RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Been playing trains all afternoon... an eclectic mix of stock for Chapel en le Frith

how did an ICE get there??

Baz

Baz, You know I only looked at your avatar at a glance all this time -  for some reason I thought you had very long hair!!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I sincerely hope that you never need the fire buckets.

Not much of that sort of thing here, unless you're a certain person that is now in Government.....who once burned down a cottage he thought belonged to people from 'across' as a holiday home.  However, it was owned by  locals.....d'oh.  He has served his debt to society and is now a Minister...words fail me, but we can't talk politics in a nice place like this!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Baz, You know I only looked at your avatar at a glance all this time -  for some reason I thought you had very long hair!!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.

Pete

I am not on the picture... there are two Morris brothers and the owner of Grantham (LNER4479 on here) Graham. 

Last time i had long hair was 40 years ago at Uni in Leeds - then I had it cut short when I started playing rugby again!

Baz

• Like 12

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. I am just posting this on the IPad whilst sitting in Amber's room waiting for her to drift off to sleep, it is taking an age this evening. Sarah has already angrily given up so I have had to down laptop tools and the school work to take over. I do have a small glass of Glen Moray next to me so all is not too bad.

All smiles earlier thanks to Derby County actually playing as if they may fulfil their potential thanks to a 4-2 win over Wolves that could, and should, have been more.

A busy week ahead beckons with parents evenings to do. Hopefully it will go well, half term begins on Friday night. Good wishes for week ahead.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Two more return trips on the Ratty today, and very enjoyable they were, with one funny incident and one very sentimental.  The funny one was a passenger showing me a Ratty leaflet and asking if they could get off at Aira Force.  I had to politely explain that Aira Force is about 40 miles away and located near Ullswater, therefore we would not be able to oblige them.  The reason it is on the brochure is that the Ullswater Steamers and the Ratty offer half price tickets to each other on presentation of a suitable voucher.  The sentimental one was a lovely lady in her 80s, with her daughter and daughter-in-law in tow, who was visiting for the first time in over 70 years, after she had been evacuated from Tyneside in WW2.  She had been housed in one of the Dalegarth cottages now owned by the Ratty.  It was a pleasure to be able to help in her reminiscences.

Inspired by Dom's tram photos, I took a camera on todays and last Friday's trips, and thought I would post some views from the Ratty.  Neither the camera or its operator are particularly good, so they are not the best quality:

River Mite working hard up to Miteside on Friday:

attachicon.gifP1040147C.jpg

River Mite entering Irton Road loop, with Northern Rock waiting to cross over on its way back to Ravenglass:

attachicon.gifP1040150C.jpg

Belted Galloway bull in field near Irton Road - an impressive beast:

attachicon.gifP1040152Cropped.jpg

To quote an advert for Australian beer - I can see the pub from here!  If passengers ask to be dropped at the nearest station to the pub, it is at The Green for the King George IV.  Forge Bridge over the River Esk in the background:

attachicon.gifP1040156C.jpg

Miteside Halt "station building"!  Yes, it is a boat:

attachicon.gifP1040161C.jpg

New sleepers loosely positioned for forthcoming track work at Spout House, near Fisherground halt:

attachicon.gifP1040168C.jpg

Finally, it is nice to see one of the local residents on the correct side of the fence for a change!

attachicon.gifP1040173Cropped.jpg

Some great pictures there, thanks for posting them.   They brought back a lot of very good memories of my time as a volunteer in the 70's before I got married.  I actually helped take that boat up to Miteside.  It was brought from the harbour by the JCB that they had acquired. I've a vague memory that the engine from the same boat ended up in one of the locos. I'm very jealous of you and hope that you enjoy it as much as I did.  I'll have to dig out some of my slides and get them scanned.

In those days us volunteers slept in the old Brake 3rd known as skid row, opposite the loco shed.   My latin motto below was translated in the Ratty arms one night by the late Pete Fazakerley.

Jamie

• Like 11

Ooh, I’d better say G’night to Laurence , Jock and everyone else now too.

I have to drive daughter back to New Brunswick and then set my alarm for 5:00am (what?) as the PD have me on a real early ......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, I’d better say G’night to Laurence , Jock and everyone else now too.

I have to drive daughter back to New Brunswick and then set my alarm for 5:00am (what?) as the PD have me on a real early ######......

Best, Pete.

The mind boggles at whatever duty invoked the net nanny!

