RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Yippeeddooo! It's Friday!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Concerned that Trev hasn't posted recently.

Off to collect car then shopping with her indoors.

Watch out Cumbria. I am there this weekend doing some cricket scorer training....

Baz

• Like 12

Morning all. Temperature at zero and no frost here. No reported problems on Southern but I'm not concerned about the trains today. Two appointments to attend first which means I can drive to them so I can get frustrated with the standards of driving instead.

POETS day today and I fully intend to be early.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Looks cold outside, based on the one glimpse I dared...

I admit I was quite perplexed at what you wrote on dealing with asbestos in the UK. Sounds to me as if there are very little restrictions on where and for which purpose it may still be retained, which does seem rather callous to my mind... There still are a few narrow exceptions where the stuff is permitted in Germany, but in each, safeguards have been put in place to hopefully (...) ensure no fibres or particulates become airborne.

Edited to mention, asbestos but cannot be used in any new constructions and may be imported only with a special permit.

Edited by 1216 025
  • Like 5

Morning All,

It is colder than a Witches wotsit this morning - the air temperature is "only" down to around -1°C, but there is a biting wind which makes it feel a lot colder than it is.

The little guy has headed off to school having been off sick for the last two days with a rather nasty virus that made him loose his voice.  However, he was quite keen to go today because he is starting bilingual lessons for the first time, and they are having a carnival party in the afternoon.  (I am not sure which of these two is the favourite, but I think I can guess!)

I have a day of software testing to look forward to.

Edited to say, I too, am surprised that there is still so much asbestos in public buildings in the UK.  I remember that our school went through a lengthy asbestos removal program in the 80s, so I am surprised that there are still so many schools with the wretched stuff.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Morning all. Still dark in Carshalton-sur-Mer, the lights of the whelk trawlers are twinkling on the horizon.

Jock - so pleased. NHN - the carpal tunnel operation was one of the best things that happened to me, freeing me from pain and associated depression that had lasted years. I agree with Jock, we shouldn't have to pay for treatment, but sometimes it's just practical. I'm worried that Julie may need varicose vein treatment, which our local hospital no longer offers. Despite my beliefs I'd pay that in a heartbeat to ease her pain.

Speaking of which I really am going to strangle that candidate...

Solomon finished painting yesterday (looks great) so we are putting furniture back. Including sixty feet of shelving, which Julie now wants me to varnish before we put the books and ornaments back. So no Modlyn for me for a few days.

On the asbestos chat, I lost my father to cancer at 52, probably caused by the asbestos lagging in school boiler rooms - he was a caretaker. One of my first jobs was in a lab, and we used to cut up asbestos sheet with a power saw - no masks - to make mats to put Bunsen burners on. Then our school spent 15 months having the asbestos stripped out. It's everywhere - or was.

So as the thigh of the week enters the trouser leg of the weekend I hope you all get the day you deserve. I've got a horrible feeling that I'm going to...

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Premium

One of my first jobs was in a lab, and we used to cut up asbestos sheet with a power saw - no masks - to make mats to put Bunsen burners on. Then our school spent 15 months having the asbestos stripped out. It's everywhere - or was.

Rather hair-raising when you realise how the stuff was handled when no-one had been really aware of the risks we know about today… Come to think of it, I wouldn't place any bets on the elementary school I went to having been free of it.

• Like 1

Morning all,

Wondering if the acronym POETS applies to people that finish at 15:15+1 second; quite early but the same time every day with no option for bunking off! ;)

My FiL was lost to mesothelioma, having been exposed to asbestos during his time working for a local council. In fact the unions used his particular circumstances as a test case for compensation for others in the future affected in this way. I never got to meet him, sadly. As a yoof I worked in an MoD building for years with loads of asbestos; we used to crawl around in the basement to put in new-fangled intranet cables, get equipment out for the lab etc. It was removed eventually but it only takes a tiny amount, so I tend to skip over discussions on the subject!   

Looking forward to the Alton show tomorrow.  Hope to catch up with GB, who I assume will be wearing a daffodil or some such so that  I'll know who he is!  

Anyway, I see it's "Hi Ho" time so, wish you all well and catch up soon.

