The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

Despite being an early viewer today (about 0700 BST) this is the first time I've been able to post, really.

Happy Birthday to DD. We believe you to be a little behind some of us in the aging process, and I hope another year doesn't feel any different.

Blustery morning with a few showers but some sun. Walked down to Sheena's for coffee, where I found Jon working on the frontage, which has had the rendering removed, and he is renewing it in more attractive and traditional Sarthois form. The new terrace is laid out and levelled, but has yet to have a surface provided. A large pile of tiles, and another one of bricks for edging, are sitting waiting - all are recycled. But Sheena has ordered new shutters, even if only cheap DIY kits.

Lunch shortly, then some shopping, at last.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 6

Our daughter, who has recently become an Australian citizen, tells us that there you are required by law to vote and risk being fined for failing to do so! One way of dealing with election apathy ......!

Yes, I had heard that one is required by Law to vote in Australia. Paradoxically, it always strikes me as being rather undemocratic. I reserve the right not to do something.

Edited by Steve Williams

• RMweb Gold

Many happy returns DD! 

I didn't stay idle for long as various domestic tasks needed attending to and my assistance was required.  We also paid another visit to the garden centre so a bit more work to do after lunch.

No peace for the wicked it seems.

I seem to have not included birthday greetings to Dd in my earlier posts. Happy Birthday and I hope the overdraft letter wasn't age related. 

Thanks, Tony.

Can't see any reason why it should be.

Not a particularly memorable number this time.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I had heard that one is required by Law to vote in Australia. Paradoxically, it always strikes me as being rather undemocratic. I reserve the right not to do something.

You don't have to vote for anyone .. you are allowed to spoil the ballot paper..

With the low levels of interest in the UK it may be something has to be done to sort out our politics.... especially when people are elected , don't bother to turn up but claim the money anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the low levels of interest in the UK it may be something has to be done to sort out our politics.... especially when people are elected , don't bother to turn up but claim the money anyway.

An electorate that doesn't engage only has itself to blame if the nutters get elected, it's true. But some politicians in all parties have appeared to become less worthy in recent years, leading to cynicism about the whole Westminster process, perhaps. Unless that is put in order to everyone's satisfaction, turning this ship around is gonna be hard.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Tony.

Can't see any reason why it should be.

Not a particularly memorable number this time.

That's good to know. I don't have an overdraft facility but my bank has some other name for whatever going overdrawn by a small amount is. My "available funds" always exceed that which I have in my account for that reason. It wasn't anything I asked or applied for.

I think for Matthew the next significant banking change will be when he ceases to be at university or 25 for some reason. MiL said lots of things change at 80 and 85 with regard to the "free" things you get with bank accounts like travel insurance. 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Happy Birthday DD.

Spent the last couple of hours working, drinking tea and helping my son train spot - he'd gone to Warrington to photograph a Colas 56 on 2 barrier coaches and I tracked it on Carlisle then Preston and finally Warrington signal box panels, I told him which line it was on so he could get into the best position - such is train spotting in 2014 !

Weather lovely at the moment, tomorrow is forecast to be grim - luckily the 'liners are diverted over the fens so I'll be out in the heavy rain with occasional dry spells.

Have a good day all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Many happy returns, DD!

Friday at last and unlike the past two weeks, I'll be at home tonight. Two lessons with good and not so good points to them today, but overall, I feel fairly at ease. The eighters I had in the 3rd block were visibly strained by having been only halfway through their timetable for today, as it was quite warm and yet they were up for computer science lessons in the 4th block.

Jock, Read Gordon S’ “Eastwood Town” layout thread - it’ll give you a good grounding in TemPlot......

Listening to Election Results on the World Service from England. Unfortunately it’s all rather unimportant from the perspective of the USA.

Ian, I’m not planning on becoming a US Citizen; with admin costs currently around $2K to the applicant, frankly I resent the costs.... On the other hand my daughter has triple citizenship!

Best, Pete.

Pete - WOW!!! I can certainly understand your sentiment.

When I went through it the cost was $600 and I thought that was pushing it, definately not sure I'd have been keen at all with it around the $2K mark!

One thing, though I'm sure you're well versed in these matters, as I'm married to a US citizen, part of the desire to become a citizen myself was as a result of our financial adviser explaining/reminding us (since we are getting older and old enough to start thinking about these things) that as a non-US citizen, if either of us died the US govt. get involved in ANY and ALL processing of your estate rather than it being a simple deal related to wills etc. That pretty much pushed me over the edge, and the fact I wanted to be able to vote as I was totally pissed off when GWB won a second time!!! I wanted at least to have my one vote say in what bozo was pissing me off :jester:

• Like 4

Our daughter, who has recently become an Australian citizen, tells us that there you are required by law to vote and risk being fined for failing to do so! One way of dealing with election apathy ......!

Interesting - I've always upheld that not voting is as much a vote as voting, and should be your RIGHT as well as your responsibility, at least to consider who you choose, otherwise you could end up like some unnamned countries where the winner always gets 100% of the vote - those who might not have voted the "correct" way have accidents on the way to the voting station... shades of Hunger Games :)

If all the candidates are idiots and you disagree with them, there seems little point in being forced to chose the "lesser of all evils" IMHO. Then again, I understand some folks feel not voting = apathy. Just not the way I see it.

Garage painted. 

Kitchen cupboard carcases in place - just got to level them, fix them together and put a chipboard deck on the top. 

