The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Noises of an emerging proper job breakfast are coming from the kitchen so I might suddenly depart, yum!

Pete - urban muntjac seem quite common.  We have one in the garden quite frequently although as certain growing veg is now 'protected' it might not reappear this year.  Our record at any one time was 5 in the front garden busying themselves one Christmas Eve trying to get at the contents of a couple of bird feeders.  Some say they are quite good to eat although I seriously doubt a .177 airgun would do the first stage of the job.

Have a good day one & all - we might be heading out for a riverside walk, which could be quite entertaining if some of the usual sunny Sunday goings on occur with certain visitors from the Reading area.

Mike, drop me a pm will you.  Don't think my emails are getting through to you.

Dale.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Decided after all not to go to the Bromley Pageant of Motoring and had a long soak in the bath instead. The next three weekends are 'booked' anyway and I'm getting to an age where you can have too much of a good thing.

A quickie to say arrived safely last night. Ferry crossing relatively smooth as we had the wind and waves behind us. Jock, the Stranraer to Dumfries road has been much improved of late, particularly the western end. This gives the unmarked police cars more opportunity to stop unsuspecting truck drivers! The huge articulated truck (carrying cattle) in front of me was pulled over by a black BMW. He was the middle vehicle in a convoy of vans doing about sixty, but as there is a limit of forty for trucks over 7.5T on that section, he was the one that got pulled over. Despite a few slow cars holding up the 'commercial traffic', I made good time, Cairnryan to Drumlanrig in a little over two hours, not bad for 100 miles!

Sunshine and showers at the moment. I believe we are about to go to the boys rugby club in Dumfries this morning for an end of season shindig. I understand that water fights are on the agenda, so I had better go suitably prepared.

Steph has picked up the car and says it is running like a dream. Thank goodness for that!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• Like 17

Afternoon all,

Quick visit as apparently WE shouldn't waste this good weather when there are so many things still to be done in the garden!

Pete75C, you haven't made the mistake of paying the electrician up front by any chance?

Station Cat, hope there are lots of pictures being taken on your trip - are the connections all working as planned?

John(KB), pleased you got to the town where I was born without major incident. Your comment about the truck being 'pulled in' reminded me of when I was staying with my Gran there in the seventies - her Dumfries house was on the road to Stranraer and the police stopped a large livestock articulated lorry with Irish plates for speeding nearby, only to discover that the Irish driver was not only without a licence, he was only just fifteen years old. He claimed that, as it was his father's truck and business, he'd done the trip quite often!! Hope you enjoy your time with the family.

AndrewC, what an absolute bunch of '............' (Put an epithet of your choice there!) that company are. They seem to treat their staff as if they were idiots - do they retain a large legal department, as I think they might need it! I feel you've probably made the right choice ultimately as any prospective employer would prefer to hire someone they think is making a move as a career choice, rather than just 'looking for work'. Good luck with the knee meanwhile, with all this travel to the land of the dragon.

Mick(NB), hope your tournament and barbecue go well.

Jamie, fingers crossed for a superb open day at the club, will your disabled friend be there as well? I take it that superb 2P 'work in progress' will be centre stage.

Enjoy what's left of Sunday,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 14

No I certainly haven't Jock. When he does present the final bill, I shall be very tempted to make him wait fourteen weeks for payment. I'm working on my excuses now (similar to the ones I've had to listen to from him).

"The dog's sick"

"Van's broken"

"Wife's not well"

"Hurt my ankle"

"Norwich are playing at home"

"The clocks changed"

"Wednesday's never a good day for me"

...and so on.

Great idea Pete, as the old saying goes - 'don't get mad, get even!' I might consider hiring a different one for the next job!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Well. Breaking the rules, I know, but I posted this question as a separate thread and got no answers. I know the people here will at least let me know if they don't know!

I was very impressed by a bogie coach made from two Hornby 4-wheelers on Niles' Freelance thread, and I'd like to do similar.

However, being new and naive I'm not sure which type of bogie to choose if I want to use Kadee couplers - which bogies have NEM pockets?

Having put Kadees into a few vehicles which have NEM pockets I'm impressed. Much better than when I was chimping them up in the 80s...

• RMweb Gold

Well. Breaking the rules, I know, but I posted this question as a separate thread and got no answers. I know the people here will at least let me know if they don't know!

I was very impressed by a bogie coach made from two Hornby 4-wheelers on Niles' Freelance thread, and I'd like to do similar.

However, being new and naive I'm not sure which type of bogie to choose if I want to use Kadee couplers - which bogies have NEM pockets?

Having put Kadees into a few vehicles which have NEM pockets I'm impressed. Much better than when I was chimping them up in the 80s...

The US fraternity seldom put Kadees on bogies (trucks in US parlance). Mounting them to the vehicle body has a much better chance of reliable operation. What Hornby does on its Maunsells is, like Roco, add an "intelligent" turn to the Kadee, but this may not be so easy to do when you are building from, as it were, scratch.

