RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, 

Excitement last night,  power from the grid came back - at varying voltage......pop - pop-pop went light bulbs....then the water pump in the attic started going crazy....then the power went, so back to the house generator!.  

Then suddenly last evening I found I'm supposed to be running a training course this afternoon! 

Oh well, all part of life's rich tapestry I suppose, 

be good, 

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Has Joe won a politeness award yet?

He won several at his primary school as did his sisters. It's something that has been insisted on in our family for years - "politeness costs nothing" as my grandparents used to say.

I don't think his secondary school do them but his first report after a couple of months is excellent - mainly A's with 3 B's!

He's been duly reprimanded about the B's! :jester:

• Like 4

He won several at his primary school as did his sisters. It's something that has been insisted on in our family for years - "politeness costs nothing" as my grandparents used to say.

:jester:

Some years ago, I was teaching in a Primary School where the (weird!) Deputy Headteacher introduced me to her class as "... a teacher who thinks good manners are important"!!

She might as well have said, "Meet this old fashioned odd bod!"

• Like 4

a teacher who thinks good manners are important"!!

Aren't they?  The implication of the Deputy Head is that they aren't - and that is rather worrying.

Sometimes I think I am getting much too old.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Politeness has long gone - just try holding a shop door open .... very few responses of "thank you"

Wet and dreary here in Leodis, moat filling up nicely - may need to start the pump going to get a garden back...

Off out for lunch with the Herbert today - Betty's in Harrogate(!)  - just off to get a mortgage to pay for it...

Have a great day and try and stay warm and dry...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, nothing but rain yesterday, might have wind and rain today just really coat the garden in leaves. The green bin will be fully occupied for the foreseeable future by leaves until they stop collecting it anyway. I have taken some time off work so my blood pressure has gone down a lot and hopefully the tablets should lower it further as I keep taking them. The problem now seems to be my pulse which is way too high still. Off for a bit of blood letting next week and then next Friday will see the Doctor for the results. Apart from teaching the cats to swim nothing too exciting planned. Have a good day if not a dry one.

My table in the communal dining room is directly in line with and next to the double entrance doors through which the freezing breeze of winter or the howling wind of Summer blow. I am not polite to people who stand holding the door open whilst chatting to someone on the other side.

• Like 3

Wet and miserable here, but sun promised for tomorrow. Come to think of it the weather forecast sounds like an economic forecast! 

I don't know about anyone else, but politeness seems to have been lost from the older generations as much as any.

It's everything from doors being held open without even the remotest of acknowledgement to giving way to other drivers who seem to have their necks paralysed to avoid nodding a "thanks". 

Years ago my then lodger used to insist his children held doors open for older people. And when the older people failed to say "Thank you" to the children he would tap them on the shoulder and explain that if his children had gone to the trouble of holding a door open then at the very least they should acknowledge it. Worked every time!   

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Last night after photographing the stone train I was heading home, as I approached a crossroads, with a couple of lights coming the other way and one approaching from the right, I had a premonition that something was going to happen - hard to explain it was like me saying to myself "be careful here" - I slowed down and b$$$er me, the car approaching from my right, which should have given way simply went straight over the crossroads - populated by 3/4 young lads so probably daring the driver. Me and the vans (2 off) coming the other way had to brake, fortunately not too much due to my inner voice but I was then forced to the side of the road to avoid the vans, into an innocuous puddle - so I thought "bang" "bang" - two tyres shredded - instantly. Fortunately this was only a few hundred yards from home so I limped back.

I've been back this morning and photographed the location, with a ruler showing that after only a couple of inches of water the road surface drops 9-12" - yes up to 1 foot of hidden danger. Even on foot as I was inching forward I managed to get water over the top of my boots.  I'll be contacting the council in a minute to report it and start the claim procedure - not sure if I'll win but nothing to lose by trying. I am supposed to be heading North today but this has knocked my enthusiasm so I might cancel and stay home, depends when the tyre man turns up  to replace the two blow outs ("between 11 and 1"). I don't think there is any other damage - fortunately.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

I was up early this morning but this is my first chance to sit down with the PC. 

Warm and wet weather is forecast for today. 

I appear not to have been left any tasks today. Aditi hopes to be home by 7 as the bank manager is bringing round some documents for her to sign. He was originally coming yesterday but asked to postpone. A good job really as her shift as Duty Principal yesterday afternoon comprised dealing with two medical events and and an incident involving impoliteness to a member of staff by two students. This made her working day considerably longer as every incident has to be logged and a report written about any action resulting from the incident. I suspect her blood pressure may have been somewhat elevated.

