The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. I've had an automatic for two years now and still feel out of control when reversing. I have tried left-foot braking but that didn't go well! I now annoy other people waiting for the "old git" in the camper to carry out his reversing manouever (sp?).

Ed

I have just been presented with two pieces of folded and soldered brass that came of parts of Greyhound Bridge.  It appears that they had come off the bridge girders in the dishwasher a couple of weeks ago​. I'm now being blamed for the dishwasher not emptying properly​.  

I think you are very brave putting your work in the dishwasher on several accounts!

• Like 2

Oh the joys of other folk's accidents. When my brother still worked for a major insurer he used to compile a 'best of the year' for our Christmas get together. Three that stick in the memory.

"When I jumped off the tiled roof onto the flat roof (no, it's not what you think) my belt caught on a gutter bracket, my feet and legs went through the bedroom window, and I was knocked unconcious when my head hit the windowsill."

"It rained so hard I couldn't see, and then I hit the stationary car I couldn't see because I was going (aquaplaning) backwards."

"My wife thought she would have a bath before we went to the airport, but then the car came early and she didn't turn the taps off."

Easily done. Half an inch of rain already this morning. About time, October has been very dry so far. But inconvenient the soil thus becoming soft before the acorn drop has finished. Must have picked up a ton so far, very prolific season. Back into the woodland they all go.

• Like 2

To celebrate that fact that Ian A. is in the vicinity temps to day will hit a staggering 75f and Sunny....

I was just listening to the BBC and someone (and not a politician either) said the phrase: “at this moment in time” - haven’t heard that for years and believed that the word: “now” had actually replaced it. Shome mishtake shurely?

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

Our broadband has been a bit suspect over the past few weeks. I've been assured its temporary due to ongoing upgrade works. We are supposed to have 150mbit down and 10mbit up, but regularly get 160 down and 12 up. The Virgins say I'll be upgraded to 200mbit over the coming weeks. Just wish they'd do something with the upload speeds. Makes cloud sharing between devices a pain in the nether regions.

One thing for any other Virgin customers to watch out for. If you have one of their stupid super hubs, they will shortly be piggy backing your wifi into a public hot spot. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/isp-virgin-media-turns-superhub-routers-into-uk-public-wifi-hotspots.html By default you are opted in to this. If you don't want to share or don't trust this, then you must manually opt out either by phone or changing your preferences on their website.

Eircom are always ringing me up to try and tempt me back from the (cheaper) opposition. 'But we can guarantee you 50MB broadband now that Killybegs has gone fibre optic' they say. I have to point out that the telephone line coming down our road is the same one that has been lying in the ditch/draped over hedges since several poles blew down in a storm nearly twenty years ago (presumably their attitude is if it's still working why bother to fix it). I then remind them that several years ago, the state of this cable was their excuse for not connecting me to broadband as the signal was too weak. We only got around this hurdle because one of Steph's colleagues at the hospital is married to an Eircom engineer. We are, of course, waiting with baited breath for for a new cable. As far as I am aware, no one else is able to avail of the upgraded broadband either, as there are currently no fibre optic cables leaving the local exchange. I think Sales need to talk to Engineering.

Verizon’s download and upload speed  have been the same now for about one year or so. One of their “key selling points” I suppose...

We changed from Comcast to Verizon when Verizon came around the neighborhood putting up fibre optics - about ten years ago by now.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

Back when I lived in Essex, a bloke up the road had an old Jag with a 12 cylinder engine and automatic gearbox.

He would get in the car in the morning, and reverse out of the garage at breakneck speed.  Until the fateful morning when his wife had used the car, and left it in neutral instead of park.  He got in, started the engine, one click back on the selector lever and buried the throttle - it went straight through the garage wall, and ended up in the back garden!

No wonder they have now have interlocks to stop the car being started in anything other than park.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Our broadband has been a bit suspect over the past few weeks. I've been assured its temporary due to ongoing upgrade works. We are supposed to have 150mbit down and 10mbit up, but regularly get 160 down and 12 up. The Virgins say I'll be upgraded to 200mbit over the coming weeks. Just wish they'd do something with the upload speeds. Makes cloud sharing between devices a pain in the nether regions.

