The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Fairy (for ferry), Cadana (Canada), gabloon (balloon) all from No.1 son. My favourite is dekkit (breakfast), modified to McDekkit if a certain "restaurant" is used. Loads of others, I'll try to remember some.

Ed

In our house we ate greckfoots first thing in the morning, according to Caroline (DD2) who was called Calorine by a friend of hers.

Some years ago, I taught a class in which there were four girls called Amy, necessitating the addition of surnames for identification. One morning, a pupil asked if Amy Di*do was in school. (The actual surname was Dando!)

Edited by Ashcombe

Matthew rang tonight and was wanting some advice about how to deal with someone (another student , not staff, apparently the staff are all lovely). Matthew said in his project group it seems to be his job to help those with poor English. Fluent spoken and written English is a course requirement but it has been causing some tension. Also the same students don't understand plagiarism. So Matthew wanted to know how to say no to someone without being offensive. Unfortunately he asked me rather than his Mum!

Hi Tony

For such an important course I'm surprised that it hasn't been drummed into the students that it's their own work that matters.

Anyone else cheesed off with the ex-Top Gear presenter currently advertising a certain firestick by arrogantly proclaiming that he became 'unbusy' in the spring? I know that showbiz people live in different worlds but physically attacking, allegedly, a fellow employee is a tad more serious - or is it me?

Hope you have good weekends

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry dull start and rain promised for later.

We had a great meal at Steve's last night and I eventually fell into bed at about 2.30. I seem to be alive this morning so am now waiting for the inevitable call to assist with domestic tasks. Tonight we've got some friends coming for a meal so I will be needed in a non culinary capacity to do other stuff. This will mainly be along the lines of being asked told to "get out of my way".

If that is the case I know a room I where can go and get out of the way.  Which brings me to the trainset. Lots of testing done yesterday and one or two gremlins with a couple of my locos surfaced but I think I've cured them. Possibly. I will find out later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15

Morning all.  Here's hoping health matters are improving and you are managing to keep sane amongst the Christmas buzz.

Just had a mail from my daughter that wore me out just reading it.  

Meeting friends for brunch in Clapham at 11.30, then off to a birthday celebration with other friends at 2pm.  Leave there later in the afternoon to meet another friend to go to the X Factor Final at Wembley....Bonkers..... :O

Jackie and I have a basic rule to only do one thing in any day.  Any more than that and we're done for... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Christmas is now getting closer, onions have been peeled and will be placed in pickling jars tomorrow second batch. Children are coming home to roost one already home one more on Monday evening and the last will be back about 3.00 am on Friday morning after an overnight drive to Winchester by me. Small rant Sparsholt appears to be run for the benefit of staff rather than its students 'your room must be empty by 5.00 Thursday' great I finish work at 4.30 and live 170 miles away rant ends.

• Like 1

G'morning all.

As bob says, dull and a bit ominous on the Côte de Sutton.

Sorry about the op delay, Jock, and I hope Is is a bit more comfortable, plus other good wishes.

Leapt out of bed into the shower today, as if still at work, in an attempt to get some pizzazz back into my life - still coughing but otherwise not too bad. Yesterday I tried to get the shelves into the loft but they're a nightmare! They have a strange fitting where four tags are slipped (?) into two holes and force fitted. Permanent, and not what I wanted. The shelves, passively shown as metal in the ads, are particle board, which has the strength of Weetabix. It says they take 175kg on the box. I doubt it. So new shelves ordered...

Today's task is now to strip out the particle board and pack the metal parts up to take to France where they will grace an outbuilding. I think they will have to live under the sofa as we won't be going out again until the spring.

Then getting the Christmas tree down so that Julie and Daisy can dress it on Monday evening. Always a happy moment.

And young Laurence is doing proper walking, independently and one end of the flat to another! At the moment he has a stiff right leg, but physio can improve that. I must have got something in my eye watching the video...

So go into the weekend relaxed and ready. As a friend posted on Facebook today; Relax - nothing's under control.

