Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Woken by the rain on the velux in the bedroom this morning.

That made me smile. Having converted the loft space in our Leigh bungalow years ago, it was like trying to sleep with someone shaking a tin full of nails every time it rained heavily!

• RMweb Gold

It started raining in West Cumbria just as I got to work.  After the glorious weekend with 20 degrees temperature yesterday, I am rather pleased that the rain waited until a work day.  Mrs G wont be so pleased as she had just put the washing out to dry when I left!

I agree with Oldddudders about the teaching.  Who really remembers those other then the inspirational ones after a few years?

I can well remember the collection of oddities obviously driven insane by the kids last seen by me 49 years ago. There was very little inspiration rather some very warped personalities. this was at a grammer school with pretensions, boarders, 800 year history and all that.

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if Conway Castle used to have a railway track running through/next to it?

Thanks for any help.

I don't think it was through the main bit of the castle but certainly through some of the walls associated. The was a good photo with Martin Waters article on the station in MRN (or possible YMR  the name changed around then) back around 1980. It showed the train running through an archway.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  The office manager of the Marie Celeste here.....hellohellohellohello......

Ok, so it's quiet at work!  3 out of 10 in, and two of those about to go out to beast see young people on probation, leaving.....you guessed it!

Still a bit creaky after Sunday's work at Groudle, it was rather too busy for my hip's well being so sitting here in a quiet office isn't actually too bad.  I usually hate it quiet, I like the place to be buzzing, but I am prepared to make an exception today.

64 days to go.

• RMweb Premium

Drivers : we all know we drive better than the others, but it's sickening when the road is open and inviting - and the other chaps have bigger engines! After all, in this video we only have 3 litres, while the others have 4.5. or 5! http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/11/brian-redman/

Not forgetting the link to the Pirelli Calender. :O  :secret:

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there are still lots of inspiring teachers about even with the formal nature of lesson planning /exam syllabus / Govean chanting.

Aditi works in inspection and can still come home and tell me about some wonderful lesson she has observed.

• Like 2

I don't think it was through the main bit of the castle but certainly through some of the walls associated. The was a good photo with Martin Waters article on the station in MRN (or possible YMR  the name changed around then) back around 1980. It showed the train running through an archway.

Don

IIRC the style of the railway structures were made to resemble the castle. They went by, not through.

Good morning all, although not too good here - depressed Westie lying in the conservatory staring at a wet lawn! Ian, must say not many of us can drive as well as Mr B. Redman! Will you stay awake for the full vingt-quatre heures ? I agree with the teaching comments - my sister retired as headmistress of a junior school as soon as she could because she couldn't remember when she last taught a child, spending all her time on admin. and Ofsted issues. Loved your aerial shot of Conwy Castle. Visited a couple of times while at the Ffestiniog and must say, close examination of your pic. would suggest, as I felt at the time, that the portion that the railway passes through appears to be a more recent addition built in keeping with the original. Probably on the insistence of whatever English (oops, Welsh!) Heritage were called at the time. Fabulous place to watch steam passing from memory.

Kind regards,

Jock67B.

Coombes Barton beat me to it as I wrote the post!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That made me smile. Having converted the loft space in our Leigh bungalow years ago, it was like trying to sleep with someone shaking a tin full of nails every time it rained heavily!

Yes indeed. We had a couple of Veluxes in the loft conversion in our house in Kent. Since the loft housed my model railway, plus a sort of office/den, no-one lost any sleep when it rained. But when we moved here, and wished to make the upstairs habitable, Deb decided 3 dormers were the way to go, despite many such conversions hereabouts going the Velux route. Since the mayor used to visit his girlfriend in this house, decades ago, his approval to the design was helpful! We did opt for a Velux on what will eventually be the upstairs loo, one of three small windows on that side of the house.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Somewhat damp and dreary but allegedly going to improve a tad - before the rain returns.  Toady I'm told we're visiting Tesco and I have said that I (and the good Doctor) will be retiring to 'the room' for further checking/sprucing up of the module ready for the SWAG weekend event - earlier thoughts of scenically changing the season had receded and it is not only still 'winter' but it has had some of the 'snow' spruced up with a few dabs of white weathering powder;  I really can't think why I have made that decision :scratchhead:

Have a good day one & all with special commiserations for those returning to the daily grind of paid labour.

