The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

We've just sold a G1 Norfolk & Western J 4-8-4.....  HUGE!

That’s 33 inches long, the “Baby Mudhen” - I mean. Of course the Standard Gauge of that  scale is Gauge 3. I once saw a Max Gray model of “Big Boy” in London in Gauge 3, I believe it was longer than I am tall and very impressive...

That was in the seventies and it was between 1,500 and 2,000 quid at the time and very exquisite - if I had had the spare cash I would have bought it but I remember I had just bought a Gibson Doubleneck guitar ala John McLaughlin at a similar price.

http://blog.playfools.net/files/john-mclaughlin.jpg

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

Evening all,  

Thought I'd add some comments on todays  ramblings....many decades ago we had just moved into a new house  on a new estate  with built in electric storage heaters. These were on some weird rate and only came on at night. So not very effective.  lady comes round doing a survey  for the local electricity  board (SWEB) asking what we thought of them? What did we do as the temperature dropped -  just put another woolly on says I ! . Seemed to not be the answer she was looking for.

Neil that sure is a tiny loco, and  I thought  Rishra at Leighton Buzzard was small.  A very long time ago there was a drawing of  Polar Bear ( I think) in the Narrow Gauge Soc.Mag. I couldn't find it last time I was in the UK as I quite fancy building a 1:24 scale model. 

Lets hope Gordons "old flame" is what he hopes for?  I took a very big chance  when I first went to Canada as Marilyn & I had spoken on the phone and sent each other photos ..... but you can never be 100% sure with internet dating,  I guess I was just very very lucky?  (Mind you she took a very big chance too!)

Now all I've got to do is get the ex to start playing nicely about the house, (anyone had any experience with equity release?)  Find some one who'll take my  0e exhibition layout off my hands  get rid of assorted bits of railway & modelling  bits and pieces  - including a mark 1 Unimat lathe. - then get on with the rest of my life! 

Enjoy whats left of your day, 

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Good Lord, what a tight-fisted bunch of mean bu99ers! I am glad I'm not a guest of this lot.

Visitors to Aditi's parental residence in Nottingham required careful preparation of appropriate clothing. We were there when it was about -15C  one New Year.

FiL wondered why we were laughing. The Midlands News had suggested that even if your house were to be left empty people should leave their heating on set at about 10C. That was about the temperature he thought was pleasant. He wasn't mean though, he was actually a very generous kind person but he was very, very careful with consumables. 

• RMweb Premium

Good evening to all.

Warning - Just sitting out our second thunderstorm - right overhead. Run for cover. :mosking:

Better do our hot chocs in case we get another power cut.  :nono:

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Yes Trev, she is really that small.  I saw a picture of Polar bear at Amberley the other day., next to a normal two foot Bagnall I think - she looked half scale!  They won't sell her back so we're building a new one....

post-10195-0-63175500-1412800250_thumb.jpg

there's a lot more done since this shot.

• Like 11

Well I am now safely ensconced in a very wet Lake District after a rather fraught drive.

The rain is now making so much noise on the roof I have had to crank up the volume on the radio!

Keep smiling,

John

That is why we have lakes in this region!  When I once said this to some visitors who had just arrived in the most appalling weather, they replied - "Don't talk about lakes - we have just driven through most of them to get here!"

Just back home after a well earned week in the Algarve - lovely weather and good food.  Batteries now fully recharged - they were pretty discharged before we went.  I was back into work today - that was a bit of a shock as there was precious little heating and it was rather chilly, especially I was used to 25 degree plus warmth.  With the recent track record, the heating at work will be fixed by about next May.

I haven't had the time to go back through all the ER pages I have missed in my absence, but I am sure that I will catch up in due course!

I think you might be reading more into this lunch than is reality…:-)

Just to put the record straight.  I'm very happily married and this is not a date in any way shape or form.  I'm simply meeting a girlfriend from 50 years ago for a chat over old times.  It is not internet dating or a blind date of any description.  I'm just meeting an old friend for a pint or glass of wine.  

