The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

simply providing content isn't giving back, these things cost something to run!

I have to disagree with that Ian. If there was no content then no-one would look at the forum, so no point in adverts! I accept that there are many who provide more valuable content than my drivel, but they get no remuneration for their input.

Ed

Dull here - not the promised sun at all.

Last night dinner was interrupted as we had to get son's fiancées old dog to the emergency vet, so Coventry, Leicester, Coventry, home was the order of the evening.

Today it's clearing up prior to Sandy's aunt joining us for lunch tomorrow - slow roast garlic'd lamb.

And just received the new book - Robin Jones' GWR Pannier Tanks, so that's the clearing up on hold. That, and waiting for SNG to pass the cam at Dawlish. Just appeared on the diagram

http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18 if you need the link

• Like 1

And from the Pannier Tanks book a bit of family history. Page 126 shows the now preserved 1501 at the now closed Keresley Pit (Coventry). Sandy's grandfather was a miner there, and Son now works at a manufacturing plant on the site. They make heavy construction machinery, and test it. They found out that where they dropped heavy loads was right over the main (capped) shaft of the site. Oops!

• RMweb Premium

Dull here - not the promised sun at all.

Last night dinner was interrupted as we had to get son's fiancées old dog to the emergency vet, so Coventry, Leicester, Coventry, home was the order of the evening.

Today it's clearing up prior to Sandy's aunt joining us for lunch tomorrow - slow roast garlic'd lamb.

And just received the new book - Robin Jones' GWR Pannier Tanks, so that's the clearing up on hold. That, and waiting for SNG to pass the cam at Dawlish. Just appeared on the diagram

http://www.dawlishbeach.com/live/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=18 if you need the link

Thanks, John.  Managed to see SNG, timed with the aid of realtimetrains.

[1Z32 0751 Guildford to Kingswear (For Dartmouth) West Coast Railway Company service]

Great to see SNG again after it's appearance at Didcot's Once in a Blue Moon.

Polly

I may be some time - watching trains on the Dawlish cam. :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

• Like 3

Weather beautiful here (and for the next 5 days up to 70f). Watched Tottenham vs Fulham LIVE and in HD whilst fixing breakfast - the weather looked good in London too.

Wife and daughter performing mass baking today for visit to Mil's tomorrow (where a leg of lamb promised).

Nothing else to report not even usual vapid drivel...

Best, Pete.

• Like 5

The dining room paint saga has almost run full circle ;)

And if I was anything at all to do with a certain place of religion in Debs' neck of the woods a certain slimming class would be looking for a new venue on a long term basis.  I'm not a particularly religious sort of person but i do try to respect those of the various branches of the Christian faith as long as they follow it in a non-hypocritical manner and I'm sorry but that notice is downright disgusting and way beyond crass or stupid.  Rant mode disengaged.

The first (half) sentence is a delight!!!!!

I agree totally with the last point - man, it’s a Church!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Who has pinched the sun?

GDB polished his s*dd$ng barbeque the other day - the blame is clear to all  :nono:  :jester:

(But looking on the bright side at least it wasn't baking hot sun out there as I thrashed and crashed through most much of the back garden undergrowth with the strimmer an hour or two back - so every cloud really does have a silver lining and Mrs Stationmaster strongly affirms that the garden needs the rain we are promised for tomorrow.

Afternoon All,

It is another typical April day here today - sunny, bright, showery, blustery!

I haven't got a lot done today.  I spent some time soldering in the cellar, and reattached the last of the bathroom tiles.

All good fun really!

• Like 1

Hi Guys, just back from a beautiful walk in the countryside, only ruined by an errant ball that wouldn't go in the hole….

Not sure if I have told you this one re coincidences.  When I was MD of an electronics company, we had a young, attractive girl start as a temp in our sales office.  Naturally curious, I asked my Sales Director what her name was and her unusual surname struck a chord with me.  Once I got home that evening, I told my wife and she asked for some more details regarding this leggy blonde.  Turns out they were related and we had never met.  The next morning I walked into the sales office and kissed her on the side of the cheek and before she could belt me, I said "Hi Juliet, lovely to meet you, I'm your uncle"!

Once she and the rest of the office got over the shock, we had a chuckle about the whole thing...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A busy week with the run of the play and preparations for the arrival of the family this afternoon. William is nearly four and Alice is 18 months so we shall be busier still, no doubt!