Then...."I declare this model room OPEN!"

Happy birthday DD.  

• Like 5

I mention my birthday today not to solicit your greetings (which I take the liberty of assuming might be forthcoming) but to point out the irony in the mail.

Among the coloured birthday card envelopes was a notice from my Bank that they are increasing charges for any use of my overdraft arrangement by 50%.

Whoopee!

In the event I use it, I shall be reminded of my birthday.

Happy Birthday DD...have a great day, always reason to celebrate no matter what age :)

Lovely day here today, 15 and clear after a fresh cool overnight free from any SIGMET as my daughter says (SIGMET = Significant Meteorological Information) - basically we didn't have any wind/rain/snow/sleet/ice, a refreshing change finally :)

We're expecting a beautiful day today up to 24 clear, light breeze, and that will cause CHAOS, see below...

As Pete pointed out today signals the start of the Memorial Day weekend in the US, and here especially there will be a thunderous rush of traffic beating a path north to the "lake cabins" I've been banging on about.

The roads will be a complete nightmare from about 2:30PM on until mid-evening. The entire Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area has a ring-road freeway (think M25!!!) around it, about the same distance out as said M25. Major difference is that about 85% of all the traffic heading out of the area will converge on ONE north-west corner where the I-94 freeway heads north-west "forever". It's a bigger parking lot than the M25, and I grew up in Weybridge and have incurred plenty of M25 wrath...

Fortunately for us, our cabin is 1) only 85 miles/about 1hr. 15 minutes drive in quieter traffic and 2) we NEVER take the stupid choice of leaving with the rest of the planet! :)

We'll have a nice evening in town and head out in the morning, probably taking the country roads, as they also work for us and we can avoid the freeway parking-lot, and we'll not be berserk time we get there!

I'll probably post some today, and hopefully first thing tomorrow, but then I'll likely be offline until Sunday night (we're coming back then and spending Memorial Day at home and with friends in town). No internet at the cabin, so unless I either use the 4G on the phone, or the local coffee shop wifi, I'll be sans access. Probably get the evil-eye from the Mrs ANYWAY if I attempt such a thing ;)

Have a great weekend everyone - ain't life grand :good:

• Like 5

Have a great weekend everyone - ain't life grand :good:

It certainly is - and much better than the alternative. Have a nice weekend (I’d like to fish from your dock)!

I have very good financial advisors and lawyers (I was going to say “unfortunately” purely because they are expensive, too).

Best, Pete.

It certainly is - and much better than the alternative. Have a nice weekend (I’d like to fish from your dock)!

I have very good financial advisors and lawyers (I was going to say “unfortunately” purely because they are expensive, too).

Best, Pete.

Pete - if you're ever up this way, AND it's not frozen over season, you'd be more than welcome, just let me know.

For the record, we generally catch pan fish and some small bass off the dock, but my FiL (died a couple of years ago now at 95) who built the cabin, always managed to catch a slew of very sizeable Walleyes and Northerns - at least that's what he'd tell us when treating us to his cabin stories!!! I've managed a couple of decent Northerns but only if you go out in the boat about 100 yds or more, never off the dock - fishermens tales never vary no matter where in the world you are it seems :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel

<Insert a complete set of Andrews' expletives and descriptions of unsavoury characters here>

Dang it all!!! I just got a text from our son.

Heading off to school this morning (he's counting the days till end-of-term, the kids are VERY restless already he says), he discovered that in the private, LOCKED, SECURE garage for his apartment building, some low-life cut the lock off his bicycle and attempted to steal it. Attempted, in that, he'd not done a spring tune-up yet and the tires were flat, he found it at the far end of the garage, abandoned.

Hell, what ARE folks coming to when you can't even live in what is essentially an up-scale apartment building/complex in a trendy up-market part of town with secured garage parking and some complete arse-wipe "potentially another resident???" decides to steal your sh*i*t! It really winds-my-crank when folks have so little respect for other people :(

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

<Insert a complete set of Andrews' expletives and descriptions of unsavoury characters here>

Dang it all!!! I just got a text from our son.

Heading off to school this morning (he's counting the days till end-of-term, the kids are VERY restless already he says), he discovered that in the private, LOCKED, SECURE garage for his apartment building, some low-life cut the lock off his bicycle and attempted to steal it. Attempted, in that, he'd not done a spring tune-up yet and the tires were flat, he found it at the far end of the garage, abandoned.

Hell, what ARE folks coming to when you can't even live in what is essentially an up-scale apartment building/complex in a trendy up-market part of town with secured garage parking and some complete arse-wipe "potentially another resident???" decides to steal your sh*i*t! It really winds-my-crank when folks have so little respect for other people :(

Should have wired it to the mains. :devil:

• RMweb Gold

Dining room bookcases duly restored to working order, the photos were a great help getting stuff back in the right place.  Why 'the right place' - simples, it means I know where to find a particular book instead of having to relearn where it is!  However there has been some weeding out plus a few minor alterations of position but they shouldn't cause any problems when it some to searching them out.

Now a bit of fun although the compressed pics below might not be clear enough to help even when you click on them to enlarge them?  Can anyone guess which ones might have my name printed in them (and I don't mean in handwriting or with a John Bull printing press ;) ).

post-6859-0-01139300-1400859463_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-21477600-1400859495_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

guess which ones might have my name printed in them (and I don't mean in handwriting or with a John Bull printing press ;) ).

Where are the Thomas the Tank Engine books?