After a couple of chill damp days dominated by sleet and snow (which failed to live up to predictions of it settling), double-digit temperatures and sun make for a very pleasant day. Due to time zone differences I'll be working late this evening so snuck off to Tokyo's Akihabara district, which apart from its less desirable/more notorious qualities, is also home to a number of new and 2nd-hand model railway shops - so many in fact I have to split them up between trips. Spent a pleasant couple of hours browsing and picked up a little red number I'd had my eye on for some time. Cheekily asked for a discount (not the Done Thing usually) and got one too :)

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I have been involved in numerous projects to remove asbestos. One project back 1998 we visited the building before taking possession where all known asbestos had been removed only to find that the tennant who had recently moved out had started to strip the timber wall panelling and exposed blue asbestos. The area was quickly sealed off and further tests on the building carried out. A million pounds it cost to remove the asbestos from the screed, plaster and voids from a building that had been rebuilt in the late 60s / early 70s and blue asbestos used extensively throughout it. At that time. Scary really.

It's Friday and our train is close to its booked time.
The Thameslink before ours was looking rather cosy being just four coaches today.

Just got to get through today at work then it's a whole weekend working on the layout.teo weeks till its first show at Eurotrack.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Morning all. Looking forward to 4pm (ish) when I escape Scottish HQ!

Back in the 60s when the Scottish Office (which became Scottish Executive then Scottish Government - not to be confused with the Scotland Office!) was out-growing St Andrew's House, a giant office block was built behind and on top of (as part of) the St James shopping Centre in Edinburgh. It's one of the ugliest buildings in the city and dominates the view along George Street. The civil servants moved in, then by 1995 the building was closed due to asbestos. The additional civil servants moved to the new build Victoria Quay down in Leith.

New St Andrew's House has been empty now for 20 years, and it looks like it will finally begin to be demolished late this year or early next year. As I understand it, NSAH is owned by the National Coal Board (or at least was) and rented to the Scottish Office.

The whole of the St James Centre (including the Thistle Hotel) and NSAH is due to be demolished - the only exception being the newer John Lewis section - and a new development is due to go in there by 2020. It's going to be a big disruption but I'll be glad to see the back of NSAH.

• Like 3

morning all,cold here,-2 deg....the motor industry used aspestos in lots of things,but worryingly is the replacement this stuff creates twice as much dust as before and is almost corrosive,it eats into alloy wheels and corrodes brake components as well as wearing them out,sometimes quicker than the pad material.......theres been no long term study as yet so only time will tell....progress.....at least its Friday....might take jack to the show I thinks....need a bit of lads time....have a good weekend all and keep safe and warm.

Mornin' all,

Sub zero, calm, clear blue sky start in the Moorlands....a perfect Winter morn. Colour is returning gradually earlier as the dawn retreats....the bright blue of the sky in the east contrasting with the orange sunlight catching the underside of vapour trails. Another morning for vigourous climbing of the gradients to combat wind chill. Sitting still for a few moments by the frozen reservoir surrounded by breathy steam and deep frost covered everything is a reminder that we are still in the depths of Winter but the slowly thawing snow revealing green daffodil stems pushing hopefully upwards is a herald of warmer, lighter times ahead.

Weight now on the right side of 15st but I'll reserve the celebrations for the right side of 14st...which is still generous for 6ft height.

Music for this breakfastime....On the border by Al Stewart

Feathered ones remembered.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 11

Morning all; there's a patch of blue in between the clouds over Borough Market Junction this morning. The wind is cold. There were a few snowy bits trapped in the grooves of our decking and it snowed big flakes on me last night as I walked home.

Elder Lurker is now off school. Mrs fears it may be tonsillitis so is trying to get him a Doc's appointment. Trouble is our surgery is useless for actually seeing anybody as you can only make an appointment at 8 on the day only to be told the slots are all full. How does that work? We then end up having to use out of hours docs.

The real disappointment is that he might not be up to the curry he and I were going to have (the Mrs is out tonight). I'll just have to have one on my own then.....

the trains have run well all week so far on the SE side. Cue huge delays.

Now time for a coffee and more work: spreadsheet King has handed me the VAT return to review. VAT is so unintuitive that it will take me far more time than it ought to.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Elder Lurker is now off school. Mrs fears it may be tonsillitis so is trying to get him a Doc's appointment. Trouble is our surgery is useless for actually seeing anybody as you can only make an appointment at 8 on the day only to be told the slots are all full. How does that work? We then end up having to use out of hours docs.

