The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Happy anniversary to Mr and Mrs DD. I would also like to apologise to you for the weather in North Wales today (and yesterday). This type of weather always occurs when we are in residence in my mother's cottage just outside Conwy. We seem to attract carp weather when we try to holiday in the UK.

The weather has prevented us from doing a lot of stuff outside, such as hedge trimming, and weed removal from the paving in front of the cottage. We are also trying to find a builder to come and replace a leaking Velux window, and also to re-render the outside of the cottage, as there is damp getting in. When the rain did finally relent last night, I was out trimming hedges at 10pm, then I started again before 8am, but onlay managed 10 minutes before the rain came back.

To add to the problems, the TV isn't working, as the cable from the Sky dish to the Sky box is leaking water, so will need to be replaced. On the good side, that did mean that I was spared the trial of having to watch the England v Iceland shambles.

The next problem looming as that the weather on Friday doesn't look good, and that is the day my brother and I are supposed to be doing the zip wire at Bethesda, which we were due to do last year, but it was cancelled due to the wind and rain. I can see the same happening again this year. The bl**dy thing is fated.

It is unusual for a Velux window to leak when they do it is usually down to poor flashing round it and/or the cut tiles round it slipping. One advantage of a Velux is all the work can be done from inside (including installing in the first place). It is a little tricky lifting the opening frame out until you get the knack. You lift it up and twist diagonally to allow it to be dropped down inside.

You say the Sky cable is leaking water if it is coming down the inside of the cable it needs attention at the top to stop it getting in. Once in the sheath acts like a mini hose pipe. If it is running down the out side of the cable the problem may be that the fitter drilled the entry hole at the wrong angle all cable entry holes should be drilled so they slope down to the outside. That way any water will not enter the house.

Don 

• RMweb Gold

All hope of getting my rifles check zeroed this afternoon has been cancelled due to the slightly adverse conditions.

Theoretically, I could fire from inside the conservatory, but one must remember to open the doors at the end. However, at the other end, the paper targets would not be conducive to accuracy, as they floated down the lawn.

It has rained sufficiently so I don't have any muddy hollows.  Merely a few ditches of fresh, clean and clear water.

At least you can see the potential mud on the bottom.

This afternoon I need to go for a hair cut, and pick up some dog food for Elsa, who must be down to her last quarter tonne or so.

I also need to go and pick up the rifle charging tanks from the local dive centre.

Not taking them to S Wales tomorrow might be a tad embarrassing.

• Like 1

"So" said Mrs HB, as she departed to her Mother's this morning, "keep your eye on the weather and bring the washing in if it starts raining".

Oops.

Posted from my little cupboard under the stairs where I shall remain until it's safe to come out the beer runs out.

It is unusual for a Velux window to leak when they do it is usually down to poor flashing round it and/or the cut tiles round it slipping. One advantage of a Velux is all the work can be done from inside (including installing in the first place). It is a little tricky lifting the opening frame out until you get the knack. You lift it up and twist diagonally to allow it to be dropped down inside.

You say the Sky cable is leaking water if it is coming down the inside of the cable it needs attention at the top to stop it getting in. Once in the sheath acts like a mini hose pipe. If it is running down the out side of the cable the problem may be that the fitter drilled the entry hole at the wrong angle all cable entry holes should be drilled so they slope down to the outside. That way any water will not enter the house.

Don

Thanks for the advice, Don.

It isn't actually a Velux window, but some type of imitation as far as I can tell. It is actually the opening frame that is leaking in. It was sorted for a while by the use of mastic, but the leak has come back.

The water is running down the inside of the Sky cable, so we need to get an aerial installer to come and take a look at it.

At least the rain has stopped for now, so hedge trimming has restarted. Now having a rest and some lunch!

Conway is one of my favourite places.

Good chips to eat on the harbour, boats to look at and the occasional sight of Hercules in formation flying just over the bridge.

One of the many smallest houses in Wales.

I'm going to donate my muscles to the museum in my Will.

We have seen the Hercules before now as they come up the valley from Conwy. IIRC there are usually 3 in formation, and a wonderful sight they make.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all, and happy anniversary to DD and his better half, first of all!

Was out for food shopping and stuff before noon and continue to take things lazy today. Need to revisit the dentist for permanent fillings after the root canal thing earlier this month, so only a half shift is on the agenda.

