RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Firstly best wishes to all sufferers and those undergoing treatment.

What a difference a day makes. Last evening the waves were smashing into the dunes, this morning the sea is lapping gently on the beach. Much warmer though but very wet. The Reliance is still cruising around Donegal Bay, not sure exactly what she is up to unless they're looking for a damaged cable.

• Like 15

Morning all from frustrated of Sidcup.

came in early to crack on with work, only to find that there is no network connectivity, which was later replaced by intermittent capability. I've been here an hour and achieved little. On the plus side I have caught up with ERs.

Best wishes to Mal for his continued chemo and I hope that Jock gets his pain back under control. Dave's pictures show what a beautiful part of the world he lives in.

MiL arrived yesterday but the only paper in evidence on the lounge floor was the standard.

Good morning one and all and especially the ailing

Andyram, you are a kindred spirit when it comes to getting Christmas shopping over and done.  I have one present to buy.  It involves going into the Body Shop*, which is not altogether comfortable for a mere male.  They offer box sets of the particular fragrance which the lady likes but I prefer to give a little more thought to it and go for pick'n'mix, having the resultant selection presented elegantly in a basket with clear film cover and a bow.  I may apply myself to the task on Friday when I have an early appointment at the surgery and another excuse for a Wetherspoons breakfast.

* Not to be confused with repair facilities offered by garages

Chris you are certainly ahead of me, but I sympathise with the need to go in such fragrant establishments. It could be worse of course, a couple of years ago I will confess to buying Sarah some lingerie she has seen. Sadly for me it was in the window of Ann Summers! When she dropped a subtle hint over another set last Christmas I took the cowards way out and ordered online!

No such hints yet this year, she has been pretty quiet over ideas for the festive period. She is mad keen on giraffes, so I would love to try and organise some kind of zoo experience for her. Just need to find somewhere that does such a thing involving those particular creatures.

Have a good day all, Jock I hope the pain eases for you sir.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

London & Whipsnade Zoos do "adopt a giraffe" Andy. Chris is mad about these lovely creatures and was given a similar present a few years ago.

These help?

http://www.zsl.org/adopt-an-animal

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animal-Savannah-the-Giraffe-adoption/dp/B00G9XBN7G/ref=pd_sim_86_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RYHSJVPY2KW6ME5K5R2

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Rather soggy despite the forecast for dry and sunny weather hereabouts this morning. Sorry to hear of your tribulations Jock and I hope its sorted soonest. As Jock pointed out Lurkers MiL is staying over Haloween, so I'll ask the question that everyone wants to ask. Where does she park her broomstick?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Hope things improve for you Jock - further concerns about bodily function are not to be welcomed at any time.  And good to hear that Mal is making progress - all we need now is a bright 'good morning' or whatever from Debs.

I went to Neuschwanstein on a school visit during our German exchange trip 50 years ago - amazing place and a lot less busy then so a reasonable amount of time to take in the various rooms.

Have a good day one & allk

• Like 11

Amazing to find that stuff on eBay!

Actually quite a good place to buy steel and other metals if you don't mind a bit of pot luck for what's available; plenty of places sell their offcuts on ebay, so there's often 6"-12" lengths of various metals and sizes. Plus it's delivered, not many steel merchants will delivery small quantities.

16mm is HUGE to me! (in model train terms  :nono: )

:angel:

The smallest I've worked with in live steam.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather damp and misty village.  First part of the morning went well.  A 60 mile round trip to Doncaster got me the seat belt that I need.  Then I had to call at the pharmacy to find out why our repeat prescriptions weren't ready.  Turns out they were ready and under the counter but for some reason they had forgotten to text us.  Then back home to find contractors digging up the pavement outside the house.  After enquiries it appears that the pub next door needs an upgraded electrical supply that's 3 phase (New kitchen installed).  Some negotiations with the foreman should at least ensure that I don't get too much earache from Beth when she get home but they will be digging across the drive at some point this week. 

Then I've started to rebuild the rear seat back.  New belt is fitted and working and I have now started on the bit that the Haynes manual states "This requires some dexterity".  I've now got the armrest cover partially refitted but my finger ends needed a rest so I've decided to have a look on here before resuming.

