Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning, happy secret birthday Robert!

Once again thanks for the good wishes, but they're not working.....manflu has been upgraded to the real thing, I feel awful.  Got a really bad chest infection now, so it's consultation with the doctor's this morning, hopefully by telephone only as I don't want to take this in to the surgery.  Couldn't be a worse week from the work point of view, the trouble here with all teams being so small I don't have an understudy - I'll have to work by remote control!  Our new Sergeant is about to find out how busy I am, as she's going to have to pick up the pieces.

Don, the N2 0-6-2 tank thing is beacuse they were LNER locos, although Hornby painted them in any livery that took their fancy - including Southern!  So there is no appropriate stock.....

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

:boast: Venturing out under a bonnet today.............

.......but not wearing the Scot`s favourite headware! :jester:

The pup-mobile has all the requirements for infernal-combustion; diesel and air, but evidently they shouldn`t come pre-mixed! :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Robert.

Drizzle here and it is likely to continue until late morning.

Debs. Are you looking for a fuel leak or have you found it and are fixing it? Hope it gets sorted.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Damp start & 8oC. Some sunny periods coupled with heavy blustery showers forecast.

Many happy returns Robert. We're celebrating a birthday later as Abbie is 15 today so we're off to our daughter's house after school for a change. What with that and Joe's birthday coming up on Friday it's turning out to be an expensive week especially as I've won a loco, some coaches and wagons on eBay. (the loco was a particular bargain though)

Chris is off to the hairdresser shortly so that means I'll have some peace & quiet  be left to my own devices for about 3 hours. (My hair only takes about 3 minutes to be cut!)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2

Happy birthday to those members and their extended progeny!

As one or two commentators know, my haircut lasts quite a while due to the requirements of the search.

Huge meeting this evening to discuss a greedy farmer and slimy property developing company's plan to dump 450 houses in our little parish, we only have 256 houses in total now! It has been very time consuming preparing for today and I don't think it will end here but why allow their greed to destroy communities just so they can make a financial killing?

I live in hope that I will one day have a model railway.

• RMweb Premium

Lights went out at midnight again and on again at five. I don't recall being told about this and neither do my neighbours, typical Basildon District Council. There must have been a notice, probably on a notice board at the back of the council offices where few people go. 

Debs. Are you looking for a fuel leak or have you found it and are fixing it?

It`s a Peugeot DW8 L4: symptoms seem to indicate air getting into the leak-off pipe (injector-spill) overnight, causing morning-start recalcitrance (hyper-extended crankiness), it will however, start-up quickly if manually-primed.......although once started it continues to run/perform perfectly and will restart easily (without priming) throughout the day.

Glow plugs/relays are fine and function as per spec.

Thought it prudent to replace leak-off piping and fit a new diesel filter (and it`s housing 0-ring) as they`re the cheapest and easiest 'possibles' on the driveway.........another (implied) factor may well be a non-return valve sticking in the flow or return supply circuit.

I have two eager Collies becoming increasingly worried about the non-appearance of our usual morning walkies. :O

Happy birthday, Robert! And to Bob's grandchildren! And get well wishes to the poorly ER members.

Sunny with cloud around here.

.....................Huge meeting this evening to discuss a greedy farmer and slimy property developing company's plan to dump 450 houses in our little parish, we only have 256 houses in total now! It has been very time consuming preparing for today and I don't think it will end here but why allow their greed to destroy communities just so they can make a financial killing?.............................

It sounds like you have a fight on your hands! Good luck with that!

No doubt the campaigners will have thought of this, but if the building of the houses is inevitable, then try insisting that the community is provided with one or all of the following at the contractor's expense:- shop, school, pub, village hall, health centre or leisure centre. Perhaps you already have most of these and understandably have no desire to have your surroundings marred by further building.

Don't work too hard, everyone!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Lights went out at midnight again and on again at five. I don't recall being told about this and neither do my neighbours, typical Basildon District Council. There must have been a notice, probably on a notice board at the back of the council offices where few people go. 

Phil,

Looking at the Brentwood Gazette, Brentwood streets are due to be blacked out from midnight to 5am from next month, as part of the County Councils plan to save money. Like you, we have had no communication from the Council, but the local rags have been covering the issue for a mumber of weeks.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I think the notice about our change of street-lighting appeared as an article in the Yellow Advertiser or some other free "newspaper".

Debs. The engine in my car is a Ford product developed with either Citroen or Peugeot (or both, don't really know!). Last year visible fumes started appearing from the engine. It was due to a rubber hose perishing in the excess fuel vapour return (or something like that).

I would have had little success of replacing it anyway as the Freelander 2 engine seems to have very few things visible without removing lots of plastic shields. The dealer said they hadn't ever replaced one of those pipes before. Interestingly for those people who reply to any query "Google is your friend" and don't bother to give a link, I did Google the fault on the car. The consistent reply to the symptoms was that it was the auxiliary heater needing some adjustment. It would have required a lot of adjustment as my car doesn't have one!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

..................as they`re the cheapest and easiest 'possibles' on the driveway.........