More Western Shuttle work this weekend, as well as Tuesday and indeed Thursday next week. I keep wondering how there appear to be rather many drivers who do not seem to like this service and ask for shift changes. I mean, I do realise that other drivers may have different preferences than me and am, of course, not complaining. Though to me personally, it's a nice change from our regular shifts.

Best wishes to y'all, boys and gals!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good grief Mick,  that's appalling!

No wonder you are finding it hard to concentrate.

Better to put this in a separate posting… That is horrible just to imagine indeed. I hope everything turned out all right with the little guy, Mick.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Happy anniversary to Mr &Mrs DD.  Having been duly chiropracted and Tesco shopping done that's it and I'm in until I need to go and collect the good Doctor from RDA this afternoon and keep clear of the town where the Regatta is underway and the roads are seemingly occupied by rude, pea brained, cockwombles casting around the town looking for a parking place within a mile or three of the riverside (the pay car parks probably being empty - but they need the money for their glasses of Pimms and or Starmucks).

And talking of pea brained cockwombles I see they have managed to get the discussion thread about the referendum closed down through introducing politics and personal mud slinging aimed at other posters - why does this sort of stupidity have to happen among grown adults?

Have a  good day one and all.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone.

The sun lost, the rain won. Started raining about 10 minutes into my journey and didn't stop until about 1:15pm. Luckily my work has kept me inside for most of the day, so I've not gotten too wet!

Dinner has been consumed and the tea has been drunk. The kettle has been working overtime today as it's quite cool 16C. I'll start to pack my gear back into the car shortly and head for home.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 11

Afternoon all, and it's a somewhat damp one here. Persisting down, in truth.

Mick, every best wish and positive thoughts for this young person. I'm sure you will make a huge difference to his outlook. KBO, as our man in Clacton would say!

On a brighter note an interesting parcel arrived this morning. Having completed my mornings paperwork I got the chance to open it and it turns out to be some new rolling stock. I hope to get time to put a photo or two on my layout thread later.

• Like 9

a little lad of 5 who wanted to die and attempted to kill himself yesterday. Sometimes I really miss my motorbike.

Best wishes to all that ail and Dave well done for giving Is what she obviously needed.

Would (or should) upset everyone

Edited by laurenceb

For those that may have missed it, Google "David Tennant Insults". Definitely some new material for the ER lexicon. (It's been a little while, but I used to go to dances at the church where Tennant's dad was the minister.)

Agreed - actually Samantha Bee/Full Frontal is generally very entertaining, but ESPECIALLY this past weeks' episode which the David Tennat clip is a part, well worth watching and you'll find a couple of youtube segments "Rue Britannia" and "Oh Sh!t BREXIT" are likely to give you all a good laugh.

And talking of pea brained cockwombles I see they have managed to get the discussion thread about the referendum closed down through introducing politics and personal mud slinging aimed at other posters - why does this sort of stupidity have to happen among grown adults?

Sadly I'm not surprised  :butcher:

I am totally amazed it lasted as long as it did. Kudos to Andy for letting it run, but of course some arsebucket cockwombles would have to ruin it, rather than maintaining a more mature RMWeb aire. Then again, they're NOT "grown adults" as indicated by their actions. :rtfm:  :protest:  :banghead:

On to HUMP day, nothing to report from yesterday at all.

Driving in on my once-a-week visit to the office was early than normal, and adding the fact that all the schools are "out" now, totally devoid of Chelsea tractor mums and brats, and rather a pleasant trip.

This is the last time in "this office" as we have the movers coming today at 1PM to pack us up and move us to a new office (more space) but only about 2 blocks away. So the same trip will happen, but the office will be larger and soon as I can (next week) I'll try and post something in the way of our new "view". Right now never posted anything as we have NO VIEW, being in an inside space on the ground floor of a building. No exterior views at all, except from the small reception area which looks directly out onto the office building entrance hall.

I shall depart after lunch, leave the movers to it, and re-appear next week in the new space - ta da :blind:

21 and mostly sunny driving in, perfect morning weather, expecting 26-27 for a high.

Hope your hump day is everything you wish for and more :jester:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of locked threads and pea brained cockwombles.

The thing I like about ER's is the fact that we can all have our own opinions, we can all differ wildly with others on a wide variety of subjects and NO ONE falls out with ANYONE and we NEVER try to force OUR opinion upon others.

