Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

So did we! A week there and then a train to St Wolfgang for the second week.

Bavaria Flug from Abbotsinch to Munich. Unfortunately, the BAC 1-11 aborted the takeoff due to an oil pressure problem in one engine. We had to wait 12 hours for a replacement aircraft.

A few days later we were on a bus tour to the Dolomites when we heard about the massacre at the Olympics in Munich.

Morning!  Flying visit, off to Uxbridge shortly.  45 minutes in the garden yesterday, more dock leaves consigned to compost.  Best wishes to ailing/recovering/supporters.  Full dose of drivel tomorrow.

Chris

• Like 15

Morning all. Another morning where I feel like I haven't slept which means lots of coffee.

Again more driving than working. Heading off to St Albans for a short job and then to Shooters Hill. At least I should be finished fairly early as long as the traffic behaves.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

Oh but bus routes of my youth are confined to Scotland, Western SMT route 29 Kilmarnock to Darvel, which was variously served by Leyland PD2, then PD3, PD3A/30, Albion Lowlines, the ocasional Bristol Lodekka when some were transferred from (I think) Greenock, then Daimler Fleetlines, operated with a conductor.  Some of these were pretty nippy, and the PD3A/30 were very fleet of foot.  Most were open platform initially, but many later got non powered conductor operated doors, which mostly weren't closed unless the passengers did the honours - Health and Safety, eat your heart out.

If the Lodekkas were FLFs (front entrance), I would be surprised if they came from Greenock. Greenock liked their 'Big Bristols' (a term without any second meaning in SW Scotland at that time) and successively rejected Albion Lowlanders, Bristol VRs and Daimler Fleetlines as replacements. Many of the FLFs which came to Western as swaps from English companies for VRs went to Greenock. The other Western garage with a lot of Lodekkas was Johnstone - maybe they came from there.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It is Mrs BoD's birthday this coming weekend and so I am forced to venture to the big city to facilitate the purchasing of suitable offerings. My cup of misery overfloweth.

• Like 2

Morning All,

We have a rather gloomy morning in this part of the world.  I am back in the office this morning after our run up to Kiel on Thursday and back on Friday.  I ended up doing a month's driving in two days.  Mercedes is at home today as the cats are going to the Vet to be castrated - which makes me wince just thinking about it!

I had an "interesting" find on Saturday while sweeping the pavement outside my house.  Believe it or not, a 9mm round!  I was pretty sure it was a blank - but not being an expert, and not wanting to take any risks, I took it down to the local police station and handed it in.  It turns out, they have been having problems with youths firing blanks in the area - thankfully, it turned out to be a blank.  The Policewoman asked me to call them if we heard any gunfire :O

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

A few days later we were on a bus tour to the Dolomites when we heard about the massacre at the Olympics in Munich.

Some of us watched it live on tv! These days there would be no way that would be broadcast, I suspect.

As for Big Bristols, I am reminded that a couple of weeks ago I had roasted a chicken for lunch. When it came to carving, both my guests said they preferred breast, while, as Sherry will confirm, I am definitely a leg man. My guests were Sherry and Alison!

Overcast and dull, and the crow-scarer has just woken up. I have to see the GP today, but merely routine.

Hope your week goes well.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

A bit gloomy here in Surrey too this morning and that's not just because it's Monday or a number of cancelled trains!

At least 4 trains cancelled from Redhill due to staff shortage and big queues at the ticket machines going out of the doors as the ticket windows are all shut. Not a good start to the week.

Was not a good day yesterday on the railways worldwide with three crashes. Amtrak in PA struck a track workers machine overhanging the running line apparently plus a crash in Thailand aswell as the Plymouth incident.

This weekend our TT scale Czech layout Smrzovka is at the Crawley MRS show in Horsham. First time out in two years.

• Like 1

Morning All,

..........Mercedes is at home today as the cats are going to the Vet to be castrated - which makes me wince just thinking about it!..................

