The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. I spoke too soon last night. Amber woke up at just after midnight having been sick in her bed. Sarah not right yet and my bug is leaving me exhausted by mid afternoon. Tomorrow sees me delivering a presentation to the parents on the teaching of spelling. I hope I can shift the cough by then.

Hope your hump day goes well.

Morning all,

Had a traumatic time tonight with a close friend, daughter of two of our oldest Clacton friends, sharing the spectre of a rapid deterioration in her condition - bone cancer as a secondary from breast cancer which was thought to have been cured many years ago when she lived in Spain. Bit close to home for me and quite upsetting - if I get time to elaborate in the morning, I will before meeting up with her and her relatively new husband to offer the shoulder! Thumb full of Calvados and bed is called for now!

Hope the hump goes well for you all,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! Wrap up well!!

Evening.

.  Which takes forever to warm up, but no mobile igloo impersonations for us, we're 'all windows cleared' folks.

As a  full employee  (but part time) of the local Police Dept - I have to make sure that not just my windows / lights are fully clear but also the whole car - it is illegal in New Jersey to drive along with snow flying or bouncing off your vehicle. as it is a quite large SUV it’s bloody difficult getting all the snow off the roof- specially as it has a rack on it.

As you can guess; most people don’t...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Car due for its service/MOT today. This could cost me a lot of money.

Last nights cricket was good to umpire but short of games as two teams couldn't play (Leeds seemed to have some traffic problems last night so difficult to get to the cricket school).

Thank goodness its hump day! Getting ready for some tutoring in Cumbria this weekend so I have some revising to do.

Have a fantastic day!

Baz

• Like 1

Morning all. Not quite as cold here this morning. The drive to work was along a brightly moonlit road; part way along I found I was following a Barn Owl who was flying along the road, above it obviously. As I drew near it veered away to one side and disappeared over a hedge. I see one regularly along that route but I don't know if it is the same one. Stay warm all.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Snow outside did stick, so everything looks quite nice! Think I'll buy some food for dinner soon. Ain't this an exciting life...

Jock, we're here if there's anything you want to get off your chest. Thinking of you and your friends and sending positive vibrations to their daughter...

No doubt this is old news to most but just in case...

The bells in the faeces is an old joke. Whatever, it is rather unsettling when you come across a bear t**d still steaming in the middle of the track!

Beautiful cold clear morning here in Donegal. I think it's going to be a warm clothes day.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Cold and dry here so far. Recycling bags already deposited.

I may ( or may not!) clear a space on my computer desk today to find the Sprog programming track. I purchased a loco via eBay that will need a decoder. I haven't done much model railway related activity for a while. I don't think the loco will arrive today but being prepared can't be a bad thing. Perhaps it would be wise to look for a decoder!

Tony

• Like 2

Morning all.  Dry & cold here today -2 degrees, which is pretty chilly for us being right on the coast.  Fingers have just about warmed up at work after being wrapped round a cup of tea!  A day full of meetings beckons, so I will just have to grin & bear it.

• RMweb Premium

The bells in the faeces is an old joke. Whatever, it is rather unsettling when you come across a bear t**d still steaming in the middle of the track!

Beautiful cold clear morning here in Donegal. I think it's going to be a warm clothes day.

The day after the photo in my avatar was taken (11,500' up on Boreas pass on the old Denver South park and Pacific) I was continuing my bike ride from Breckenridge towards Vail pass and Minturn.  The bike trail goes through woods with about 30 yards af trees between the path and some houses at one point.   I looked right and saw what looked like a large bear with a cub in the woods between me and the house fences.   To say that I was perturbed was an understatement.   I speeded up to try and get away but as I passed the figures realised that they were life size cutouts in sheets metal, painted black and placed there by the householder.   It took me a while to appreciate the humour.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Today is going downhill rapidly. Two trains in a row that were so busy that I couldn't even get on. Now going to be late

Our trains were pretty much on time today but boy were they busy!!

Did manage to get some of the last seats on our train but many standing from Redhill. That never used to happen before xmas. unless there was a bigger problem than usual.

A few beers last night in Redhill as decided not to risk staying in London and just aswell as many trains were late after we got in the pub.

