The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

Taking a tea break from cleaning and tidying...

I've read through most of the earlier posts but haven't retained enough due to Mondaybrainz. Sorry.

Weather today is genuinely 'orrible after the glorious weekend. Today's tasks involve cleaning, tidying, babysititing, picking up from school, visiting the cake shop, feeding, hearing read, watching Katie Morag and going out with a very old mate for some beers. Could be tiring...

That's a lovely looking gîte, John.  Wish I was there...

• Like 2

Mike, if the buoy work is at the Richard Montgomery I suspect passengers may be offered a day ashore at Shoeburyness or Sheerness.

Back in the 90's the ferry I was on, the Pride of Bruges (sister of the ill fated Herald) was laid up in Chatham for several weeks. When we left Chatham I was at the helm as we neared the Montgomery. Suddenly the engine alarms sounded as we lost all power and were in danger of drifting. With the Montgomery on the port side I automatically turned the wheel to bring the stern away from the danger, seconds before the Old Man told me the same movement. Luckily we very quickly got the engines back, as we couldn't have dropped anchor there.

Some pretty weird stuff going on with the Pacific seaboard weather patterns this year it seems.I remember seeing the Montgomery offshore from Southend. I'm advised that the whole lot going off in a one-er would deliver a blast force of several kilotons, akin to a small A-Bomb! It would certainly keep the Estuary's glaziers in gainful employment for a good while.Had a visit from three old friends from 'up the road' this afternoon too. One of them I've not seen since 1998!

I was told that the Montgomery going off would almost totally wipe out one of our beloved estuary islands.

How would the Montgomery going off compare to the Halifax Explosion? That is still considered the largest manmade explosion short of nuclear...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Halifax_Explosion_-_harbour_view_-_restored.jpg

Am pleased to say I got a v. good report from Dr. after annual check up. All vital signs within “normal” parameters. The only thing I have to do is load up with 2,000 ui per day of Vitamin D  for two months - which I thought was odd considering I’m already quite tanned. Looking at Web MD  I can see why they would be concerned of a deficit with my cancer history.

Have a nice day.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Chucking it down at the moment and although we live at the top of a small hill I got to thinking about putting in a contingency plan in case the road became a river and we had to cross it. As luck would have it a friend sent me this which would seem to be one solution.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pMCrj02SUlA?rel=0

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Later start today as the cat needed a serious cuddle and herself was busy on her quiz site.

Right firstly for Mr Lurker - we went on an Orient Express  (part) day trip some years ago - a circular from Victoria hauled by 'Clan Line' disguised as another MN for some reason.  Excellent day out (especially as we weren't paying) and all rather good fun but be warned - assuming things are still the same - hot food is not served on that train as they have (?had?) no proper facilities to do so.  You might get something which is loaded hot in insulated containers but that's it (or used to be).  If you want them to enjoy the full culinary works 'Steam Dreams' will be worth a look - not always steam hauled but judging by our experience some years back the catering is top notch and its worth booking 'Pullman' (even tho' the coaches aren't - it's just the level of table setting, service and menu) for a really good trip.

https://www.steamdreams.co.uk/executables/GT410WebContent.exe?SS=SDSVR01&DB=SteamDreams&Division=A&ActionCode=HP

Now to the matter of things which go bang.  By the mid/late 1970s there was a considerable tightening of security on BR regarding certain matters in that connection and one effect was that only certain locations (usually easier to secure and hard to get at unnoticed) were allowed to hold bangers over weekends - and we weren't.  But the nearby School of Infantry, and associated units at Warminster tended to receive quite big quantities of stuff for their various fun & games up on the Plain - they came to us to unload and collect it but we found they were distinctly averse to doing so on Friday afternoons, which meant we had no choice but to send it off to Severn Tunnel Jcn, the nearest secure place.  However one of our supervisors finally found the answer to this problem as when ringing them he would return to his thickest and most obvious accent (he was Irish) and ask f they would be coming to collect it or would they like us to look after it for the weekend, he could even conjure  a loading party out of them on a Friday afternoon.   (the other advantage of being close to Warminster was that we had a bomb disposal unit on our doorstep, a couple of times that was very handy even tho' they turned out to be false alarms).

Anyway it's precipitating down outside but shopping, posting, and a bank visit are still on the agenda.  Have a good day folks.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Back from the expedition to Asda with mixed results.  

I got there, dropped SWMBO off then went to collect the parcel which turned out to be some etches from PPD, very fast turnaround and Il Dottere will be pleased as the windows that he needs for the yard Office are on there.   Then back to Asda, waited for the boss the arrive at the checkouts then returned to the car to find a parking ticket on the windscreen.  I'd forgotten to put the Bosses badges on display when I parked the car up.  Anyway after talking to the trolley collector I found the 'parking attendant' hiding in his car, sitting as low in the seat as he could manage.  I very politely asked if there was anything he could do but got the surly reply, of 'write to head office' followed by 'who told you I was here'.  I walked off but warned the trolley collector.  I've now got to get a letter written to the company.  I don't fancy paying £35.  Anyway that and various tidying jobs beckon this afternoon as noises are being made about the number of bit of Green Ayre on the approach to my modelling room.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

My other half isnt in best of moods at the moment. her mum fell and broke her leg (in the same place she fell at a neighbours a day or so previous) so just found out she will now be in hospital for at least two weeks and six weeks no driving. Her father is partially sighted and cant walk much after a stroke that he had when we were on our way back form Warley show in 2012.

