly chilled air, and spat out lots of water, but wasn't a patch on the sort in even a cheap car. I suspect it has a problem, although it's not been used much since new in 2006. Pity.

ERrrrm...there'd be loads of hands available to help you get your act together.... :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Edit - to add smileys :sungum:

Edited by southern42

I have a fan going in my office - we are not lucky enough to have air conditioning.  Only the computer equipment gets that - because otherwise it craps out.

My experience of the portable air conditioners at home is that they consume a lot of power, for not a lot of cooling power.  A few weeks ago I dragged ours out of the attic and put it on to see if it was better than I remembered it - it wasn't.

I managed to bring the inside temperature down by a couple of degrees but only after the thing running for several hours at 1KWh.

The best solution appears to have the window open wide overnight, and then close the shutters in the daytime to avoid the sun getting in.  It's not perfect, but it is better and cheaper than the air con unit, which has been relegated back to the attic!

• RMweb Gold

My neighbours have just been round to tell me that someone broke into their house last night. The front door (UPVC type) had been levered around the lock. Neighbour thinks that the thief leaned on the doorbell while levering the door. Their bell doesn't ring by the door but remotely in their other rooms. My neighbour put his shorts on to see who had rung the bell and went down. Only this morning they realised what was missing from the shelf just inside the door.

Tony