The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

There were two other Anthonys in my class at secondary school. All three of us had the h in our names pronounced, like Anth on ee I suppose. The "th" sound in South Essex would I suppose be more like an "eff" though.

Tony

Just like Anthony Hopkins, I suppose and many others.... I must ask the Tony in my family whether anyone ever pronounced his name Anth-ony..............

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Simple. It is not English. The name Anthony comes from the Italian peninsula where it is Antonio (and similar). The H was added in English centuries ago but it was always meant to be silent. I have a silent W in my name, I could I suppose pronounce  it as it is in German but I’m not from Germany.

Many other languages use the H in Anthony.

I’m not going to argue about it, if you disagree look it up.

Best, Pete.

Although my mother insisted on the aitch in my name I did know it hadn't been so in even the relatively recent past.

As for silent Ws were they always silent or where they once pronounced like the now silent k in knight (allegedly).

• Like 4

Tony (far easier),

It’s the separation of English/English and N.American English (again). Your Mother may have been frightened by an American actor, though Anthony Quinn’s son Sean (shawn) tells me he pronounced it Antony - but then again he may have originally spelled it that way too, being from Mexico. I didn’t like to suggest that he may have pronounced it both ways.

By the way the name has a beautiful origin with the Etruscans! How anyone knows how they pronounced it is beyond me.......

http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/anthony-burgess

Hit the appropriate English/American logo.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 9

Although my mother insisted on the aitch in my name I did know it hadn't been so in even the relatively recent past.

As for silent Ws were they always silent or where they once pronounced like the now silent k in knight (allegedly).

Oh, dear - I need to do some work on that “W” question......

B.P.

• Like 1

Two Anthony's in our street when I was young, so one was Tony and the other became Ant. 50 years on (!) I'm still in touch with Ant, who is still Ant to his family and me but Tony to everyone else. Not heard of the other one since. Neither pronounced the "h".

Ed

• Like 5

Two Anthony's in our street when I was young, so one was Tony and the other became Ant. 50 years on (!) I'm still in touch with Ant, who is still Ant to his family and me but Tony to everyone else. Not heard of the other one since. Neither pronounced the "h".

Ed

Someone agrees with me! The “H” was put into the English version of Antony or Antonio because it was erroneously decided that the name came from Greece.......that changed several centuries ago and then reiterated with the Etruscan connection. Hence it should be pronounced as Antony BUT if Tony’s Mom wanted his name pronounced Anth-ony that is within her rights....

I must say that I knew several Anthony’s at school too and they were always Antony, Tone or Tony - So I missed out on an Ant. Probably just as well.

Count your self lucky that no one called you ’Thon.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 8

Crikey - Neil's quite easy then.  Except the English like to spell it Neal.  As I'm a Jockinese/Manx gaelic cross I'll keep it my way thanks!  It's often Niall here, the pronunciation of which varies from Nye-all to kneel.

I thought of calling my second son Niall - but was overruled. 1st son is Stuart.

Have you seen that American prat, btw who thinks he is the King of Man(n)?

He may well be by birth but he forgets that it still requires the consent of the people before announcing that you are, in fact their King.

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

Unfortunately I was stuck in the classroom for the Scotland v Japan game. I was however keeping track of it on my phone.

Stewart - I hope that your recovery allows you to have a shower in 4 weeks time. Hopefully 30747 has a bit more movement after seeing the physioterrorist.

Dom - Here's hoping that Elise gets over the bug quickly.

Pete - I thought that I was the only sane person drinking coffee how it should be. I haven't got any original Eagle annuals but several reproductions are in my possession.

I could read and just about write when I started school. I also helped my younger sister to read. (There are times when I have regretted this).

If I have to be called something, it's always Mister. I never like being called Sir. I work for a living (all ex forces will know exactly what I mean)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I was supposed to be Philip Anthony but for some reason my Dad had me registered as Anthony Phillip! My sibling was going to be called Colin or Claire. I (aged 3 1/2) said I didn't want a sister and suggested 'Peter'. My brother really dislikes his name and insists on Pete. However the tiny Scottish niece he has aquired from marriage (third) calls him Uncle Petey. I notice that his wife now calls him Petey too!

• Like 9

He may well be by birth but he forgets that it still requires the consent of the people before announcing that you are, in fact their King.

