The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. Bright and breezy at the moment but meant to be quite warm later.

Late on parade by choice today. Meetings with 2 potential clients which may bring in more local work.

Mick - Congratulations on the hole in one. I played for several years and never came close.

Jamie - It sounds like the op went well. At least you can justify a bit more modelling time at the moment.

Ed - Life is full of what ifs. I hope this one doesn't cause too many problems.

Dave - Some stunning photos and well composed

Have a good day everyone

• Like 14

Morning all from a very warm and sunny* Scottish HQ!

Again, been missing in action.  Hopefully beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel (and hoping it's not someone from First Minister's office with a torch and more work).  After 12.30 it should be the start of the downhill slope to the weekend.  I've spent a large chunk of this week researching and drafting briefing for FMQs (First Minister's Questions) - Question 5 today is my policy area and Mr Swinney will be answering as FM's still on her schmooze cruise in the USA.

Hope everyone's as well as can be expected - congratulations on holes in one and other successes, commiserations on everything else including pesky links courses and operated-on-bits. (And that's just what I've spotted from this page!)

A Baby Deltic arrived on my desk on Tuesday but I've not had time yet to unpack it and have a look. It was too good a bargain to miss at £69 including postage.

Was hoping I might have won on the Euromillions but alas, no.  Had my eye on this little pad nearby. http://search.knightfrank.co.uk/edn140208

Smiffy (sorry - my quotes aren't working) - surely the feast of St Leger is October 2nd? And the horse race is the last of the summer... Today's the feast of Ascotgoldcup...

Have fun and stay safe!

*for Scotland

Edited by sixoh8sixoh
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A tale of two golfers - interesting stuff and well done Mick and commiserations Gordon (hint - Eastwood Town is waiting in the wings :jester: )

Another thrilling day ahead as I'm told we are 'going shopping'.  I was also told this yesterday but was then caught completely off-guard as having set sail I was directed to Waitrose, and it was definitely not Friday.   Today we are going to Tesco in order to rebuild our alcohol stocks among other essentials - so I'm told.  Anyway at least the Waitrose visit enabled me to pop into the surgery and actually secure an appointment with the Doctor - the one I have been trying to make since 21 May (and the earliest I could get was 30 June!).

And yes, I can remember when my parents and grandparents etc were saying how lucky we were to have the NHS - so very true but I increasingly get the impression that nowadays it is too much taken for granted (but then I would get very political so I'll pop off to read threads about toy trains - no chance of any rows breaking out there  :no: )

Have a  good day one & all

• Like 15

Morning all,

So, yesterday saw me head to The Smoke for a Meeting whilst wearing a Suit. And I though those days were behind me!  :dontknow: 

The Meeting generated a huge amount of paperwork for me to complete. I'm given to understand that that makes it a successful Meeting.  

I was somewhat surprised to see a train in Southern livery in the bay platform at Aldershot, a service to G'ford perhaps; thought that was the purview of SWT.

Perhaps they just borrowed it, or were trying out one of those "What if" concepts that railway modellers are prone to.  ;) 

Anyway, more importantly, the weather is glorious and sunny and i shall shortly take the roof off the car and potter in to town.

Have a nice day everyone.

Andy 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dom,

Interesting that you call them "cars". Before the idiots revered city fathers in Glasgow ripped up all the tram lines, people in Glasgow did not take "a tram" to their destination - they took "the car" (usually pronounced "caur").

Slightly related, I was watching a TV program about a very old vehicle tunnel under the river in Hamburg. While watching the program I realized the Hamburg tunnel was very similar to the Finnieston Tunnel under the Clyde in Glasgow. As it turns out, the people of Hamburg were so impressed by the Glasgow tunnel, they they made one similar. The Glasgow tunnel has not been used for a very long time while the Hamburg tunnel is still operating!

We usually refer to individual cars as "Wagen", which, well, translates as "car"! There usually seems to be a differentiation between turns worked by single cars such as the NGT8s which (except for 1101) aren't configured for running with trailers currently, or by formations of, for example, Leoliner cars or T4Ds, the latter of which can indeed be heard being referred to as "trains."

As for the tunnel in Hamburg, I suspect you might refer to the St. Pauli Tunnel (which was opened in 1911)?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

So, yesterday saw me head to The Smoke for a Meeting whilst wearing a Suit. And I though those days were behind me!  :dontknow:

The Meeting generated a huge amount of paperwork for me to complete. I'm given to understand that that makes it a successful Meeting.  

I was somewhat surprised to see a train in Southern livery in the bay platform at Aldershot, a service to G'ford perhaps; thought that was the purview of SWT.

Perhaps they just borrowed it, or were trying out one of those "What if" concepts that railway modellers are prone to.   ;)

Anyway, more importantly, the weather is glorious and sunny and i shall shortly take the roof off the car and potter in to town.

Have a nice day everyone.

Andy 

Thats unsusual seeing a Southern train in Aldershot unless its a 456 two car that was transferred to SWT but thought they would all be repainted by now.