• RMweb Premium

We also have an open T4D-MC car, numbered 1600, on our roster, which was working a sightseeing tour a few minutes from our place a while ago:

img_3036coomd.jpg

For sightseeing tours (generally offered on Saturdays and Sundays but also available for charter on any other date), we also have 1700, 1800 and trailer 700 with panoramic glazing, which are, obviously, better suited for less than optimal weather. Here, 1700 was stabled in the car shed:

img_30223okm6.jpg

• Like 17

Personally, in my experience, bogie-mounts are a severe pain in the posterior - any wagons I get with them, (usually Lifelike with those #****### horn-hooks!) get two immediate bench jobs -  transfer to kadees, and change to body-mounts - yes it adds to the cost but, the improvement in running is immediate and obvious

The US fraternity seldom put Kadees on bogies (trucks in US parlance). Mounting them to the vehicle body has a much better chance of reliable operation. What Hornby does on its Maunsells is, like Roco, add an "intelligent" turn to the Kadee, but this may not be so easy to do when you are building from, as it were, scratch.

Thanks, Ian and Jack. That makes a lot of sense, as well as being easier, as I can position the bogies a little way in and it will be easier to fit the boxes to a flat floor.

I'm looking at attaching the coach bodies to a NS or brass floor, with U-channel representing solebars and detail soldered on. I can bolt the Kadee boxes onto that.

Jack - do you use the central hole (I must admit I've done that) or the two little fixing holes?

>edited<

Edited by Smiffy2

• RMweb Gold

Apparently Sherry found Tom and Phil on board, is having a good goss about cruises and everything else in life. Suits me!

Aditi and I had an early morning chat about cruises this morning too. She seems keen to start her retirement with a cruise somewhere "warmish". This bodes well for her actually going through with retiring! Though I put in the complication of that if she retires at the end of October she will be entitled to 1/6 th of her annual leave! She was concerned about how to negotiate with HR. I suggested telling them if this is too complicated go at the beginning of September just before the training for staff on how to survive the inspection! The pension application stuff is all online anyway.

We said we wouldn't go away this summer so that we could be at home to support Matthew while he commits his time to getting his dissertation done for LSE before departing to the Netherlands, but he seems more relaxed about it now so we may do a quick trip somewhere near the French/Belgian coast or somewhere flyable from Southend Airport.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Jack - do you use the central hole (I must admit I've done that) or the two little fixing holes?

>edited<

I am clearly a bad person. I have usually glued the Kadee draft box to the body.

Tea break and been thinking of my post last night to Neil ref. bikes not running in bad weather at the TT, but like a p*at, I had quite forgotten that the restriction when it's extremely windy, or visibility is poor, relates to the grounding of the medi-vac helicopters which of course, we didn't have years ago! They are undoubtedly life savers. I'm not sure I would enjoy being in charge of the road closing decisions although I guess most locals are used to it?

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 1

I am clearly a bad person. I have usually glued the Kadee draft box to the body.

Me too. But where you are attaching to metal (which will have soldering done) or to that rather slippery plastic which makes the chassis retaining plate on a Bachmann J72, I resort to small screws. It also helps when fettling for height.

Thanks, Ian and Jack. That makes a lot of sense, as well as being easier, as I can position the bogies a little way in and it will be easier to fit the boxes to a flat floor.

I'm looking at attaching the coach bodies to a NS or brass floor, with U-channel representing solebars and detail soldered on. I can bolt the Kadee boxes onto that.

>edited<

I use the Kadee drill and tap and either athearn (or similar from ebay) 2-56 screws through the central hole -  I have seen a mount a couple of times that has two prongs that those two little holes fit over but not recently - the other advantage it stops those little metal clips coming off and the coupler dropping out prompting a hunt on the layout for two missing bits! A search for 2-56 screws on ebay.co.uk will also find UK suppliers, BTW be aware that the screws come on various lengths - and the one you need is rarely the one you have available!!!

post-6688-0-00641000-1433682492.jpg

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pete - urban muntjac seem quite common.  We have one in the garden quite frequently although as certain growing veg is now 'protected' it might not reappear this year.  Our record at any one time was 5 in the front garden busying themselves one Christmas Eve trying to get at the contents of a couple of bird feeders.  Some say they are quite good to eat although I seriously doubt a .177 airgun would do the first stage of the job.

The rules for England and Wales.

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species – a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

I presume that in the second line they mean all OTHER deer.

Now off to make scones for afternoon tea.

We shall be taking it on the lawn, and may even indulge in a spot of croquet. (the game not the cooked potato variant)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just had a Deb moment - the first for a long time, actually. Amazing how something trips you up.

In this case a wheelchair-user has joined Club Arnage, and is coming to Le Mans this year. He has posted that he had read a most useful article by Deborah Dudley. Not all of us do good things after we are dead...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just had a Deb moment - the first for a long time, actually. Amazing how something trips you up.

In this case a wheelchair-user has joined Club Arnage, and is coming to Le Mans this year. He has posted that he had read a most useful article by Deborah Dudley. Not all of us do good things after we are dead...

I'm not sure how I would feel if I were in your place, but I could imagine it to be a kind of feeling that everything around you has stopped the moment the realisation has set in...

• RMweb Gold

On UK stuff I tend to mount the Kadees on the bogies. where Hornby coaches have an NEM box they are at the correct height. However many Bachmann NEM coach bogies are at the incorrect height so I drill a hole in the NEM Kadee and mount under the Bachmann NEM box.