The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

To quote the late, great, Eric Morecombe "there's no answer to that..."

L\

iD

Oh, yes there is, it's "Do you have the Scrolls?" at which Eric replies "No, I always walk like that.."

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Just finished sifting through, and tagging, my photos from the photo round last night, so stay tuned for a blog entry in a few. It's been good to be out spotting for a change as I really had not been able to get to that since our move...

Some final purchases for our contribution to the Christmas dinner will need to be made today as I figure the stores will be totally overrun tomorrow, and  have no inclination of treating myself to that...

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 1

I seem to remember a cricket game using brass 'die'

"Tap and die".........The most dangerous engineering workshop process ever! :mosking:

Breaking news: "Dyed die, die!"......What a wonderful language. :yes:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Wet and windy and forecast to be wetter and windier later

We all enjoyed the Hobbit film yesterday, considerably more than the film critic who had reviewed it in the newspaper!

Aditi now seems to be planning menus that read like computer programs IF ...THEN ... ELSE to take account of people arriving, early, staying longer or suddenly changing food preferences.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

"Tap and die".........The most dangerous engineering workshop process ever! :mosking:

Breaking news: "Dyed die, die!"......What a wonderful language. :yes:

and dice can be something to do with gambling or vegetables.

• Like 1

Good grief, postings are in overdrive... :O

After being together for 23 years, Mrs S and I discovered something new about ourselves.  Every year Jack has bought the Christmas Turkey and Christmas Dinner has been a feast. I happened to watch the One Show a couple of nights ago and a young girl who had been homeless and was writing a blog showed how she could prepare a sumptuous Christmas Lunch for £3.50 a head.  The key element was a roast chicken not a turkey and one guy sat at the table couldn't tell the difference.  Talking about it we realised that for all the years we have been together, Jack had only been cooking a turkey because she thought I liked it...

I actually prefer chicken as turkey can be quite dry.  Needless to say this year we have a chicken.  No wonder there are wars in the world when it took 23 years to resolve a simple misunderstanding... :drink_mini:

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning, heavy rain and wind due later ( the latter could also be dependent on my lunch) realised last night that there were  a couple of items we had forgotten to get, so I was up and in waitrose for 0800 and left at 0820. All done and sorted and the festivities start today in earnest today with visitors etc.

Enjoy the day

Morning All!

A wet & windy one like most of the rest of the UK I guess.  Yesterday was glorious though, clear sunny skies, little wind and not too cold.  Should be like that here in Slapding for Christmas Day it seems, so it'll be out with the new Brasher Hiking Boots for a post lunch 7 mile walk and back to a nice fire, port and stilton!

• Like 1

Morning all. Going to be a wet one across much of the country today, I imagine.

Gordon, I believe the secret to getting the turkey dry is to start the cooking of it early - around September. If you're one of a growing number of Brits who are getting a taste for moist food then simply chuck in a 1/4 bottle of white wine into the pan.

As for left overs I'll be checking out Nigella's website for ideas for cold turkey.  

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• RMweb Gold

So, the plural of grouse is...?

Ed

Exactly! According to Railway World (Ian Allan) about 1969 that's where the word comes from. A couple of numbersnatchers in the heather or whatever near Ribblehead Viaduct, waiting for the train to snap it, disturbed a pair of grouse which took off with a flurry of wings etc. Allegedly the chaps looked at each other and said "Grice"!

Good to see ERs descending (?) into Pre-Xmas euphoria. Love NHN's pics of the Santa hats on the little diesels etc.

Peter (Slapding) - Brasher boots are a very fine make, but is 7 miles sensible if they are brand new? Are they 3- or 4-season? The latter can be a bit tough to adjust to!

Cleaner Alison has not been as productive in readying her home as she had wished, so has asked to move her Xmas Eve cleaning of my place to Boxing Day. Not a problem - but I'm out of eggs, which she sells me, so no smoked salmon & scrambled eggs with fizz Xmas Morning! First time in many years. Still, she is cooking dinner for me later the same day. Big picture, Dudley, big picture.

Hope your final prep goes well.

• Like 1