So my other half is having ot go back down to visit them this Saturday. (Luckily I am only helping Warbonnet with his layout that day rather than one of my layouts out or any show with an overnight stop).

To add to that news shes in trouble for giving some one at work the wrong internal contact details (a mountain out of a mole hill me thinks).

So I decided to cheer her up and say we will go to the pub tonight!!!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Then back to Asda, waited for the boss the arrive at the checkouts then returned to the car to find a parking ticket on the windscreen.  I'd forgotten to put the Bosses badges on display when I parked the car up.  Anyway after talking to the trolley collector I found the 'parking attendant' hiding in his car, sitting as low in the seat as he could manage.  I very politely asked if there was anything he could do but got the surly reply, of 'write to head office' followed by 'who told you I was here'.  I walked off but warned the trolley collector.  I've now got to get a letter written to the company.  I don't fancy paying £35.   

Jamie

Has the Parking A**hole - sorry - Attendant got a photo? If not, argue the badge WAS on the dashboard..... ;)

polybear

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I got there, dropped SWMBO off then went to collect the parcel which turned out to be some etches from PPD, very fast turnaround and Il Dottere will be pleased as the windows that he needs for the yard Office are on there.   Then back to Asda, waited for the boss the arrive at the checkouts then returned to the car to find a parking ticket on the windscreen.  I'd forgotten to put the Bosses badges on display when I parked the car up.  Anyway after talking to the trolley collector I found the 'parking attendant' hiding in his car, sitting as low in the seat as he could manage.  I very politely asked if there was anything he could do but got the surly reply, of 'write to head office' followed by 'who told you I was here'.  I walked off but warned the trolley collector.  I've now got to get a letter written to the company.  I don't fancy paying £35.  Anyway that and various tidying jobs beckon this afternoon as noises are being made about the number of bit of Green Ayre on the approach to my modelling room.

Jamie

If that was Asda's car park then I would contact Asda and if they do nothing go to another supermarket in future!!

• RMweb Premium

Back after a cold and wet nine holes. Hot coffee and a bath will do nicely, thank you.

Pah! Some of us survived 18 holes in the driving rain. I believe its called madness.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 2

Note to self: do not accept invitations to a nine year old's birthday party, no matter: 1) how charmingly phrased it is, 2) the considerable goodwill you feel towards her, 3) her mother's text message saying 'hope you can make it despite your somewhat conflicting prior engagement'. I am a broken man, following the parachute games, the rounders, bean bag relay, encore of the parachute games by propular demand. OTOH, after this experience of 'the young people today' I am yet again boundlessly optimistic for the future.

Excellent rain for the soft fruit, all my water butts brimming, wonderful.

...returned to the car to find a parking ticket on the windscreen.  I'd forgotten to put the Bosses badges on display when I parked ...I found the 'parking attendant' hiding in his car... I very politely asked if there was anything he could do but got the surly reply, of 'write to head office' ... I've now got to get a letter written to the company.  I don't fancy paying £35...

If you have a loyalty card (if Asda operate one) quote the number, alternatively work out the value of your annual spend with them. The 'pile it highs' are all under pressure for maintaining sales revenue, and your £50+ a week, if a regular user for your main shop, is significant over the year...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I came home and found a message from Aditi saying she would be home early this evening as she has been directed this afternoon to attend a course (on equality and diversity) in East Ham which is nearer home. Possibly a box ticking exercise from HR as she has been responsible for staff and students in one of the country's more diverse colleges for about a year now without creating any incidents. Tomorrow is her annual review. Hopefully there won't be too many reasons to resign (though I would be rather pleased if she retired). I think that part of the problem is that the person she is deputy to can't grasp the fact that deputy head does not mean assistant to do stuff he wants done. They have clear and distinct responsibilities.

Edited by Tony_S

Has the Parking A**hole - sorry - Attendant got a photo? If not, argue the badge WAS on the dashboard..... ;)

polybear

On the subject of blue badges, my wife has one now she has had her other hip replaced and walking for her is very difficult and impossible without a stick. Her present badge expired at the end of April and as she did not receive a reminder, she rang to enquire why during the third week of that month. She was told that a reminder had been sent out but she could book an interview to get the badge renewed. The date offered was June 6th. When she protested that was such a long time hence, she was offered a cancellation, May 22nd!

On Saturday May 9th last, she received a letter addressed to a Miss Valerie Wass. It informed this person that as her blue badge was about to expire, she should book an appointment. Also she could not use her badge after the expiry date and if she didn't require it any more she could return it to them. To say my wife was angry would be an understatement! She rang on the following Monday morning and received a very polite and understanding response and an assurance the person concerned would be told of their error.

