The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

GDB polished his s*dd$ng barbeque the other day - the blame is clear to all  :nono:  :jester:

(But looking on the bright side at least it wasn't baking hot sun out there as I thrashed and crashed through most much of the back garden undergrowth with the strimmer an hour or two back - so every cloud really does have a silver lining and Mrs Stationmaster strongly affirms that the garden needs the rain we are promised for tomorrow.

Mrs.Stationmaster is correct...we do. We do,because it will save me the irksome task of having to water the lawn after the Spring granular feed by Green Thumb......an organisation I heartily recommend. Today I have been digging out shed loads of Japanese anemones...the sneakiest and most persistent of plants,with a rooting system designed by Old Nick.A blank canvas....now,what to plant in their stead ?
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That is not a rant. As Brits we live in a society where religious beliefs are free to all, and worship is "allowed" in virtually any manner that meets the law of the land. Easter is the highpoint of the Christian year, and the note is utterly offensive. For the avoidance of doubt, I am an atheist - but believe in religious (and other) freedoms of this sort, because they make other lives better.

I'm an atheist too, but have respect for any religion as Ian says, practiced within the law of the land - I admire those who follow a faith with commitment (not just when it suits), it's just not my thing.  That notice is just so symptomatic of those who only follow when it suits, and therefore fail my test!

A nice sunny day here but with a cutting wind earlier, but the late afternoon became very nice.  Lunch out with friends (Trackshack John & Anne) then an afternoon in the garage and garden, working on several projects - Mrs H painted the fences, and herself it would seem......

• RMweb Gold

We had an extended family lunch that went well. Also extended in the various arrival times. Everyone was here for the main course though! Two nephews were late as the elder one had been working late in A&E last night and then had a difficult journey home. As he was driving over he thought some sleep first would be a good idea. 

Robbie was very well behaved and didn't cause any upsets with 20 month old niece who added Robbie, dog and woof to her vocabulary today.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, John.  Managed to see SNG, timed with the aid of realtimetrains.

[1Z32 0751 Guildford to Kingswear (For Dartmouth) West Coast Railway Company service]

Great to see SNG again after it's appearance at Didcot's Once in a Blue Moon.

Polly

I may be some time - watching trains on the Dawlish cam. :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Just an update :yes: :yes: :yes:

Saw the return - SNG/the train had been turned so made good viewing in both directions.  Caught up with it this evening on Rewind - handy device that.  :D

Polly

• Like 2

Their performance of Allegri`s Miserere mei, Deus had me stunned into silence! :yes:

A beautiful choir that makes an ever lovely ,radiantly fresh sound,in the most beautiful place imaginable.

I worked in Cambridge University 1978-82. Part of my job each morning was to bring the department's computer output from the computing service. On the way, I'd walk past King's Chapel. Sometimes, the organist and/or some of the choir would be practising, and I would go in, sit and listen for a few minutes - the only person there! (The contrast between the historic setting and my box of computer output and tapes did sometimes register, too.)
  • Like 8

What a good day - all day sunshine with a beautiful walk round Ennerdale Lake.  It was just warm enough for shirtsleeves most of the way, and we had excellent views.  Then a nice family meal with lots of fun and laughter.  A pity all days arent this good.

• Like 4

The sun never really appeared here in Derby until tea time. With my wife out for the day I was on daddy duty today. I took my little girl to Markeaton Park to view the Famous Trains display (see the Permenent Model Railway thread for comments on this). We then rode the narrow gauge railway. This is the first time I have done this so more new track to travel over. Although the railway is diesel hauled - the steam engine having long since departed - the loco is based on a Baby Deltic so at least looks the part.

Later in the day we ventured to Masson Mill at Cromford. This Easter there is a big sale on, complete with 20% off all Hornby stock. I am now a proud owner of a Pullman bar carriage. This was already reduced to £38 and then had another 20% off. I am quite happy with that!

• Like 5

How wonderful to hear of the uplifting experience had by Ian Hargrave and Debs. I am a lifelong classical fan and Wagnerite but their posts brought to mind two versions of the Verdi Requiem that I was lucky enough to attend, one at St. Paul's (with Domingo, Raimondi and Bumbry!), the other at Truro cathedral. Both were incredibly uplifting experiences, almost certainly enhanced by the surroundings and the fantastic accoustics in such places. Thank you for re-awakening that memory. Time for the bed-time nip, hope you all have a great rest of the Easter weekend. Remember - the further you roll your egg, the longer it will be before you get to eat it!!

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Some photos from yesterday on the Llangollen Railway.

First off, a trainful of ballast presumably ready for the next bit of work on the extension which is in progress at the Corwen end.  Unfortunately, to get the photos, I had to get under the wagons to keep out of the sun so lost the height of the ballast.

post-14049-0-83532200-1397944959.jpg

post-14049-0-79089600-1397944756.jpg

post-14049-0-84904400-1397943579.jpg

post-14049-0-28016900-1397943652.jpg

[The Hornby model is DB 992185]

post-14049-0-37833400-1397943614.jpg

post-14049-0-54627100-1397943495.jpg

The amount of ballast on the ground at the base of the wagons and a Ruston Bacyrus on site indicate the load coming in by lorry.  Shame we missed the action.

And from the other side - once I had recovered from disturbing a load of flies basking in the sun on top of a wall I was  going to use as an arm rest.

post-14049-0-56040900-1397944808.jpg

And the loco we went on

post-14049-0-33847900-1397945664.jpg

The 1510 from Llangollen: 4MT 2-6-4T 80072

Polly

• Like 7

Morin' All,

A bright and very sunny moring today, blue sky as far as the eye can see...

Another week behind me... totally different from the last... was actually bored at work last night and not running around like a headless chicken!!

Anyway... have a great Easter Sunday everyone no matter what the weather does and what you do.

Motters

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Actually had a brief shower here last night, first rain in three weeks, and a bit more overnight by the look of things. This should just freshen plants and grass up a bit after a lot of sun, and persistent breeze in recent days. A pity for Easter picnics, though.

This weekend will be very busy on the Kent & East Sussex Railway, no doubt, and when we lived there I often dropped by for a ride - it was a sort of seasonal opener. Here the preserved lines are far less popular, not likely to be running at all. Shame. 

Hope your Easter Day goes well.

Our run of "She Stoops To Conquer" ended on a high with a really responsive audience, readier to laugh than any of the other seven! Good party afterwards too.

Classic misquoted line:

"It is a good natured creature at bottom."

became:

"It is a good natured bottom at heart!"

A busy few days here, entertaining the family.

Happy Easter!

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Missed yesterday due to cricket...a great first game of the season with the winning run scored in the penultimate over taking the batsman to his hundred. Now sun/wind burnt..Scarborough can be so bracing!!

More cricket today so missing out on the Bogglers barbeque..

Have a restful Easter Day.

Baz

• Like 7

Quite a heavy downpour in Norf Norfolk around 7.30am, lasting for about 20 minutes. Looking at the cloud direction and putting my Geography O Level to use for the first time in 30 years, I reckon the rain was heading more or less for Benfleet and should be with you shortly, Tony.

Morning all, 

and happy Easter.  Not got much planned for this morning though. Off to work around lunch time so no lunch at the pool bar for me today.  Shouldnt take to long though but a couple of hours stood out in 30 + degrees is pretty tiring. 

Still never mind eh? 

Whatever you're up to, try and enjoy, 

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, grey everywhere will shortly be raining I think but inside the house is tidier and I completed my job application as well so yesterday felt like a good day. Today is/was garden day so we will see what develops. Have a happy Easter sunday

• Like 1