The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

BIN day, dutifully observed.

Uneventful yesterday except for the fact the phone rang twice yesterday evening - junk calls, but the phone RANG nonetheless.

It's now appeared to be working since then every time we pick it up to check! Therefore no idea what the problem was the past 5 days, it's simply gone away! :jester:

-6 and overcast getting the paper, and some light snow falling, not expected to amount to what is referred to as "measurable" around these parts.-4 for a forecast high.

Carry on...

I will log your fault as F.N.F. fault not found. It seems I would not have able to make a visit as the airline companies would not accept my ladders as "hand luggage".

As to faults coming and going, my bet is damp is getting in somewhere and then drying out. Ah the joy of been retired, especially as I listen to the rain pitter pattering on the windows.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I just wrote up a few lines about our "Interchange Node" practice for late night tram services on my RMweb blog: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1910/entry-17321-the-interchange-node-practice-in-leipzig/. Might be of particular interest for Bill Bishop and Keith (tetsudofan) for their Leipzig visit!

• Like 5

Jock, so sorry to hear the news about your chemo but at least it's kept going for 32 months - as others have said your inspiration is valiant and we're all thinking of you. Hoping the new treatment is effective, but sure your oncologist knows what they're doing.

Mal 

Although this posting does not come under the heading of "early" there is a reason for that.

Last evening at the East Riding Finescale group meeting in the "shed", it was noticed that fellow member Colin Stark (of Black Cat Baseboards fame)was struggling to stand upright and he was ordered to sit down on a stool. He complained of feeling dizzy and clammy. Mally Baker's wife was brought in from the big house, her been a retired nurse, and it was decided hospital was the place to be for Colin.

Whilst we waited for the ambulance to arrive,Colin decided to decorate the carpet. The ambulance arrived quite quickly and after Colin was examined, a trip to A & E was the order of the day.

I have just rung his home and spoken to Colin, who was discharged at midnight, diagnosed with an inner ear infection. If he rests as ordered he will be fine. Another panic over but another lesson in the fact that we are all getting older.

Thanks all round to everyone concerned.

"So" says I, "I'd better move some stuff around for this new settee"

'Er indoors sticks her head around the door and says "But you can get the carpet down before it arrives?"

"WTF? Carpet? Eh?"

"The one that will be here in two minutes "

So ...

Carpet down, settee in place, totally cream crackered now. Grandson was a great help - locked me out of the house.

I think with all the brownie points I must have earned this week, it's time to tell explain to SWMBO where the new portable baseboard is going to live. 

(Or maybe not)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wishing you all a good afternoon from red dragon land.

So dark this morning we both overslept!

Visibility about 3 miles so no view of Anglesey and, yes, it's raining, showers with sunny intervals, anyway.

So sorry to hear of your news Jock.  See, even the weather's rooting for you because the sun is out to cheer you up, usually in the smiles and love of those around you as your smiles and love bring sunshine into their lives, I bet.  Love and prayers to you and your family and friends, anyway.  Just keep planning that layout of yours...put your CME's hat on and get down on the track; change it over historical time; map it out; draw it; imagine all those little people scurrying around doing something; call them by name; note what they are doing and wearing, and all their little idiosyncrasies and characteristics; imagine all the buildings on the map and their architectural importance - can't have it demolished by some new network because it's in the way of progress! Always imagine the future that goes with it.  What will be preserved or scrapped? What is new and what has already stood for some time? It'll depend on how it'll be built!  What locos kept their earlier emblems long past their use by dates?  Imagine the railway landscape and what it's like living and working down there.  Get involved with the everyday running of your railway.  What is coming and going?  Where is it going to and coming from?  Everyday is a new day.  What's happening?  Why's the train late?  What's the latest?  Ooooo.  Station Master's got a new bike....!  But then, maybe, not everyone is as sad as I am!  And if you want to build it, even a 4ft x 1ft section of it will be a very satisfying occupation especially if you can get family to do the bits you can't, speaking from (the use of one arm only) experience.   We sold our little plank a year ago.  I really missed it because it wasn't just an inglenook of track but a way of life that had grown down there with all it's history, and it was something we could all share in - even our (grown up) kids.  (They still refer to themselves as The Kids.  Funny life, isn't it!)

Sun still shining and hope the sun shines on you all.

• Like 19

Meeting of predicted doom postponed due to IT failure, not as doomish as expected although still bad news- one of our senior designers is leaving, so we were informed of that & the resulting responsibility shuffle. Shame, he's a good bloke- both in terms of ability and as a person.

But nowhere near as bad as we were anticipating from the tone of the email telling us to attend, so alright really.

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 1

Our boiler is a Vaillant fitted about five years ago by the independent gas fitter/plumber we were recommended, we have had no problems with it. He fitted it under the stairs where access is through a door in the cloakroom and is a tightish fit. Fortunately he is built like a whippet and has no trouble getting in there for the annual service which he does for £45 which we think is pretty reasonable. Some of our neighbours have British Gas and the engineer who does their servicing is a lardy bloke who could not possibly get through the door to the boiler. One reason for avoiding BG, although we are phoned daily by someone who wants to sell us a either a new boiler or service contract. 

Stay safe all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Finally arrived after visiting Drac's daughter (a different one for a change, very pleasant lady but very nurse like in giving a  list of do's and don't's but at least she stuck the needle in the right place and filled various phials quickly).  All minor compared with Jock's situation of course and trusting that the new medication will do its stuff Jock.

Day otherwise consumed by getting well soaked walking to & from the surgery but actually managing to get into the Waitrose car park locally for once and now a vacuum cleaner awaits my tender controlling action - so I'm told.

Off to Cardiff tomorrow and taking due care not to upset any armed or muddy hippos.  Now the other important task, do trains serve breakfast on Saturday?  Somehow I expect not but at least that will save £19 18 (it's a darned good breakfast) - but the service isn't available on Saturdays, which i thought would be the case .

Have a good remaining part of the day one & all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 12

It always seems to be the good ones that leave.  The ones that are pumpkin positive stay around forever!

Just before I retired, we had dropped on our section a real "pumpkin". He never answered the phone and if he did, the caller would hang up and call one of us.

Shortly after I retired, the firm introduced a scheme whereby if an employee could prove he (or she) was worthy of more money, the firm would pay it. This "pumpkin" evidently went to see the boss and told him he wanted more money! The boss explained the scheme to him and was told if he didn't get more money, then he would get the "pumpkin's" notice. "That would have to be in writing" the boss replied. A short time later said written notice arrived and the boss rushed it over to headquarters personally. The "pumpkin" left much to everyone's delight but six weeks later he was on the phone asking for his job back. Needless to say, he was unsuccessful!    

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 14

Jock...all been said <sigh> but I'm in awe of your resilience. Thinking of you and your family, and your dogged determination. It's an example for us all.  :declare:

POETS day, little to report from yesterday, so on with today.

Watching the east coast storm progress from here, if NYC and Long Island get too much, it'll be a mess there and may prompt me to re-schedule (i.e. abandon) the coming trip starting Sunday. Last thing I need is to be stuck in airport delays followed by impassable roads and no clients present in their office all week. Much prefer to just stay home here!

Right now -7 and snow flurries again, picked up a mere 1 inch yesterday though it took all day to arrive. High expected to be the present temp, and light accumulation.

POE if possible everyone.

Ok, so today's achievement was to fix swmbo's phone.

Technically this involved driving said phone to a mobile phone shop and asking a young person to fix it. 

Nevertheless, I feel that my ability to manage the process is worth some credit.

"How did you fix it?", asked swmbo.

"Well, first of all we need to negotiate. I'm thinking that fixing it deserves a pass to the pub."

"YES!"

"Brill. Oh, and next time it breaks, I'll fix it again!"

:drink_mini:

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Finally arrived after visiting Drac's daughter (a different one for a change, very pleasant lady but very nurse like in giving a  list of do's and don't's but at least she stuck the needle in the right place and filled various phials quickly).  All minor compared with Jock's situation of course and trusting that the new medication will do its stuff Jock.

