The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I don't believe it!

I've just watched a rugby match & for the first time in my life I've seen a loose head prop forward wearing gloves!

I wonder what Fran Cotton thinks about that!

https://www.colorsport.co.uk/comment/sports-views/mudman

I used to wear gloves sometimes. Makes it easier to hold your opposing prop within kicking range

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ever increasing amounts of mistletoe to be seen on various sorts of trees hereabouts Ian - it has gradually got more prevalent of the last decade or so and no doubt mainly because of lack of attention to trees in terms of coppicing and other ideas which Lord Smiff and his eco-bureaucrats regard as 'unnatural'.

There are many things that I would like to do to that shower of useless goodfornothings, and all of them are unnatural.

You can't beat a good Sunday lunch and with family around we were really struggling to find a local pub that had space available.  After a couple of 'nothing before 3.30' responses, I managed to get a table here.  A pub I hadn't tried in years as we had a disappointing meal and service on a previous visit.  Glad to say new ownership has worked wonders.  A roaring fire, comfy sofas and chairs, rustic decor and top class pub food.  Definitely on our preferred list now and I really hope the new guys can maintain the standard.  

Not a million miles from you Mike, so may be worth a try...

http://www.castlehurst.co.uk

• Like 1

Afternoon (just past the noon time here)... -16C and sunny/clear "again" heading for bloody cold -26 tonight.

Both kids over for lunch and to hang out, then we're off for a ncie dinner somewhere.

Hopeing to get some modelling in for a couple of hours too - have a good remainder of the day/weekend all ERs

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

34064 'Fighter Command' was so fitted.

Giesl ejector, that is.

Yes, in BR days - Wells had one fitted in preservation, apparently to great success.  She is an alleged 'good 'un' anyway, but went even better with the ejector - the idea is to get the same draught as a conventional nozzle but with less exhaust steam back pressure to the pistons, therefore more power.  Sort of a straight through exhaust for steam locomotives!

Had a good day at Groudle, washed out the steamplex boiler, took ages, there was a lot of scale in the bottom of the water space, and the boiler doesn't have big doors to get it out.  Still it's done now, all ready for the boiler inspector in a week or two.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hold on a sec, isn't Station Cat Mike's daughter?…..:-)

Yes - however she did play rugby while at Uni and subsequently, for a while, for Reading Ladies (strange name for a bunch of rugby thugs :O )  I bellieve her behaviour on the rugby field could best, and politely, be described as 'positive'.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

A colleague of my father's once described the difference between rugby and association football "rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen, and football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans"

Guess the principle still fits with ladies.

• Like 4

Yes - however she did play rugby while at Uni and subsequently, for a while, for Reading Ladies (strange name for a bunch of rugby thugs :O )  I bellieve her behaviour on the rugby field could best, and politely, be described as 'positive'.

AKA Don't mess with Dr Station Cat  :jester:

Hold on a sec, isn't Station Cat Mike's daughter?…..:-)

Which of us are you trying to insult? :blum:

AKA Don't mess with Dr Station Cat  :jester:

:sungum:  Naw I'm a pussycat really

Station Cat,

Just out of interest, which side did you pack down?

Bill

Either. I'd like to say owing to a multitude of talents but more a case of being equally bad both sides.

• RMweb Gold

I used to wear gloves sometimes. Makes it easier to hold your opposing prop within kicking range

I used to play Hooker at School rugby you sound like the sort of prop I would have been glad to be on my side.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Played tight head and loose head prop in RU and RL at uni. Flanker for my club..

RL was fun and I was offered a trial to play professionally but chickened out when I met the Leeds team..

• Like 1

Some of you ERs will be getting up soon, but just thought I'd say "good night" - had a really nice damned near authentic fish-and-chip (cod too!!) dinner at a local restaurant tonight - YUM

Family went out, and as I've always told the kids, a "good indication" is when they list malt vinegar as being served - most places over here look at you sideways if/when you ask for it :)

Sleep well everyone

• Like 2

Morning All,

Although I missed the games yesterday, I did watch the matches on Saturday. In both, the expression "no contest" came to mind.

I heard a different version of the Oscar Wilde quote cited by Colin: "Rugby: a game watched by gentlemen and played by hooligans; Football: a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans" - something that was very true in the 70s and 80s. Although, watching the matches, I did note how well behaved and disciplined the players were, despite the physicality of the game. Indeed, one could certainly claim that the Rugby Players were gentlemen compared with the prima-donna hooligans of football.

I managed to get some design work done, yesterday, on CAMDEN LOCK despite a splitting headache - probably a side effect of the horse pills the vet gave me. Fortunately, I have a repeat visit to the GP this week. I may end up going through the pharmacopeia before finding something I tolerate...

A colleague of my father's once described the difference between rugby and association football "rugby is a game for hooligans played by gentlemen, and football is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans"

Guess the principle still fits with ladies.

Colin is older than I suspected.....Lloyd George knew my father indeed (see Flavio's post).

Have a quiet night, Ian.  Just woken by a SnowPlow.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I learned to fly on one wing!

Well I have only one usable arm so my Scouter name was Inyani shotened from a Xosa sentence meaning "the bird who flies with one wing", beginning Inyani.

I don't know what a 3/4 wing would translate as.

• Like 1