It would seem various authorities have realised they have issued far too many blue badges for various reasons and now they are desperate to retrieve some of them.

A fellow RM'r , a good friend of mine, is a senior officer with the Dept. of Works and Pensions  and he has given us valuable advice. As my wife cannot now use her blue badge, she has to park where and when she can officially. Evidently first question she is due to be asked at her interview is, "Did you have trouble parking and where did you park?". The wrong answer would be "I had to park xx yards away". This will taken as an admission as to how far she can walk. Needless to say, I shall be driving on that day. 

I shall say no more on this subject!

Edited by Judge Dread

• RMweb Premium

If you have a loyalty card (if Asda operate one) quote the number, alternatively work out the value of your annual spend with them. The 'pile it highs' are all under pressure for maintaining sales revenue, and your £50+ a week, if a regular user for your main shop, is significant over the year...

Thanks for all the comments and useful hints..  I will be writing to the parking company but copying my letter to Asda reminding them of how much we use their facilities and our annual spend.   For us Asda is more convenient than the lcal Morrisons due to the fact that the car park is more level, which is easier for my wife.   I was going to write the letter this afternoon but she's gone out, with the badges.   It will have to wait.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Note to self: do not accept invitations to a nine year old's birthday... OTOH, after this experience of 'the young people today' I am yet again boundlessly optimistic for the future...

I too am optimistic for the future. I dislike all the doom and gloom about the "young people today".
  • Like 2

Haven't posted for a few days but have been keeping up.

Colin - sorry to hear about Coolio; cats and pets in general become a part of our lives and we miss them when they go. Our black cat, Molly, is 17 but bearing up.

Been busy organising mum's 90th birthday party for next Monday (not so many games planned as at your recent party 34B/D) and getting the slideshow sorted. Could never have done this without the MacBook (or other pooter); it was scanning the old b&w and colour pics that took the time. Found myself chatting regularly with my gran and grandad (I lived with them and my mum) and feeling very emotional inside wishing they were still here. But at 119 and 121 years old respectively...

Last night went to see hippy noodlers Ozric Tentacles in Glasgow. A great gig, amazing film/lightshow - think the Floyd's film for their Wish You Were Here/Dark Side of The Moon tour in '74 then psychedelicize it up and you get the picture. Gig was made memorable by being in a smallish venue with just 200-300 in the audience. Really good vibe. Unfamiliar with the band? Think Steve Hillage Gong without vocals and expand the weirdness a little. Only had a Tuborg, just the one. Small gigs are so much better than stadiums or sheds - we saw Jeff Buckley in a small club here in Edinburgh in '94, and Martyn Bennett around 10 years later. Just made the last train home.

Hope you're feeling better Andyram. Jock, you too. Be better when May gets more like May and shows some warmth.

Mal

• Like 14

.... Evidently first question she is due to be asked at her interview is, "Did you have trouble parking and where did you park?". The wrong answer would be "I had to park xx yards away".

The right answer is on the lines of 'I didn't go, as it is a struggle from the nearest of the disabled parking places'. My MiL required considerable coaching in this, as she comes from the 'never complain, struggle on regardless' generation. The fact that 50 yards is all her inoperable arthritic knee and hip can manage - followed by fifteen minutes rest -and that she is legally blind are minor inconveniences, and not to be thought of.

Evening all, a strange thing happened about ten minutes ago, I am watching the program on BBC4 about Easter Island when the TV set switched off. It only took a few seconds to switch it on again but its a mystery what happened. The set is near the patio windows and the curtains were drawn back so I'm wondering if it was a stray signal from somewhere.

Phil - is it by chance a Sony Bravia? The reason I ask is that we have had the same problem over a period of around 3 weeks about two weeks ago, and are wondering about the same thing regarding stray signals - our other thought is that across the road is a street lamp and we thought it might be something to do with a start pulse or similar - It turns off at 10 pm and switches itself back on around 10 seconds later

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Shortliner but my set is a Toshiba. I think I might have identified the cause anyway, I have an old TV set that is waiting to be collected by a charity shop, this lunchtime some old newspapers that were on it fell to the floor taking the remote for the old set with them, a quick check revealed that the old remote would also switch off the new set, I think they must have slipped a bit last night. The old remote is now wrapped in bubble wrap and taped to the old set. The car has now got its set of new boots and it was the tyres that was causing the steering to pull to the left. One of the tyres if you looked along the tread you could see one side was concave and the other side convex, this would not have been visible when I inspected them with the weight of the car on them, the tyre fitter said it was typical pot hole damage. The place where I went to get my new tyres is in Russel Gardens Wickford, when I saw the name it rang a small bell, so I checked and the 'bell' was that this was were the factory that built the first McKewan-Pratt petrol locomotives (1905-10) was, so I kept an eye out for any trace of the factory. Lo and behold the factory was still there nowadays producing conservatories, it is on the right as you turn into Russel Gardens from Wick Lane and is still much the same as when it was photographed from the air in the 1920's. If you want to look it up on Google Earth it is just south of the Wick Lane/Russel Gardens junction just south of the over bridge on the Southminster branch and alongside and parallel to the Southend line.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 6