Excellent - thank you very much!

>edit<

Unfortunately they are G Scale (1/22.5)

First five of the seven items listed are HO

Dubai sky-dive video

YES PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE !!!!!!

Edited by Gwiwer

Afternoon all from a sunny Scottish HQ!

Broadband seems to be reliably working at around the 37 mbps rate at home (touch wood) so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way, but I managed to watch a YouTube video on the tv through the fancy smart hard drive doodah, and tried a little bit of iPlayer as well, which worked successfully.

Doing a bit of thinking around the Ankh Morpork & Sto Plains Hygienic Railway. Some potential there, but where to get 4mm scale dwarves, trolls and vampires?

Ah, in the interests of Raising Steam, it should be live steam...! I'm a Pterry fan too, so will be interested to see this if it comes about!

Flavour of the month only seems to last around 10 years.

What are you complaining about? If I had something that lasted 120 times the expected length, I'd be happy! :sungum:

• Like 12

"Depress clutch pedal to start vehicle" 

A few weeks ago whilst keeping out of the way in my workshop, I heard someone trying to start a car outside in the street. After hearing several attempts, I decided that as I could not really help as 1) I don't have any "jump leads" and 2) I'm not in such a physical condition to help push start any vehicle.

I was in the process of retreating into the house when I saw the said poorly car advancing on my parked van. I called to the driver to take the car out of gear and was told "it has to be in gear!". Not being fully conversant with this line of reason, I offered "What will you do when your car collides with my van?" Once I had  persuaded the driver to take the car out of gear, it turned over faster which made me then offer, "Put the clutch pedal down now".

This the driver did and the car started immediately, she then rammed it into gear and left the area in a cloud of dust, not offering any thanks, not that I really warranted any, as I was only protecting my own interests .  

Morning postal deliveries seem to be a thing of the past around here, too.

The plus side is that this does make me wealthier for much longer as they only ever seem to deliver bills....

Meanwhile the dustmen seem to arrive very early these days. 

Must be time to adjust the clocks and get everything back to normal. Or some semblance of it. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! Three days off now, or in other words, the weekend. Time to put up those feet…

During my second half I drove something I had not had before:

img_10629npon.jpg

…this being a triple traction of Tatras. Originally intended only as a temporary measure to obtain additional Großzüge even in the absence of trailers, this kind of formation must be coupled in a specific sequence. At this time, there are four subtypes within the T4D fleet, which we designate Type 33c, 33d, 33h and 33i. The 33c are the fully refurbished Tatras, while the 33d cars were originally given only a somewhat cut-back refurbishment. There are only ten 33d cars left in service in any case.

The 33h and 33i cars are, in turn, 33c cars with additional components to prepare them for triple formations. The first car in this kind of formation can be a 33c, 33i or 33h, while the second must be a 33i (the "i" essentially referring to "middle") and the third must be a 33h, where the "h" could be interpreted as "hindmost." 

Though this sort of formation is indeed referred to as a "triple traction", only the first two cars are actually working, while the third is merely towed along like a trailer and powered up only for a moment when starting so as to release the holding brakes. The current draw generated by three working motor cars would otherwise be too high for the conducting couplers, and possibly the OHLE power supply, to handle.

My personal impression was that these formations are rather significantly more sluggish than actual Großzüge as a full motor car does weigh a bit more than a mere trailer. I did get along with it sufficiently well but I doubt this kind of formation will ever be my personal favourite.

Now cooking dinner and Elise must yet bake a cake for her work when she gets home as they've a planning meeting tomorrow.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

.....doesn't the lift work in that building?

Dave

Funnily enough, when I used to parachute from aircraft for fun, the flights to the designated altitude(s) were known as 'lifts', and not flights or sorties.

The form of lift in the video is a lot quicker and very much cheaper than catching a plane, but I've always felt that base jumpers are pushing their luck:  You have to get clear of whatever you are falling from, and the height that some of these people jump from (not in this particular video) is not really enough to get a cut away and a successful reserve deployment should something go wrong.

It's probably why base jumpers tend not to survive into old age.

• Like 2

Gordon - That video is awesome. I've done a lot of parachuting but never had the guts to go base jumping.

Ian - I hope that the work situation improves.

John - Unfortunately I've been drinking strong black coffee for far too long to the point where it doesn't actualy have any effect on me.

Dick - That sounds like an interesting layout concept and something that I'd like to see. Where would you get the Golem?

• Like 8

Finally heard from the hospital - my chemo starts this Monday. Glad it's beginning but a little apprehensive.

Family games night tonight with the kids, er well, the youngest is 22, middle is 25, oldest is 28, all with passes from respective boy and girlfriends.

Chilli, margarita, wine, and some fun!

Mal

• Like 3

Evening all! Three days off now, or in other words, the weekend. Time to put up those feet…

<big snip>

Now cooking dinner and Elise must yet bake a cake for her work when she gets home as they've a planning meeting tomorrow.

