RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all. There does seem to be a few grey clouds hanging over ER right now. I do hope Geoff's wife is ok and all other medical appointments / operations are successful.

The school summer holiday is rapidly coming to a conclusion. I had hoped that today would have brought a final steam fling of the summer. I had plans to visit the Severn Valley Railway with a Mate of mine. Sadly the Gods had other ideas. Our 20 year old Burmese cat has got no better so Sarah decided, quite rightly, that a visit to the vets would be needed today. An 11.30am appointment scuppered any hope of making the SVR. That said trying to sort the cat's health is definitely more important. The gunk had started coming out of both nostrils and there was some blood too, so definitely not good. The vet has prescribed some antibiotics which need to be taken for a month. We have to monitor for two weeks and go back if no improvement. Fingers firmly crossed for the old girl.

• RMweb Premium

The 'new' Corsa (which has now been around for seemingly donkey's years) is only 6 inches shorter than an Astra!

However, from my experience with them, they don't have as much grunt as the older smaller version which was quite nippy.

If there are three burly blokes on board, I suggest you restrict the carry on and hold baggage weights in order to afford yourself a modicum of acceleration. :O

Thanks Richard it is rather lacking in the oomph department as I found out yesterday coming home up the hill. There's only 2 of us going but someone has scrounged a lift back on Sunday. I told him that he'll be squashed in the back. However he lives in a village up the valleys from Huddersfield and I was looking at the quickest route to drop him off. It's either Woodhead then hook a right or start Woodhead and head over Holme Moss. Isuspect that I will stick to Woodhead as my other passenger will not be able to get out and push.

Jamie

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Who is Victoria Derbyshire? I had never heard of her until a couple of weeks ago but now she seems to be everywhere. Is it something to do with soaps, reality TV or Twitter as I don't indulge in those things.

Ed

Sounds like a made-up name, designed to appeal to Middle England. Real name probably something like Gladys Shufflebucket (no offence intended to any Gladys or Shufflebucket who may be present).

Not a lot happening here. Martyn started back at school for year 11. Doom and gloom seemed to be the order of the day; I could almost see the little cloud over his head.

Best wishes for a good outcome to those with health problems and work-related gremlins, and belated birthday greetings to Tony.

Have a good day.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

'Sounds like a made-up name, designed to appeal to Middle England. Real name probably something like Gladys Shufflebucket (no offence intended to any Gladys or Shufflebucket who may be present).'

Fyi Victoria Derbyshire is a  tv journalist who has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer.

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a headache, possibly due to the rather stark weather change. Just 18°C and looking like more rain may be incoming. Had an appointment at the optician's for fine-tuning for my contact lenses. Think I'll now have a nap. Telegraph style off.

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, a new definition of morning - just had a call from the driver of the recovery vehicle saying that he had been held up this morning (knew that as I called the repairer for an update and apparently he had to change his route and go back to base first, then got caught by the drivers' hours break) and would now be here by 4.00.

No more news from Geoff, but he's in the wilds of Wales somewhere, I think, so perhaps out of touch - I do hope that all is well there.

I do agree with Flavio about the continual increases in life expecancy allowing some of the nastier diseases to catch us up - in my earlier years I recall seeing a cause of death printed in a history book as "griping of the guts", which could cover anything from an ulcer to stomach cancer, appendicitis, or anything else in between. 

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Best wishes and special thoughts to all those in particular need : Mal, Jock, Ian, Sherry, Geoff.

Belated felicitations to Tony.

Sometimes the nature of shift work catches up with me and I get a tad out of synch with reality.  It's just become Friday here but it's the middle of Thursday for many ERs.  Hope it proves to be a good 'un.

No trains will run between 10.00 and 14.00 today and there will be disruption for at least 90 minutes before and after those times.   Drivers may be attired differently to usual - I've seen one wearing a dalmatian onesie already!

Smile - it could make someone's day and it might change their life. :D

• Like 16

Afternoon all.

Yesterday's concert was a disappointment, the Messiaen wasn't bad, the Mozart was sweet, the Bruckner hugely underwhelming.

Also underwhelming is the international response to the Syrian crisis, especially the British response.  I won't type what I really think, because it could be taken as libellous, but for Christ's sake this is a humanitarian disaster not an immigration issue.  Cameron just appears sh1t scared of Farage mouthing off.  Germany is stepping up to the plate, Britain patently isn't.

Another point, I heard that French farmers have taken their tractors off to Paris, plus ca change

Last prom tonight, Mahler 4.  Keep well or get better.

Bill

• RMweb Premium
Yesterday's concert was a disappointment

Last prom tonight, Mahler 4. 

Hope you enjoy better tonight then, Bill. I never really managed to get into Mahler's work at all - perhaps I should try harder.  Mind, the first time I ever heard the other Gustav's magnum opus The Planets, it left me much the same way as I still feel about Mahler, so there's time...

Who is Victoria Derbyshire? I had never heard of her until a couple of weeks ago but now she seems to be everywhere. Is it something to do with soaps, reality TV or Twitter as I don't indulge in those things.

Ed

A journalist at the BBC recently given a longer-format news & current affairs slot straight after the morning platitudes.