The fact that she's female and we did have a dalliance back in the 60's is neither here nor there…

Now behave yourselves…. :biggrin_mini:

Of course we believe you, Gordon........................................

By the way have you seen Grace Slick circa 1968 compared to 2014?

Yes, she still has those beautiful eyes.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully I may met one of two ERs on saturday as I will be at Aldershot for the Farnham show as the 2mmSA AGM is being held there as well. Probably get there around lunchtime. We set off in the morning for Farnham and will be camped (comfortably in the motorhome) at nearby Crooksbury Hill.

The live steamer looks nice Neil. Building in 7/8ths is a nice idea as it would be dwarfed by most peoples coaches or even wagons. It is possible to get a reasoonable length of run and plenty of power in a small steamer. Clarey Edwards built a GE J70 'Toby'  Tram engine in gauge 0 .Being Clarey it was as close to scale as he could make it. When I saw it it was pulling a string of coaches round a large garden layout.

Don

• Like 5

I think you might be reading more into this lunch than is reality…:-)

Just to put the record straight.  I'm very happily married and this is not a date in any way shape or form.  I'm simply meeting a girlfriend from 50 years ago for a chat over old times.  It is not internet dating or a blind date of any description.  I'm just meeting an old friend for a pint or glass of wine.  

The fact that she's female and we did have a dalliance back in the 60's is neither here nor there…

Take two minders.

Watched a bit of Led Zeppelin 'celebration day' the 2007 concert and some old geezer after attacking his guitar with a bow wandered off came back carrying a double like that........

Yes and I bet he only played it for one toon and put it back. Mine weighed about 18lbs..........

This afternoon I tried to carry my Mesa / Boogie 100 watt combo amp up from the Basement  to our Den for a workout - I did not make further than the first step... It weighs in at circa 115 lbs - I think that the 200 watt EV speaker weighs about 20 lbs alone.

It’s a sod getting old.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back fromn a good day out on the trains with an old workmate which gave us the chance to put the world to rights and to decide which politicians need hanging from the new gallows that are being erected on the M62 (between J's 30 and 33).   The trains were consistent as they were all late by up to half an hour and in one case the service was terminated short at Gloucester.   I also managed to leave my ancient filofax on the transfer deck at Reading but all in all we had a good day.  I just hope that I will be able to get some joy from the lost property dept at Reading when I ring in the morning, at least the filofax has my contact details in it.

SWMBO seems to have responded well to the injections that she had in her back on Monday.  The washing machine made some nasty noises and blew the circuit breakers yesterday and we have to wait till Friday for a repair man so she spent part of the morning at the Launderette but still seems to be OK so perhaps the jabs have done their job.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Evening all. Firstly there is no change to the main two subjects of my recent postings. The cheque is yet to arrive and the ache from certain areas of my anatomy have remained today. A little concerning that the latter is taking so long to clear up. Mind you having located the seeming source of the pain to a nearby area I am wondering if the pain is caused by muscle injury from a previous football game rather than my daughter's wayward feet!

• RMweb Premium

Third lot of thunder just knocked everything out but just a blip - everything back on. Phew!

Polly

Edit.  Sorry. Not alright - phone line dead.  :O

Being looked into.

Edited by southern42

Evening all,

Flávio, I have to say that we offer the same kind of hospitality at our house, and I recall the shock on our children's faces when their own kids eat things here that they won't touch at home. Have to admit that I am a bit selective who I offer the single malt to however!

Simon, it is good to hear that you enjoyed your break so much and your posts would suggest that you managed quite a bit of train spotting! Always a crunch, the first day back at work though!

Jamie, great news about the good lady's health, let's hope it means an end to her troubles. Perhaps you should celebrate by buying her a new washing machine? I'm used to doing that at frequent intervals because I married a 'washaholic' - put an item of clothing down, and next thing you know, it is hanging on the line! I can already hear a rumble from the main drum bearing of her current model and its little more than a year old.

Neil, I had no idea of the extent of the engineering carried out on the GGR. Most impressed that you're producing your own 'Tornado'! I could virtually smell the steam whilst viewing your pictures, thank you.