Onwards and upwards.

Jamie

• Like 2

I know that some folk enjoy the challenge of working out train journeys at economic rates.

SWMBO has an idea about travelling from Rhyl to Barcelona next June by train, return.

If anyone fancies tackling that exercise, I'd be pleased to hear.

I wouldn't know where to start.

Chris you are certainly ahead of me, but I sympathise with the need to go in such fragrant establishments. It could be worse of course, a couple of years ago I will confess to buying Sarah some lingerie she has seen. Sadly for me it was in the window of Ann Summers! When she dropped a subtle hint over another set last Christmas I took the cowards way out and ordered online!

No such hints yet this year, she has been pretty quiet over ideas for the festive period. She is mad keen on giraffes, so I would love to try and organise some kind of zoo experience for her. Just need to find somewhere that does such a thing involving those particular creatures.

Have a good day all, Jock I hope the pain eases for you sir.

I guess Kenya is too far away. This is one of my grandsons feeding a young giraffe at Lewa. It helps that my daughter Lucy worked there for a couple of years and they all stayed there when they were over there earlier this year.

post-7952-0-26557200-1445947132.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The plans I have are for (butane) gas firing, though they're somewhat vague about the gas nozzle/jet. So may well end up being spirits fired, we shall see.

Hi Lisa,

At one stage, the design standard for gas poker burners for 16 mm locos used to be a #6 nozzle on the jet, but I tended to retrofit a #5, and get very good results.

However, my experience with ceramic bunkers with small vertical boilers is that a #3 is sufficient.

Hth

Edit:  I sent the above from my tablet, so ignore the ceramic bunkers and think of ceramic burners!

Also consider that should you use a butane/propane mix instead of pure butane, then a smaller jet may be beneficial.

The biggest problem with jets is picking up detritus from the gas tank, where bits of dirt (in there from the day it was built), can get carried into the jet orifice and gum the whole thing up.

Edited by Happy Hippo

Then I've started to rebuild the rear seat back.  New belt is fitted and working and I have now started on the bit that the Haynes manual states "This requires some dexterity".  I've now got the armrest cover partially refitted but my finger ends needed a rest so I've decided to have a look on here before resuming.

Onwards and upwards.

Jamie

It's unusual for the Haynes manual to say more than "re-assembly is a reverse of the above process". (of course, I have never followed the manual in the above process)

Ed

I know that some folk enjoy the challenge of working out train journeys at economic rates.

SWMBO has an idea about travelling from Rhyl to Barcelona next June by train, return.

If anyone fancies tackling that exercise, I'd be pleased to hear.

I wouldn't know where to start.

I imagine Rhyl would be ideal from this point of view.

hat, coat etc

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I imagine Rhyl would be ideal from this point of view.

hat, coat etc

A straight copy and paste off the DB website:

Rhyl Sa, 31.10.15 dep 15:00   --- Schnellzug Direction: London Euston

Reservation optional , seated coach , Buffet London Euston Sa, 31.10.15 arr 17:39

transfer  45 min.

walking distance and check-in-time

London St. Pancras International Sa, 31.10.15 dep 18:31   EST 9048 EUROSTAR Direction: Paris Nord Eurostar

Subject to compulsory reservation , Special ticket or supplement required , Sleeperette , Bar , Compartment for disabled travellers Paris Nord Eurostar Sa, 31.10.15 arr 21:47  

transfer  55 min.

Continue by Metro 5 direction Place d'Italie

Paris Austerlitz Sa, 31.10.15 dep 22:43   D 3753 Nacht-Schnellzug Direction: Toulouse-Matabiau

Subject to compulsory reservation , Global price , Couchettes Toulouse-Matabiau Su, 01.11.15 arr 06:48  

Toulouse-Matabiau Su, 01.11.15 dep 08:11   AVE 9729 AVE Direction: Barcelona Sants

Subject to compulsory reservation , Global price , Bar , Compartment for disabled travellers Barcelona Sants Su, 01.11.15 arr 11:31  

EDITED to make a little  clearer

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

Dear ER`s! :bye:

Just a quickie-visit to say a sincere thank you for your many kind thoughts, well-wishes and even the occasional {and very welcome} prayer of support; which have been very gratefully recvd. and proved most uplifting during my recent hospitalisation.