A quick Google:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Derbyshire

She's worked for the BBC since 1998, occasionally presents Newsnight and Watchdog. She's good by the standards of TV journalism, usually well prepared and asks awkward questions. She is not 'made up'. She has also just been diagnosed with breast cancer, hence taking a number of breaks in presenting her programme.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Pete 75C

I've rated your post supportive as I'm pleased that the two Petes have had a virtual handshake and all is well.

However, I'd also rate it Like and Crafrsmanship if we had multiple ratings, as it's also a cracking pic and I like it.  Luckily Debs does not appear to be around at the moment, so no train alert warnings are needed.

• Like 2

Two round trips on the Ratty today, but both behind diesels.  It was noticeably colder than recent trips and I almost got out my gloves at one point.  Now rather miffed as while driving home, I had to get close in on the left hand side of a narrow road, and went over a stone or something. Front tyre now has a significant bulge, so will need to be replaced.  :cry:Now off to Model Club tonight to help put the finishing touches for our Open Day this weekend. 

Thinking of Geoff and Mal, hope ER provides some measure of support in tough times...

Missed the birthday - belated greetings Tony!

BIN day here, and right after I took them out got the call to retrieve the car. Apparently a "cam sensor" was the problem. Fixed and cheaper by far than the potential of a fuel pump, but still $400 lighter suddenly!

Started out at 20 and overcast, still overcast but slowly rising temperature. Given the heavy cloud cover I'm doubting the 31 we're supposed to reach...

On with the working day.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see the two Peter have sorted themselves put enjoy their posts.

Now in a hot sunny sticky Boston. Decided to have a ride round on the T and stumbled on this make shift brewery tap. Nearly walked past it as it's a collection of containers opposite a new development. Nice beers too.

post-1557-0-03770500-1441299608_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Just a flying visit... thanks to a tip-off from Dave (Beast), just nipped down to Tesco to get a shot of Mayflower arriving at Sheringham. I don't collect pictures of big green things, so thought I'd post it here. As you can see, the weather in Norf Norfolk is, as usual, cr*p and my photography skills are still mediocre.

Had a PM exchange with Pete t'other day and everything's sorted. Be good or be very very careful.

attachicon.gifmayflower_03092015.jpg

We don't get any of them at our branch of Tesco (mind you who'd want a bongo if they could whistle up a B16?)  nice pic tho' Pete.

• Like 5

Argg! I was about to head downstairs with my coffee when I saw a dead chipmunk that Shona had deposited on the rug in the living-room. I'm pretty sure it was her because as soon as I let them in, she ran to the place where I found it. She seemed a bit miffed that it had mysteriously disappeared.

A cousin lives in the country in Scotland. On one occasion his cat (called Gourock because it's face was "away to the side") dragged an enormous hare through the cat-flap and deposited it in the middle of the kitchen. It must have been quite a struggle because the cat flap was still attached around the middle of the hare.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

I, too, am happy to hear all disagreements have been cleared up! :yes:

Dinner of fried fish, rice and stewed savoy cabbage with chilli duly had. Now unwinding. Shifts on Saturday and Sunday morning, which I think should be interesting. I suppose they'll be fairly quiet as not that many people will be around, probably! On the other hand, it could well be that we'll be carrying a few revellers, most likely inebriated to some extent...

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I am glad our dinner is mainly something that can be reheated in the microwave. My brain hurts. I have managed to get through life with very little knowledge of advanced statistical techniques. These have been turned into a compulsory part of Matthew's course in Utrecht. He didn't get the email or the course knowledge prerequisites. He had done the prerequisites in Calgary a few years ago but has had two days to get up to speed on this. This has stressed him considerably and wasn't what he needed after the dissertation messing about that only finished a week ago. So thanks to Skype I have managed to get him back being OK. I can't really help with the stats but I can advise on how to cope. I got another call tonight saying he thinks it will be OK. I have ordered the same textbook so I can advise. Though it would have to be "talk to Mum" I think.

I think Matthew is exhausted, he has been working hard all summer and then his short break in Krakow wasn't very nice.

I am glad he had arranged to meet a friend in Amsterdam on Saturday, he will benefit from a change of scenery.

Now I know there are those who say one should let ones adult offspring go and make their own lives/mistakes but Matthew had some particularly nasty educational experiences (and a few health ones too) growing up I don't feel I can turn him loose yet and cease offering advice and support. Fortunately he really likes where he is living. It looks like a 20 something storey building made of blue and white Lego! The campus has everything and it doesn't take long to cycle to the centre of Utrecht.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Evening all. Good news. Just got back from Bangor hospital with Kath. After 24 hours of testing they decided she was fit to come out. All the blood tests proved good, blood pressure has fallen to 151 over 86, and the cardiologist changed his mind about keeping her in overnight. Somewhat farcical discharge system; I had a call to make sure I would be waiting in the Transfer Lounge. Wife was then brought down from the third floor in a wheelchair, brought into said lounge and handed over to me. She then stood up and walked out of the hospital with me. Now we know what is not wrong with her we just need to discover what is. She is however feeling much better and we will continue with the holiday. Both of us would like to thank you for all the support and good wishes you sent.

Stay safe all.

• Like 5