Last night's performance had some interesting moments, including the elderly Mrs. Hardcastle who, in a scene where she expresses her anger by saying, "My rage chokes me!" had a blank moment and said, "My rage wets me!"

Much smirking and stifled giggles all round followed by merciless joshing in the bar!

Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!

Thank goodness it wasn't 'my age wets me' that would have been uncontrollable laughter from this quarter!

I'm glad it all went all ok for you.

My brother, sister in law and thheir two sons have come and gone.

Before they arrived yesterday afternoon, I put out a small eater egg trail (4 0 eggs)in the garden for the little lads to follow.

They duly went out but were only able to find 21:  However, I did find Elsa also looking eagerly around the garden, so I can put money on where the 19 missing eggs went!  

(I am now on the lookout for silver foil wrapped dog doo doo).

A bit of a cool start to the day here, but having decided against gardening this afternoon, the sun Has made a belated appearance.

Still on light duties because of the eye, and I see the consultant on Tuesday for a follow up.

What is amazing is that after a week of no progress, I suddenly started to regain my vision yesterday.

So it was a very Good Friday for me.

• Like 6

Afternoon all,   well today went mostly successful,  only  two trucks didnt turn up, not that they were critical to todays exercise..

Then found an offer in my mail box for a 1:24 scale Japanese D51  one of these part work jobbies....114USD / Month for 12 months!  But the thing is nearly three foot long.. (and comes with a rolling road) . So it is a lot of loco. Even if it is Narrow gauge.

http://d51.model-space.com/?utm_source=railiroad&utm_medium=pna&utm_campaign=buildd51

Looks very nice. 

Picture of todays task, made a bit easier as the crane provider  (Another   'ertfordshire boy) sent a 275tonne crane instead of the 160 tonne ordered.

Now a bit of a quite evening before tomorrows tasks.

Be good, 

Trev.

post-4282-0-03901200-1397924892.jpg

• Like 6

12 here, cloudy  headed for 18 - there's no snow any more - YAY! Expecting 21 tomorrow!

Well, against my better judgement I went this morning to one of the few swap-meets they have here, and sure enough it was pretty much a waste of time, unless you model HO of course.

I DID see two items that struck me however;

1) A Hornby R223 Pullman, new but in a rather neglected (being hauled around I'm sure from swap-meet to swap-meet for ages) semi-crushed box, and they STILL wanted $35 for it - talk about cheek :)

2) A Bassett-Lowke O-gauge Limited Edition BR Green Royal Scot, new in box, never run - it is missing the manual, but everything else is there including the unopened pack of lamps and headboards! I was tempted simply as I'm sure it's worth more than the guy wants, and he's had it a year already...

post-20244-0-72226600-1397928930.jpg

Wonder what it's worth?

Now off to start preparing the Easter dinner - I'm in charge of the main course and we're having Pheasant (substituting chicken, as Pheasant is a b*tch to find here) Casserole from a cook book the Mrs just received "Downtown Abbey Recipes"... ah well ;)

Goind to prep it in advance today as the choir is singing at 9 and 11 tomorrow and if I start after that we won't eat until who-knows-when, and the family get somewhat testy when I pull that!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And here watching and listening to the Easter service from King's College,Cambridge.Wonderful and sublime.If only I could sing like that.Tune in ......or get it on I player ....everyone ! Now the Hallelujah chorus is on,

Edited by Ian Hargrave

And here watching and listening to the Easter service from King's College,Cambridge.Wonderful and sublime.If only I could sing like that.Tune in ......or get it on I player ....everyone ! Now the Hallelujah chorus is on,

Their performance of Allegri`s Miserere mei, Deus had me stunned into silence! :yes:

• RMweb Gold
Their performance of Allegri`s Miserere mei, Deus had me stunned into silence! :yes:[/quote

A beautiful choir that makes an ever lovely ,radiantly fresh sound,in the most beautiful place imaginable. Several years ago went to a performance of Monteverdi's Vespers on a glorious summer evening there...I remember the setting sun setting the stained glass windows ablaze and the glory of the music rising and echoing round the chapel....and those voices. Then to walk out into the quadrangle into the fading light is something that will stay with me forever. We had a reception before the performance and met Stephen Cleobury which was interesting.

Do not forget Messiah from The Foundling Hospital tonight on BBC 2 if ,like me ,you are Handel freak. If anybody is around St.Peter's Church in Burton on May 10 we have a performance of "Samson" complete with orchestra & soloists

• Like 2