The bedroom that I sleep in, usually, I snore rather loudly - is 20 foot square with a cathedral ceiling it also has six rather large windows. During the many electrical storms I feel like the creature in Frankenstein - after being wound up through the roof.

Alternatively during Hurricanes it is like being in a Crow’s Nest. Such times I descend to the basement......

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if Conway Castle used to have a railway track running through/next to it?

Thanks for any help.

There was never a railway going through the castle itself.  It still does have the North Wales main line running directly to one side of it.  The line going west comes out of the Conwy river Tubular bridge then runs immediately to the south of the Castle.  You can see the trains passing by directly below from some of the castle viewpoints.  Conwy station is then a further 100 metres or so to the west of the castle.  It was closed back in the 1960s (I think), then re-opened in the 1980s.  The line does pass through the Conwy town walls between the castle and the station - this is the archway described in one of the other replies above.

Edited by Simon G

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  The office manager of the Marie Celeste here.....hellohellohellohello...... 

I always suspected you are in cahoots with the people of Atlantis!

Morning all (sort of). Still fighting off that cold. However, I won't let that stop me from riding downtown to meet my mum and dad who are staying in Leipzig currently. Chinese dinner tonight, where I suppose the spices will burn off whatever bug I caught me.

• RMweb Gold

Trains don't pass through the walls of our local  castle. Though as the castle is located in the Olympian designated South Essex mountain range I suppose the railway was easier to build along the coast.

• Like 1

One of the interesting things about being employed (albeit on a part time basis) with the local Police Dept. is the opportunity to meet some of the characters there - and the latest technology employed in the squad cars. The cars are rather different depending on the needs of the Dept. Traffic Dept’s are aimed at the operations of the officers concerned with more lights than you’ve ever seen on a car in the UK, including roof lights that flip up vertically in order that they can be seen (just in case they are not bright enough as is) over traffic lines etc. Lights in the mirrors, under the front and rear airdams plus another series at the base of the windscreen.

The cars have other facilities as I discovered.

My Supervisor is a charming gent by the name of Jerry. As I was walking down the high street the other day I happened to glance sideways to see his squad car just as he was passing me so I waved at him. By the time that Jerry reacted he was ten yards down the street so he startled everyone around by booming: “GOOD MORNING, PETE” over the very loud PA system that he has equipped......

By the way I’m pleased to report that “our” Dept has reverted to the very cool "Broderick Crawford” livery of Black with White doors.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

I was leaving the other cars to a later date. Traffic also has two stealth cars - all over black with black Police lettering that can only be read from certain angles. They also have extremely low profile lights, maybe half inch high on the roofs - but high intensity LEDs, together with a full panoply hidden behind the grill, under the airdams front and rear. In the front of the mirrors and base of rear screen. None of the lights can be seen until switched on  (well they can be if you know where they are).

All cars have cameras that turn on when the lights are on. All cars have full real time computers set where the front passengers would be. These are used, amongst other things, to check cars registration, insurance and taxes and probable drivers (and prior convictions) before the officer sets foot out of the cars.

If you ever get stopped by the Police over here they are very polite but ensure that your hands are visible at all times preferably on the steering wheel. Their trunks are full of further interesting equipment. Should a second car turn up whilst you are stopped it means something serious has been found. The new squad cars are Dodge Chargers with the new Hemi (sic) engine and full R/T suspension, wheels and brakes. Traffic also have two GMC “suburban” type trucks, one in “stealth” the other a mobile command centre. That’s the Traffic Division covered.

Best, Pete.

Thanks for the info. re Conway Castle.

I phrased it badly.

I was aware of the 'line through the arch' but a friend has sent a pic. of the (usual) mounted goods crane next to a pathway inside the Castle.

I wondered if it had a track to service the Castle in the past.

Allo, Allo, Allo.

Not Dead Yet (but just passing through, today).

Pete's description of the traffic department's cop cars is a far cry from what the local cops had when I was a paramedic in VA. Plymouth Furys with the 440 four-barrel cubic inch engine (and "cop shocks" "cop tires" "cop suspension" etc. [to quote Elwood Blues]).  Aaah, the simple days...

At an auction I bought an ex-police unmarked Plymouth Gran Fury in Baby Blue (typical unmarked cop car colours in our neck of the woods at that time), I never had problems with inconsiderate drivers thereafter...

Catch up with ya, later

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3