I remember doing one of the car runs to the sun to Newquay back in the late 80's It was glorious weather so the blokes in an old American car took the roof off - with a saw. They then couldn't open the doors after that.

afternoon all, a flying visit. I'm working in sunny Sidcup today as Mrs Lurker is on a course learning how to make pasta etc at Waitrose cookery school- vouchers were a present. I dropped Younger Lurker off at school and attended the class assembly which happened to be today and will pick him up later. When I add in travelling time it seemed more beneficial to wrk from home - certainly less interruptions, and I managed to get hold of an elusive contact at HMRC and make some good progress there.

good t hear about a hole in one and I am glad that the arthroscopy went well.

Enjoy the day all, I'm off up the road to acquire something for lunch - and we have run out of teabags too so they need to be replenished before I make Mrs Lurker a cuppa this evening!

• Like 9

We usually refer to individual cars as "Wagen", which, well, translates as "car"! There usually seems to be a differentiation between turns worked by single cars such as the NGT8s which (except for 1101) aren't configured for running with trailers currently, or by formations of, for example, Leoliner cars or T4Ds, the latter of which can indeed be heard being referred to as "trains."

We have a Leoliner in Tokyo too :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

My neighbour is phobic about bees. She appeared on my doorstep looking quite distressed as there was significant buzzing from their lounge chimney.

I went round with some plywood to block the fireplace to replace the dog bed that she had stuffed up the chimney. I could hear some buzzing. Her husband will sort it out now when he gets home.

• Like 11

My neighbour is phobic about bees. She appeared on my doorstep looking quite distressed as there was significant buzzing from their lounge chimney.

I went round with some plywood to block the fireplace to replace the dog bed that she had stuffed up the chimney. I could hear some buzzing. Her husband will sort it out now when he gets home.

Hope it's not a fuse!

Some more thinking on future layout building. At the moment the thoughts are back to building Swanage in N scale rather than a mainline through station as Swanage will only require 4 boards to set up and if need be can be taken to shows with just three operators although four still preferred. Also a good excuse to make a few more trips down to that town!!!

Ballard Down will make a great backdrop/hidey hole for fiddle yard etc.,.

• Like 2

I was under the impression that the cure was to light a fire and then hold the plywood with a small clearance - so that there is a rapid draw up the chimney! I know bees are in decline - but I'm not sure what other solution is available
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm a licensed bee-keeper.  Can I help?

I got a hole in one on the mini-golf in Newquay.Does that count?

Ed

Far too many years ago, and a little on the young side to legitimately "score a hole in one" of the more socially entertaining kind, I was part of a family group disporting themselves in Bournemouth's Lower Pleasure Gardens which included a round on the all-tarmac, almost all straight-putt "mini golf".  A misnomer if ever there was one.  But I returned a "card" of 27 for 18 holes which surprised one or three people (myself included!) though I had enough witnesses to support the fact.  Given that there was a 3 on there I leave to your arithmetic how many singles there were ;)

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that the cure was to light a fire and then hold the plywood with a small clearance - so that there is a rapid draw up the chimney! I know bees are in decline - but I'm not sure what other solution is available

I think the most common bees I have seen so far are members of the solitary bee type. I can't imagine vast stores of honey up the chimney which is a good reason apparently not to light a fire. However the fire appears to be one of those open hearth gas fires. My neighbour Becky, although phobic about bees wouldn't want to hurt them. I have closed off access to the lounge. Her husband Tom will sort it out. He is good at dealing with bee invasions!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Fire kills bees.  Smoke pacifies them.  We use smoke around hives because we are basically robbing their homes and they can become angry - though a good hive knows their keepers and will seldom attack.

I've PM'd Tony with some advice.

• Like 4

Afternoon all,

Poor start to the day as the accursed vomiting/diahorrea bug appears to have returned with a vengeance, a bit inconvenient as we've got four year old Freddie and one year old Amalie staying overnight and tomorrow so I could do to be on top form! Just have to get on with it!

Sad to hear that Sir Christopher Lee died on Sunday morning, although his wife has just announced the news! I suppose 93 is a good innings and incredibly, he had just signed up to make another film about 9/11 beginning in November, as well as having recently released his second 'heavy metal' album! Apparently his parents were opera singers and he inherited his superb voice, which he saw as a gift, from them! RIP.

Wondered if Pete(trisonic) had heard any of Mr Townsend's latest venture - 'Classical Quadrophenia'. They've been playing chunks of it on Classic FM for the last couple of days.

Ed, our younger lives are littered with disappointments such as you mention, although whilst attending my father's funeral at Harlow Crematorium a few years ago, the boot was on the other foot. I met a lady who I hardly recognised until she spoke and was sadly reminded that I had treated her rather shabbily many years ago! My keen interest in the opposite sex, hardly yet undimmed, has meant many such events in either sense, as I too can recall several 'what ifs' - all part of making you the person you are today.

Probably won't manage to look in much for the next day or so so please take the usual comments as read and, as Arnie said, I'll be back!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

Just downloaded a couple of pics from my mum's 90th from 25 May. A sunny day but chilly, the party was at the Prestonfield House Hotel on the southern side of Arthur's Seat/Holyrood Park. One of the table looking across to the French doors and access to the garden (no it's not me) and another of the cake. They said the cake would feed around 30 but didn't say how huge the pieces would be... for some perspective it was 12" diameter.

post-4951-0-73120600-1434029432_thumb.jpgpost-4951-0-94192000-1434029447_thumb.jpg

A fabulous day here today as hot as yesterday.

Hope it's good for all, including holes-in-one and SFMQs.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 19