The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Hello, is our membership shrinking? It only took half an hour to catch up on posts since I logged off yesterday!

Clear weather has settled in but at a cooler temperature than yesterday. Max of 21C today compared to 29C which was registered yesterday afternoon.

Happy Hump day all.

I'm thrilled by the response to my travel post of yesterday. Thanks for reading and responding.

• Like 1

Morning All,

I must admit that I have never really understood the Imperial system - I learnt some elements briefly in school, but we concentrated primarily on metric.  I don't even really think in miles anymore - Kilometers have become a far more normal measurement.  However, I appreciate that many people do still think in imperial - which is one of the disadvantages of the half implementation of the metric system.

What does annoy me, is when railway magazines don't quite measurements in metric as well as imperial!  I usually end up having to work out how big they actually mean.  Still, at the end of the day, it isn't worth getting excited about.

The weather is quite reasonable, but now chilly in the mornings and evenings.  Which is why I was particularly pleased that we were able to light out log burner for the first time last night.

20131001_181821_zpsc8b796e3.jpg

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello, is our membership shrinking?

Only because the weather is getting colder.

Having said that, it would appear that DD is still having his trials and tribulations.

Unless he's already lost in France.

The weather is quite reasonable, but now chilly in the mornings and evenings.  Which is why I was particularly pleased that we were able to light out log burner for the first time last night.

Oh wow!...that`s lovely; what a swish design. :tender:

• RMweb Premium

Problem with metrics is that it isn't configured around the human body (at least in measurement of length) A good size 9 cricket boot is a handy check for a foot - and three of those make a yard. I don't seem to have much metric on me....

Rainy here and chilly.. 

TGIW!  a bit of modelling today and getting to grips with my new phone....

Have a fantabidossie day...

• Like 1

Rain and heavy-overcast this morning.........a quiet coffee and then off to the beach for an extended 'walkies' with the dogs, then a reprovisioning duty.

Some modelling time has been allocated for this afternoon. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Morning All,

I must admit that I have never really understood the Imperial system - I learnt some elements briefly in school, but we concentrated primarily on metric.  I don't even really think in miles anymore - Kilometers have become a far more normal measurement.  However, I appreciate that many people do still think in imperial - which is one of the disadvantages of the half implementation of the metric system.

What does annoy me, is when railway magazines don't quite measurements in metric as well as imperial!  I usually end up having to work out how big they actually mean.  Still, at the end of the day, it isn't worth getting excited about.

Have a good day everyone...

Clearly a very efficient stove - the nearby window has to be open to get near enough for the photo!

Man was not designed for metrification he was built to imperial sizes.

I.E.

one inch - the length of a thumb from first joint to end

four inches the width of a hand

three hands one foot

three feet or one pace equals one yard

the span from nose to tip of finger arms outstretched 3 feet

the span of both arms outstretched equals 6 ft. 

Anon..........

Good morning all.

My Dad always reckoned that coping with the Imperial weights and measures and Lsd currency was what made the British the best inventors, scientists and engineers in the world. The metric generation (me) and the entry to the Common Market were the beginning of the end!

Ed

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Whilst poaching the river,yesterday, caught a perch,with my rod,hid it under a bushel, till the baliff passed by,legged it home after climing over the chainlink fence.

Did he chase you furlong ?

• RMweb Gold

By, mention of those 'red exercise books' doesn't half bring back the memories.

)A good size 9 cricket boot is a handy check for a foot - and three of those make a yard. I don't seem to have much metric on me....

I'm size 10 so I must be metric.

... unless it means I'm binary because I'm two footed - but thats imperial.

I'm confused.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but dull & 14oC, might brighten up later but with a slight possibility of rain.

Not sure what's on the cards for today  but may have the pleasure of a visit to the dump. Chris is on holiday so I expect any moment to be hit with "what are we going to do? - I can't sit around all day" I sometimes think that she thinks that's all I do!

Later on we'll have the kids here after school - we've got them every day as Nicki is working full time this week.

Have a good one

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Real dull and gloomy start to the day here, except for the first few minutes after leaving home when there was a red glow in the sky, but that's vanished and the clouds are here.

Nothing much to report so simply have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Raining here. 

It may rain all day.

MiL did send an audio message and some photos from San Francisco via her brother's iPhone last night. The next couple of days are at sea sailing to Mexico so I suspect she will be playing a lot of bridge.

I still have a high temperature but I'm not coughing or sneezing any more so the chicken soup diet must have done some good. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

If we had 12 digits we would probably had a base 12 counting system so the final finger would have been 10.

My point Tony is we would have invented new characters for ten and eleven and twelve would have been written 10. I expressly mentioned digits as we count our thumbs as well as fingers. If we had ignored out thumbs we would have counted in octal  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 etc.

If you base your measurements on the human body never buy from a short person! Three of my wife's feet would not make a full yard.

Don

• Like 1

Morning all. Damp here, so officially it is now autumn.

When I work with US engineers over in Boston they are always quoting BTU at me. I assumed they were talking about British Thermal Units, but now realise they were just harping on again about British Tea Upturned.

Tasked with house cleaning today, but if I finish to an high standard in a timely manner there'll be time to do some work on the layout. Might even get a loco running today. :)

Have a splendiferous day.  

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

somewhat soggy and miserable outside and the heating has just been turned on inside so I'm advised - good job I topped-up the ready-use log pile last week as the wodd burning stove will be next on the list for heating use I suspect.

Having spent many years working in units involving miles, chains, and yards together with an hour that contains 60 minutes and fits into a day 24 times I do find some metric things downright inconvenient and at least my predecessor in my final big railway job got the EU Commission to officially recognise miles & chains as the official units of railway distance measurement in the UK (shame some of the juveniles are now using kilometres - but they still talk of chainage :O ).

Herself is off to Plymouth for the day tomorrow and I'm tasked with getting the lawn mower guarantee form completed but I might head south for Alton as well if the weather isn't too bad; today's orders have not yet been issued.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, wet very wet and cold and wet have all turned up uninvited brought Autumn with them too. Mrs B isn't too bad she already knows what is to come thanks to a nifty little booklet from the hospital...... it is that encouraging that it should be subtitled 'kill yourself now while you can'. She has been told quite firmly to stop smoking but I think that will not happen until some damage has been done.

• RMweb Gold

Rumour has it that 12 became involved in counting systems via the Ancient Egyptians who counted on just one hand.  They used their thumb to count off the spaces between the joints on the four fingers. Try it.  Four fingers x three joints = 12.

What they were doing with their other hand at the time I don't know.

Edit: can't spell Egyptian

Edited by BoD