One thing for any other Virgin customers to watch out for. If you have one of their stupid super hubs, they will shortly be piggy backing your wifi into a public hot spot. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/isp-virgin-media-turns-superhub-routers-into-uk-public-wifi-hotspots.html By default you are opted in to this. If you don't want to share or don't trust this, then you must manually opt out either by phone or changing your preferences on their website.

Interesting.

I think ours is the previous hub (black box sitting vertically with a round 'on' button lower down if that sounds different to your one).

They keep ringing me about getting a new better box and cheaper but forget to explain its only that price for a set number of months and includes TV etc which I dont want. I wonder how many they have caught out with that hard sell tactics.

Edited by roundhouse

Morning all from a damp Gkasgow. My second day off out of three and I'm finally beginning to feel normal again! lol! My job for today though is trying to find where rainwater is getting in through the roof. We have noticed a disclolouration on our bedroom ceiling but as yet on checking in the loft I can't find where the rain is getting in. The roof appears bone dry, the layout is dry, anything stored appears to be dry so I'm beginning to think it may be some piping from the old watertank but I need to do a bit of moving stuff to access that area! Wish me luck! Best as always to you all and hooe you have goid days with whatever you are doing!

We had a similar problem in my daughter's bedroom. There was a damp patch in one corner near the eaves. 

On investigation in the loft the plasterboard was wet but the insulation above it was dry - I'd sort of imagined that rain coming in from a hole in the roof above would have soaked the insulation en route to the plasterboard. We got a chap in to fix the hole with a new patch of felt and, fingers crossed we haven't had a problem since. 

Nevertheless he also thought there was a problem with the flashing that might have been the culprit. When they install flashing the original builders were meant to put several inches turnover into the mortar coarse of the neighbouring property. The actuality was that they had used about 1 inch and in places it was peeling away. The prevailing wind means that rain was hitting the wall of the neighbouring house and running down and most likely getting behind the flashing, running down inside and working it's way into the loft. That's only a hypothesis, and as I say we haven't had a problem since he put a repair patch on the felt. 

Hope you get it sorted. 

Decorating day so far today. Room concerned is a bedroom that is due to become my layout room, so it is in my interest to get on with it. Other layout preparation includes taking a Hornby track plan in Anyrail, and modifying it to remove 1st radius curves and add Peco curved electrofrog points in place of the Hornby Settrack ones.

Mrs G has been holiday hunting on the net and found a flight to Fuerteventura in December for £66, so next holiday is now booked. For that flight price, it is a nobrainer.

Weather is perking up a bit here, so after the next round of decorating, I will get out for a short walk this afternoon.

• Like 15

Has anyone been following the dire prophesies for weather in the UK?

Apparently El Nino, the Jet Stream, the temperatures of the Atlantic and the Pacific etc., are all conspiring to cause several months of snow here.

"Since records began" crops up in the predictions.

As looking out of the window is my preferred method of weather information, I'm not sure what to make of this.

• Like 18

I was just listening to the BBC and someone (and not a politician either) said the phrase: “at this moment in time” - haven’t heard that for years and believed that the word: “now” had actually replaced it. Shome mishtake shurely?

Best, Pete.

They may be paid by the word.  :jester:

When I did my doctorate I asked the Prof how many pages the thesis had to be. I rather wanted to know what the typical length of document was in order to judge how much work I'd let myself in for at the write up. 

He gave me a bemused look and muttered something about "When you've said everything you want to say."

I rather wished I'd condensed the whole thing onto a side of A4, 6 equations and 1 recommendation to find "X", where "X" was a variable summing up the one thing we'd not thought of researching. Doh!  

• Like 14

roundhouse, on 21 Oct 2015 - 11:43, said:

Interesting.

I think ours is the previous hub (black box sitting vertically with a round 'on' button lower down if that sounds different to your one).