............. they have been having problems with youths firing blanks in the area............

No offspring for cats or chaps then!!

Morning all. A 7am alarm means I am an ER in holiday terms. I have a delivery coming today and typical of Argos their window covers a mere 13 hours from 7am. If, as is their usual arrangement, it is delivered by Yodel I expect it will come to Derby via Outer Mongolia and not arrive until Wednesday! But just in case they deem it fit to be efficient and deliver early I had better be up and dressed!

Should the items arrive at a decent time it will mean some flat pack construction - two cupboards to tidy up the railway room. If my measurements are correct one layout should sit neatly on top of them and the stock boxes and general "junk" (as Sarah calls it) should be hidden away inside.

The girls are still sleeping away upstairs. Amber's spots are scabbing over now, however she did wake up after only half an hour last night. Sweat was streaming off her and she was very distressed. We think the plastic mattress cover, added under her sheet when we opted to remove her nightly pull ups, is making her sweat more than normal and this is irritating her spots. She lay next to me in our bed and fell asleep for the rest of the night. After the previous two evenings she was exhausted bless her. Sarah is equally tired as she fielded Amber's late night wandering so the previous night.

The second week of the school's Easter break has dawned wet and overcast again. Where is the hot weather we have been told we are going to get?? More paperwork is on the agenda for today. I got quite a bit done yesterday so at least I am finally making progress. I must admit that I am beginning to resent the impact the large amount of paperwork is having on the holiday and time with family. I am also worrying about my stress levels over recent times. More than once my mind has started to wander and think of alternative career paths. At 40 years of age, and with a long mortgage to pay, I doubt there is much scope for a career change now of course. It is gratifying to know that most teachers feel the same. One day the people in charge may wake up, smell the roses, and realise the negative effects the constant changes to the education system and the pressures of league tables / Ofsted can have on the people who lay the foundations for the next generation. One day they will ease off the pressure and let us teach. On that day Satan will be skating to work!

Morning All,

I had an "interesting" find on Saturday while sweeping the pavement outside my house.  Believe it or not, a 9mm round!  I was pretty sure it was a blank - but not being an expert, and not wanting to take any risks, I took it down to the local police station and handed it in.  It turns out, they have been having problems with youths firing blanks in the area - thankfully, it turned out to be a blank.  The Policewoman asked me to call them if we heard any gunfire :O

Have a good day everyone...

"sweeping the pavement"-no wonder Dom's pictures of Germany are so litter-free if everyone has this attitude.

Ed

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

It's raining here in the North West Leeds highlands.

Her indoors got up as a very EER to take Dr Herbert to the station for a train to Hull.

Apparently this week has been designated as "catchupwithallthehouseholdjobs" week....pah!

In between that I have to go to an AGM, have a meeting at the Warley Club and visit the eye clinic at the LGI for a quick 'photo session'.

Have a good week and hope to hear from Jock.

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a somewhat damp village. The boss has departed fro Asda and coffee with a friend before shopping.  I will be setting off for a committee meeting in an hour.  That will take the morning.  The afternoon will be spent getting bits of layout up to the church ready for the running week.  Then an AGM this evening will round off a fairly busy day.  Such is retirement.   Yesterday went well with a lovely warm day.  I made the most of it by doing some carpentry in the afternoon sun.  In the evening some friends came round for a drink and we had a lovely evening sitting round the firepit in the back garden as I disposed of some old fence panels and some parts of Long Preston (Dismantled 5 years ago).   The back garden is now tidier.  The friends were in need of a bit of support as their daughter had left for a year's backpacking round the far east with her fiancée.   They were duly supported and a good evening was had.

Hope that we hear something from Jock.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

Greetings all, first day back from an extended Easter break. I tried not to look at my work e-mails while I was off, but did need to intervene a couple of times to prevent spreadsheet king making total cock ups. Judging by something my boss has said, he's had intervene a few more times. Could be interesting conversations when they are both back in the office themselves.