Day otherwise consumed by getting well soaked walking to & from the surgery but actually managing to get into the Waitrose car park locally for once and now a vacuum cleaner awaits my tender controlling action - so I'm told.

Off to Cardiff tomorrow and taking due care not to upset any armed or muddy hippos.  Now the other important task, do trains serve breakfast on Saturday?  Somehow I expect not but at least that will save £19 18 (it's a darned good breakfast) - but the service isn't available on Saturdays, which i thought would be the case .

Have a good remaining part of the day one & all.

There are two Wetherspoons near Cardiff Central and for the price we like the breakfast.

Will be in one in Brum tomorrow morning before setting off for Stourbridge and Dudley etc.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Off to Cardiff tomorrow and taking due care not to upset any armed or muddy hippos.  7

I could be persuaded to arrive at the venue via Bromsgrove Street and bring you a Clarkes Pie.

The onus would be on you to find me before I scoff them all.

Tears of a Clown have nothing on tears of a Stationmaster when seeing just a few shortcrust crumbs adhering to my whiskers!

No news on the Rolley boys producing any BrAIns (Beer not grey matter!)

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I decided that the satnav could guide me today rather than using the detailed road map of Wales which resides between my ears.

This was an error as not being techno savvy, I was unable to program it away from it's apparent default setting of:

Take windiest road behind multiple tractors which are closely followed by large groups of cockwombles.

I believe I may have stumbled onto a fact, that the aforementioned groups are attracted to the orange flashing beacon on slow moving vehicles in much the same way as are moths to a bright light.

My mother has forbidden the creation of a muddy hollow in her garden, so the Stationmaster will not be faced with my muddier self tomorrow at the Cardiff show. Neither will I be 'packing heat'.

• Like 2

Good evening all. Jock, your news really upset me as it reminded me of my Mum's fight with this bloody awful disease, Please keep fighting for your family's sake-they need you around for as long as possible.

I drove my friend's Mum to Addenbrooks Hospital in Cambridge yesterday, as she was too ill to do it. It is Mahoosive, like a city out of Star Wars. They have built a new road to get straight from the M11 to the hospital, and this runs past acres of new "housing". Have we not learnt the lessons of the slums we built in the 60's? This stuff is ugly and cramped and people deserve better.

Our party consisted of Jess, who is 88 and wobbly, Brian who is totally blind but in reasonable shape and his daughter Janet who is young, fit and strong. She is also registered blind, but has some sight. I don't understand how much she can see and she is fiercely independent. Me, I'm just fat and lazy. Each of us has a "blue badge" so I think we had a right to park in a disabled bay! The others made a fine sight as they set off to find the appointment. Jess was in a rented wheelchair with Janet pushing and Brian holding on to find the way. I just minded the car. So, how many does it take to go to an appointment?

Ken and Hayley are up for a couple of days before they return to work next week. They have a beautiful memories box of little Pip that the hospital gave them which included some photo's. He had perfect little hands and feet, but not much of a head. They made prints of his feet, and these will be incorporated into the tattoos. The  gave them a "birth certificate" which gave an age of 14 weeks and a birth weight of 24 grams. That's less than an ounce.

Ken's first words to me were "please don't say you're sorry". There were hugs and tears but I did my best to keep strong.

Best wishes to all

Ed

Evening all. Today has been a hard day. Amber was sick all over our bed before work and my cold symptoms were worse than ever today. Work proved a struggle and the last thing I needed was an after away school sports fixture. Thankfully I just had to turn up and watch and the teacher from the host school ran the whole event.

Our issues are nothing compared to Jock's news. There really are no words I can add. However, like everyone who has gone before, I would like to wish you well sir. I hope the new medication can, at least, ease the pain or, at best, slows the progress of your illness. Keep fighting you really are an inspiration to each and everyone on these pages.

I haven't felt too well since the weekend, did too much at and especially after the St Albans show. A bit of a headache and a humdinger of a cold sore. However, trivial compared to others' plights.

Ian, Mike and I are involved in the TfL thread, won't be long before it's locked!

Best wishes to all.

Bill