I`m recovering back at home now with my beloved-Collies.

Best wishes to you all,

Kindest regards,

Debs. :wub:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 2

A straight copy and paste off the DB website:

Rhyl Sa, 31.10.15 dep 15:00   --- Schnellzug Direction: London Euston

Reservation optional , seated coach , Buffet London Euston Sa, 31.10.15 arr 17:39

transfer  45 min.

walking distance and check-in-time

London St. Pancras International Sa, 31.10.15 dep 18:31   EST 9048 EUROSTAR Direction: Paris Nord Eurostar

Subject to compulsory reservation , Special ticket or supplement required , Sleeperette , Bar , Compartment for disabled travellers Paris Nord Eurostar Sa, 31.10.15 arr 21:47  

transfer  55 min.

Continue by Metro 5 direction Place d'Italie

Paris Austerlitz Sa, 31.10.15 dep 22:43   D 3753 Nacht-Schnellzug Direction: Toulouse-Matabiau

Subject to compulsory reservation , Global price , Couchettes Toulouse-Matabiau Su, 01.11.15 arr 06:48  

Transfer time 1:23 h

Toulouse-Matabiau Su, 01.11.15 dep 08:11   AVE 9729 AVE Direction: Barcelona Sants

Subject to compulsory reservation , Global price , Bar , Compartment for disabled travellers Barcelona Sants Su, 01.11.15 arr 11:31  

EDITED to make a little  clearer

Wow! Great and fast response from Roundhouse there. Top marks.

However next year I want to travel from Dorking to Ocho Rios via Rochdale ..............

• RMweb Gold

Wow! Great and fast response from Roundhouse there. Top marks.

However next year I want to travel from Dorking to Ocho Rios via Rochdale ..............

Loads of ways from Dorking to Rochdale

Metrolink from Rochdale to Manchester airport

Google maps gave me this

10:4013:50
Manchester (MAN) – Philadelphia (PHL)
American 735 · Airbus A330
Average legroom (79 cm)
Often delayed by 30+ min
8h 10m
In-seat USB power
On-demand video
No Wi-Fi
Layover in Philadelphia PHL
6h 55m

20:4522:32
Philadelphia (PHL) – Charlotte (CLT)
American 2005 · Airbus A319
Average legroom (79 cm)
1h 47m
Wi-Fi
Stream to your device
No in-seat power
Layover in Charlotte CLT Overnight
9h 18m

07:50+110:57+1
Charlotte (CLT) – Montego Bay (MBJ)
American 668 · Airbus A319
Average legroom (79 cm)
3h 07m
Stream to your device
No Wi-Fi
No in-seat power

Isn't the interweb wonderful.

How did we ever manage beforehand

but we did.
  • Like 9

Loads of ways from Dorking to Rochdale

Metrolink from Rochdale to Manchester airport

Google maps gave me this

10:40 – 13:50

Manchester (MAN) – Philadelphia (PHL)

American 735 · Airbus A330

Average legroom (79 cm)

Often delayed by 30+ min

8h 10m

In-seat USB power

On-demand video

No Wi-Fi

Layover in Philadelphia PHL

6h 55m

20:45 – 22:32

Philadelphia (PHL) – Charlotte (CLT)

American 2005 · Airbus A319

Average legroom (79 cm)

1h 47m

Wi-Fi

Stream to your device

No in-seat power

Layover in Charlotte CLT Overnight

9h 18m

07:50+1 – 10:57+1

Charlotte (CLT) – Montego Bay (MBJ)

American 668 · Airbus A319

Average legroom (79 cm)

3h 07m

Stream to your device

No Wi-Fi3

No in-seat power

Isn't the interweb wonderful.

How did we ever manage beforehand

but we did.

No wi-fi? WTF kind of transportation is that? Has it got a hook to hang my jacket?

As you say, we did manage. Just the same as we managed to drive, use a map and ask people directions. Now they ask for my postcode, put it in their sat nav, cant find me and phone me for directions. Nothing changes.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 11