They keep ringing me about getting a new better box and cheaper but forget to explain its only that price for a set number of months and includes TV etc which I dont want. I wonder how many they have caught out with that hard sell tactics.

Is that the one with the big LED Virgin logo on it? If so there are 2 newer boxes since then. (The ng and AE rated up to 1gbit, eventually) Both very similar looking but with out the illuminated logo. I think your box is rated to 50mbit. Only the newer SuperHubs will get the wifi piggyback.

• RMweb Gold

Is that the one with the big LED Virgin logo on it? If so there are 2 newer boxes since then. (The ng and AE rated up to 1gbit, eventually) Both very similar looking but with out the illuminated logo. I think your box is rated to 50mbit. Only the newer SuperHubs will get the wifi piggyback.

Sounds like the one and possibly why I dont get a faster speed which makes a mockery of them sending me letters saying my speed is now 100mbs and will soon be upto 150 mbs!

• RMweb Premium

Back again!  21/10/2015 has barely 90 minutes to run here and still no stray Deloreans landing in the road ..... ;)

Probably just as well.  I hope to keep my "no claims" that way.  Been driving 41 years and yet to acquire so much as a demerit point never mind have to claim on the insurance on account of my own actions.  Just two claims in all that time - one for malicious damage when the doors were kicked in way back in 1990 and more recently when Mrs. G. was driving (and I wasn't in the car) and a trail-biker decided it would be a smart move to zip across all eight lanes of the local freeway at right-angles to the traffic flow!!!  He found the side door of our 2001 Kia Rio in his way and left quite an imprint but managed to stay aboard his ride and make good his escape.  The door and other sundry scratches were easily dealt with.

But I do have the most unusual "honour" of having written off a bus :O  Driving the homeward school run from St. Just to Zennor on the twisting single-track road which runs along that scenic piece of Cornish coast I was stopped at a marked bus stop to drop off a few kids at Morvah chapel.  At which point the road takes a 90-degree bend with reasonable visibility around which at high speed came a car heading straight towards us.  Said car duly buried itself into the side of the bus taking out most of the side, all of the fuel tank and twisting the frame.  Not a lot was left of the car from which stumbled the landlady of a local hostelry.  As the law requires when a passenger-carrying vehicle is in a significant accident Plod was summoned and determined that the car driver had been "product testing" through lunchtime and was way over the legal limit for driving.  She lost both her driving and liquor licenses for that little episode and her insurers had to stump up for a replacement bus as she'd done too much damage to repair the first one.  No-one was hurt, other than pride on her part.

Internet speeds?  Don't get me started.  But they're still better than snail mail.  Today we received our anniversary card from my folks back in the UK which was posted (and marked with an air-mail label) on 27th September!!!  

Don't worry - be happy.

• Like 18

Has anyone been following the dire prophesies for weather in the UK?

Apparently El Nino, the Jet Stream, the temperatures of the Atlantic and the Pacific etc., are all conspiring to cause several months of snow here.

"Since records began" crops up in the predictions.

As looking out of the window is my preferred method of weather information, I'm not sure what to make of this.

A snow man by the sounds of it Dd.

• Like 11

Greetings all - it's grey and full of the drizzle that makes you far wetter than it looks like it ought to.

A frustrating morning looking at some of Spreadsheet King's work. The spreadsheet makes perfect sense and does what he set it out to do. Unfortunately he didn't apply the necessary thought and logic process to it all so it doesn't do what I need it to do - and what it was supposed to do.

And I had promised the boss the results of the work this afternoon. That's not going to happen now as I have parents' evening to get back for.

I do know exactly what AndrewC is talking about - our bin was replaced a while back. We signed up for the new compost arrangements early (and received a discount0 because we get so many leaves in our garden they need disposing of. And our bin was delivered when expected unlike most of the rest of the borough.

My only comment to Granddad Bob is I hope he didn't drop his Abbot Ale too!

I hope those who are suffering from their travails continue to improve.

Have a good day all, I'm off to look at a spreadsheet!

• Like 15