I think it shows how supportive and mature we ALL are on here.

Let's keep it that way.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for causing upset, the kids I work with or for are the ones born holding the ###### end of the stick.

Elise worked at a refuge for teenage and disadvantaged single mothers and children in her first job, so I guess I can imagine what you mean, Mick.

• RMweb Premium

Well we have had more rain but my work has been mainly inside the house. I did go out and had my ears loweredearlier and got very wet getting back to the car. Hey ho a minor disturbance compared to others.

I have moved my 2nd bookcase into my supposed model railway room (aka the loft conversion) and have got most of my books moved up there.

Stay calm, nearly time for tea!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Mick - that sounds a real bummer and I can only offer my virtual support.

Happy Anniversary to DD and Mrs DD.

John, good luck with the procedure.  I know what that prep stuff is like, as 30747 has had to consume the stuff several times now, and it really isn't that pleasant, but it does ensure that the innards are clear. 

Generic greetings to everybody else, though all posts have been read, rated, and digested.

For me, I had a really cockwomble day due to p*ss poor driving from other road users, including an episode of following an artic down a minor road barely suitable for a van, let alone a 40 footer, then onto a B road.  Clearly following a sat-nav, as he stopped at one point to try to decide which turn to take, both of which wound up on the A683, but at different points, and and as he deicded, I went the other way,  Also a number of clowns who clearly didn't follow  "overtake only where safe to do so".  Two tried to pass me in unsafe places, and one in a Range Rover overtook on a double white line into my path.

Anyway, back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advice, Don.

It isn't actually a Velux window, but some type of imitation as far as I can tell. It is actually the opening frame that is leaking in. It was sorted for a while by the use of mastic, but the leak has come back.

The water is running down the inside of the Sky cable, so we need to get an aerial installer to come and take a look at it.

At least the rain has stopped for now, so hedge trimming has restarted. Now having a rest and some lunch!

Ah it may be cheaper to replace it than trying to fix it. I had some mist up inside (really quite old) and took the opening frames out and found the double glazed units were no longer holding together. I carefully measured them and ordered some new ones (you have to specify the width of the spaer as well as the overall size) and fitted them. Despite their condition no rain had come in. However if the frame is leaking I am not sure if it would be repairable.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Happy anniversary to Mr &Mrs DD.  Having been duly chiropracted and Tesco shopping done that's it and I'm in until I need to go and collect the good Doctor from RDA this afternoon and keep clear of the town where the Regatta is underway and the roads are seemingly occupied by rude, pea brained, cockwombles casting around the town looking for a parking place within a mile or three of the riverside (the pay car parks probably being empty - but they need the money for their glasses of Pimms and or Starmucks).

Have a  good day one and all.

I think the correct term for them is  ' A Dolt'

Don

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  Now ensconced on a campsite in Dorset, near Bridport.  It's a bit....regimented.  Lots of notices everywhere telling what you can't do.  Must be ex-army.....

Went down to West Bay at Bridport this evening for fish n chips.......ah.  Not quite what we expected!  Somewhat kiss-me-quick and rather run down looking, not really our thing at all.  Still, the campsite will do while we visit Peco and the Seaton Tramway tomorrow.  We visited Tyntesfield near Brizzle on the way down, a magnificent house but it has lost something compared to our earlier visit when it was rather more informal.

Absolutely knackered actually so I think an early night (for sleep....) is called for.

May those in need get support.  I also sympathise with Mick, as in my old job we also mostly dealt with young people from the harder end of life (and the odd posh one that thought the law didn't apply to them).  It isn't an easy job, and I think Mick and the like deserve our thanks for the hard job they do.  I'm certainly glad I'm out of it, 9 years was enough!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening, back from shopping in Aberystwyth. An unusual sight in Morrisons car park an early Allegro in baby poo brown. Must be thye week for old cars and shopping as coming out of the Machynlleth Coop car park on Monday evening was a yellow Ford Capri.

I've also been thinking about motoring cockwombles. If I understand correctly (and there's every chance I may not) there are two sorts. Captain Kernow has identified the slow moving cockwomble whereas a couple of hundered miles further north Judge Dreadful notes the over fast tailgating variety of the species. This leads me to wonder that if the two gentlemen were to be driving along the same stretch of the road would they be each others cockwomble?