The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

At least one microscopic thing went right. Turns out the hotel I booked in Brussels next weekend had charged my card when they shouldn't have. Looks like that oops has saved me around £20.

That has happened to me for the hotel on the Oregon Coast whihc now turns out a good thing as it wasnt cheap.

Same thing has happened ot the hotel on Las Vegas on our winter trip.

However the currency exchange place has wriggled out of my order stating a volatile market to do so. B****r.

This lunchtime I have been on and cancelled the hotel we were staying in in Portland as the exchange rate has added nearly a £100 to the two nights so found a cheaper one nearby which gets a good write up and whilst not that cheap its worked out quite a bit cheaper than the cancelled one before the £ headed South.

Luckily the other expensive night is a free night using the hotel chain points

Seems this is called for this morning;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

The GOOD news - as already pointed out by Rick - I seem to have received an overnight offer for 5-10% off anything in the "shop" depending on how long I wait, and it may even get "better" than that!

I'll be watching in eager anticipation of snagging a Hattons 2-HAL (already super cheap) for even fewer pennies on the dollar :O

The BAD - not taking sides, BUT, given the "Donald" has said it's a great thing, it should be obvious to anyone that it wasn't, as ANYTHING he thinks is good/great is generally the worst idea/option available :(

Maybe you can recruit him for No 10, however since he seems to have a particular liking for Scottish land to build expensive golf courses/resorts maybe he'll become King of Scotland instead. Please, PLEASE keep him over there :jester: (hopefully not too political to get me banned!!)

On to POETS day and also the day I escape the dungeon again for my return to Minnesota, so guaranteed a POE, at least from the dungeon.

Yesterday was a bigger flustercuck than Wednesday. Notably because the VP of Finance (the person WITH a clue and who gets sh!t done) was out for the day. I attempted a couple of "tricks" I thought might work, but to no avail. Anarchy reigned with no sight or sound of the PM to correct the issues preventing the directors access to their dashboards/reports. That item was/is expected to be available TODAY at the latest. :banghead:  

I'm expecting a whirlwind any minute now when she returns, discovers arsewipe PM hasn't done sh!t, and goes into a tail-spin pleading with me to somehow figure it out, "whatever it takes". This is doubly difficult as I have to leave here by 1:30PM for my plane :scratchhead: Excrement hitting rotating objects is probably the definition that fits. 

My "bright side" will be stopping in to the train shop on the way to the airport and picking up a couple of points, more replacements for the much coarser '80s versions I'm slowly replacing on the layout. Good chance of SOME modeling this weekend.

20 sunny and very pleasant driving in this morning, expecting 26 for a high, and with that sort of weather and NO reports of high winds (so far, fingers crossed) should be an on-time departure this afternoon. Of course, having actually been so brash as to POST THAT, I probably jinxed it :butcher:

Another popular bon mot - "cheer up, things could be worse...", "so I cheered up, and sure enough things got worse" :declare:

POE if you can, consider you have a weekend ahead to take stock and enjoy something.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

.... Someone mentioned people's personal circs. ....

That might have been me. I remember your worries re. access to healthcare from a previous post a month or two back. Though anecdotal evidence doesn't have the weight of numbers I find that the personal helps flesh out the wider repercussions of something which might otherwise be a bit abstract.

it is interesting that Mrs S has said it is democratically unacceptable that Scotland would be taken out of the EU against its will. But so will London with 1 1/2 x the population. I wonder what would have happened if the majority in Scotland had just tipped the rest of the UK into Remain. If she finds that hypothesis democratically acceptable, then there should be no second referendum. If not, then fine, her position is consistent.

Not intended to be political, more an exercise in logic

A further exercise in logic would be to examine the rights and wrongs of leaving Europe based on the stated preference of 37% of those entitled to vote.

• Like 8

That might have been me. I remember your worries re. access to healthcare from a previous post a month or two back. Though anecdotal evidence doesn't have the weight of numbers I find that the personal helps flesh out the wider repercussions of something which might otherwise be a bit abstract.

A further exercise in logic would be to examine the rights and wrongs of leaving Europe based on the stated preference of 37% of those entitled to vote.

Disappointed as I am with the result, I don't think that the views of the non-voters should be considered, or at least should be assumed to be in the same proportion as those who did vote. On reflection (so easy) it would have been better to include a clause such as a vote for other than the status quo would need to be 66% or similar. But we are where we are and we need to get on with it. Those who voted out will want to see some monetary savings and some reduction in EU  powers sooner rather than later.

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well I can report from Blighty that both Jeremy Vine and his Radio Two show is every bit as appalling "post Brexit" as it was before.

I suspect it may well have proved even more unbearably nauseating had the vote gone the other way.

So there's another small consolation for us poor saps, as we all fall through the vortex of despair and spiral uncontrollably down into the abyss of uncertainty and economic disaster - which destiny we have been so assuredly promised by the great and the good over the last few weeks.

What larks!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice afternoon here.

I shall try not to stab myself. I have found my oil stone and have been tasked with improving a number of secateurs. However as Aditi has been researching new ones I suspect she would be content for me to fail.

Tony

Well I can report from Blighty that both Jeremy Vine and his Radio Two show is every bit as appalling "post Brexit" as it was before.