Dom,

I continue to find your tram posts of great interest  may I ask 2 questions please?

How fast do they travel in normal service? and

How long before you go solo?

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Work seemed a bit better today. They operate a no blame culture , so they say!!

They give you too little notice of new projects then have a go for not dealing with orders amongst other things.

Couldn check in online all day so a mad rush to London City airport as told we have Used the automated check in points and all worked but then big queues for security then once in terminal most flights delayed so the tiny terminal is wedged hardly a spare space to stand even difficult trying to get to the toilets. Ours was one of the few showing on time till a few minutes ago but now showing 25 late so looks like the possible beers in Amsterdam are out as will need to get straight to Uttecht.

Edit

Now 1 hour 25 late.

Oh well we hove tomorrow evening wherever the Barrow beer monsters plan to visit.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Well, it's my Friday, whatever you call it.  4 day weeks should be compulsory of the over 50's :sungum:

Tony, I hope Aditi's day went well, big life change coming up!  Plus, I suspect, a bit of a shock for her senior management team when they first need something.....just about anything, by the sound of the last few days.

We have had two days of fighting with telecoms issues, ISP blaming Manx telecom and vice-versa.  Seems perhaps both had a hand in it, but we got it sorted by lunchtime.  Made for a crazy couple of days though, if my hair wasn't already grey....... :O

Old Farts bike club breakfast tomorrow (that is it's name!) so hoping for dryness to kick in, otherwise it's the car...which is cheating a bit really :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Had a most enjoyable day out. Managed to travel up the Cumbrian Coast, as I had hoped, behind a 37. Didn't half bring back some great memories.

I thought I might have spotted Niel offshore but no, it just looked misty on the horizon. I have seen the Isle of Man from some of the fells but can you ever see it from the Cumbrian coast or is it beyond the horizon?

I think I'll treat myself to a snack and a glass of red to finish the day off. Enjoy the rest of your evenings.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Dom,

I continue to find your tram posts of great interest  may I ask 2 questions please?

How fast do they travel in normal service? and

How long before you go solo?

Dave, our maximum network speed is 50 kph. The Tatras are capable of 55 technically, while the NGT8s and NGT12s are electronically limited to 60 kph. The NGT6s were designed for a maximum of 70 kph.

The current plan is for me to complete ops training next Wednesday. My own duty roster will then be activated on Thursday, so I cannot tell yet how I'll be working after that.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Had a most enjoyable day out. Managed to travel up the Cumbrian Coast, as I had hoped, behind a 37. Didn't half bring back some great memories.

I thought I might have spotted Niel offshore but no, it just looked misty on the horizon. I have seen the Isle of Man from some of the fells but can you ever see it from the Cumbrian coast or is it beyond the horizon?

I think I'll treat myself to a snack and a glass of red to finish the day off. Enjoy the rest of your evenings.

Yes, I think so - on the grounds we can see the 'windmills' and gas platforms in Morcambe Bay, and buildings in Whitehaven!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I think so - on the grounds we can see the 'windmills' and gas platforms in Morcambe Bay, and buildings in Whitehaven!

Where were you hiding today then? I'll wave more energetically next time I'm over there.

That's a bit of bad luck Gordon.

I take it that you've withdrawn your application to join Wentworth too.

Well I did suggest selling the house, but that fell on deaf ears....

Funnily enough the antibiotic I've just started is the one they give to alcoholics to stop them drinking, as any amount of alcohol will make you violently sick. Not a great social skill......

• RMweb Gold

Dave, our maximum network speed is 50 kph. The Tatras are capable of 55 technically, while the NGT8s and NGT12s are electronically limited to 60 kph. The NGT6s were designed for a maximum of 70 kph.

The current plan is for me to complete ops training next Wednesday. My own duty roster will then be activated on Thursday, so I cannot tell yet how I'll be working after that.

Will there be some sort of assessment Dom, or will it be a formality once you have done the necessary time.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Where were you hiding today then? I'll wave more energetically next time I'm over there.

That's a bit of bad luck Gordon.

I take it that you've withdrawn your application to join Wentworth too.

At work....Trackshack is in Peel, which is the west coast - from which we can see Ireland, but not Cumbria!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Will there be some sort of assessment Dom, or will it be a formality once you have done the necessary time.

The ops training as such is also something of an assessment period, Warren, the goal being to determine how you are able to apply your driving skills in revenue service, augmented by know-how provided by your ops trainers. There also are two independent assessments by operational quality inspectors during this phase to determine your understanding of operating rules such as they are and to offer additional advice on handling particular situations as they may have occurred during these assessment sessions. As I've been assured there has been nothing show-stopping during the past weeks and that, on top of my already possessing a well-formed and extensive understanding of operational regulations, traffic interactions and technology, growing experience will allow one to push one's limits yet a bit further over time, I'd say there is nothing to worry about.

Phil, may I just post a new round of good vibrations for Debs so that she'll be back in shape soon!

• Like 13