Debs,

Why have you not rushed this poor car into your workshop (which we all know rivals Swindon/Doncaster/Crewe/Eastleigh) and beat it with a hammer?

If that doesn't work, you'll know it is an electrical problem.

It's a  grey day here, but the overcast is fairly high.

I was a bit worried about NHN's comment about his new Sergeant having to pick up the pieces.  I thought Neil's leg might have fallen off!

The only drama here is the shower leaking.  I think I've fixed it, but escaping water running down the light in the hallway, did make for some funny buzzing noises.  although one of the few advantages of a house with modern wiring is the ability to isolate the various circuits in the house.................besides it saves on the power :O .

• Like 1

Morning All,

Happy birthday to all those having the misfortune to celebrate another year of aging (but consider the alternative...)

A "tea-break troll" turned up this interesting illustrated piece http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2014/feb/24/scottish-model-railway-exhibition-in-pictures - and for once without a hint of a sneer (although they may have gotten one or two captions wrong [i don't know - it's not GWR or LU])

I remain "gob-smacked" over the incompetence and venality of many English councils: paying "top" (hem-hem) executives eye-wateringly high salaries, whilst presiding over a litany of incompetence and budget cuts (I wonder how many hours of street lighting would a single council executive's pay-packet buy?).

CAMDEN LOCK proceeds apace and I plan to start cutting plastic this weekend. Will Post Pics

Enjoy this bright, sunny, but bitterly cold day (at least that's the weather in this part of CH)

iD

• Like 4

Getting started this morning is a little difficult. Thus far, not in strict order:

• Beverage (chocolate - 'cos I can't have tea or coffee)
  • Couple of phone calls to do with the heating at work. Ongoing problem.
  • Dogs breakfast one, two and three. That's two dogs, three breakfasts each, last of which was a bit of mine.
  • Stroked dogs
  • Answered emails
  • On here
  • My breakfast
  • Made second beverage
  • And all this before I can face starting up with Excel again.
Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think the notice about our change of street-lighting appeared as an article in the Yellow Advertiser or some other free "newspaper".

Tony

That explains it, you have to look very carefully to find the news item among the ads.

• RMweb Gold

That explains it, you have to look very carefully to find the news item among the ads.

Though I suppose I should be grateful to live in a place where not a lot happens!

Pete's former town, Shenfield, was in the newspaper again this week. The chap (aka The Wolf of Shenfield) who got shot in the station car park ended up in hospital on his first day back at work. One of his "colleagues" made a "BANG" noise just behind him and he fell and opened the wound (source Daily Telegraph).

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Robert. Congratulations on completing another trip around the sun.

All quiet in the boring borough. Every time I get 10 minutes to put down a few bricks in the path it bl**dy starts to rain again. Work is its usual. <insert profanity> Looks like I'm stuck with another no win project. I'm surprised they just don't supply me with a cloak and scythe.

• RMweb Gold

Though I suppose I should be grateful to live in a place where not a lot happens!

Pete's former town, Shenfield, was in the newspaper again this week. The chap (aka The Wolf of Shenfield) who got shot in the station car park ended up in hospital on his first day back at work. One of his "colleagues" made a "BANG" noise just behind him and he fell and opened the wound (source Daily Telegraph).

Good old British sense of humour, eh? You can't beat it!

Re our fight against dumping houses on us:

There are a number of planning policies that should prevent this wanton destruction of wood, leisure and farmland but the proposers seem to think their case trumps them. They are keen to get their application in before the latest area planning document concludes its adoption as it also states their proposal is unsuitable. Their Master-plan indicates no facilities are included and we only have a shop and an independent primary school here.

You would think all that would make us feel safe - it would but for the past history of our Local Planning Authority who initially decided a previous application for 1,000 houses on one site around 2 miles away was wrong and another for 2,500 on a further site 3 miles away was wrong but then, just as the developers launched an appeal, backtracked and said everything was OK.

Little wonder I have no faith in our local government!

Edited by Gruffalo

It`s a Peugeot DW8 L4: symptoms seem to indicate air getting into the leak-off pipe (injector-spill) overnight, causing morning-start recalcitrance (hyper-extended crankiness), it will however, start-up quickly if manually-primed.......although once started it continues to run/perform perfectly and will restart easily (without priming) throughout the day.

Glow plugs/relays are fine and function as per spec.

Thought it prudent to replace leak-off piping and fit a new diesel filter (and it`s housing 0-ring) as they`re the cheapest and easiest 'possibles' on the driveway.........another (implied) factor may well be a non-return valve sticking in the flow or return supply circuit.

I have two eager Collies becoming increasingly worried about the non-appearance of our usual morning walkies. :O

Hi Debs,

I spent four years working in a garage for my sins before deciding that lying on damp concrete and having permanently blackened hands wasn't for me.  One of the main things I learned was that vehicle problems are divided between 50% Electrical & 50% Fuel supply................oh, and that 90% of Fuel supply problems are Electrical.................................. :senile: