The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thanks from me too, Tim.

We had a plumber called Tim visit yesterday to fix the ground floor Crapper. He had to take it off it’s fittings in the floor, fit better ones and also renew the sewer pipework the goes to the main outflow from the house in the basement. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth here because it will not be able to be used for a further 24  hours.

As I said to them I grew up in a one lavatory house - we have three others, working,  scattered over the house - just how many do we freaking need?

Kids are spoilt for choice nowadays.

Best, Pete.

PS Sorry I missed the cal last night, Jock!

With just the two of us three WCs works fine one in the en suite, one in the bathroom used by visitors and one outside so I don't keep coming through with dirty shoes. It also means there is always another available! You may have different fittings over there  it sounds rather major with modern plastic drainware it is usually usuable once connected If repairs are needed to concrete floors etc a bit of postcrete goes off quick. Still keep a potty and se there response or tell them to pretend they are at college and p*ss out of the window like students did in my day.

Don

A weirdness has occurred. Whilst rummaging through a box of bits I found this:

post-17799-0-56151100-1416922704.jpg

Obviously I made it, I imagine some time in the eighties when I was toying with O 16.5 stuff. But I have no recollection whatsoever of making it or what it was for, but it does make sense of a brass 7mm diesel superstructure I found a while back. Although the frames are a bit crude (just slightly) it has plunger pickups and seems to have run. Very strange. Now stripped down and the parts ready for re-use.

On the computer tack, I am a very happy Macker (and honorary Mackem) and have been since 1986. In my loft there are many old macs - most of which still work, including an Apple ][ - pre-Mac. The iMac that was struck by lightning doesn't, though, which is a shame. In fact we are a totally Mac family, #1 son uses his for his music, #2 actually works for Apple in Cupertino and #3 is a graphic artist and uses only Macs. I have an iMac, iPad, iPod and several iPhones. Windows doesn't get a look in here, and given my experience of it at school and at the DfE it doesn't deserve to.

I've also got a G5 and monitor kicking about. It stopped working after a long life, but I can't bear to throw it away. I also can't lift it, but that's another story...

• Like 7

I think that if near neighbours are having work done it is natural to take an interest. If it is a similar house and you are thinking about having similar works then it is equally natural to ask who is doing the work and your opinion of them and ,yes, enquire (inquire?) politely about the cost.  I have never understood the British inclination to secrecy over money matters although I do of course respect others' right to it.

Ed

so I don't know how to spell in/enquire, nor where to put the apostrophe in other's.  I'm sure I used to.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

(…) then suddenly the train pops up approaching Wymondham - leaves me about 10 minutes to get to Eccles, a journey of 8 minutes, but the car is iced up ! - FLIP (I think thats what I said), start engine, turn on heated screen, scrape, quicky David, scrape the other side, quicker David. Off to Eccles, slow progress because of the ice. Park up, grab cameras etc. and run to the other platform (for a clear shot), notice the automatic signal is on green, good (I hope) this means they haven't passed in the last few minutes and I doubt they have done the journey in such a short time, get on the platform, wee waaa, weeee, waaa - barriers drop, I rush and setup the video cameras and sure enough the locos come into view through the mist - phew.

And there are still people claiming railfanning is an exercise in boredom!  :O  

I would much rather attend Don's funeral than the very sad interment for a friend yesterday. Unexplained motor accident, widow, teenaged kids, elderly parents, inquest not concluded.

A propos Pete's multi-loo comment...

We found this notice on our bathroom door. The handwriting suggests it was from our 10 y/o daughter and aimed at her younger (sometimes annoying) brother .... 

Fine evidence of developing womanly wisdom in the matter of managing menfolk. She'll go far. Keep it for her wedding day...

...I am now waiting to be asked "How much is it costing?" ...

Just a suggestion. My chosen reply is '"What I can afford, for the quality I require".

...As I said to them I grew up in a one lavatory house - we have three others, working,  scattered over the house - just how many do we freaking need?

Kids are spoilt for choice nowadays...

A former girlfriend who married a mate who did really well Stateside - and consequently that was where their boys were born and raised - had the same problem. She solved it by bringing them to the ancestral Welsh homeland every other annual vacation. They stayed in Granny's 'two up, two down' in Pwlldeufechanaberwyn with an outside two-holer as the sole sanitary provision, the boys in a tent in the back yard. Wet, cold, uncomfortable, that's the stuff holiday memories are made from...

• Like 5

And there are still people claiming railfanning is an exercise in boredom!  :O  

Exercise? Ooh, I've gone off the idea now!  :training:

Fine evidence of developing womanly wisdom in the matter of managing menfolk. She'll go far. Keep it for her wedding day...

My thoughts entirely! 

Bracing myself for one day hearing "I've met a boy and we're going to herd sheep in NZ. You can come and visit if you like!"   :wub:  :bye_mini:

• Like 1

Morning all. New laptop. I've never used Windows 8 before and it's making me do things I don't want to and the cursor seems to be possessed....