I suspect it may well have proved even more unbearably nauseating had the vote gone the other way.

So there's another small consolation for us poor saps, as we all fall through the vortex of despair and spiral uncontrollably down into the abyss of uncertainty and economic disaster - which destiny we have been so assuredly promised by the great and the good over the last few weeks.

What larks!

I cannot stop singing "There maybe trouble ahead". :rtfm:

• Like 1

George Carlin once said, 'Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.'

This doesn't necessarily just apply to the political doings of the moment but of society in general.

See also office coworkers, clients, management, etc.

Sorry to be a bit late with this, but if you saw the video, on Farcebook this morning, of the young lady being asked about cutting a Hawiaiian(sp?) Pizza into 8 or 12 pieces  - you would realise just exactly HOW stupid some of the residents of UK actually are - it makes you wonder if they are fit to be allowed out on their own without a minder?

Are you thinking of next Monday when England and Iceland re-visit the Cod War?

Being from Hull, that's a subject I'd rather not talk about. We were the biggest fish lander in the country at one time and now one end of St. Andrew's dock is filled in for a retail park and the other end is derelict.

• RMweb Premium

String dampened, and we seem to be on line from the People's Republic of Oxfordshire.  Keeps raining, we should have stayed at home!

We already were not in the EU of course (back home....) but the exit will affect us, I should imagine.  More than that I will keep to myself.

OD - Renault OWN Nissan, so that will be an interesting one to watch in Sunderland.  Or Washington strictly speaking, but they are just about the only people who employ anyone in Sunderland.

Awaiting arrival of elderly relative from Cornwall, Aunt Cockwomble :butcher: .  Or should that be Aunt Cockpiskie?  Only two days but my patience may be tried.  We only bother as her hubby is a really nice bloke, and as there are something like 23 years between them he might not be around much longer.  May be forced to drown myself in local brews, but Brakespears isn't what it was. :help:

Also just found out there is a mega cycle event here in Wallington on Sunday, when we wanted to use the bus to go into Oxford - the road is closed.....  :umbrage:

• Like 14

Regarding my earlier post, the government is concerned about migrants arriving by sea in rubber boats provided by the French government.  As the Royal Navy is reduced to a couple of gunboats, they need to hire a fleet of launches from a third party to patrol the English Channel (or La Manche, as it must be called in future).  As a good little EU country, they've gone out to tender and the contract has been won by Govia.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

On a different topic, I've just had a text from the Blood Service to say my donation last week has been issued to Hammersmith Hospital. Not seen this before, but nice to know it's being used.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

String dampened, and we seem to be on line from the People's Republic of Oxfordshire.  Keeps raining, we should have stayed at home!

We already were not in the EU of course (back home....) but the exit will affect us, I should imagine.  More than that I will keep to myself.

OD - Renault OWN Nissan, so that will be an interesting one to watch in Sunderland.  Or Washington strictly speaking, but they are just about the only people who employ anyone in Sunderland.

Awaiting arrival of elderly relative from Cornwall, Aunt Cockwomble :butcher: .  Or should that be Aunt Cockpiskie?  Only two days but my patience may be tried.  We only bother as her hubby is a really nice bloke, and as there are something like 23 years between them he might not be around much longer.  May be forced to drown myself in local brews, but Brakespears isn't what it was. :help:

Also just found out there is a mega cycle event here in Wallington on Sunday, when we wanted to use the bus to go into Oxford - the road is closed.....  :umbrage:

Welcome to Remainia (not that we can opt out of course).  Sorry about the Brakspears - in fact very sorry, sorry - really very, very sorry (the place of my first ever full time job as it happens, 50 years ago).

I think you'll find the road closures start at 10.00 - they did last year - so you might manage to escape although that could be a bit early for a 'bus on a Sunday in that neck of the woods. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Someone mentioned “irony” (I lost the place)? The most difficult thing to do on the internet is irony - especially when one lives in the ‘States where it is unheard of.

Best, Pete.

Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?

Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

• Like 2

You heard wrongly. Or better said: the Leave camp is spreading (more) lies :rolleyes

Dutch Master, whilst I agree with you that lies have been told, the info about Holland, Italy and France came, not via the BBC or another English propagandist but from RTL.

Lets discuss the Dutch, Italian and French possible referendums in a few months and if I heard wrongly I will buy you one of those delightful Dutch beers!

• Like 3

Regarding my earlier post, the government is concerned about migrants arriving by sea in rubber boats provided by the French government.  As the Royal Navy is reduced to a couple of gunboats, they need to hire a fleet of launches from a third party to patrol the English Channel (or La Manche, as it must be called in future).  As a good little EU country, they've gone out to tender and the contract has been won by Govia.

Bill

They should get Govia to manage the transportation of the migrants. With their track (excuse the pun) record they will soon become Outer Mongolia's problem.

• RMweb Gold

it is interesting that Mrs S has said it is democratically unacceptable that Scotland would be taken out of the EU against its will. But so will London with 1 1/2 x the population. I wonder what would have happened if the majority in Scotland had just tipped the rest of the UK into Remain. If she finds that hypothesis democratically acceptable, then there should be no second referendum. If not, then fine, her position is consistent.

Not intended to be political, more an exercise in logic

I don't think logic and politicians go together.

Don