So not a lot of modelling done last night but did do a few bits that didnt need too much accuracy after a few pints!

However awake early this morning so feeling very tired but did get a bit more modelling done.

Half way through the working week by lunchtime which is good!!

EDIT watched the report about the fatal grade crossing crash near New York that occured last night on the BBC news this morning. 7 dead so far.

Edited by roundhouse

Tony,

Daughter has received an initial scholarship offer from URI of nearly $60k - less than Drexel but worth more as the URI is cheaper! It’s a State Uni compared to a private one. I like it because it is on the border of Newport RI, an interesting town I have yet to visit and just a few miles from Providence. 

Weatherwise it is again -9C at present with light snow forecast BUT it is expected to reach almost tropical levels of 5C today! Whoohoo!

Tomorrow we’re back down to a High of -2C. Grrrr.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

Good morning everybody. Cold here in Carshalton-sur-Mer. I doubt the fishing boats will venture out today, though much discussion of local herons on Facebook. My offer of a recipe (14th C) for roast heron was not particularly well received.

Cough and cold now moving into the dry and tickly stage after a few days of snotaggedon. Bloody inconvenient.

Just awaiting the arrival of Solomon (the painter, not the prophet). I hope he finished today, so we can have our living room back. He has done a cracking job, though.

Just one question - did Poirot ever investigate a case in which a branch chairman strangled a candidate for continually changing drafts after their publication date? No? Watch this space.

Have a great Hump Day.

• Like 2

Morning all,

grey and cold as I walked down the side of the hill to the station but the sky has hints of blue beneath the veil of grey and yellow over Borough Market Junction. Trains ran well today. SE seem to be coping with their part of the disruption, slower, fuller, but running....famous last words I imagine.

Jock, I hope you are able to cope with being the shoulder...you certainly give a lot.

Andyram, every sympathy sickness in the family - especially children; they tend to bounce back faster than the adults but we used to dread the phone ringing at work and seeing the nursery's number come up. Elder Lurker ran a temperature at every opportunity (new tooth, slight cold) and was also rashy, and the nursery would want him collected every time, We used to take it in turns, and felt like we were running out of holiday.....

I was one of the victims of the "Signal Box credit card fraud" a few years ago. The credit card company didn't manage to contact me after a few telephone purchases, nor after the £2000 electronic items, but they did stop me paying for entrance to Beaulieu the same day, after queueing for hours with Younger Lurker at the height of his pre-ASD diagnosis difficulties..... No intention to blame Signal Box btw, that's just how it happened. I wasn't out of pocket at all.

Baz, I see from the paper that Peter Willey and George Sharp are suing the ECB because they're too old to be umpires on the first class list now. Leaving aside the fact that memories of Peter Willey's test debut in 1976 make me feel old, I would have thought that maintaining concentration is the hardest part of standing for 90+ overs in a day. It certainly was when I stood a few league matches in the past (ironically I was standing because of an eye injury that meant I couldn't bat (ball reared vertically off a dodgy pitch in a friendly when I was practicing keeping my head down and over ball, hit my cheekbones and the seam cut my eyebrow. But the same eye that I am having problems with now ...)

Have a good Wednesday all, I see we're due up to 3 inches of snow in the East.

Mornin' all,

More evidence of progress through the year is the sun breaking the horizon on the return ride. It was a sub zero, cloudless and bright start at 07.30....calm under a pale blue sky devoid of any other tones, which seems to characterize such bitterly cold early mornings. Straight into the first slopes, warming the muscles with an energetic ascent...mindful of the usual icy spots. Pleasant views across the snow fields towards the nearby town waking from its slumbers. Lights on the bike won't be needed at this time for much longer.

Feathered ones getting through good quantities of food in this weather.

Enjoy what you do

Dave 

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 7

EDIT watched the report about the fatal grade crossing crash near New York that occured last night on the BBC news this morning. 7 dead so far.

This is the info I have.

Woman driving Jeep Cherokee got out to check on damage after gates descended on her car. She got back in the car and was killed when it was struck. The damage to the train  would have been lighter except that the third “rail” was “caught” and reared up penetrating the first car(iage). There was also fire.

That is what I have so far.

I’m not commenting any further on cause and effect until confirmation/report.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic