Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Beth is still in bed and still in considerable pain so e may end up back at the hospital if it doesn't subside during the day.  I'm off to get a towball fitted on the car and hope that she copes OK.

You tow her to hospital?

• Like 1

....afraid that I'm at work for this one Jock....Is's sister is taking her and they're going shopping between appointments.

Dave

Dave(TG), you can't possibly work and be available full time but if 'Is' follows the example of our distaff side here, shopping will represent adequate compensation!!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 5

The neighbour's 18-year old daughter has gone missing.  It's out of character for her to not keep to her routine, she has no known "other half" and she failed to keep two appointments today.  Her phone and diary were found at home.  Parents and brother are out looking for her; we are are extremely concerned.

Heavens above!  The nightmare of every parent.

Hoping that she turns up safe and well.

I think they owe me money so it's in my interests to get it sorted. Otherwise I suspect nothing would continue happening indefinitely- they would continue to have the money I've given them, and continue to not attribute it to a bill! What I should have done was cancel the DD about 6 months back, with retrospect.

We are with Co-op Energy too - it has proved quite a saving on the old suppliers (i think we'd previously simply continued with the grotesques that morphed out of the old Lekky and Gas Boards).

But we have grumps - one is that they don't seem to react to our own readings emailed to them of our meters as they claimed they would. Like you they owe us money at this time of the year.

Wife somehow manages friendly telephone calls to Co-op Energy with homely sounding fellow Manchester lasses to get things adjusted.

We've both been long supporters of the Co-op right from the days of our local Industrial and Equitable 'Stores' of our south Pennine mill village youth.

Sadly the oldest Co-op after the Rochdale Pioneers - in Blaydon (!) has just closed, overshadowed by a big new Morrisons, without any public laments. It was the local industrialist Cowens (of Blaydon Races fame) who set it up.

He'd also financed Garibaldi's Red Shirts via gold smuggled into southern Italy in cargoes of Blaydon Burn firebricks- (not a lot of people know this :jester: )

dh

• Like 16

News just in.

Neighbour's daughter has been found safe and well..  

Thank you. Most relieved to hear this.

Younger actor son suffered this years ago at a job interview  in Camden - asked to do an evening Restaurant shift - didn't get the job, didn't get paid. Subsequently got excellent job at posh restaurant 'RSJ' by the National Theatre which led to a lot more work.

Plus - we didn't find out till quite recently that our daughter when working down the smoke - HoD at very big S London comp - was attacked in the subway acrioss to Charing+ station from Trafalgar Square on her way home from the theatre one evening.

She woke up next morning on a bench in Walthamstow and has never subsequently been able to fill in the gap.

Hers was an eventful time in London, doing a PGCE at Goldsmiths. She had her hair set on fire from behind coming up on the escalator at Stockwell!

dh

Edited by runs as required

Just realised my earlier postings make me sound a bit like a wannabe property tycoon- sadly not! House no. 1 we have been renting on a fairly amicable arrangement from a member of Laura's family, bought as investment a while back- he's kindly allowed us to live there for a few years while saving for our own place. House no. 2 is "our own place", after about a year of searching we revised expectations and found somewhere. This rather pleasant arrangement allowed us to redecorate the new place without the hassle of living in it, so we sort of migrated across instead of moving in one go. As a result we kept the first place on for quite a while, said family member being undecided about renting it out to a more normal tenant or selling it on. He's decided on the latter, put it on the market a few days ago and accepted what we think was a very good offer today, hence the sudden requirement to sort the bills out!

I've got a bit of a soft spot for the Co Op having worked there for 5 years on and off through 6th form and then uni- I grumble about working in retail & I'd never want to go back  but I quite  enjoyed it really and they were good to us. The staff on the phones are unfailingly lovely, the rates are good, but the system is a pain in the proverbial!

Relieved to hear Rick's neighbour is OK, if I suspect a little disgruntled. Continuing to have fingers crossed for DD's MiL, and I don't think we've had an update on Jock's space hopper yet either, hoping it's starting to get more pogo stick instead...

• Like 10

All the best to all. My thoughts are with those continuing to endure pain, suffering and other nuisances.

The neighbour's 18-year old daughter has gone missing. It's out of character for her to not keep to her routine, she has no known "other half" and she failed to keep two appointments today. Her phone and diary were found at home. Parents and brother are out looking for her; we are are extremely concerned.

Rick,

That is terrible news about your neighbour's daughter - let's hope there is a happy outcome, but in these days of Internet grooming etc........... Every parent needs to be vigilant. Our thoughts are with the family and friends,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Just read Rick's update thank you mate, but thanks also to DD for enlightening me - a relief to say the least as it really is every parent's nightmare!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B

Good to hear the result from Rick - certainly a load off everyone's minds after what probably worried them enormously!

HUMP day on Long Island, means I've only one more "wake up" before I can head home, albeit just for the weekend.

Nothing happening here of note, cockwombles unable to predict when the new "go live" date for the system will be, currently Feb. 1st is a candidate, but a bit doubtful right now.

Think I might scour the threads and see if I can't find the "idiots" Pete alluded to, I feel like maybe a few riot inducing contrary posts may be a worthwhile activity to wake me up :jester:

-3 by the time I drove in, sunny and expecting to make 4 for a high.

Ladies & Gentlemen, start your engines...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I understand she has been found, Jock.

Tell us when it's OK to laugh at your space hopper description!

She has indeed; see my more recent post above.

Jock is allowed to be slightly behind the news as he's one of us who surely reads every post and then spends a long time replying thoughtfully to most of them.  And in trying personal circumstances too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It isn't just restaurants that make use of interviewees labour. I went for an alleged interview and like all the other candidates had to write a report about reorganising the department. The interview was clearly designed to make one decline the post. Chatting later to some of the candidates we concurred that there was no job, they just wanted some cheap advice.

I think the sales legally begin today, but I will not be in Le Mans looking for bargains I don't actually need.

You are not wrong in your assumptions Ian. My wife is presently sat using her tablet to view the Cassis.be sales offers of female clothing. She often shops there when we are in Belgium.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear the result from Rick - certainly a load off everyone's minds after what probably worried them enormously!

HUMP day on Long Island, means I've only one more "wake up" before I can head home, albeit just for the weekend.

Nothing happening here of note, cockwombles unable to predict when the new "go live" date for the system will be, currently Feb. 1st is a candidate, but a bit doubtful right now.

Think I might scour the threads and see if I can't find the "idiots" Pete alluded to, I feel like maybe a few riot inducing contrary posts may be a worthwhile activity to wake me up :jester:

-3 by the time I drove in, sunny and expecting to make 4 for a high.

Ladies & Gentlemen, start your engines...

You might not have to look too far Ian - it must be the mild weather or something but there seems to be an outbreak of dumbos all around us.

I've already exploded, fairly gently, at them several times in one thread where they seem to be of the 'I know how to run a railway because I'm a trainspotter' variety (on the other hand it could be Christian W*lm*r signed on under a s/n - hadn't thought of that possibility).

• Like 2

All the Co-op talk today makes me question again just how 'ethical' they are or perhaps they use a different set of ethics.

In the summer a bottle of Pimms cost £10.

Early Nov it was back at around £13+.

Week before Xmas it was £17+

is it me or is that very slightly not ethical? After all it isnt even Fairtrade Pimms!

We used to have 2 Co-ops in the town, about 500 metres apart. Many prices varied from one to the other and quite steeply at times.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from a slightly brighter village.  Thanks very much to everyone for ehte supportive comments and rating re Beth's problems.  She is now hobbling round the house and things seem to ne calming down.  Following the Dr's advice to try and walk normally, if slowly and to try and let the foot relax in the process. 

The towball has been duly fitted, an no I dodn't put her in her wheelchair and tow her to the hospital.

I had to wait about 4 hours for the fitting in South Leeds near the river Aire.  The area used to be my beat in the 1970's.   I had planned to take the bus into town to meet a firend but decided to walk along the river bank..  I thoroughly enjoyed the walk looking at the signs of the recent flooding.   The debris in the trees was at time above my head height.  At lest to landing stages had been badly damaged or washed down river and there was a lot of signs of ongoing clean/clearing up operations.  At least one underground car park in a new block of flats was still being umped out.   However it was fascinating to see how much wildlife there was on the river with swans, cormarants and moorhens.  In the 70's the river was dead.   A guy I spoke to said that he catches a lot of fish there now incuding a 32lb pike.  

I met Tony for a coffee and we went an inspected the new southern entrance to Leeds Station.  This is a most impresive structure built over the river Aire (Whuch flows under the stattion at that point) and was well worth having a look at.  They've extended some of the viaduct piers to create foundations.  Much of the work had to be done from barges anchored in the river. 

I wish that I'd taken my camera.

Rick, very glad that your friends daughter got home safely.   However modern employment practices like that appear to be a sign of the times.  All my three have had very bad epxeriences of the so called 'flexible labout market.'

Regards to everyone adn thanks again.