The week off was fairly relaxing and we enjoyed a few family day trips out.

I have had no time to catch up (and no post from Jock to shortcut) so commiserations and best wishes to all.

Have a good day!

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning, grey and damp here which is getting to be the scenario to often for my liking.

Eldest son escaping the cold of Stockholm and coming home today till Friday. Other half has been baking his favourite  cakes, at least I get to sample.

Enjoy your day folks

Alan

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The track beds in the northern end of the railway plot were re dug and the lawn edging put into create a nice joint between the ballast bed and terra firma.

A little bit of back filling will be required once the ballast is in to tidy up the outer edges.

Weed barrier was laid into this and 1/3 tonne of 20mm granite (left over from another job) was barrowed into the middle of the site and deployed via shovel and rake to form the sub bet for the track.

I am minded to lift the section I completed before the winter set in and re work it to the same (higher) standard.

Battend track manufacture is next followed by it being laid and leveled.

Copious amounts of finer stuff, 6mm to dust (overscale but it works) will then be needed to top dress it all.

The big engineering work is the lift out bridge which will carry track on an approximately 3' 6" radius curve,

A curved ply edifice using Barry Norman's twin ply beam construction is the preferred method.  

It will be lifted out and stored when not in use.

The usual salutations,commiserations or supportive mutterings are sent as appropriate.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 17

"sweeping the pavement"-no wonder Dom's pictures of Germany are so litter-free if everyone has this attitude.

Not everyone!  We have our fair share of litter - However, we are supposed to sweep the pavement, gutter and theoretically to the middle of the road twice a week, and before every bank-holiday.

As I have a corner plot, that involves quite a lot of sweeping, I only usually do it once a week (as do most of my neighbours)

There isn't usually a lot of litter - most of it is dust, cigarette butts and the occasional sweet/ chocolate wrapper, or sandwich (I live opposite a primary school!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Cuckoo! I heard one loud and clear this morning in St Cosme, while brushing Varian. I think it was Delius who was so struck by the occasion that he composed music more or less on the spot. 

Doctor phoned, and I have an appointment for 1500 today, but not with the usual sourpuss. Yet to discover whether it's a locum or new incumbent. I know they have been struggling to get doctors to practise hereabouts, and the age profile of the incumbents is frighteningly high. 

Cuckoo! I heard one loud and clear this morning in St Cosme, while brushing Varian. I think it was Delius who was so struck by the occasion that he composed music more or less on the spot..............

It's entitled "On Hearing The First Cuckoo In Spring".

• Like 3

Morning all.

Blue skies here, but cool.

No real news, had a nice galette (Le Complet) for lunch yesterday and used up some old croissants with cheese and smoked ham for dinner (10 minutes in hot oven). Blood glucose looking good, weight down, so happy about my appointment with Nurse Betty in a week's time...  The new medication seems to have worked in terms of reducing my appetite.

Nothing much happening today, the planks still need to be cut and the back patio power-washed, but there's plenty of time for that. The sun may come out.

Best wishes to all those in strife, especially the Jockster.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Best wishes to all those in strife, especially the Jockster.

Amen to that (says this atheist!), but I am intrigued every time I hear a name combined with the -ster suffix. I recall Sherry's son-in-law doing the same with her daughter's name. Can anyone tell me the etymology, please?

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast this morning but only the odd shower predicted. Taking a walk down the road to sort out the insurance with regard to Saturdays accident, having the brokers office at the end of my street is very useful, then a stroll into town as I am reluctant to use the car until the door mirror is fixed. In the news this morning about an international tax dodging operation has come to light in Panama, Australian and New Zealand authorities are already on the case which involves people such as senior politicians as well as a few dictators past and present http://www.reuters.com/article/us-panama-tax-idUSKCN0X10C2

Hope everyone has a good day, be back later.

• Like 5