• Like 15

Morning all. I haven't gone missing but I've had no internet since Monday and the earliest that they expect it to be back up and running is this coming Monday.

I'm away this weekend and have access to the hotel wi-fi but there is no chance of catching up on the posts from the last few days. so it will have to be a generic congratulations/commiserations until I'm back up and running properly.

Hopefully I'll have chance to look in tomorrow before heading back to the wilderness that is no internet.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather damp village.   Morning orders have been issued and the boss has departed to do some churchy things.   My main tasks are to shop for tomorrow as the outlaws and No 2 son and wife are descending to be fed. No doubt there will be some stringing of decorations and getting things from the loft to do as well later. Also another Ebay parcel to post. So far I've sold 4 of 12 items and have recoupled nearly half my auction outlay.

Amazon are still managing to do things. All our books are now displaying properly and I had a further three emails waiting for me this morning when I logged on. All from different departments. I've told them all that I'm not a happy bunny and asked them to make sure that Amazon buy plenty of our books for their stock as recompense. I will not hold my breath.

Grandad Bob, glad that you are making progress and that no ore injuries are being reported.

To all others (there are many) good day and good luck.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Just a quick hello before I depart for the toy fair, be back later.

Have a good time. I hope the Christmas shopping traffic isn't too bad in Brentwood today. I haven't been to that toy fair for many years but it did seem to be a good place for acquiring road vehicles for layouts.

Slight drizzle here now. I am really cold, not due to weather, rather due to searching through the freezer. The chicken carcasses for stock were not where I thought I had put them after I recently defrosted the freezer. Not sure why they were on the fruit shelf. I am sure Aditi will impose some order now she has retired. Gordon mentioned doing one task per day. Aditi said the other day that she has gone from extreme multitasking to attempting one task at a time and failing! So she makes a cup of coffee instead.

Tony

• Like 13

Good morning everybody. Plagiarism, moi? I soon learnt not to buy the recommended text books, but to borrow the tattiest copy from the library. This was bound to have useful quotes marked in pencil in the margins. Saved the trouble of reading the blessed thing.

Listening to "Saturday Live" on Radio 4 as I trype. They have just read a message from a chap who was buying rolling stock and track for his "secret model railway". Visions of false walls in attics as in the Colditz glider project come to mind.

Have a good day, and good luck to C.......s shoppers.

Ed

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

It's raining!  And it's cold (well it is December, I think).  Probably heading out later on the familial visit but Mrs Stationmaster is currently dashing about the house putting things in the washing machine and getting things out of the freezer so her plans might change, we shall see and I shall obey follow the lead.

Have a  good day one and all  (and trust Mr & Mrs OD to be going to the Taunton beanfeast in the year when I am 'otherwise engaged'  - ah well there'll no doubt be more).

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Not plagiarism but, I remember a story from uni days, probably apocryphal, about the student in a sociology exam whose mind just gave up the ghost and went blank. He looked out of the window for inspiration and saw a removal van. His exam paper was littered with 'Pickford said......', 'According to Pickford....' and 'Pickford's research showed.......'

History does not record whether he passed or not.

Being a sociology paper, my guess is that he did.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony

For such an important course I'm surprised that it hasn't been drummed into the students that it's their own work that matters.

Mal

This is the first year this course has run in its present form. Although for instance Matthew had to supply official documentation for his existing qualifications he just had to tell the university about his inability to write with a pen or pencil. They didn't want to see all his documentation. Being a native speaker of English exempted him from the language test too. However Matthew thinks that although some of the students who are having language problems have certificates of competence they haven't ever had to speak English to English (or in this case to Dutch) people. The academic staff are now aware of the problems revealed now the students are doing research. I think the reason Matthew wanted advice is that apart from the work issue he says the difficult students are really nice people who are great company. Last year he was working with people he didn't like, even so it was easy for him to say no! Anyway next week Matthew has got to do some interviews for the research, sit exams on Wednesday, and fly home on Friday.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Grey, wet and miserable.

However, this is Margam: I'm sure that Telfland will be sitting in the glow of a glorious sun.