Tony

Morning all, nothing but rain yesterday, might have wind and rain today just really coat the garden in leaves. The green bin will be fully occupied for the foreseeable future by leaves until they stop collecting it anyway. I have taken some time off work so my blood pressure has gone down a lot and hopefully the tablets should lower it further as I keep taking them. The problem now seems to be my pulse which is way too high still. Off for a bit of blood letting next week and then next Friday will see the Doctor for the results. Apart from teaching the cats to swim nothing too exciting planned. Have a good day if not a dry one.

At one of the previous Discworld Conventions, Terry Pratchett told a story of his mishap involving a sandwich, the resulting effects being blood pressure medication. His wife apparently found out that 1 beer halved the need, and 2 beers removed the need for the medication. There after he said she insisted he have 2 beers each evening, even ordering creates for him, very sternly insisting too according to him!

• Like 3

Morning all.

Last night after photographing the stone train I was heading home, as I approached a crossroads, with a couple of lights coming the other way and one approaching from the right, I had a premonition that something was going to happen - hard to explain it was like me saying to myself "be careful here" - I slowed down and b$$$er me, the car approaching from my right, which should have given way simply went straight over the crossroads - populated by 3/4 young lads so probably daring the driver. Me and the vans (2 off) coming the other way had to brake, fortunately not too much due to my inner voice but I was then forced to the side of the road to avoid the vans, into an innocuous puddle - so I thought "bang" "bang" - two tyres shredded - instantly. Fortunately this was only a few hundred yards from home so I limped back.

I've been back this morning and photographed the location, with a ruler showing that after only a couple of inches of water the road surface drops 9-12" - yes up to 1 foot of hidden danger. Even on foot as I was inching forward I managed to get water over the top of my boots.  I'll be contacting the council in a minute to report it and start the claim procedure - not sure if I'll win but nothing to lose by trying. I am supposed to be heading North today but this has knocked my enthusiasm so I might cancel and stay home, depends when the tyre man turns up  to replace the two blow outs ("between 11 and 1"). I don't think there is any other damage - fortunately.

Have a good day all.

And I thought Coventry was bad for potholes! they break suspension springs round here regularly i find! hope your claim goes well and sounds like you had a lucky escape from idiot carnage, out of the possibilities i'd prefer i think two blown tyres to the possible collisions.

I have taken some time off work so my blood pressure has gone down a lot and hopefully the tablets should lower it further as I keep taking them. The problem now seems to be my pulse which is way too high still. Off for a bit of blood letting next week and then next Friday will see the Doctor for the results. 

Mick: Well blood letting has a significant pedigree, spanning 2000 years; nevertheless, the thought of it would put my blood pressure up, not alleviate it!! Could they offer a course of leaches too as a sort of BOGOF treatment? Good luck. :)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to hear that Barry is off to Betty's - turn on strong green reaction.  However not as bad as it could be as Mrs Stationmaster will be making bread and leek & potato soup so while our lunch will be a bit more 'umble than one at Bettys it will be mighty enjoyable, have a good time Barry.

Lunch apart it is raining and forecast to last all morning but the gutter repair seems to have worked - the section I carefully cut to length and inserted last year now appears to be a good inch or more shorter than the space it is meant to occupy but nothing else appears to have moved :scratchhead: Garden designer is popping in to look at results of lawn construction and I shall be popping out for the 'paper - another exciting day at Stationmaster Towers.

Have a good day one & all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning dry (at the moment) but dull and grey here, off shortly for my daily ( when i am  not due to play tennis) walk which is about 2 miles, a circular route down country lanes which is quite pleasant.

Politeness seems to be on the decline sadly, not many jobs scheduled for today so some time in the shed beckons, trees now finished, next project to be decided upon.

Have a good day all.

• RMweb Gold

The man is currently replacing the tyres, no other damage, a slight scuff to both wheels but nothing of significance. I've reported the hole and made a claim so all's as well as it can be.

Bags packed so away for some coal action - the black stuff not the nuclear stuff - for a couple of days.

• RMweb Gold

There is nothing as satisfying as a bowl of home-made soup for lunch. Specialite de la maison chez nous being courgette. Unusually refreshing to hear of a lawn 'under construction'......mostly being 'hard landscaped' nowadays....try 'Green Thumb' for lawn treatment. A well-manicured lawn sets off a 'traditional' English garden a treat. A scruffy one irritates

Wet here...as most places,it seems.To local cinema tonight,to see HD screening of NT production of Hamlet.....Rory Kinnear.At £12 a seat,the bargain of the day......one mile...and free parking !

• Like 1

Yet another beautiful morning here in the Gotham Metroplex. Partly cloudy later. We're hoping for a bit of rain tomorrow but it will not be much.

Since we have have had clear day wind everywhere is inundated with leaves. Poor year for good Fall colour.

So many leaves around that they are impossible to bag we pile them at the kerb and the local council comes around (about three times) with a front loader and a fleet of large trucks.

Best, Pete.