Best, Pete.

I thought the whole point of the Monarchy was that it didn't.

Ed

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought of calling my second son Niall - but was overruled. 1st son is Stuart.

Best, Pete.

Yeah, he's ignored by all and sundry here!   I think no-one took him seriously when he 'applied'.  If he came here he would quickly find the second word he heard a lot was 'off'.  The average Manxie doesn't much like the fact QE2 is the Lord of Man, never mind a Yankee from Maryland.  I think the 'King' title went out of use when the island belonged to the Earl of Derby a looong time ago.  Which reminds me - where do you think the Derby horse races started......there's a clue above!

• Like 14

Unfortunately I was stuck in the classroom for the Scotland v Japan game. I was however keeping track of it on my phone.

Stewart - I hope that your recovery allows you to have a shower in 4 weeks time. Hopefully 30747 has a bit more movement after seeing the physioterrorist.

Dom - Here's hoping that Elise gets over the bug quickly.

Pete - I thought that I was the only sane person drinking coffee how it should be. I haven't got any original Eagle annuals but several reproductions are in my possession.

I could read and just about write when I started school. I also helped my younger sister to read. (There are times when I have regretted this).

If I have to be called something, it's always Mister. I never like being called Sir. I work for a living (all ex forces will know exactly what I mean)

I always found it "strange" to be called "sir" whilst sitting in court. I tended to look around to see if some-one else had arrived. I think I understand your dislike of the term also, would that be because you were a W.O.?

There was a similar exchange on a long ago episode of Star Trek when the rank of one of the characters  was so mistaken. 

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I think I have mentioned before that Aditi didn't get her name until she was five years old. Until then she was known as Ruby. There was (then) no registration of birth in India (there is now). Her family were traditional in allowing children to choose their own adult name. However the need for an official name for passports when they travelled to the UK in 1959 meant MiL needed to sort out her name and her sister's. Her sister Punam was until then known as "Sweetie". Now I really like her sister but Sweetie seems an unlikely name for 4'10" of concentrated aggression!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12

Simple. It is not English. The name Anthony comes from the Italian peninsula where it is Antonio (and similar). The H was added in English centuries ago but it was always meant to be silent. I have a silent W in my name, I could I suppose pronounce  it as it is in German but I’m not from Germany.

Many other languages use the H in Anthony.

I’m not going to argue about it, if you disagree look it up.

Best, Pete.

I'm not arguing, Pete (and 'm sorry if my post sounded as if I was). It's just that I was surprised that you found that pronunciation unusual, having heard it all my life.

Talking of UK/US differences in pronunciation, what about BERnard and BerNARD, or MAUreen and MauREEN?

• Like 8

To my students I insist on being known as John. I don't respond to Sir - I tell them that they're In a profession, or going to be, and although I'm currently teaching them in three years time they can be just as qualified as I am, hopefully more so, so get used to treating people as intellectual equals.

And when they say to me "I want to know what you know" I tell them that by merely doing that they lack ambition, flattering as it may seem. I temper that by saying that I'm three times their age and so I've had a lot longer to get to know things. They tend to accept that.

And my mum always told me that she chose John because it couldn't be shortened. Then in my childhood she found herself calling "Johnny!" down the street when she wanted me to come in.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick check in before another fairly early night - at present they seem to be what I need.

Haven't seen much from our Jock today?  Hopefully his normal nocturnal contribution will materialise.

30747 had a different therapist today and got on much better with her, and felt that the manipulation and massage were more effective, so she's continuing with the new one.

Nighty night

Stewart

(pronounced by most on the other side of the pond as Stooart)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

To my students I insist on being known as John. I don't respond to Sir - I tell them that they're In a profession, or going to be, and although I'm currently teaching them in three years time they can be just as qualified as I am, hopefully more so, so get used to treating people as intellectual equals.

And when they say to me "I want to know what you know" I tell them that by merely doing that they lack ambition, flattering as it may seem. I temper that by saying that I'm three times their age and so I've had a lot longer to get to know things. They tend to accept that.

And my mum always told me that she chose John because it couldn't be shortened. Then in my childhood she found herself calling "Johnny!" down the street when she wanted me to come in.

Matthew spent last year at the LSE. He said the Chinese and Indian students found it quite difficult to adapt to the informality of academic staff in the UK.