The temporary relocation is for a family event to celebrate our mother's 80th birthday (which is mid week).

She asked me if there was anything that she could do for me this morning

I asked her to pop over to Lendon's and get a sheet of 4mm scale brick paper.

She replied that she hadn't been that way in years and might not be able to find the shop.

I ask you! No thought of what colour brick paper I desired.

Some people have no consideration.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning, rain here and forecast all day, indeed the temperature has dropped but it is Decemeber.

Braved the conditions and went to my local model shop this morning and spent a good hour chatting and browsing before making a couple of small purchases.

I intend to visit the shed later but I have to get the Christmas decs down from the loft first, apparently there is no lunch until this task has been completed!

Enjoy your day folks

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Wet and windy.  Weather induced moan coming up.  :jester:

Someone mentioned 'pink'.  I'll not identify as this is not in anyway a comment on that particular post, rather than a thought-stirred comment of today's inheritance.

Now when did the (current) fashion for girl's in pink with dolls in pink in pink dolls prams start?  It seems a long time ago though, thankfully, AFTER our girls had grown up.  But take a look around.  These girls are now Grannies in pink with their daughters in pink and granddaughters in pink all with pink accessories.  During a graphic design course, shortly before the pink invasion, one of our tutors got us to imagine a 'yellow' world and consider the implications.  The conclusion was a definite No No.  The tutor only applied it to 'cars'.  In hind sight, I don't think we took the discussion imagination far enough...all those...er...accessories...driver's clothing....maintenance machines...dealers...parking...etc...etc...  It's a pity the 'pink brigade' fashion designers, didn't heed the warning.  Yes, Elvis had a pink Cadillac, and Lady Penelope had a pink modified Rolls-Royce but pink Routemasters? Oh, yes!  A Hen Party night out in London - for another generation of future mums with offspring in pink playing with their pink Princess trainsets?   :O 

Give me a green King Arthur or Castle any day.  :D

Hope the day goes well for Jock and the rest of us, at least, feel in the pink.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Just went to post some Ebay parcels. Its wet, I mean very wet, and cold and miserable. BUT the post office was busy and the Coop shop it is part of was full of people full of cribo spirit - as in their breath could strip paint at 20 paces. Must have been a very alcoholic night out!

Nearly finished dcc'ing a Jidenco Midland 2-4-0 - whoever built and painted it did well apart from the carp pickups.. so wielding my best soldering station and solder I shall go and fettle it!

Baz

• Like 15

I like pink. I wanted to get our old (T 2) VW camper repainted pink, but it broke and she made me get rid of it. My dream car is a '59 Cadillac Coupe-de-Ville in pink with a white roof. Don't know where i'd park it though.

Ed

Somewhere dark?

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all. Had a well deserved lie in this morning. The weather in Manchester is wet and dark. I will not be venturing out to the workshop today. Finally got all the decorations and tree finished so now I can carry on with my youngest granddaughters Christmas present, a werewolf, don't ask. The best way to describe her is to think of Wednesday Addams, that's her to a tee. But she's lovely really, very thoughtful, but also full of mischief.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 13

I’ve been watching the Sun rise from my office window. It’s 46f outside and expected to be 64f today and sunny.

Christmas drifts over me. Seems like a lot of work for one day.

Daughter coming home today but has to go back for exams on the 20th. At least the trains, buses  and subways will be running on Christmas Day albeit a Sunday service (so it is said).

Drivel obviously returning.

Best, Pete.

I like pink. I wanted to get our old (T 2) VW camper repainted pink, but it broke and she made me get rid of it. My dream car is a '59 Cadillac Coupe-de-Ville in pink with a white roof. Don't know where i'd park it though.

Ed

You can get counselling, you know.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. So that's weekend for me just now, having Sunday and Monday off. Not too bad, I think. Elise will meet up with a friend in the afternoon and her sister for cinema tonight. As The Hunger Games still are too disturbing for my taste, I'm going to give it a pass, though.

Driving was relaxed, and even delightful during Part Two in particular, actually. Stay tuned for why...

• Like 12