As others have already stated, unless you have a touch-screen Win8.x is a waste-of-space. Most businesses I deal with (not likely in the near future to provide touch screens to 1,000s of employees) standardized on Win7.x as it is one of the most stable platforms ever from MSnot, and is fairly easy to use and consistent (a surprise from MS!!). Either reevert to Win7, which is usually an option/provided now for new PCs due to Win8 being CRAP, or use the overlay to mimic Win7 - you'll feel much better than the perpetual fight that is Win8...

...Ian A, no squirrels ever made it in the house but we used to have a screen door on the patio. On more than on occasion there'd be one of the little furry freaks half way up the screen looking into the dining room. Good luck with black Friday. Then again if you are staying home you can watch the mayhem on TV and laugh at the shopping lemmings from the comfort of your own sofa...

Indeed I will - stay at home that is - there's a standing joke here in the Abel household, I ALWAYS say "..right, I'm getting up at 4AM tomorrow for the Black Friday sales..." to get a rise out of the family who KNOW I'd never do it unless, as stated yesterday, there was a new model Rolls or Jag available for $1 and I was guaranteed to get one. Anything else isn't worth my time or the aggravation, though it does seem some thrive of the event :O  I just hope everyone survives this year <sigh>...

The Thanksgiving week provides one thing (beyond the food and drink overload), it makes today HUMP DAY for me :)

Nothing else to report, other than the morning temperature was -12 and moving towards -3 for a high. Not as much snow as Pete is expecting but maybe 1-2" tomorrow...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My profuse apologies in advance for posting railway related subject material.

14 years ago a dear friend passed away. Much of his collection of models and other material were sold on to friends and members of the group we belonged to. Somewhere in all the papers and posters I seem to have discovered a working timetable in the bottom of a box. "British Railways Western Region (Bristol division)" Passenger and freight. April 66 March 67. My question is, are they worth anything and if so should I offer it on the RMweb classified or throw it on Ebay? Polite suggestions on what to do with it invited.

Generally these are worth a small number of quids, some are sort after and go for more but these things are random and market lead, an S&D or a M&GNR one is predictably going to cost a lot, but a WR 1966/7 is probably not.

hth

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just had another litle walk. I noticed that according to a courier online tracker that an eBay purchase had been delivvered and signed for. The courier had delivered it to an address down the road. Not the couriers fault as that was the address on the label! Package retrieved after asking courier company where they had delivered it!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a touchscreen PC. I have Windows 8.1 (upgraded from 8 ) and I don't seem to have any problems using a mouse. Win 8 did have a couple of irritations, it took me a while to find the on screen power button and the win 8 mail was horrible. Other than that getting used to it took less time than learning to use a Mac (minutes in either case).

I was one of the people lucky enough to use the version of Windows that preceded version 2. As children used to steal mouse balls most teachers soon learned the keyboard equivalents!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A weirdness has occurred. Whilst rummaging through a box of bits I found this:

attachicon.gifchassis.jpg

Obviously I made it, I imagine some time in the eighties when I was toying with O 16.5 stuff. But I have no recollection whatsoever of making it or what it was for, but it does make sense of a brass 7mm diesel superstructure I found a while back. Although the frames are a bit crude (just slightly) it has plunger pickups and seems to have run. Very strange. Now stripped down and the parts ready for re-use.

Oooh err! a K's HP2M......

now on these computer thingys I was brought up on George IV, then into DOS and machine code.......along with Algol 60 and Fortran IV as programming languages - eeh those were the days...

And much fun could be had with K/D/D ... it used to say "Are you sure" .. answer yeas and that killed the directories of the unfortunate who had forgotten to log off....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

I was brought up on George

Baz

Once upon a time people used to arrive in droves from all over the world to marvel at the use of computers by small children in NE London. They started with programmable toys. A popular model was George the robot available in Argos. A party from Germany were very impressed and wanted to purchase them. Anyone who remembers the system for buying stuff in Argos in the 1980s will understand why the visitors were convinced I was joking when I explained filling out a form, queuing to see if it was in stock, queuing to pay and queuing to collect.

You may all be aware that the walkway across Tower Bridge has been rebuilt with a glass floor.  Apparently someone has dropped a beer bottle and cracked the glass.  Not that you would ever find me up there.  Can't cope with seeing nothing between my feet.

Bill

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oooh err! a K's HP2M......

now on these computer thingys I was brought up on George IV, then into DOS and machine code.......along with Algol 60 and Fortran IV as programming languages - eeh those were the days...

And much fun could be had with K/D/D ... it used to say "Are you sure" .. answer yeas and that killed the directories of the unfortunate who had forgotten to log off....

Baz

A youngster then :jester: I operated with pre-George G1 G2 and G3 but long before that my dad showed me how to do the patch cord programming on an IBM machine while I was at Junior school

Don

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, sorry about the noise but they should be through with the concrete breaking by the end of today. Some of it is eight inches thick, you wonder how it could crack but it has so it has to go. Slight problem, the lads have piled the rubble in the entrance to the drive awaiting the grab tipper this afternoon. So when my wife wanted to go to town she had to climb over the garden wall. Which leads me to : -

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned our neighbour's house had been burgled. I now know that a TV and some jewellery were taken, although some power tools and other tempting stuff were untouched. Still bothers me that the car was in the drive although the lady was at her daughter's for the night. Either the perp knew she was away or simply didn't care. Don't get over anxious about these things though.