Beautiful full moon tonight with once again a lovely blue halo, sadly the super camera is currently on holiday in NYC with the nurse daughter! Still they get home late Friday so we shall lose our two house guests and return to what passes for normal here. We will actually miss them believe it or not.

Ian(trisonic), this ageing process is truly annoying at times - when my two grandsons were quite young, one of my party tricks was to have them hang from each hand with arms outstretched and horizontal. Apart from the surgeons warning about lifting this week, I think I'd struggle to do that with a couple of 2L bottles of spring water these days!

Hope the rest of the week works for you,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 6

G’night, Jock, boy....................

“...a song that they sing of their home in the sky, maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep, but singing works just fine for me.”         J. Taylor.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

Evening all,  

Thought I'd add some comments on todays  ramblings....many decades ago we had just moved into a new house  on a new estate  with built in electric storage heaters. These were on some weird rate and only came on at night. So not very effective.  lady comes round doing a survey  for the local electricity  board (SWEB) asking what we thought of them? What did we do as the temperature dropped -  just put another woolly on says I ! . Seemed to not be the answer she was looking for.

Neil that sure is a tiny loco, and  I thought  Rishra at Leighton Buzzard was small.  A very long time ago there was a drawing of  Polar Bear ( I think) in the Narrow Gauge Soc.Mag. I couldn't find it last time I was in the UK as I quite fancy building a 1:24 scale model. 

Lets hope Gordons "old flame" is what he hopes for?  I took a very big chance  when I first went to Canada as Marilyn & I had spoken on the phone and sent each other photos ..... but you can never be 100% sure with internet dating,  I guess I was just very very lucky?  (Mind you she took a very big chance too!)

Now all I've got to do is get the ex to start playing nicely about the house, (anyone had any experience with equity release?)  Find some one who'll take my  0e exhibition layout off my hands  get rid of assorted bits of railway & modelling  bits and pieces  - including a mark 1 Unimat lathe. - then get on with the rest of my life! 

Enjoy whats left of your day, 

Trev.

Hi Trev.

I looked into equity release recently with a view to helping both kids buy houses now rather than wait until the inevitable happens. I'm 60 and not in the best of health, and my house is worth £220-250K. The best they could do was £85K or so which wouldn't go very far and with all sorts of caveats and charges. I gave the boys the option, they both said that they didn't want me to lose my security, and agreed that the bird in the hand was certainly not worth the three in the bush!

PM me if I can be of any further help.

Ed

...anyone had any experience with equity release?...

Not directly, and I do not intend to, having seen the desperate difficulties it has caused for some elderly folk I know. Once the money has been taken, you are no longer an independent homeowner, but their unpaid investment property manager. Read the contract very carefully, there are typically provisions for repairs and renewals to the standard the equity release company requires. Where you might simply ignore a tired bathroom by no longer using it, and not renew a kitchen which is perfectly serviceable if rather worn, and tolerate some small exterior deteriorations, (leaking gutter joint, small amount of pointing missing under a ridge tile) the equity release business want THEIR investment maintained in 'move in' condition, and the contract binds you to compliance. This may eventually get sorted out in the courts, like PPPI mis-selling, but the misery in the meantime - avoid, avoid, avoid.

The only form of equity release I would recommend is sale, either one buys out the other, or outright and share the proceeds.

(I am very early risen, thanks to the effects of a disgusting cold. But at least it was a fantastic night for a moonlit walk in the hope of restoring sleepiness. Had the great satisfaction of being asked what I was about by a pleasant young lady in uniform. Still no can sleep, so hit the keyboard.)

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Morning All,

It is a dreary and wet morning here in this part of the world.

This equity release business sounds decidedly unpleasant - I guess it is another one of these cases of, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Have a good day everyone...

Good morning all, 

Dull & dismal here this morning so far.  To much cloud last night to see the moon.  Still tomorrows POETS day!  

Thanks for the input re-equity release, just an  idea at the moment. 

Try and make the best of what life throws at you today.

Trev

• Like 2