A big "be well soon" to EL! Just been through one of these recently and it was anything but fun...

Ingredients for dinner have been bought. Thought I'd make us some roast chicken fillet with wild rice, and use up the rest of the huge portion of mojo rojo I'd done yesterday!

We'll be on a day trip to Oberwiesenthal tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting a glimpse of (and perhaps even a ride on) the Fichtelberg Railway.

• Like 7

Morning All,

A busy few days, so just got around to catching up. I'm glad to hear that Mrs NHN has done well and that Jock has a green light for more therapy.

Reading all the comments about having to pay for medical treatment does somewhat bemuse me, given that a good portion of your taxes go to funding the NHS so it is "free at the point of use"; but I understand the frustration with a system that is so clogged (by - dare I say it - many who don't contribute taxes whatsoever) that for speedy treatment "going private" is now the only option. Having experienced (and worked in) the US, UK and Swiss systems, I still find that the Swiss system - though not perfect - is the better one. Without getting political, it would seem that the future of the NHS will not be so much dependent upon funding, but rather upon turning a 1948 system into something modern - and this will most certainly mean taking certain things away - like providing NHS cosmetic boob jobs to otherwise healthy women because they have "self-image" problems. But which politician or political party will have the courage and insight to propose such a thing???

I would also change things at the NHS so that supplies (medical equipment, drugs, etc.) would be purchased centrally, taking advantage of the huge NHS purchasing power; whilst planning and executing medical and nursing care would be devolved to each hospital, allowing the hospital to service the specific community it is part of.

I greatly enjoyed everyone's stroll down memory lane vis-a-vis sex education. I never had any, but as a voracious reader and one that has always been fascinated by anatomy and biology, by age 9 I had ALL the necessary academic knowledge needed (and then some). But as any engineer will tell you, there's theory and there's practice...

Modelling has hit a brick wall: Camden Lock has stalled, my "quick bit of fun" lineside hut (with detailed and illuminated interior) is proceeding glacially and I await Jamies box of bits.... So it goes.

I look forward to later today as Mrs iD and the Wolfpack with be back home. Tea break over and back to work....

Have a good POETS day

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to the Alton show tomorrow.  Hope to catch up with GB, who I assume will be wearing a daffodil or some such so that  I'll know who he is!  

Don't worry - I know what he looks like, Dr Station Cat knows what he looks like, and he knows what we look like - however we don't know what you look like.  But  a few tips - my avatar picture was taken quite a while back so my beard s changed to a gracious shade of, hmm, 'silver' since then; Chris on the Kernow stand knows what I look like and so at least might be able to tell you if he's seen me at the show, and is waiting for my money if I haven'r left with my goods he is bringing up from Cornwall.  We'll also be visiting he model shop - rude not to when in town and Paul should also have a few things for me.

Anyway now to Good Morning all,

Not too bad a day out there but a bit nippy thus far, it should warm up I think.  I think iD is getting very much to the heart of things on the NHS - the idea if 'free at the point of use' had a lot to commend it in the year it started and it made a huge difference to everyone's lives especially - so I understand - for women.  But that very feature of, in effect, what has turned into a club treating non-members, is just one of the things which has come to weigh it down and the politicians simply skirt round or misrepresent the various issues which beset it such as ever poorer service at GP level and poor post-hospital capacity for those who need care let alone money which is arguably misspent in any number of ways.  I have had some excellent treatment from the NHS and caring GPs but if I want to see one nowadays I usually have to wait a fortnight for an appointment. I even had to wait a fotrtnight for my recent blood test!  The system needs radical change and to be honest what I encountered in Australia, as a transient visitor, was a stark contrast - both at GP and hospital casualty level.

Anyway back to normal - I think it might be 'safe' to go out today and best wishes and hope for early return to health for all those suffering  - have a good day one & all.

• Like 11

Late arriving this morning due to a very sleepless night. After spending nearly an hour on the phone sorting out errors on travel insurance cover renewal and Sky problems (both now sorted) I am ready to go back to bed! Will check out what the rest of you have been up to later.