Jamie

• Like 7

Rick I gave your post about the finding of your neighbours daughter a 'funny' simply because no comedy script writer could dream up such a scenario.

Glad she was found safe and agree about the interview/work thing. But is working better or worse than making "the tallest structure" out of Spaghetti and blue tac?

Greetings all, meeting with the Revenue dealt with and not too much collateral damage.

Glad that Rick's neighbor has been found and sorry to hear that Jock is still struggling. As long as he doesn't go a lurid orange as well...

It was to be the departmental Christmas lunch today but it has been postponed to various illnesses. Which is good in some ways as I was already due to go for beer and curry tonight as it was. I will shift the extra Christmas pounds. Just not this week.!

I have been having a debate with Mrs Lurker about the amount of calories you burn while being relatively sedentary. She reckoned that my estimate of 1500 a day was way too high and that 500 was about right. I have found a website that has a calculator which takes account sex, age, height, weight and gives you a calory usage for being totally sedentary (ie just sleeping). Turns out for me I had underestimated and it is approx. 1900. That must be several extra poppadums, especially as I plan to walk to the venue (by Waterloo) which means I won't be totally sedentary....

Now I think it is time to go and find a few of the above mentioned threads.....

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all from a slightly brighter village.  Thanks very much to everyone for ehte supportive comments and rating re Beth's problems.  She is now hobbling round the house and things seem to ne calming down.  Following the Dr's advice to try and walk normally, if slowly and to try and let the foot relax in the process. 

The towball has been duly fitted, an no I dodn't put her in her wheelchair and tow her to the hospital.

I had to wait about 4 hours for the fitting in South Leeds near the river Aire.  The area used to be my beat in the 1970's.   I had planned to take the bus into town to meet a firend but decided to walk along the river bank..  I thoroughly enjoyed the walk looking at the signs of the recent flooding.   The debris in the trees was at time above my head height.  At lest to landing stages had been badly damaged or washed down river and there was a lot of signs of ongoing clean/clearing up operations.  At least one underground car park in a new block of flats was still being umped out.   However it was fascinating to see how much wildlife there was on the river with swans, cormarants and moorhens.  In the 70's the river was dead.   A guy I spoke to said that he catches a lot of fish there now incuding a 32lb pike.  

I met Tony for a coffee and we went an inspected the new southern entrance to Leeds Station.  This is a most impresive structure built over the river Aire (Whuch flows under the stattion at that point) and was well worth having a look at.  They've extended some of the viaduct piers to create foundations.  Much of the work had to be done from barges anchored in the river. 

I wish that I'd taken my camera.

Rick, very glad that your friends daughter got home safely.   However modern employment practices like that appear to be a sign of the times.  All my three have had very bad epxeriences of the so called 'flexible labout market.'

Regards to everyone adn thanks again.

Jamie

Will that new entrance make it easier to get to the HOP pub under the arches?

Its quite impressive walking under Leeds station past the parking and the river flowing under the station.

Turns out for me I had underestimated and it is approx. 1900. 

I think I would take that figure with a large dose of salt. I think Mrs. Lurker has it about right. They do say that if you look hard enough you will always find someone who tells you what you want to hear.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Will that new entrance make it easier to get to the HOP pub under the arches?

Its quite impressive walking under Leeds station past the parking and the river flowing under the station.

Yes it should.  The entrance is an extension of the wide footbridge/transfer deck at the west end of the station and goes down to the dark arches with direct access into them vi a new footbridge over the river, and then a side entrance that goes onto walkways that lead out onto the granary wharf area and the back of the Hilton hotel.  There are escalators down to the river level.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Whilst still working I went to Leeds quite a few times to hold project meetings. I never knew there was a river underneath the station.  Train travel was the best way to get to meetings as I would pack a slaters wagon and some tools in my briefcase and build it on the train.

Don

• Like 10

I once worked with a Leeds City Conservation officer who was a Larger than Life character, despite being 'small but perfectly formed' . He had an excellent singing voice and was much in demand as a prominent local amateur opera singer.

We were on a York university assignment together trying to help Chinese historic cities make the most of their heritage assets in economic development. This was a hopeless task in the face of powerful Mayors who much preferred tearing down and rebuilding.

But our witty LCO kept us all afloat by being a BIG success on the Karioki machines and in devising hilarious  'cunning plans' for staying sober despite the best attempts of the Mayors to humiliate by getting us legless.

I last saw him late one night in Leeds after returning from from China (via Ringway airport) together on the train. He proudly showed me around a forgotten bit of station he'd opened up after everyone had forgotten about it and also likewise a forgotten cinema.

dh

• Like 15