• RMweb Gold

Some of my friends from the Serpentarium!

Water Moccasin aka Cottonmouth

post-6195-0-54962200-1445205364_thumb.jpg

Mexican West Coast Rattlesnake

post-6195-0-72670300-1445205604_thumb.jpg

An Eastern Diamondback/Canebrake rattlesnake hybrid

post-6195-0-11731800-1445205650_thumb.jpg

King Cobra (Just the head as he is 9 1/2 feet long!)

post-6195-0-42013100-1445205805_thumb.jpg

Indonesian Spitting Cobra (This was the rather testy one that was constantly striking at the glass)

post-6195-0-58686800-1445205899_thumb.jpg

All taken at low res on the camera phone with no flash, so not the finest images.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 16

Andyram .  .My layout? is 7ft by 2ft 6ins., and consists is double track continuous loops, loosely based on Easington Colliery station and colliery exchange all done in N gauge using code 55 track. No where near show standard, but work continues slowly. 

I won't be doing a thread.

Pete. I have a  Squier P-Bass that I am looking after for its owner, my nephew,  who is away teaching in the far east. I don't think he will be back to reclaim it.

The Squier strat i had was made in China. I swapped the bridge pick-up for a Seymore-Duncan Humbucker to give it a bit more b4lls, and sold it to my mate who sold his mexican "fat" strat when he stopped gigging, and always regretted it. It's got him playing again so          we are both happy.

Tony, If you do decide to give it a go,  do it sitting down 'cos' at our age, the shoulders can't handle it!

And so to bed. . .Goodnight everyone. . . .Sleep well.

John

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still dark out.

I wonder if I'll ever get out of the habit of getting up at this time. To be honest, I'm not bothered if I don't. I can get so much more done this way.

Have a good week everyone.

• Like 14

Good morning one and all

Apple Day yesterday could have done without a few ingredients.  Drizzle is never welcome but with my second-heaviest boots the ground conditions were manageable.  The introduction of a parking charge without any prior warning that I had spotted, while no big deal, marked a further step in translating the event from one inspired by volunteers to a municipal enterprise.  Even the job of collecting the gate money was done by uniformed goons who had allowed a queue to grow before I arrived and were not very good at clearing it.  Many of the gazebos housing the fringe organisations and traders that contribute to the event were labelled "Bedford Markets".  Make no mistake, fellow inmates: I am not opposed to progress, but it must be the right kind.  All that aside, I spent loads of money on such delicacies as honey marmalade, bacon with the rind on [a commodity now discarded by most supermarkets], a gammon and apple Bedfordshire Clanger and a kilo of apples, naturally.  Oh yes, and a glass of cider.  Not so long ago the cider bar was run by the local CAMRA branch but like everything else it is now under the control of the council.  Such was the efficiency that although descriptive labels for each cider and perry were provided for the benefit of customers the staff did not know what they were selling.   One challenge remains: how can the council take control of the Morris men?  Best not ask!

What to do today?  Best write the cheque for my membership of the RCTS before the renewal slip gets buried.  Then there is further exploration of a DVD that arrived last week.  Mike Stationmaster will know that station working books are as plentiful as piles of rocking horse droppings so I suspect that he too sent for the set of scans of the Exeter St Davids book for summer 1960.   I bought it as a way of trying to help reconstruct what happened in the summer of 1961 a bit further down the line but it is fascinating in its own right.  Another thing that needs doing is to check my rather straggly bush tomato plant in case any ripe fruit remains to be gathered.  The friend who gave me the plant tells me that mine has done better than his.  Fear not, folks: there is no danger of my becoming a gardening expert.

Best wishes to all

Chris 

• Like 18

Morning All,

We have a rather foggy autumnal morning in this part of the world.  It isn't all that cold though - at least, it is a lot milder than it was last week.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

Oh - forgot to add.  Hope you are feeling better this morning Jock.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 11

Morning all. I too regret the passing of the bacon rhind. My only memory of my maternal grandfather is of him having his breakfast in bed (where he spent all his time by then), and giving me his bacon rhind which I remember as being delicious. Pork scratchings are not in the same league.

Ed

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from a sleeper berth between Watford Junction and Euston.

A reasonable nights sleep and this berth is cleaner than on the outward trip. Didn't try the lounge car this time although it did look a much better one.

It's straight into work when we get to Euston.

A short working week for us as we are off to Utrecht .

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18