The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The visiting speaker for Aditi's French language group is staying here on Wednesday. He hasn't answered any other Aditi's communications about when, where or if he needs to be collected on whether he has any special dietary needs. So far all Aditi knows is he is travelling from Southampton and is talking about Proust.

Tony

Maybe he's just too busy searching for his lost time?

Hat, coat etc

• Like 4

Good job I didn't reply to Ian's post about abandoning France. I was going to say he would probably quite like rural Essex!

I heard that he has thing about “stockings” and “white stilettos”...................he’d like it.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good job I didn't reply to Ian's post about abandoning France. I was going to say he would probably quite like rural Essex!

We did nearly move to Arkesden in 1989, but our house in Kent wouldn't sell fast enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I heard that he has thing about “stockings” and “white stilettos”...................he’d like it.

Best, Pete.

Stockings are our generation, aren't they? Still quite a few grown-up ladies wear them, thank goodness. Less convinced about white stilettos, but I'd cope.

• RMweb Premium

Have been home from a fairly calm shift for a while now. Driving on Sundays is not too bad, as a matter of fact, with fewer people and traffic being around.

Dinner will be a bit early today as I'll be on early shifts for the next two days, meaning I'll need to get up in the middle of the night. Followed by two days off, though!

dsc0098921jpq.jpg

The town of Schkeuditz was sleepy still when I first arrived there on 1233 "Augsburg." For reasons I do not know yet, re-labeling our trams with the new logos seems to be indefinitely delayed. Or perhaps there might be truth to certain claims that an all-new livery is being prepared…

dsc009933ckf4.jpg

On Sundays when we are running on a 15-minute interval during the day, turns on Line 11 are planned such that while Markkleeberg Ost is served every 15 minutes, services alternate between Schkeuditz and Wahren on the other end, so that every second turn turns back at Wahren and Schkeuditz is served every 30 minutes. Here, 1209 "Frankfurt am Main", one of those early NGT12s recently outfitted with coloured LED frontal destination signs is stood on Father Aurelius Square.

dsc00994z0j08.jpg

It's interesting to note that several of the NGT12 fleet such as it existed at the time of the 2006 football world championship had been named for those cities which had been match venues. After the championship, these labels were soon modified to read, "City with Trams". By coincidence, Frankfurt also is one of those cities with which Leipzig has a twinning agreement.

dsc00996eyj2h.jpg

And in Markkleeberg, 1209 was also treated to a few rays of sunlight.

As I also passed Dölitz several times, I took this snapshot from outside the construction site while stood at the outbound stop…

img_0614s3usr.jpg

Work at the depot has been progressing well and we expect that it can be reopened on schedule this summer. The façade of the old car shed has been preserved and erected as a portico for the outbound tracks.

img_0615tzuxb.jpg

An extended stretch of Georg-Schumann-Straße up in Möckern will be extensively renewed during the next eight months. During this period, tram operation will be single-tracked, first on the inbound track from 21 March till 24 June, and then on the outbound track from 27 June till 30 September. To this end, temporary points will be installed on the weekend of 19 and 20 March.

img_0616vlupz.jpg

I do not have any information as to how work is progressing at the water mains repair site which is the reason for the present diversion of Lines 10 and 11 through Arthur-Hoffmann-Straße and Richard-Lehmann-Straße, but it is expected to be completed next weekend. Here, I was stood ahead of Roßplatz where I needed to wait for Line 16 to clear the inbound platform.

In this type of situation, it is, in general, good practice to wait ahead of the point which would be able to function as the last chance to divert, should that become necessary due to unexpected incidents on the route. There are, however, a couple of locations where, by contrast, it's customary to proceed onto a point, though in the event of a diversion becoming necessary, this would entail having to back up to be able to reset it as required.

Dinner is in preparation as I type, so if I shouldn't be able to chime in again tonight, enjoy your evening! :yes:

• Like 15

Stockings are our generation, aren't they? Still quite a few grown-up ladies wear them, thank goodness. Less convinced about white stilettos, but I'd cope.

Some of us have worn white stockings whilst in hospital!

Don't mention the "laughing band" by the way. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Don't mention the "laughing band" by the way.

