The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

It's a case of;  Windows 10, Doors 0

When the prospect of software on trains became a real possibility, the then (1990) BRB technical specs for new trains specifically precluded 'the use of windows or other commercially available operating systems' (sic) in control systems.

How times have changed?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When the prospect of software on trains became a real possibility, the then (1990) BRB technical specs for new trains specifically precluded 'the use of windows or other commercially available operating systems' (sic) in control systems.

How times have changed?

It was just a flippant remark.

I don't for one minute think they use windows, do they?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

To connect to Ashley Madison, of course.

Best, Pete.

I guess said firm must use windows for its security.

Anyone had their details published yet?

I guess said firm must use windows for its security.

Anyone had their details published yet?

Not I, of course (who needs help?)

I’ve seen a couple of SNP members - we should ask Mike..............

Best, Pete.

• Like 4

Afternoon all,

Just a quick visit to say that the young lady who is shaving her head to raise funds for the MacMillan organisation, apparently inspired by me, is doing the deed at 8.30am tomorrow. Her husband and his grandson are joining her and will also become bald! For anyone who missed my previous mention of this, Sarah is the lady who walked arm in arm with me in the 'Relay for Life', and despite being rendered barren by cancer, and then a couple of years later having a double mastectomy with reconstruction because of breast cancer, she has decided to raise money for this worthwhile cause in my name! Her bravery is amazing. If anyone would like to make a gesture, however small, here is the link http://www.bravetheshave.org.uk/. Simply click on this, then scroll down to the green box 'Donate to a brave shaver' and type in her surname 'Ireland', then find the panel with 'Sarah Ireland' in it, and click on 'view'. This takes you to the 'Donate' page where you simply press the button 'Donate' and follow the instructions. Even tiny amounts add up, and I believe you'll be able to use any surplus in your PayPal account for instance. Joanna and I are going along to support her with envelopes with donations to all three, as MacMillan have been really helpful to us. They were also very supportive when Joanna lost her father, younger sister and nephew to pancreatic cancer and so we feel we should join in despite the fact that we have a monthly standing order running for them as well as Cancer research.

I apologise if anyone feels that I am wrong to put this appeal on here, and I certainly don't wish to cause any embarrassment. I am assured that all data is confidential and secure. Please completely ignore this if you want and forgive my cheek, I realise that many of you support 'pet' charities regularly as we do.

Thanks for troubling to read this,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the Marie Celeste Scottish HQ.  Our team actually appears to be the only one in the room with more than a token attendance.

Thanks all for the suggestions yesterday on the database / spreadsheet question.  Jock - thanks for the link to that software.  I had a look, but it seems to be Windows-exclusive and my home machines are Macs (I do have to use Windows at work so I'm "bilingual") so that one won't suit me.  Looks like I should just spend a bit of time making my spreadsheets look nicer then!  Maybe even try to work out how to do pivot tables...

Not much chance of a POETS day here as one of my colleagues is leaving and her leaving drinks are in the diary for 5-7 tonight...  I think I'll try to go for a lunchtime run though as my training has been sorely lacking this week.

I knew there was something else I should comment on.  I use a simple XL spreadsheet and give every item an accession number with a prefix such as L for Locos, C for coaches etc.  As many columns as you need for description, eg prototype, types of doors, length, number of axles, running number etc etc.  Then date purchased, value (SWMBO doesn't see this) and then a couple of  columns for storage location, eg tray number  and then the train that it goes in a two letter code, eg Scotch Express (SX) and the siding that it goes into on the fiddle yard.  I an then sort it by whatever field that I need.  The most interesting column is the status, from 0 on my wishlist, to 1 for kit bought, through to 5 for finished and painted.  It's nice at the end of the day to update that and see what the average status has crept up to.  You are very welcome to a coy if you wish.

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Anyway some good news to share.  You may have noticed that I was a bit down last night after fighting electrical gremlins on Green Ayre.  I felt carp this morning but made a start and lo and behold things have fallen into place and I have just had a 3P with two clerestories circling the layout again and again without coming off or stopping.   That is fabulous progress and has really lifted my spirits.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Anyway some good news to share.  You may have noticed that I was a bit down last night after fighting electrical gremlins on Green Ayre.  I felt carp this morning but made a start and lo and behold things have fallen into place and I have just had a 3P with two clerestories circling the layout again and again without coming off or stopping.   That is fabulous progress and has really lifted my spirits.

Jamie

I have been there recently. Got fed up not being able to resolve.

Came back to it a week later with a fresh mind and sorted the wiring straight away.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 13

How times have changed?

Windows always had a clause in the EULA that it wasn't allowed to be used for Safety Critical Software.

I don't know if that is still the case, but we use Unix based Operating Systems.

POETS morning from the "farm in southern Minnesota"...

Uneventful working day yesterday, and then a casual drive down to farm country.

Today the plan is to drive to "the House on the Rock" in Spring Green, Wisconsin - never been, supposed to be worth the trip/visit, then meander around some and stay in Dubuque overnight.

Have a good POETS day everyone.

• Like 13

Windows always had a clause in the EULA that it wasn't allowed to be used for Safety Critical Software.

I don't know if that is still the case, but we use Unix based Operating Systems.

AFAIK the software that actually 'controls' isn't Windows based, but the drivers GUI start up certainly did display the Windows icon.

Is the GUI part of the control system, I'd say yes but not safety critical.

Edited by leopardml2341

1 pint beer - 200 calories - 20 minutes running?

Good Luck Mike :)

Thanks Andy - 8K run done at lunchtime (though I had to do a couple of little walking sections). Skipped lunch as I had to go straight into a meeting following the run (and a shower) but then had cake...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

'Afternoon all from red-dragon-land-in-the-mist.
Windows 10, Visibility 0
Well, it was when I started but the internet is so slow - all those people on holiday while it's wet and windy.  Guess they've nothing better to do than use up all the bandwidth.  I protest. :mail:  :rtfm:   :mosking:

My "Dalek Invasion of the Routemaster" bus arrived in the post lunchtime (EFE bus with Typhoo Tea advert). 

NOTE to self: I MUST remember to post my order for the 207 destination blinds.  I MUST remember...

emoticon-tv-012.gif

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Windows 10, Visibility 0
Well, it was when I started but the internet is so slow - all those people on holiday while it's wet and windy.  Guess they've nothing better to do than use up all the bandwidth.  I protest. :mail:  :rtfm:   :mosking:

emoticon-tv-012.gifMy "Dalek Invasion of the Routemaster" bus arrived in the post at lunchtime (EFE bus with Typhoo Tea advert). 

NOTE to self: I MUST remember to post my order for the 207 destination blinds.  I MUST remember...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Windows 10, Visibility 0

emoticon-tv-012.gifMy "Dalek Invasion of the Routemaster" bus arrived in the post at lunchtime (EFE bus with Typhoo Tea advert). 

• Like 3