It wasn't all that bad, Geoff - I was being somewhat flippant in my comment - these jobs have to be done.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just had another litle walk. I noticed that according to a courier online tracker that an eBay purchase had been delivvered and signed for. The courier had delivered it to an address down the road. Not the couriers fault as that was the address on the label! Package retrieved after asking courier company where they had delivered it!

On the news tonight was an item about 'Click and collect' apparently you can collect items at your local filling station/railway station/newsagents/post office.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening folks.

Ah, computers - I started with a Spectrum, then work was a 286 with Word Perfect, which was the pits.  I know less now than I knew then......no fan of them.  I understand the need, and I appear to be using one now, and of course at work, now and very much the previous work, but...I hate them.  Or more to the point, I hate the software, that never, ever just does what it should without fiddling with something, resetting a hoojamaflip or needing a service pack upgrade version 8 million or something.  Ooops, rant.  I need to turn myself off and on again :jester:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Exercise? Ooh, I've gone off the idea now!  :training:

My thoughts entirely! 

Bracing myself for one day hearing "I've met a boy and we're going to herd sheep in NZ. You can come and visit if you like!"   :wub:  :bye_mini:

Funnily enough my sis in law is married to a NZ sheep farmer....   Any wine fans will like to know they farm just by the Cloudy Bay winery, although it's not what it used to be since Kevin Judd moved on.

• Like 4

Ah, computers - I started with a Spectrum, then work was a 286 with Word Perfect, which was the pits.  I know less now than I knew then......no fan of them.  I understand the need, and I appear to be using one now, and of course at work, now and very much the previous work, but...I hate them.  Or more to the point, I hate the software, that never, ever just does what it should without fiddling with something, resetting a hoojamaflip or needing a service pack upgrade version 8 million or something.  Ooops, rant.  I need to turn myself off and on again :jester:

I started with Tandy TRS-80 (often known as Trash-80), equipped with not one, but two, 160KB floppy disk drives as the sole storage.  I had to link these up to various transducers to measure force and length, and ended up writing the necessary routines to get the transducer data in Z80 machine code, as no other software would achieve the desired speed.  That was a challenge!

I learned basic on a Commodore PET, and as part of my evening classes in basic, had to write a programme to calculate perfect numbers up to 500.  This took about 25 minutes to run.  I kept the programme every time I used a new PC at work, until such time as the same calculation would take about 1/10th of a second!  PCs certainly run faster now, but all that speed has been gobbled up by 'bloatware' etc.   

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My desktop is Windows XP, it was the latest system when when I purchased the computer. I've no idea what system my Hudl works on, at the moment I am just practicing with it, I am only just getting used to the small screen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On the news tonight was an item about 'Click and collect' apparently you can collect items at your local filling station/railway station/newsagents/post office.

The vendor for the choo choo I purchased offered the option of collecting it from a branch of Argos. I may do that if offered in future!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My desktop is Windows XP, it was the latest system when when I purchased the computer. I've no idea what system my Hudl works on, at the moment I am just practicing with it, I am only just getting used to the small screen.

I think all computers have a dark side residing with in them. I was attempting to install something on Aditi's Mac Air when a black screen appeared asking me to "bash" it.
  • Like 3

The vendor for the choo choo I purchased offered the option of collecting it from a branch of Argos. I may do that if offered in future!

There's been a similar system in France for some time, the collection points tend to be cafés, which works well for everybody - after all, it would be rude not to buy un p'tit verre and possibly a lottery ticket, wouldn't it?

Here it's my local corner shop, so it's a bottle of milk and a loaf. But it's a good idea if you are likely to be out at the random time that the courier arrives (or doesn't).

• Like 4

Evening all,  

This new l/t of mine has got  Windows 8 - which managed to upgrade it's self to 8.1 while I was in UK the other week.  Took a while to get it were I wanted it - start screen now looks like my old XP-Pro did.  Biggest gripe I have with it is finding the "off" button -- if all else fails cnt/alt/delete does! 

Anyway back to strange phone call and the like,  many years ago I was sent to do some repairs on a Generator at a GCHQ out post in darkest Cornwall.  In those days boss used to have to send fax with my name, D-o-B  vehicle registration number etc. So I pulls up at the security lodge (MOD police)   gets checked in , drives to reception..goes to sign in  & find myself surrounded by two large guys in macs! . Asks - do you know your grandmothers maiden name?  Nope,  do you have any contact with  (name of teacher who had been my form master at Secondary school (who was I later found out from his obituary a member of British Communist party) .  Nope,  These guys then came out with a list of other "trick"  questions...once they were satisfied with me...let me carry on with the job. But they did seem to know an awful lot about me & mine. Never had any problem after that getting into any MOD base...

Still nearly bed time,  (GMT +1hr here)  

Sleep tight,mind the bugs dont bite! 

Trev.