I've worn something similar on an aeroplane. Does that count?

The "laughing band" aka The Grin!

• RMweb Premium

Are the supportive ratings meant to describe the effect of the stockings?

Seriously, they are pretty horrible, and are very difficult to put on and take off - and if you only get one pair off the NHS, and need to wear them for several weeks, they can get quite ripe.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think white stiletto shoes were that popular this far out in Essex, more former Essex eg Romford or close to the M25 Essex like Brentwood. There is no point asking Aditi about such things, Hobbits have problems adapting to shoes. I shall ask my neighbour, Becky, about current Essex fashion. She use to buy fashions for a trendy store before settling down to domestic bliss out here in the land of the estuary.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Barney and Alfie were on sleep over Friday night, an idiot neighbour said one of them had a dump on his front garden I laughed and walk off when I see it it was near to the size of what a cat does in your flower bed, he's the only pillock that owns cats in the Close and believe me no cats from other streets come around when these two are staying over.

Lovely boys aren't they.  :laugh:

post-8647-0-25865600-1457288058_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

I didn't realise until reading the BBC website today that Britain was nearly brought to it's knees with the recent flooding in Cumbria.

The flood waters submerged Carlisle's McVitie's factory ovens, halting production of custard creams, bourbons, ginger nuts and table water biscuits. Apparently production of ginger nuts has now started again and our supermarket shelves should soon be full once again.

Crumbs we were close to disaster there!

• Like 1

I didn't realise until reading the BBC website today that Britain was nearly brought to it's knees with the recent flooding in Cumbria.

The flood waters submerged Carlisle's McVitie's factory ovens, halting production of custard creams, bourbons, ginger nuts and table water biscuits. Apparently production of ginger nuts has now started again and our supermarket shelves should soon be full once again.

Crumbs we were close to disaster there!

Wasn't it Cornish Wafers last time they flooded?

Well folks, 80 pages have passed since I last looked in so I'm afraid I feel a bit if a fraud for asking for some help and advice :(

But if you don't mind I'm a bit apprehensive about something I'll shortly have to deal with. I'll try to keep it short by saying simply that before Christmas I didn't really know I'd got a real problem, but in the intervening weeks I've had x-rays, clinic consultation and been told I have to have a full hip replacement.

And I was expecting perhaps physio with maybe steroid jab at the worst! :(

Must be bad as it's getting worse week on week.

Anyone out there who can tell me what I'm in for?

Thanks.

Andy, MiL had her hip done 3 years ago. Took her about 6 months to fully regain her mobility and strength but she's more mobile and pain free than she'd been in many years. At the rate I'm deteriorating, a knee replacement is in the next 5-7 years and a hip shortly after.

• Like 1

Cruqmbs we were close to disaster there!

Yep, they might have had to lmport them from Canada - if it is allowed by the EU.....

Best, Pete

• Like 1

I'm told that cos I'm young for the OP, recovery should be pretty quick - just don't know what to expect in the early days.

I understand it is not pleasant whatever your age.... Over here they get you on your feet and home asap.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, they might have had to lmport them from Canada - if it is allowed by the EU.....

Best, Pete

Must be allowed! My favourite savoury biscuit selection (Tesco Finest) are made in Canada.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Torbay expect to replace Sherry's hip this year. What is sad is that in 2005 she had the other hip resurfaced, and has had no trouble with it in all those years. Resurfacing is no longer practised by the NHS after a number of such ops were less successful.

Had a great day with my great grandson at Preston model railway show. Highlight was an elephant squirting water into his granddad's face when he bent to take a closer look at a model of the Darjeeling Railway. I thought it was quite funny too.  

• Like 12

Are the supportive ratings meant to describe the effect of the stockings?

Seriously, they are pretty horrible, and are very difficult to put on and take off - and if you only get one pair off the NHS, and need to wear them for several weeks, they can get quite ripe.

I got my stockings changed every other day by an auxiliary who washed my feet also. When discharged from hospital, I had three pairs of stockings in total. On my last day as I waited for tablets, a couple of junior nurses arrived and asked "Mr. Wass, can we look at your bottom?" "Of course" I replied, "I thought you would never ask". They were looking for bed sores of course.